[FM18] The Tale of the Emperor, the Potato Beetle and German Quicksand

Timetxu

Once upon a time, in the West. Of Germany. There was a beautiful city from where once the Great Charlemagne ruled his empire. In this city, the people were happy. They were happy, because they could play sports as much as they liked. The people in the West were so good at sports, that people came to watch them play in their little valley called Tivoli. Heck, they even paid to go and see them. So many people flocked the gates to see them, that sometimes it was quite hard to see them play from the overcrowded stands. That's why they started wearing yellow and black shirts. This led to people calling them "Kartoffelkäfer", or potato beetles. That, or an unhealthy relationship with a lot of German beer.

For over 117 years, people would come to the Emperor's city to see the potato bugs play. Unfortunately, except for a period in which ABBA was considered decent music, the potato bugs were actually very bad at playing football anywhere outside of their beloved fortress. For decades, hardly any competitive football was played. Only the 2nd choice of teams would travel there for almost 50 years. Until the year 2004, when the potato bugs reached the final of the national cup and qualified for the magic land that is called the UEFA Cup. This was extraordinary, as they still played at the 2nd level. Luckily, the people of the West would finally cheer again on the date of 16 April 2006, when they promoted to the nation's best league.

Dark clouds gathered quickly though, as the rise would only last for one year. It relegated a year later. Five years later, another relegation. One year later, yet another relegation. Financial turmoil, a new castle which would suit too modern and too expensive for the people to attract. The potato beetles were thrown into the dungeons of German football. A quicksand of which very rarely clubs would return. The Regionalliga....

Nowadays, the proud potato beetle club finds itself still stuck in that quicksand. The more it has struggled, the more the quicksand has tightened its grip around the Westerners. Will they ever see daylight again?

-----

After a disappointing end to my career in Moldova, I'm heading back home. Almost home, though, as I will remain to the East of the border. However, the club I will be managing is more of a home than many other places in the Netherlands, as it's my favourite place and club to be in Germany. You guessed it, we're going to Aachen.

15dd7af42a46b5a601e47dee9041a793.png

INTRODUCTION

fdbb7d9ec02682bd3b52e85dfb15205e.png

efdc647ce4e80cab0a4a3305aa77620a.png

I've visited Alemannia quite some times in real life and I know they are having some serious financial problems, but the squad that was left to me really baffled me.

d91c1d196beea6de5eea8073017a260b.png2fe9d75e876ffc48ab771fd7f91e1866.png

Just 18 players with an average age of 23,2. With no reserve team and all our youth players under the eligibility age of 17, we really need some extra players.

Luckily:

98000c66734730cf63fd0dfd62472c96.png

This is going to be very hard.

cd3b583e6919101ab4c7c491259049a6.png

Some good in the centre of the pitch. That's about it.

So, what's this year going to look like?

6259b66908d59b52db9d495777ff7546.png

- We have a very small squad, will definitely need to upgrade something there
- We don't really have the money to do so, so we'll have to loan and attract some free players
- The wage budget will likely plummet after this season, so we'll probably have to rely on some of our youth players to turn 17 next summer and join the team. Luckily, our youth facilities are the best in the league (if we don't count the B sides)
- Our goal therefore is to simply survive the league this year. Heads up: the last FOUR teams will all go down to the Oberliga. The league winner will have to win a playoff against another Regionalliga champion for promotion to the 3. Liga. Our prediction should just keep us safe.
- The boards expects us to reach the final four of the Mittelrheinpokal, which is the amateur cup for teams from the southern part of the Niederrhein-Westfalen Bundesland. If we'd win it, we'll qualify for next year's DFB Pokal. With teams from the 3. Liga down to the lower leagues, this could be doable.

NEXT UP

A little preseason update on the friendlies and transfers

2d4d570b8590d52707e3c7a453abe819.png

PRESEASON

7601008d4ebb448a1b21e94aada51e3b.png

Not too bad. Tienen plays in the Belgian 3rd tier and was very easily brushed aside. Could have been a bigger scoreline there. Gladbach played with all its big names and still managed to only beat us by 1. Chemie Leipzig promoted from last years Regionalliga Nordost to the 3. Liga, so it's good to see we can reach their standard. Though I see that division as weaker than ours.

