FM19- My never ending tactical struggle...

Hey mates

Really struggling here with fm19 with tactics and was hoping you tactical geniuses would be able to give me your two cents on where I'm going wrong :seagull:

I'm trying to prevent my passes from being intercepted in FM19. It appears that most of my forwards are being marked out of the game and our players passes are being intercepted by the opposition, literally can see my players pass to another player when theres blatantly another opposition player in front of the ball.

I know that I've just answered my own question that I need to work on my roles but this is where I struggle, no matter how much freedom or roles I give my players it seems they are just being marked out of the game!

This lead to terrible attacking of the ball. I have tried to fix the midfield by having a ''sitter, runner and creator'' but this makes zero difference...

My last issue is defending counters, I'm looking at you M.Salah. Having a HB or BWM doesn't seem to do much to stop players from running right through all 4 of my defenders.

I have tried a few different tactics, all pre-set from FM + Tweaks. ''Soaking up pressure'' preset does nothing but watch my team be torn apart and pretty much ball watch.

I understand that you need to establish what your players can and cant do but from what I'm seeing my players attributes are more than capable to attack with their ACC+PACE+FLAIR+DRIBBLING+OFFTHEBALL

When it comes to controlling the midfield my players have good passing, composure and teamwork.

Finally my defenders, they're not the quickest of the bunch but they have excellent positioning, stamina, tackling and marking attributes, why are they being dominated by even the most average attackers? I'm not even talking about Salah, I know he is a machine but just anyone with some quickness seem to have a field day around my defence and midfield..

Here's my tactic(s)...

2034057113_Screenshot2018-10-28at12_04_07.thumb.png.49427234faad1df14535f301ff21d9d6.png

1354827181_Screenshot2018-10-28at12_05_40.thumb.png.066e49810f91bea982c8f758b6ffc0d7.png

Judging by the black-and-white combination, I would say you are Newcastle, right? Now, there are various ways to make your tactics (both 4231 and 4123) more solid. Let's begin with roles and duties in your 4231. If I managed your team, I would know exactly what tactics I would use and why, because I would know each player and thus be able to make right decisions. But since I don't have sufficient information, I can only give you some vague suggestions. For example:

PFs

APMs       SS        IFa

BtBM   DLPs

FBa   CDc     CDd    WBs

SKd/s

Or:

PFa

APMs      AMs        Wa

CMa    DLPs

IWBd   CDc    CDd     FBs

SKd/s

Or:

DLFa

IFs       APMs        Wa

CAR   BtBM

FBa    CDc    CDd    IWBd

SKd/s

Or maybe 4231 is simply not the right choice for your team (players), so you might consider its deeper version (with 2DMs). Maybe something like this:

F9

IFs      APMs      Wa

ACM   VOLs

FBa    CDc    CDd     FBs

SWKd

Or something to that effect.

As for your team instructions (in 4231), the first thing I would remove is "Pass Into Space". The second is lower d-line and "no urgency" (I'd leave both on default/normal/standard) and see what happens. Because a formation such as 4231 (with MCs) is not the best choice if you wanna play with a deeper d-line (and vice versa).

I'll analyze your other tactic (4123) later.

Some things that work for me with all tactical styles

1. Tactical success requires consistency. Stop tweaking so much. Ideally have two shapes maximum.
  2. Stick to your philosophy. I have success using only one base set of instructions, which I keep simple. I can easily change this to more attacking or defensive properties mid-game via mentality, pressing intensity, changing the line etc.
  3. Same with player instructions, just minor tweaks that you adjust in accordance with your individual players attributes: e.g. sucks at shooting (shoot less often), poor vision (fewer risky passes) etc.
  4. Familiarity in all areas helps with player performance. Take control of training and use Match Prep training a day or two before games.
  5. Balancing the ratios of defend, support and attack player duties in accordance with your mentality. Cautious menality = less attacking roles. Attacking = more attacking. Defensive = more defending. Control = support with more attacking than cautious/flexible etc. This means you need to have players that suit these roles in your philosophy, so you have more success when you can play a player in his strongest role but at the same time you keep good balance within the team.
  6. Balancing the ratios of defend, support, attack in accordance with your shape. e.g. midfield triangles have defensive (DM(D), CM(D), support link (DLP, CM(S) and more attacking player (B2B, MEZ, AP) or utility like BWM(S) / midfield duo: for less risk CM(D) + DLP(S) or CM(D or S) + B2B for more risk. Wing Back Attack and Inside Forward Attack can work, but not as well as having one on support or defend, or both support. Depends on the football.. you can focus one flank like that as long as you cover other areas with defensive players to make up for it.
  7. Don't have too many instructions (team and player)

Your role's look sound to me apart from the WB's on Au, do you want them doing anything in particular? A wide threat? An outlet from defence? To stay back in a back 4? I'm not even sure WB are the roles you want back their to be honest

