CenterBacks: two CDs vs. CD + BPD?

I play a 4-4-2 'counter/very fluid' as my go-to formation. Resorting to other mentalities only as plan B.

In theory I like a CD with short-safer passing + BPD with riskier longer passes to spearhead counter-attacks.

But when I browse through back-line formations in tactics posted up in the forum 2 or 3 xCDs are by far the most popular.

Why are 2xCDs' dominant over BPD+CD in FM(17) as preferred choice?  What is the logic of leaving the BPD on the bench?  Should I conform or stick with Plan A?

Unless you play with elite teams finding good BPDs is really difficult. I personally will only trust one with passing and vision of 14 or higher. I'm lucky to have Michael Kean in my Everton save and when I played as Milan there was Bonnuci. But most defenders can't be trusted with a long pass or they will just be giving ball away

Well that answers that.  EPL is just a dream.  i'm in SkyBet L1.  So  that moves us onto Plan B.  Two CDs.  I've noticed that apart from CD-def., plenty of people have their CDs set to CD-stop.

So I'm in the Skybet L1 and next season hopefully the Championship what do I set my central defenders to?  CD-defend or CD stopper?

And the CDs are just average.  nothing special.

35 minutes ago, Mactier said:

Well that answers that.  EPL is just a dream.  i'm in SkyBet L1.  So  that moves us onto Plan B.  Two CDs.  I've noticed that apart from CD-def., plenty of people have their CDs set to CD-stop.

So I'm in the Skybet L1 and next season hopefully the Championship what do I set my central defenders to?  CD-defend or CD stopper?

And the CDs are just average.  nothing special.

Stopper and cover combo always worked well for me. The Stopper should be your tall beast with good jumping, tackling and anticipation. While the speedier well rounded defender should be on cover

BPD are difficult to find at lower levels, that's why you don't see many users using them.

Regarding stopper/cover combinations, I personally prefer a flat defensive line, but if you have a very aggressive CB and another pacy CB then you can try using it. It surely works under the right conditions.

It seems that for me the more riskier passes of the BPD just gives him an excuse to punt the ball long - not any fancy through balls or switches of play, but a floated ball into a crowded area that the opposition center backs will always deal with. They don't actively look to bring the ball out of defence (even with run with ball more often) and look to find strikers or advanced midfielders in the gaps between the opposition defence and midfield like they would in real life.

53 minutes ago, juusal said:

It seems that for me the more riskier passes of the BPD just gives him an excuse to punt the ball long - not any fancy through balls or switches of play, but a floated ball into a crowded area that the opposition center backs will always deal with. They don't actively look to bring the ball out of defence (even with run with ball more often) and look to find strikers or advanced midfielders in the gaps between the opposition defence and midfield like they would in real life.

Does the new "bring ball out of defence" PPM make a difference from your experience? 

2 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Does the new "bring ball out of defence" PPM make a difference from your experience? 

I haven't managed to train it to a single center back yet. It is just ridiculous how little we can do with center backs in possession - we can't get them to step forward with or without the ball, get them to make proper movements to make themselves available for recycling (e.g. in this three at the back system, sometimes my wingback has the ball and I would like the outer CB to get closer to offer a passing option), we can't get them to look for passes to the feet of forwards etc, and when in possession the defensive line pushes way too high for my liking, reducing the space for your own team, and there is no way to control for these factors.

The thing is, apparently you need a center back who is really good with the ball before that PPM actually gets trained to them. I haven't had any Mats Hummels -type of players in my team, but still a few decent passers who could pull it off. And there is a difference actively looking to put yourself in tight spots and step aggressively forward with the ball as a center back, and just coming forward with the ball when there is a lot of space to do so. Now you can't instruct your players to do either.

IMO, the BPD-CD combination provides the best blend of all defensive roles, particularly if you set the Central Defender to a Cover duty, just in case the Ball Playing Defender cedes possession carelessly.

Most successful teams in the past have employed this kind of tactic with one player given license to play more expansively, while the other will be more inclined to play it simply and focus more heavily on defensive duties.

It also lends itself to virtually any mentality you wish to employ from counter to attacking and is probably the most complete combination you can get in a two-man defence.

Archived