941679a91002046530b50b9ce2400662.png

So far we've brought two players in. Blum is an ML who is slightly better than our level. Luca Ziegler is a left back who gives us some more depth. We're still working on a third transfer, but 31 August is still far away. Mohr had too much competition on the AML spot, especially with Blum coming in, so he's going to the Oberliga for a year.

a1e1352030f402810ae025fd36e51a55.png

b579cabd6aad7d0ddb2b94a5526ba271.png

NEXT UP

05f33cab5a698357e20aa6a939b07fe4.png

We'll finish July with the first three very different league matches: Westfalia is one of the worst teams in the league, Viktoria Köln was last year's champion (but didn't get promoted) and Essen is one of our archrivals. Speaking of a must win month...

JULY 2017

Three matches to start of the league resulted in:

c87dea3ee18b00f0ef87b9ff09db49fc.png

Westfalia very clearly is a side that will struggle this season. We were playing highly offensive and were already leading 4-0 after half an hour. We let them come back to 4-2, which was highly undeserved, but with a fifth, the scoreline resembled the dominance better. The potentially toughest match of the season was away at reigning champions Viktoria. We managed to match them in the first half, but they ran away from us in the second. Luckily some good goalkeeping from Depta secured us a point. The last match against Essen was a very good one. I was originally winning 3-2 in the 68th minute when my computer hung itself. Luckily, when I reloaded the game we managed to be winning 1-0 at the same point with more or less the same match going on. The game was relatively even, but we were very good in front of goal with some sexy offense on before that.

This leads to:

f3bf6aa100e461055561a9df6d3d3917.png

I really don't like 2nd teams within the same league structure as their first teams. That top 4 is just bull. Especially Dortmund has some ridiculously good players. Since the Bundesliga hasn't started yet, some really good players can all play for them. Luckily our first 2nd team confrontation will be in September when we face Köln, who are playing Europa League the same week.

NEXT UP

c2d80928c04d368ddb060851af409a4d.png

Three matches against teams more or less regarded of the same standard as us prior to the season. Good chances to get some points here.

AUGUST 2017

Three matches went as follows:

728b3e8a170e5bdb9a638c96e75d4ad4.png

I could go over every single game and tell you how good every match individually was, but our offense has been absolutely relentless. They score virtually any opportunity they get presented. Junior Torunarigha has 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 matches so far. Newcomer Michael Blum has already scored 3 goals in 4 matches as a winger. The goals conceded have been mostly by some sloppy defending errors, so I don't see them as a structural problem yet.

0182cd882f5c85b22aeb3c37d947d912.png

It's all looking pretty good so far. Dortmund finally slipped up, so we're top of the table now.

Also:

73ba226568e463a7ce8551179f5e7b15.png

I keep getting this message. It's a bit weird, because it implies that we've been unbeaten for over three years although it's only a 23 game unbeaten streak. Don't really get it, but it looks flashy.

NEXT UP

099f6773b053328757ee66385462c223.png

Two relatively easy away games and we're facing two 2nd teams at home. Curious to see what they're actually capable of.

In the meantime, we've drawn Wesseling-Urfeld in the Mittelrheinpokal First Round (Round of 32). They're one league below us and currently 8th in the Mittelrhein-Oberliga. We'll be facing them in October.

44 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

Aachen is a very historical team!!They must return in top flights!!Good luck!!!

I agree ;) . When I was raised, many people always went to Aachen because they played 2. Bundesliga. With all the success in the beginning of the 2000's, you can't imagine the level they're at right now. Such a historical club in such a historical city. Same can be said of 1860 München as well.

