[FM18] - Downham Market

argento

On 03/09/2018 at 18:38, dolph11 said:

Good read, this! Keep up the excellent progress!

21 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Well done winning the division Argento.

Cheers guys, appreciated!

August/September 2020

After a rocky start and with injuries piling up we seem to have finally found our rhythm winning our last 5 league games on the trot.  Being in the same league as Braintree reminds us how far we have come as we were playing their reserve side just 2 years ago.  Jon Parkin's age is showing as he has been quite injury prone so far, still I can forgive that when he is banging in 5 goals in an FA Cup tie.  After ten games we are lurking outside the play offs and Folkstone have already shown they are the team to beat as they have already opened an 8 point lead over their nearest rivals and the only team in the league to remain unbeaten.

Another club who has also enjoyed a meteoric rise like ourselves is Loughbourgh University who currently top the Northern Premier League whilst also remaining an amateur club and they have some top players.  Ashley Young, Bradley Johnson and Aaron Lennon all playing for free, none of them would entertain a semi pro contract for us, feeling they wouldn't be able to compete at that level anymore.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, kidthekid said:

wow, that's a team indeed

Be interesting to see how long they remain an amateur club and who else they can attract

October 2020

An undefeated month and we made progress in all cup competitions.  Couple of games in the league where we really should of won but we played a few of the teams around us so I am not too worried yet and we still managed to pick up 12/18 points and I would of took that going into the month. We are still near the play offs and have a few games in hand which would put us right back in the title mix

After a huge win over Blyth Spartans who are in play off contention in the Conference in the last qualifying round of the FA Cup (which included a bumper crowd of 940) we make the first round proper again and we have been drawn out against Shrewsbury at home.  Its a huge draw and could attract a good gate. 

We have reduced our debt to £55,000 because of the cup run, last time we made the first round our game was televised and we were given £75,000 it seems this year we will miss out which would of sorted us right out.  But it also seems are troubles could be over as local lad Peter Taylor wants to clear our debt.

Absolute scenes, as we shock the big boys.  We netted our best gate receipt yet and the prize money sees us down to only 20k in debt.  

Just had a look at the league requirements and the stadium needs to hold at least 1950.  The stadium which is still being built will only hold 1,300.  So I am not sure what will happen when we allegedly are due to move in at the end of the season

EDIT

We take on struggling Yeovil in the 2nd round after they overcame AFC Wimbledon in the 1st round replay. One more win could see us in with the big boys.  This should at least clear out debt

21 hours ago, ToMexico!! said:

Great work in here and lovely cup run! 

Loughborough will stay as an amateur club. I've seen some very good players there in a few saves, even Rooney once. Walcott another. 

I thought it might be hard wired, I've never seen them this high up the pyramid before either so we shall see

30646744898_545602610a_z_d.jpg

The wrong side of an 8 goal epic, the scoreline flatters us after we bagged a late brace as Mirza completed his hatrick.  Going down to ten men early on didn't help.  I fined Hughes a weeks wages and he kicked off wanting to leave so offered him mutual termination but he turned that down as well, I have since shoved him in the reserves for his insolence.

Takeover complete and debt has been cleared albeit for a small bank loan.  Delighted to be in the green again and used this to try and get the board to make some improvements.  Finally get a coaching course as well as an increase in youth recruitment with the club also extending my contract.  Good times to keep on rolling hopefully

On 05/09/2018 at 21:49, ToMexico!! said:

Great work in here and lovely cup run! 

Loughborough will stay as an amateur club. I've seen some very good players there in a few saves, even Rooney once. Walcott another. 

Yeah, I've seen them advance quite a long way in a couple of saves on here.

8 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Yeah, I've seen them advance quite a long way in a couple of saves on here.

They keep adding to their squad.  They've got Forestieri, Junior Hoilett and loads of other Championship/League One players 

November-December 2020

After our FA Cup run came to an end we also hit a rough patch in the league that has seen us crashing out of the play offs, we have a few games in hand which would put us back in the mix.  After three years of dominating we might have hit our plateau for our current side.  Can see there being a fair few players out the door end of the season

January-March 2021

We've been unable to sustain any sort of consistency this year and as such have dropped out of contention for promotion, its still possible but highly unlikely, losing 5-4 to Staines after going 3-0 up was a bitter blow and would've seen us back in the play offs at that point, home to Mersham as well we were winning 1-0 till Dean was sent off in the 82nd minute and we conceded twice.  Jon Parkin still banging the goals in but the 39 year old wont sign a new deal as he doesn't think he can keep up his form at this level.

