Inverting Transfers?

So, as we all know, transfers are done in a different way these days: Player negotiations first; clubs second.

It's a two-part thing. The rise of so-called "player power" has led to guys taking more agency over their careers and navigating themselves to whatever spot they want, whenever they want. And clubs wont waste their team negotiating a fee, only to be rebuffed by a player during negotiations.

So: should SI invert its current transfer model to better align with the real world? Have you negotiate deals with players, get them signed-and-sealed (clubs often sign legal agreements with players that they cant back out of verbal agreements -- in place of a legal employment document -- before they wrap up fees with clubs, particularly in Spain) before you enter talks over the transfer fee with the club.

(Side Note: I'd love to see more devious agent practices incorporated into the game. "I'll get you this client if you take this extra client", backing out if agreed deals etc. Or just laughably absurd agent fees for them to convince their client to join your club. It would be a refreshing and frustrating dynamic that would better mimic the real world)

I might be wrong but I think under current FIFA regs it's illegal to approach a player without permission from the club he's registered to.  We all know it happens of course but I've seen this discussed here before and the response was that SI wouldn't implement anything that wasn't by the book.  So illegal issues such as tapping up, max fixing etc that are known to be happening/have happened IRL wouldn't be covered.

It's an interesting concept.  I suppose to make it legit you would first have to enquire with the club using the current tool. Then it could be like two separate simultaneous negotiations could spawn based on the successful result of that enquiry.  That way you could know straight off the bat whether the transfer is likely to fall down on either front.  Rather than having a one then the other scenario which always leaves you exposed to wasting your time.

Would love some more dynamic negotiation.
Have some feed back, why the player might join other team. Is it the wage, city, league, team members, family etc. Not only suggest offers for hundred times, until it is done. And then he choose someone else for no good reason.

1 hour ago, borivoje213 said:

I might be wrong but I think under current FIFA regs it's illegal to approach a player without permission from the club he's registered to.  We all know it happens of course but I've seen this discussed here before and the response was that SI wouldn't implement anything that wasn't by the book.  So illegal issues such as tapping up, max fixing etc that are known to be happening/have happened IRL wouldn't be covered.

It's an interesting concept.  I suppose to make it legit you would first have to enquire with the club using the current tool. Then it could be like two separate simultaneous negotiations could spawn based on the successful result of that enquiry.  That way you could know straight off the bat whether the transfer is likely to fall down on either front.  Rather than having a one then the other scenario which always leaves you exposed to wasting your time.

I guess you could get permission from the club to talk to the player, agree personal terms etc. and then you go back to the club to arrange a fee.

8 hours ago, saihtam said:

Would love some more dynamic negotiation.
Have some feed back, why the player might join other team. Is it the wage, city, league, team members, family etc. Not only suggest offers for hundred times, until it is done. And then he choose someone else for no good reason.

The game will generally give you the reason why a player picked a team on the confirmation news item, there will be a line on the new item that will say something like wants to play for the manager, take the money, prefers the area, european comp etc...

And when making the offer the game should give hints as to who the front runner is on the transfer tab, offer screen, promises screen etc...

hace 10 horas, borivoje213 dijo:

That way you could know straight off the bat whether the transfer is likely to fall down on either front.  Rather than having a one then the other scenario which always leaves you exposed to wasting your time

well...scouting reports always tell you that the player wants/don't want to go to your team, but as a fact, at least a half of FM players gives 0 attention to that...including me...so we DO get to "negotiate with him" but not about number, is more of a casual "do you wanna go to XXXXXX FC? and he answers yes or no

the core problem is, we like to pester the players :) 

Whilst 'Player Power' has been talked about in the press so much I can see why there is often misconception behind who talks to who first. Regulations won;t allow a club to talk to another clubs player without permission from the 'Owner' club that holds his player registration. In the 'Old Days', pre-Bosman which was a slightly different scenario, the club could register the player, and not have to unregister even if the employment contract had expired - thereby preventing him from playing for anyone else. The old transfer fees  in fact, included an 'admin fee' charged by the selling club to de-register a player, effectively you were buying the registration rather than buying out a contract.

Nowadays though, in the world of agents, we have situations where one agent can be representing a player at Club A, also working for Club B who show an interest in that player - how do we stop the agent from talking to himself?

I can't remember which publication it was, and it was a few years ago now, but someone had looked into the manager/agent/player connections - and it was surprising how many players were playing for managers with the same agent. Many transfers under negotiation where the manager had the same agent as the player involved etc.

Look at Wolves at the moment and their relationship with one agent in particular.

Haven't done an FM save where I used this as a strategy, but I wonder about building relationships with in-game agents helps when negotiating transfers - call me old fashioned, but I tend to go for players that will improve my team first, who their agent is is largely irrelevant to me.

@Snorks on a long-term Lyon save I got favourable relations with a couple of agents, and just got the ones who already hated me sacked - started getting that a striker off a 40 goal season would only be asking £250k agent fee. I didn't really sign anyone so I didn't necessarily notice a difference there, but just in renegotiating they were very helpful, one in particular actually didn't make a dime off me for about 5 years.

Archived