[FM19] Guernsey Football Club - The Green Lions

Feliks

201px-Guernsey_F.C..svg.png

GUERNSEY FOOTBALL CLUB

I've always enjoyed reading about or doing saves that have a restriction on the place of birth or origin of players, with homegrown being my preferred way of playing FM. It started off with only signing Australians playing as Melbourne City, before progressing to only academy products at Ajax, and finally completing the Lisbon Lions challenge and winning the Champions League at Celtic with only Glaswegians. A recent save on this site took over the most westerly club in England, in Cornwall, and turned them into a group of homegrown heroes, and I wanted to do a similarly geographic theme for my attempt.

I've decided to take over Guernsey FC, founded in 2011 to give the small Channel Island (population 63,000) a chance to progress through the English non-league system. Currently in the Isthmian Southeast Division 1 in the 8th level of the pyramid, they have 2 trophies under their belt and at  one point played in the 7th tier before falling down in 2017/18. I will be taking over as an uncredentialed local manager, and using the editor to make myself unsackable and immediately remove all non-Guernsey born players from the squad. The updates will begin after the conclusion of my first season.

Aim

To win the Champions League with Guernsey FC whilst using players only born on the island.

Rules

• I am not allowed to play or sign someone not born in Guernsey at any point throughout the save, including loans. Youth candidates born elsewhere cannot be signed and must be immediately released.
  • I am allowed to sign or loan players from other clubs so long as they were born in Guernsey, I am not limited to just my own youth candidates.

Hope you enjoy!

Progress

Season      League                       Pos
2018/19     Isthmian Southeast Div 1     10th
2019/20     Isthmian Southeast Div 1     11th

2018/19 RECAP

My first season was rather ordinary but it would be stupid of me to expect instant fireworks with such a limited scope of players. We solidified our position in the league, saw some youngsters flourish, and sit in a very healthy position financially.

League | Isthmian Southeast Division 1, 8th tier97c6bdb821313d3b5fa57ca9a1ac7dcf.png

Cups | FA Cup; FA Trophy; Alan Turvey Cup
6255d6a3bf16e18938c8d14744af2a3d.png

Better Players
Ryan Zico-Black - 37yo left winger, 44 games, 13 goals, 10 assists, 7.02 rating
Jordan Kelly - 20yo goalkeeper, 50 games, 16 clean sheets, 6.89 rating
Jacob Fallaize - 20yo centre back, 48 games, 3 PoM, 6.85 rating

Youth Intake
James Wales - attacking midfielder with good determination, decision making and work rate
Brad Williams - pacy, hard working winger
Sammy McDonald - adventurous and unpredictable midfielder

All in all a very average season, but we'll continue to slowly work towards our goals and try and establish a robust starting XI. I have a lot of young players but also a few reaching the back end of their career so I look forward to seeing how we progress or if we go backwards in 2019/20.

On 26/02/2019 at 00:02, MAMRICCA said:

is there any good actual player born in Guernsey like PL or Championship level?

good luck!

The best player I've found so far from Guernsey is James Harmon, a 23 year old goalkeeper for Exeter in League 2 who actually started at Guernsey FC.

2019/20 OVERVIEW

It was another fairly average season but this will be a long save and I saw some big positives with some of our younger players coming on in leaps and bounds.

League Table

dc12bf26fc6268a083e13c0dba53ddf0.png

We finished in a very comfortable mid-table position, which vastly exceeded the board's expectations of fighting bravely from relegation. For most of the season we were battling around 13th to 15th but an insane run of form towards the back end of the season had me at one point dreaming of playoffs before we dropped away again. It was helped by the fact we were absolutely horrid in the cups as you'll see below:

b43f0d59a60410dcfe416eb19d53141d.png

Best Eleven
535ccb8ea24e61873132fa4cb7e1c01e.png
Jordan Kelly; Danny White, Jacob Fallaize, Jamie Dodd, Liam Mahon; Tom de la Mare, Charlton Gauvain; Matt Loaring, James Wales, Sammy McDonald; Robbie Legg

Youth Intake

It was another average youth intake this season, marred by the fact that the best prospect was born in Ireland and had to go. After 3 players from the intake (White, Wales and McDonald) made my Best Eleven last season, I hoped we could unearth some more gems this time around. One player from the intake, Tom Baxter, became the club's youngest ever player at just 15 years 241 days.

Tom Baxter
Liam Stewart
Andrew Helm

Next Season

I still think we're a few seasons away from promotion but we'll keep on battling and keep putting games into some promising youngsters in the hope we can develop a decent team of Guernsey players.

2020/21 OVERVIEW

Well, it had to come eventually. After a couple of seasons hanging on, we've been relegated from the 8th tier down into the 9th and it's time to focus fully on youth development so we can rocket back up the leagues.

League

bdc13bb584be216ddad7af57fffd9ca7.png

My tactics were very clearly found out as we failed to win a game after January and so we'll be heading down into the 9th tier next season with a very young squad.

Cups

95824be763402e46400dcefe45af86a8.png

Another poor season in the cups as well.

Best Eleven

8f6c257109369d57a775a799e25db20e.png

Jordan Kelly; Connor Raggett, Jacob Fallaize, Jamie Dodd, Paul Lindsey; Charlton Gauvain, Tom Baxter; Brad Williams, James Wales, Liam Stewart; Robbie Legg

Youth Intake

In such a poor season, the one silver lining was the fact we had a superb youth intake.

Ryan Lee - already our best  player
Connor Hudson
Pat O'Neil
Gareth Relf

Next Season

We're set to drop down a division and so I'm gonna to purely focus on developing these youngsters. I'm going to cut some of the older and more expensive players in the lineup because I think we have enough quality and potential to stay up for a couple of seasons before moving onwards and upwards once they finish developing.

11 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I love a failed campaign, me :D

I'll be rooting for you next season. Out of interest, have you ticked a 'no-sack' box or has your board tolerated your relegation in keeping you in a job? What did they say about it?

I've made myself unsackable in the in-game editor in anticipation of relegations. :)

5 hours ago, Fosse said:

Have you considered all Channel Islanders or is it Guernsey only?

Just Guernsey. Jersey actually produces some decent regens at big clubs whereas all the Guernsey regens come through me. Ultimately though it's Guernsey FC not Channel Islands FC so I've stayed true.

5 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I can relate to them. :D

Quite amusing when your best player with 5* CA has just come through your youth set up.

My normal modus operandum is to cling on avoiding relegation in the first season and wait until March for the first intake to bail me out. By the end of the second season I generally have a full squad of intakes with maybe one original old warhorse amongst the 15 and 16 year olds.

Had a thought to do the same, but then decided I wasn't insane enough to try it. Good luck, hopefully once enough years have passed for you to get enough decent regens, you should be able to climb your way up the leagues.

Archived