5 games left and its a two horse race for the title, a few sides still lurking outside hoping for a play off spot but I think the top 5 is pretty much sorted at this point

April 2018

4 big wins as we have had a rather straight forward run in and combined with the capitulation of Staines we are now back in the play offs. Jenk Acar finally in the goals again after a 20 hour drought, couldn't of came at a better time.

Last game of the season we are home to Hornchurch whilst Staines look to overcome the now 2 point deficit against 7th place Lowestoft.

Some good news for us as well

Staines drew with Lowestoft so we were safe anyway but we still signed off the regular season with a win, Jon Parkin was outstanding in the first half but in the 2nd half he tired quite quickly.  I think he would still be useful for us but he still wont sign a new deal.

I thought the play offs would be 2nd v 5th and 3rd v 4th but it turns out its 4th v 5th.  One game only and we have home advantage

But it wasn't enough, a bumper crowd saw us outclassed by Royston.

Royston would go on to lose the final to Folkestone 1-0.

To be honest I am happy with the season, top 5 finish and a good FA Cup run that got us back in the black.  Now to push on and get promoted.

Pre Season 21/22

Not too much pressure then

Made some money this transfer window which helps since we are losing money every month, all of our FA Cup money has gone.  Also out the door is Jon Parkin who decided to hang up his boots and I released a few players rather than renew there deals.  My squad is bigger this year as we struggled at points of the season last year with suspensions and injuries.  Went a bit overboard on the strikers as 3 new ones came in, I still have Hunt and Mirza who have been here from the start, Hunt is on a non contract and is no longer as prolific so will be reduced to back up and although Mirza still scoring for fun the coaches aren't that impressed anymore so he may well have reached his level.  But with 222 goals in all competitions from 4 years I will not be releasing him just yet

So lets look at  a few of the new arrivals

Been in the Brighton youth set up past 4 years and looks a hell of a player, snagged him on a 2 year deal.  Him and Mirza partnership could be lethal

With Gooding and O'Leary still on their amateur deals and in their mid 30's and no longer the players I signed I decided I needed some more steel in the midfield which big Tyrone does.

Experienced striker who just a few years ago was banging in 40+ goals at a similar level with Dover and look at that photo, he looks genuinely happy to be here,

A good read and interesting career keep up the updates. I’m from kings Lynn so this thread is intriguing! Not sure if anyone has done a successful linnets save? Will you continue this when fm19 is out as you may run out of time before you get Downham to the football league! 

On 09/09/2018 at 22:44, argento said:

Experienced striker who just a few years ago was banging in 40+ goals at a similar level with Dover and look at that photo, he looks genuinely happy to be here,

Billedresultat for just happy to be here

11 hours ago, Delbrenno said:

A good read and interesting career keep up the updates. I’m from kings Lynn so this thread is intriguing! Not sure if anyone has done a successful linnets save? Will you continue this when fm19 is out as you may run out of time before you get Downham to the football league! 

Yeah I think I'll be cutting it fine, but normally I don't get the new one straight away, i'll be looking to keep this going for a while yet

August/September 2021

Huge win at home to Braintree to start the season right and new boy Cashman enjoying a great debut with a hatrick, although overall Ricky Miller has been the most consistent and has managed to get in ahead of Mirza temporarily.  Wins in both cups we are in so far so currently still in all competitions.  Could do with a cup run or a decent away gate as we are pretty broke again.

Just ahead in the league at the moment could be quite a close affair which would make it an interesting season 

Huge win even though Perry Ryan done his utmost to ruin it and that is his 4th red card in two years.  Mirza once again our hero taking up the mantle alongside Ricky Miller with Cashman out injured.  Good gate as well so we are currently 3 figures in the black for the first time in a while, how long we can keep it this way is another thing.

Our cup run hasn't gone unnoticed 

Went for the interview can't see me getting the job and I don't want it, just tried to get some youth facilities or a coaching course out of it but no dice.

Anyone who do we get in the 2nd round you ask?

