FM18: Heart Of Midlothian Football Club, the most romantic name in sport

Eckauskas

Heart of Midlothian Football Club, commonly known as Hearts, is a Scottish professional football club based in Gorgie in the west of Edinburgh. Hearts are the oldest football club in the Scottish capital, having been formed in 1874 by a group of friends from the Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly Club (Dancing). The modern club crest is based on the Heart of Midlothian mosaic on the city's Royal Mileand the team's colours are predominantly maroon and white.

Hearts play at Tynecastle Stadium, where home matches have been played since 1886. After renovating the ground into an all-seater stadium following the findings of the Taylor Report in 1990, the all-seated stadium originally had a capacity of 18,008, but over the years this has been reduced to roughly 17,000 to comply with UEFA regulations. Their current training facilities are at the nearby Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh.

Hearts have won the Scottish league championship four times, most recently in 1959–60, when they also retained the Scottish League Cupto complete a League and League Cup double – the only club outside of the Old Firm to achieve such a feat. The club's most successful period was under Tommy Walker from the mid 1950s to mid 1960s. They won seven trophies in this period and were runners up for five others. Jimmy Wardhaugh, Willie Bauld and Alfie Conn, Sr. known affectionately as the Terrible Trio were famed forwards at the start of this period with wing half lynch pins Dave Mackay and John Cumming. Wardhaugh was part of another notable Hearts attacking trinity in the 1957–58 league winning side. Along with Jimmy Murray and Alex Young. they set the record for the number of goals scored in that league winning campaign (132). In doing so they became the only side to finish a season with a goal difference exceeding 100 (+103).

Hearts have won the Scottish Cup eight times, most recently in 2012 after a 5–1 win over city-rivals Hibernian. Hearts' four Scottish League Cup triumphs were all under Walker, most recently a 1–0 1962 Scottish League Cup Final victory against Kilmarnock. The most recent Scottish League Cup Final appearance was in 2013 when they lost to St Mirren 3–2.

In 1958, Heart of Midlothian became the third Scottish and fifth British team to compete in European competition at the time. The club reached the quarter-finals of the 1988–89 UEFA Cup, losing out to Bayern Munich 2–1 on aggregate.

I hope you like a challenge...

Squad.

Goalkeepers.

Jon McLaughlin - A solid enough goalkeeper. New to the team in the summer so you won't really be able to shift him anyway. 3 stars.

Jack Hamilton - Not much to choose from between the two, Jack has more potential. 3 stars at the start, can potentially move up to 4.

Paul Gallacher - Goalkeeping coach, still registered as a player for some reason. 1 and a half stars.

Viktor Noring - Not a terrible back up, but cost us a silly goal against Rangers once so I don't like him. 2 and a half stars.

Right Backs.

Michael Smith - This is your first choice right back. Solid performer, good all round stats. 3 stars.

Jamie Brandon - Has featured a few times for the first team already. He's got a lot of potential and has decent stats at the start of the game. You could possibly loan him out but I use him in games against the 'weaker' sides. 2 stars but has potential to reach 4.

Connor Randall - On loan from Liverpool, useful in a few different positions. Across the back 4 and in the midfield as well. Difficult to keep long term, so I tend to use him sparingly. 3 and a half stars.

Left Backs.

Ashley Smith-Brown - No idea is he's actually good irl, he's always injured. On loan from Manchester City, decent enough back up but I wouldn't have him first choice. 2 and a half stars.

Rafal Grzelak - Possibly one of the most unpopular Hearts players of all time. Seems the researcher agrees with that standpoint. Bin at first attempt. 3 stars (yeah, right).

Centre Halves.

Aaron Hughes - Former Newcastle, Fulham, some team in India and all time British cap record holder. 37 years old and a valuable member of this squad. If you want to play 3 at the back he's capable, or a very good backup to the first choice centre halves. 3 stars.

John Souttar - Can be as impressive a 21 year old as you'll see at centre half. Can have nightmare moments as well, but over all he should be a first choice pick for you every time. 3 and a half stars, possibly a 5 star player at this level.

Christophe Berra - Club captain. Solid performer and creates a solid partnership with Souttar. 4 stars.

Kristian Nowak - Decent, but nothing special. Scored a goal against Rangers once, so I like him. 2 and half stars.

Central Midfield.

Malaury Martin - 3 star midfielder but never gets into my team. Stats aren't bad, but misses out due to others being that bit better.

Prince Buaben - Bin him. Trust me, bin him now. 3 and a half stars, probably awarded to himself by himself.

Don Cowie - My favourite for the next James Bond. Great runner and, for being 35, good to have as a backup. 3 and half stars.

Arnoud Djoum - Frustratingly good. An AFCON winner, but rather inconsistent. Hearts are a worse side without him, despite him not doing very much. 3 and a half stars.

Ross Callachan - New signing, Hearts fan as a boy. Good back up, but won't progress beyond 3 stars.

Harry Cochrane - A boy who can do very, very well. 2 stars, but potential to hit 5.