The TIs could be your problem here, You say the CBs aren't very quick but you want them Counter-Pressing? Doesn't make sense to me. You're inviting the opponent to come at you, with your Cautious approach, then sitting back even more so you'll be very deep.  Having your team Counter Press, when you'll likely to be camped in your defensive third, is going to drag people of position & leave the opponent with footballing goal, space & gaps to play or run through

Short passing too? What for? You want to play keep ball with a counter based tactic? You wanna be lumping it over the opponent's back line after they've left so much shape back their, you want to be pinging it up the wings so you can use the space. This is why I'm unsure on the Wing Backs, they'll be looking to run with the ball, run wide, possibly loosing possession & leaving an opening behind them. you want some stability back their to soak up the attacks

As with the guy's running at you, put the tackles in on him, if his Bravery is low, he won't want to do it again ;) Man mark him, do they are a playmaker supplying him, man mark him. All sorts of things you can do 

Just my thoughts anyway pal  

In my opinion, it is not about the roles or PI settings. It is more about width and passing styles. If you set the width to be too narrow In attack, and too slow attacking speed, your wingers are hard to find space to create chances. That may be why your players easy to be marked. Also, If you can't create goal chances and loss the ball too often, you may under risk of counter attack. Try to adjust the width and pasaing distance to change the rythm. also can try to adjust the width of defence If find problem defending the opposite wingers. I understand you want to control the game In slow buiding up the attack but It didnt always works. So adjust depend on the how the match goes

Hey. The changes I d make to the first tactic is change fullbacks roles from automatic to at least putting one of them to support because right now with cautious mentality effectively you have 5 players on defend duty and your defense is isolated. Also, I d change shorter passing to mixed, I believe that with lower defensive line and fast players up front playing shorter passes limits your counter attacking options.

With the second tactic Id also consider dropping two cms to dm positions as it was suggested before. I d never play 4231 with lower defensive line, too much space between defense and midfield.

Sometimes there are other factors that have an effect on a tactic.  I often see my team make blatantly bad passes when they are not gelled and/or are not playing confidently, which can come down to a few good team talks.

Il 28/10/2018 in 16:59 , Experienced Defender ha scritto:

A giudicare dalla combinazione in bianco e nero, direi che tu sei Newcastle, giusto? Ora, ci sono vari modi per rendere più solide le tue tattiche (entrambe 4231 e 4123). Cominciamo con ruoli e doveri nel 4231. Se gestissi la tua squadra, saprei esattamente quali tattiche usare e perché, perché conoscerei ciascun giocatore e quindi sarei in grado di prendere le decisioni giuste. Ma dal momento che non ho informazioni sufficienti, posso solo darti alcuni suggerimenti vaghi. Per esempio:

FP

APM SS IFa

DLP BtBM

FBa   CDc     CDd    WBs

SKd / s

O:

PFa

APMs Wa Wa

CMa DLP

IWBd   CDc    CDd     FBs

SKd / s

O:

DLFa

IFs APM Wa

CAR BtBM

FBa    CDc    CDd    IWBd

SKd / s

O forse 4231 non è semplicemente la scelta giusta per la tua squadra (giocatori), quindi potresti considerare la sua versione più profonda (con 2DM). Forse qualcosa del genere:

F9

IFs APM Wa

VOL ACM

FBa    CDc    CDd     FBs

SWKd

O qualcosa in tal senso.

Per quanto riguarda le istruzioni della squadra (nel 4231), la prima cosa che rimuoverei è "Passa nello spazio". Il secondo è inferiore d-line e "nessuna urgenza" (vorrei lasciare entrambi su default / normale / standard) e vedere cosa succede. Perché una formazione come 4231 (con MCs) non è la scelta migliore se vuoi giocare con una D-Line più profonda (e viceversa).

Analizzerò la tua altra tattica (4123) più tardi.

"If I managed your team, I would know exactly what tactics I would use and why"  

what do you look at exactly?

47 minutes ago, Francesco1983 said:

what do you look at exactly?

Virtually everything.

- How many players I have for each position (squad depth) in order to see which possible formations can be taken into consideration (for example, if I have less than 4 strikers, I am unlikely to use a system that employs 2 strikers, except on occasion).

- I always look in detail at the Comparison section to see how we are faring compared to the rest of the league (where are our strengths and weaknesses in all areas of the game and tactic)

- Then I delve even deeper into the analysis of my squad (and each single player) until I have gained full knowledge of everything that's relevant :)

3 ore fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

Praticamente tutto.

- Quanti giocatori ho per ogni posizione (profondità della squadra) per vedere quali formazioni possibili possono essere prese in considerazione (per esempio, se ho meno di 4 attaccanti, è improbabile che utilizzi un sistema che impiega 2 attaccanti, eccetto all'occasione).