Image result for wealdstone raider

Least he'd be right, we've got no fans but we do have a realistic shot at reaching the 3rd round!

October/November 2021

We've had a good few months as we progressed in all cup competitions, we picked up a fair few points in the league but we did throw a few games away most notably losing 3-2 in Cambridge after going 2-0 up, we also lost to bottom place Sudbury at home which was disappointing.  Huge win last game out with an 8-3 win with Mirza bagging 4. The board expect me to win the league and are currently very unhappy with our league position despite our 4 games in hand which if we won all would put us right bang in the mix.  

1 hour ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I'd have given Oldham serious consideration if you're thinking journeyman. It's quite a step up.

I've had a fair few opportunities but I feel I have unfinished business here, I would at least like to get into the football league.

Huge win against Wealdstone as we make the third round, wasn't a strong gate but we got just under £30k for winning which has helped us keep things afloat.  I've used the money in the bank to throw my weight around and make a few demands

Hoping this might be a start in getting a few decent prospects through the academy.

Now finally the FA Cup 3rd round draw

This is huge and should give us a decent profit off the gate. I'm not expecting a sell out but hopefully be a good attendance and here's hoping it gets selected for TV. 

Finally as our cup run continues I continually get linked to bigger clubs and here is the biggest one yet

Putting the FA Cup money to good use, finally got the junior coaching up slightly after 4 years of trying, hopefully the board don't back track on the youth facilities but as we are now out of the cup we will be losing money each month till the end of the season

Great result to send us into the final, Turner finally coming good and Mirza saving the day to take us into extra time.  Huge match in the final as we take on Margate.  I haven't won this trophy yet so would love to add it to our collection.  Margate are our direct competition for the league title which could go down to the wire.

Think Bury are too far out of it, but this could make for an epic last day.  Margate v Bury is huge in the penultimate game of the season.

90 minutes away from sealing the title, lets do this.

First half was tight not many chances and we head into the interval all square 0-0, Margate however storm into a 2-0 lead which seems them reduce the goal difference to single goal, this one is going to the wire

Bury 3-1 up now, ten minutes left and still just a goal in it, when all of a sudden there's a goal at the Downham Town Stadium....

A bad first touch from Corinthians full back Parsons and Mirza pounces robbing him of the ball in his own area and he squares it to Miller who is yards in space and 8 yards out sweeps it past the keeper!  

Despite a late scare we hold onto victory

Margate were a goal away from the league with ten minutes to go and now they have lost in the play off final against 5th place Canvey Island.

We then added to their misery when we lifted the Isthmian League Cup to complete a double

It was a great season for us and rightfully so we dominated the end of season awards

The board kept their promise and we finally get an increase in facilities.  Also with us getting into the Conference South our stadium isn't up to scatch as we need to increase the capacity to take us up to 3,000.  I used the editor to change the stadiums location to King's Lynn hoping we would get a more apt ground share after last time but sadly we are back in Bromley again.  Kinda annoying but it is just for one season,

Least they aren't asking me to win the title again. Press are expecting an 8th place position I would take that happily.

We trimmed the fat of the squad with a lot of fringe players heading out, I have remained loyal to the core of the squad but with each step up some players have just been collecting dust so figured i'd free up the wage bill for re-reinforcements for players who will contribute more.  With Andy Taylor and Gareth Dean approaching or already in their mid 30's I signed them to non-contract's on less than what I was paying them per week. 

13 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Great progress with Downham here, interesting to see your board want Top Half Finish. Do you feel you have the squad for the step up? 

I reckon we can compete, I've snapped up 6 players some on regular contracts and others on non-contract.  Of the players signed the stand outs are

Mitchell Allen - Will replace Cadle as number 1, the former Stoke academy player is a poor mans Butland but that will do at this level.

Tom Dele-Bashiru - The Nigerian U'21 International and ex Palace and Man City midfielder will walk into the first 11.

End of Year Report 2022

We have had a fantastic start to the season as the reinforcements brought in have helped us reach the summit of the Conference South.  Ricky Miller and Dan Cashman proving to be a lethal combination.  We had a good run in the FA Cup which including a 2-2 draw at Swindon which got us a decent gate but we came up short in the replay.

I signed a few more players I Signed Irish striker Ramadan who left Bury and has scored 90 league goals in 3 seasons, however he wasn't up to scratch and as he was on a non-contract agreement I let him go.