Wide Men.

Manuel Milinkovic - On loan from Genoa, can become very influential if you decide to play wingers. 3 stars, possibly up to 4 at some point.

Jamie Walker - Hearts fan as a boy, starts off the game transfer listed. Get him off that immediately and get him signed up long term. 4 stars.

Euan Henderson - Another exciting prospect, worth having on the bench to give him experience. 2 stars, up to 4 and a half.

Forwards.

Kyle Lafferty - A great target man if you want to play with one. Great for crosses into the box. 4 stars.

Esmael Goncalves - Marmite. I love him, he scores an absolute bucket load if you play him through the middle. Can also play out wide. 3 and a half stars.

Cole Stockton - Haven't seen enough of him to say, but he does score goals as a back up target man. 2 stars, up to 3.

Notable Youngsters.

Chris Hamilton - 15 years old, RB, potential 4 and a half stars.

Bartlomiej Gadja - 17 years old, CB, potential 4 stars.

Anthony McDonald - 16years old, AML, potential 4 stars.

Aaron Reid - 17 years old, LB, potential 4 stars.

Calumn Morrison - 17 years old, AMR, potential 4 stars - On loan at Stirling Albion.

Daniel Baur - 17, CB, potential 4 stars.

Rory Currie - 19, ST, potential 4 stars.

Transfer Advice.

OUT

You can get £300k for Buaben at the start of the game, get him shifted to boost your coffers (set at £275k) and free up some wages too. Malaury Martin can fetch up to £100k, Noring £80k and Nowak anything up to £45k. Some fringe prospects can go out on loan too. Reid, Beith, Moore can all go for 1st team experience. A lot of this team are new in the door and won't fancy a move away just yet but there's scope to remove some of the deadwood. There's something to be said to put all your transfer budget into the wages, as there are some cracking players kicking about for a free.

IN

Two players you can spend some of your budget on are Josh Windass from Rangers (anywhere between £80k and £95k). A good attacking midfielder, chips in with some goals from the right hand side and is a very good choice for a position that Hearts do lack in. Surprised how low his value is, to be honest. Another one is Lewis Morgan from St Mirren. Now he's out if contract at the end of season one, but has a compensation fee of around £575k. If you ask the board to clinch the signing for you, he moves for around £400k. Another wide man, has loads of potential and can pretty much walk into your first team from the off. If you have a decent wedge left in your wage budget, Javi Matilla (CM), Fabinho (CM), Yarouba Cissako (RB) and Guiseppe Rossi (ST) are all floating around on a free and can improve your squad. Now, let's talk left back. We had a truly wonderful left back in 2006, Takis Fyssas. A Euro 2004 winner with Greece, he should have been nowhere near our team, that's how good he was. But it seems the deal was that we weren't allowed to have any good left backs again after that, as we've had one recognisable one in that time. Leonel Bontempo is about on a free and should be signed immediately. Asks for small wages and is a very good performer. Ali Crawford (AMC) from Hamilton, Craig Sibbald (MC) from Falkirk, Louis Moult (ST) from Motherwell are all out of contract at the end of season one, so you might try and tie them up in January too.

Over to you now, hopefully you can do a better job than our current managerial setup are doing...

8EAD61EA-F9A6-4C64-9766-2A9124C307C1.jpeg.7c812c2eedfa8032aa30f036ff7b1d6d.jpeg

Just me managing Hearts then? :laugh:

Finished 2nd in my first season, Celtic absolutely ran away with it in the end. Signed Lewis Morgan, Leonel Bontempo, Yarouba Cissako, Fabinho and Tony Gallagher in season 1. Isma scored a hatful and finished top scorer, despite missing about 2 and a half months with a hamstring injury. Lost the Scottish Cup final to Celtic 3-1, despite being 1-0 up with 10 to go.

I was quite short of natural ability on the right hand side of midfield so now I've addressed that by signing Michael O'Halloran from Rangers, Louis Moult from Motherwell and Adam Frizzell from Kilmarnock. Here's to a tilt at some silverware in season 2!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/12/2017 at 05:51, Cal585 said:

Always been interested in trying a Hearts save. What style of play do they lend to?

Tough to beat, defensively sound but not the most threatening in an attacking sense.

Leonel Bontempo

Great player, had him for 3 seasons in my team as Wing Back. He made 21 assits and 5 goals in 57 matches. Sold for 3.2M, though didn't even need it so much, just found better and younger player on his position.

So i recommend setting him on at least support role, best attack since he has really good crossing and dribbling as well pace and acceleration.

• 6 months later...
On 14/07/2018 at 16:01, jeesh said:

Hows the Hibs save? 

Left Hibs to join Wolfsburg after dominating the SPL for a fair few seasons - things didn't turn out too well in Germany and I was sacked 6 months in. 

Now ended up back in Scotland, trying to recapture my dominance and overturn Hibs at the number 1 Scottish side, this time I've decided to join Aberdeen and build them up - enjoying it :thup: 

Archived