SEPTEMBER 2017

Four games in the books:

6c6b6de001952ffe00c71f16a085db90.png

Our unbeaten streak snapped at eight. The first two matches against Wuppertal and Köln were the same as the ones prior to this month. Rödinghausen was an absolute FM'ing as we missed chances left, right, under, over, top, bottom, corner, free kick. Just an inexplicable defeat really. Against Gladbach we didn't start of well, but we grew in the match until a point we absolutely dominated them. We finished with almost 20 shots, but only two goals. We actually got lucky because the 2-2 happened after this spectacular goalkeeping:

The table looks like this now:

cb989b07a3dc66a5a537f08599527319.png

Dortmund is running away with it. Don't you just love those 2nd teams? Luckily, we seem to be able to face them a stiff challenge. Unfortunately, the rest of the league doesn't.

NEXT UP

e525a17f72cf4844dd767d10eab7d747.png

A relatively easy month with the Mittelrheinpokal matchup against fifth tier Wesseling-Urfeld.

8 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Excellent! I'll always remember Aachen for when they had my favourite striker Andrezj Juskowiak

The very best of luck and I will be following.

15 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Go Aachen! 

Thanks guys! Are you sure Juskowiak played at Aachen @Deisler26?

No spoilers yet as to how October went, but:

b3cb1b2db336a9cc8801ba2ff384712d.png

First time this happened in FM18. I love you too guys :D

1 hour ago, Timetxu said:

9f041cf5dab984bc035697a06642ab49.png

This guy was voted the new chairman. I love democracy and all, but the previous guy was really pro youth development, so I hope I can win this guy over.

Hate when you lose a chairman who's values are in line with your own.

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Hate when you lose a chairman who's values are in line with your own.

He seems to like me so far. And he doesn't really have a choice other than agreeing me about the youth philosophy, because it's the only thing that we have, really.

5 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

D’OH! I was thinking of Aue :ackter:

Potato, potato? :D

OCTOBER 2017

dfb65ff2c16f5cd5f87a1a9b7ab3e69c.png

We picked up some good wins against Verl and Wiedenbrück. The loss against Erndtebrück, however, showed what I've been foreseeing after the first months of the season: we're missing waaaay too many chances now. We had 4 clear cut chances in which we had our two strikers going through on goal all by themselves, but at every opportunity they refused to lay the ball off and went for their own success. All of the shots were straight at the goalkeeper. In fact, our two strikers have scored 15 goals so far, with the rest of our team 15 as well. It's a good thing to have multiple goalscorers, but they really have to be more horny in front of goal, as St. Louis would call it.

3c02135405f31473076403f4e9acf05a.png

That loss against Erndtebrück happened at the same moment Uerdingen lost and Dortmund drew. We blew a great chance to be back in it.

e5c8d9dd2870c18f2ddc7b507677f663.png

We've advanced to the 2nd round (Round of 16) in the Mittelrheinpokal thanks to a decent win against Wesseling-Urfeld. They actually scored a goal which was cancelled for some inobvious reason at 2-0, so we were a bit lucky, though we could've won it with a bigger margin. The draw for the next round hasn't been made yet, so I'll tell you before the next update.

NEXT UP

ff2d0d17d1a6f714b38c81bd56913f1e.png

A very big month coming up. First against low flying Wegberg-Beeck should be an easy one, then we're playing our nemeses at the top in nr. 1 Dortmund and nr. 2 Uerdingen. Last match against Düsseldorf will decide who will be the preemptive "Herbstmeister" (as the winter break actually comes after the 19th matchday). The month will end with our Round of 16 match in the Mittelrheinpokal.

2ee119d63ec91868f8a9501a3ee15b0f.png

Our Round of 16 matchup at the end of the month will be against Bad Honnef. They're currently 10th (out of 16) in the Landesliga Mittelrhein, the 6th tier. Even a division lower than our previous cup opponent.

14 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

2ee119d63ec91868f8a9501a3ee15b0f.png

Our Round of 16 matchup at the end of the month will be against Bad Honnef. They're currently 10th (out of 16) in the Landesliga Mittelrhein, the 6th tier. Even a division lower than our previous cup opponent.