I managed to bag Baker-Richardson who I tried to sign in the summer but he wanted £1,000 a week which was way too much for us to afford but he has since come to reason scoring 3 times and grabbing 3 assists in 5 starts.

Perry Ryan has been a great servant in the middle of the park but his disciplinary problems keep causing suspensions and victories, Dinsmore and Howell are struggling at this level so I brought in Kenyon here, it helps he can also play at centre half to deputise there when we are short.  He has been playing in Conference and League 2 with Wycombe so he is used to this level

League is extremely close with Woking proving to be a decent threat this year.

With the gate receipts from our games with Swindon I was able to convince the board to improve our junior coaching and youth recruitment, neither is where I want it to be an i'm still yet to have a top prospect

With no cup games in the back half of the season we were able to focus on the league and thanks to Miller and Cashman who have fired us to hopefully go all the way

With just one game left to play its all in the balance as Woking have matched us all year, with our superior goal difference the odds are in our favour.  Woking are away to Chelmsford whilst we travel to AFC Totton.  

Here we go boys, destiny awaits.

4th Minute Woking 1 Chesterfield 0 

Andy Taylor swings a free kick in directly at the keeper but he can only parry it and Mirza taps in from close range, 1-0

14th min Woking go 2-0 up at Chelmsford

Totton break down the right and Jackson Jr bundles home from close range, Woking take the top spot.

HT

Big 45 mins needed, we are definitely missing Cashman today

47th min 3-0 Woking now, uh oh

57th min  Chelmsford pull one back, but is it too late?

Duffus plays a great through ball and Ricky Miller gets on the end, he lobs the keeper but it lands on the roof of the net

FT 1-1
Woking win the league

Play offs here we come.  Torquay condemned to relegation after Oxford Nomads picked up a shock away win.

Chelmsford lose again and fall at first hurdle of the play offs meaning we take on 7th place finishers Hampton.  Need to pick ourselves up now after the disappointment from losing the title on the last day

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

aaargh, so close

Gutted to lose it on the last day, its been super tight all season.  

Hampton gave us a late scare but a strong first half showing was enough for us to secure the win and head to the final, it used to be a day at Wembley but it seems we are playing "at home" aka Bromley.  We take on 3rd place Aldershot in the final. 

It will also be Ricky Miller's last game as he is retiring end of season despite my best attempts at the 34 year old to give me another year, lets hope he can finish in style then

Lets just say the game didn't disappoint the neutrals

So we went 2-0 down but Miller struck back in the first half to give us hope, Hughes levelled around the hour mark an then Miller converted a penalty and we were in front for the first time and they level again.  Extra time beckons when Miller grabs a hatrick scoring in the 93rd minute, they go down to ten men but still in the 97th minute Crittenden equalises, couldn't believe it....  

Feared the worst but we scored all our pens and we have won promotion to the Conference, what a way for Miller to sign off his career with a hatrick, scoring the first in the shoot out on the way for us to seal promotion, will forever go down in Downham Town folklore

Promotion has brought about this about which I am delighted by

End of season awards see the Downham Boyz heavily featured

41 goals for Miller, what a hero

Back home!  Although from what I can see the Conference minimum capacity is 4,000 so I imagine it'll only be a brief stay at the Downham Stadium which has caused us no end of problems.

Decent increase in sponsorship slow progress being made there, but progress none the less.

The standard youth recruitment/junior coaching improvement shot

Low expectations so no pressure this season thankfully

Our youth team now play in actual league

The current squad after some players were released at the end of their contracts, some of the bit part players like Dinsmore and Hughes are on non-contract agreements, Miller-Neave is on a month to month deal, he's not good enough but with no replacement yet and 35 year old Andy Taylor being released he will stay for now.  The big news is Ricky Miller retired from professional football but we are semi professional, he wont sign a new deal as "he's retired" but he hasn't left so he will remain month to month. huge news since he has scored 92 goals in 114 games in all competitons.  If we get another big season he could move from a club icon to a club legend alongside Mirza Sedjic, Ben Hunt and myself.