- Guardo sempre in dettaglio nella sezione Confronto per vedere come stiamo andando rispetto al resto del campionato (dove sono i nostri punti di forza e di debolezza in tutte le aree del gioco e della tattica)

- Poi approfondisco ancora di più l'analisi della mia squadra (e di ogni singolo giocatore) fino a quando non avrò acquisito piena conoscenza di tutto ciò che è rilevante :)

would you be so kind as to show me some screen especially of the second point? I've heard of it often, but honestly I do not know where and how to start.Thank's man

On 29/10/2018 at 22:27, Francesco1983 said:

would you be so kind as to show me some screen especially of the second point? I've heard of it often, but honestly I do not know where and how to start.Thank's man

It's a bit complicated for me to post a screenshot here, because I play FM on another computer (which is not mine own). But it's easy to find. Just go to (click on) the section called "Team Report" in your menu, and when it opens, select the option called "Comparison", where you can see how good your team is (on average) compared to the rest of the league in virtually all aspects of play (attributes). The "Squad Depth" option is also in the same (Team Report) section. There you can see how many players you have for each position and how suitable is each of them for playing in any specific position.

11 ore fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

È un po 'complicato per me pubblicare uno screenshot qui, perché suono FM su un altro computer (che non è mio). Ma è facile da trovare. Basta andare su (clicca su) la sezione chiamata "Rapporto squadra" nel tuo menu, e quando si apre, seleziona l'opzione chiamata "Confronto", dove puoi vedere quanto è buona la tua squadra (in media) rispetto al resto del lega praticamente in tutti gli aspetti del gioco (attributi). L'opzione "Squad Depth" si trova anche nella stessa sezione (Team Report). Qui puoi vedere quanti giocatori hai per ogni posizione e quanto è adatto ognuno di loro per giocare in una posizione specifica.

Yes, I know that :) , but I do not know how to create the tactics starting from those data. Example, if I see that my team has the highest teamwork,off the ball of the whole League what can I do in the game?

14 minutes ago, Francesco1983 said:

Yes, I know that :) , but I do not know how to create the tactics starting from those data. Example, if I see that my team has the highest teamwork,off the ball of the whole League what can I do in the game?

Well, only two attributes are not enough to make a definite decision on tactics, but high off the ball suggests that your team might be good for playing a counter-attacking style for example (not necessarily the counter mentality). Especially if acceleration is good as well. Btw, it's important to look at certain attributes not only for the entire team, but for each line (defense, midfield, attack). For example, off the ball is clearly more important for attacking players than for defenders. On the other hand, positioning is more important for defenders (and to some degree midfielders) than for attackers. Teamwork and work rate on the other hand are desirable for all players (the higher, the better). And so on :)

2 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

Bene, solo due attributi non sono sufficienti per prendere una decisione definitiva sulla tattica, ma il fuori campo suggerisce che la tua squadra potrebbe essere brava a giocare uno stile di contrattacco, ad esempio (non necessariamente la contro mentalità). Soprattutto se l'accelerazione è buona. A proposito, è importante guardare certi attributi non solo per l'intera squadra, ma per ogni linea (difesa, centrocampo, attacco). Ad esempio, la palla è chiaramente più importante per attaccare i giocatori che per i difensori. D'altra parte, il posizionamento è più importante per i difensori (e in una certa misura per i centrocampisti) che per gli attaccanti. Il lavoro di squadra e il tasso di lavoro d'altra parte sono desiderabili per tutti i giocatori (più alto, meglio è). E così via :)

I would really like to see some videos (even 5 hours if necessary) that explains these steps that I think are very important even before the tactics, moreover the FM forum is only in English and I have trouble understanding everything that is written.  :(   anyway I thank you

2 minutes ago, Francesco1983 said:

I would really like to see some videos (even 5 hours if necessary) that explains these steps that I think are very important even before the tactics, moreover the FM forum is only in English and I have trouble understanding everything that is written.  :(   anyway I thank you

Then I would recommend you to visit Rashidi's YouTube channel called BustTheNet. He has a lot of very good videos explaining virtually everything you need to know, especially in the "Getting started with" section. The only problem is that these videos are also in English, but you might give it a try anyway.

1 minuto fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

Quindi ti consiglierei di visitare il canale YouTube di Rashidi chiamato BustTheNet. Ha molti ottimi video che spiegano praticamente tutto ciò che devi sapere, specialmente nella sezione "Iniziare con". L'unico problema è che questi video sono anche in inglese, ma potresti provare comunque.

yes yes, I'm also a member of him, and I know that he is one of the mgiliori but there are concepts that for language reasons I can not understand. Other FM is an English game and therefore your "community" has more experience

Archived