At least you didn't have to play Good Honnef :brock:

NOVEMBER 2017

A very big month in the league this time around:

7a7b9afa814f96e69312428f1f61842b.png

I'm actually very pleased with this month, even though we didn't manage to snatch first place. The Wegberg-Beeck game was a very easy game. Against Dortmund II I didn't know what to expect, because FM doesn't really know how to process the value of these second teams. It predicted an 11-1 chance to win prior to the game even though it didn't feel there was too much difference in quality. We battled them out with an outstanding Hammel, who turns out to be quite the targetman for us. We came ahead in the 57th minute, but Dortmund scored fifteen minutes before the end. All in all a fair result and tactically we played very well. Same thing against Uerdingen, who is our other rival for the top of the league. They scored right before halftime but we managed to pull one back immediately from kickoff. Some tactical tweaks worked out really well and we won the game not entirely deservedly shots wised, but very much so tactically. The Düsseldorf II game was a tricky one. I didn't really know how to play them and they deserved their point. We didn't really manage to get into the game.

86a98d3c1960d2d55d47415b767843e7.png

Halfway through the season we're in second position, so with a 14th place prediction, everyone's really happy. Dortmund have shown some signs of weakness the last weeks, so I'm hoping for something. We'll play them at home in the penultimate day of the season.

376315691c00990093c65847adbed54a.png

A very, very easy win in which I played a rotated squad sealed a spot in the Mittelrheinpokal Quarter Finals! Result of that draw follows after the next game, so in the next update.

NEXT UP

b8a4588a837cc5f1acb718fa5ef240f7.png

I want to end 2017 with 6 points really. Westfalia are very dire and Viktoria has mysteriously jumped its way up the table and I want to eliminate any contenders for the title who are not Dortmund or us.

22 hours ago, LATB said:

Nice pick, hopefully Uerdingen can follow you up the tables, another club with an interesting history. I have personally visited the stadium in Krefeld! 

Cool! It's probably going to take quite some time with the one playoff spot for the division champion, but I can keep you posted if you like ;)

22 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Is the legend Marcus Wedau still there?

I can only find two regen Marcus Wedaus in the game, so I looked him up. Apparently he's retired ten years ago :(

3 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Cool! It's probably going to take quite some time with the one playoff spot for the division champion, but I can keep you posted if you like ;)

I can only find two regen Marcus Wedaus in the game, so I looked him up. Apparently he's retired ten years ago :(

He was DoF of Uerdingen at one time

4c0bc37157dd047939b6539ba6ce5d15.png

Not very happy with this. Viktoria Köln is on a pretty decent form recently and they were only one of three semi-professional teams in the draw left (with four other amateur teams). At least we're at home.

DECEMBER 2017

Two games to close the year off:

01d5f8cce0c9c070e0c1cc0c757d9dd9.png

Well, what just exactly happened against Westfalia?? I guess it was just one of those games in which you just don't know what to do. We were actually 0-3 down after 17 minutes and didn't have our first shot of the game until the 54th minute!! Second half was mildly better though, but let me sum up this match with these screenshots:

First half:

f2e28e86ef46a6b957f9218c7551cb6f.png

After 90 minutes:

ba588fff6f7b36157a5c973689dc1180.png

29969861e8794e3480054be92bc783c1.png

These were the stats after the first half. Only our goalkeeper had a passable rating. The highlight reel was the moment I really started fearing for a glitch in my savegame, because it was failed pass after weird mistake and missed clearcut chance after a goalkeeper-standing-there-with-ball-on-his-foot-oh-woops-there-comes-the-opponent. I genuinely don't know what happened there.

Oh and we played Viktoria Köln. Very good game, same starting XI. Free-flowing attacking football, no mistakes. Great goals.

f0893cd9e0d4cf02ddad1222c4ea7894.png

I sincerely hope that game doesn't come to haunt us.

NEXT UP

fa41b1fee4180247e0a660333879a4e4.png

Two friendlies of which a cool challenge against FC Zürich. We'll start 2018 officially with a home game against our traditional rivals.

Archived