Loughborough were relegated on goal difference so sadly I wont be facing the other side who flew through the ranks, they signed Adam Lallana right at the end and despite picking up 11/18 points they couldn't overturn the damage already done.  Billericay won promotion to League 1 and Dulwich made it four successive promotions as they won League 2 easily.  Charlton are probably the biggest side in the Conference now 

This will probably be the last post for a bit as i'm off on holiday for a few weeks but it shall return

• 3 weeks later...

Huge comeback against the Dons in a massive cup shock, our reward for the 2nd round is a home tie to Dulwich whilst not sounding too exciting nor challenging is still gonna be hard they've had 4 promotions in 5 years and now sit in League One

Nearly threw it away but we hung on to get into the 3rd round and a potential money spinning big tie. Now lets see who we get

Not what I was hoping for but its a home tie so have a good shot at making the 4th round

On 08/10/2018 at 21:41, Nobby_McDonald said:

Definitely a non league team in Round 4.

Lets just hope it will be us

With January here, here's a mid season update on Conference life

After a rough start we managed to pull together some decent form and get into the top half, still we are only 10 points off the bottom 4 so it is still quite tight.  Losing 8-4 was pretty gutting but a big 9-0 win against Sutton United.  Now got to try and push on and try and break the play offs.

On 11/10/2018 at 21:12, Nobby_McDonald said:

Quite a mix of teams in the National League.

yeah interesting bunch in there, proving to be quite a tough league

A late goal for Woking had me worried but we held on in this 7 goal thriller to progress to the elusive 4th round

Finally that dream tie, away from home as well so a decent windfall for us, for some reason overlooked for television...

A dream start going 1-0 up but sadly they proved to be too much for us and at the end of the game we were dead on our feet, massively proud of the boys for holding their own for so long.  Netted over half a million in gate receipts which will keep us in the black for another season!

On 18/10/2018 at 22:00, Nobby_McDonald said:

Nice bunch of cash come your way.

Much needed as well since we lose money every month

We might be out of the FA Cup but we are still going strong in the FA Trophy and book a date at Wembley, Loughborough stun conference leaders Tranmere led by their new signing Jack Marriott who has bagged 11 in 14 since being released by Reading last summer

Now for a general catch up since January

Had a bit of a bad spell in the league where we went 6 defeats on the spin and it killed any realistic hopes of promotion and as we approach last 5 games we sit 9 points from the play offs but only 6 from the bottom 4.  Can't see either happening but been happy with the cup runs.

Golden Generation? Lets hope so. No one has yet to breakthrough from our youth set up to become a regular but hopefully that could be about to change

Solid end to the season with a big win against Boston to boost morale. Port Vale went up via the play offs and we ended up just 2 points outside the play off spots not bad for our first season in the Conference

No idea where these 18,000 are coming from, they must be bringing the whole campus down from Loughborough to Wembley

Over 19,000 fans saw us lift the trophy at Wembley as we demolished Loughborough, they will get their shot at revenge next year though after they stormed their way to the Conference North title, their 2nd in 3 years

We made £100k with that FA Trophy win which has enabled me to twist the boards arm to get our recruitment up our junior coaching is currently rated as exceptional so wasn't possible to get an upgrade this time

Now we are skint again, we couldn't sell out 3,000 but its required by the league so we didn't really have a choice

11 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Congrats on the FA trophy

Cheers it'd been a few years since we lifted a trophy so was a welcome return

Couple of big departures one was a sad day for the club and the other was a financial decision

Dele had been the rock in our midfield the last two years and was our most valuable player by a mile and he wanted to leave so he heads to the dizzy heights of the Championship

Mirza a club legend and the last of the originals from level 10, he was very prolific in the early days but has been a bit part player as of late and sadly he wanted to move on and I couldn't talk him round so since he has been such a great servant I waived a fee and let him go to relegated Boston, all the best Mirza

Seddon out left back left to Billericay for 20k as well so the squad was looking very thin so I promoted 4 of the players from the "golden generation" and the one player from the U'23's who I didn't release.

Just as I let Mirza leave for free, disaster strikes

1 hour ago, ToMexico!! said:

Well done on the cup win and solid season in the league. 

Strong sale for non-league level still, are you going to reinvest the money? Could easily find some good players plus a new striker that you need now

I'm having trouble attracting top players to join our side permanently so I have been dipping into the loan market bringing in 3 players including a striker

As for the money I got the board to finally agree to improve some facilities

Archived