FMM18 Tactics feedback

• SI Staff

So, we've revamped tactics. There's a lot more you can do, and a lot more the AI can do as well.

Let us know what works for you, what doesn't. What's too effective and what we can improve. Is the game too easy or too hard? We've got lots of tweaking ahead I'm sure and want as much info as we can get...

It's amazing to see that the AI managers play different tactics (Conte's tactic is annoying though). The only thing is when I play an AP behind any striker he tends to take 90% of the shots and the striker ends up playing badly, however I don't know if it's because of how the tactic is set up or lack of options

I've noticed that many (maybe even most?) goals are screaming long shots. I don't have any hard evidence, but maybe you could look into it and try tuning it somewhat? 

Let me know if you need pkms, but then again 5-6-7 matches from myself won't necessarily give a correct view of the bigger picture.. 

Anyone else seeing many long shot goals? 

• SI Staff
15 hours ago, Footix said:

I've noticed that many (maybe even most?) goals are screaming long shots. I don't have any hard evidence, but maybe you could look into it and try tuning it somewhat? 

Let me know if you need pkms, but then again 5-6-7 matches from myself won't necessarily give a correct view of the bigger picture.. 

Anyone else seeing many long shot goals? 

We've actually seen fewer long shots than last year internally, but the tactical options you play may affect this (for instance if you leave the DM area very open and don't press heavily but have solid CBs there may be a tendency for the AI to shoot more from range)

• SI Staff
On 10/11/2017 at 20:28, DarJ said:

It's amazing to see that the AI managers play different tactics (Conte's tactic is annoying though). The only thing is when I play an AP behind any striker he tends to take 90% of the shots and the striker ends up playing badly, however I don't know if it's because of how the tactic is set up or lack of options

What role is your striker, out of interest?

I've tried the AF, P and CF

I've also found out that when I play an IF for example on the left the striker moves also to the left same thing when I play a B2B behind an someone in the AMC position. And if I play 2 IF the striker is nowhere to be found in the middle of the final third

I don't know if the game was designed like that but surely the strikers starting position should be in the middle then he can move to the left to create space 4 the IF.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, 

This is my first time playing the mobile version, but I'm sort of a veteran with the PC one (though I came back after a few years out). And I'm still trying to learn the ropes here. 

But the thing is, tactics seem so random in the mobile version, I'm playing in League One with Bury and I've tried everything but the outcome is always the same. I concede goals the first play as soon as the game starts, and another one in the first 5 minutes, so most of the time I'm trailing the whole match. Offensive and defensive set up doesn't seem to have any effect on ball possession and opportunities created, it just seems random to me. 

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but If I play against a team thats supposed to be better I try to play counter attack with no effect and if I'm playing against a lower team I play an offensive set up and most of the time I get smashed. 

I don't know if it's me or the match engine that's really wrong, but it's kinda ridiculous that in most games a goal is scored in the first minute or even so that 3 goals are scored in the first 10 minutes. Moreso, my games tend to end with 5 or more goals every single time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I too would like to voice my agreement that the game is too easy. Can an update resolve this?

With regards to tactics; my initial impressions are that the AI is not dynamic enough in using the enhanced tactical options. Most of the teams I’ve come across are set up in the 4-2-3-1 formation or a 5-3-2 (wing back) formation with a balanced, narrow shape and slow passing. This means that my tactical set-up is often the same for every game - so I don’t feel I’m able to utilise the breadth of tactical options on offer. I also feel the AI is too slow in altering its tactics as the game develops. For example, if the AI is losing 2-0, you won’t see the AI change tactics until late on in the game when there’s little time for the AI to get anything from the match. I don’t know if my expectations are too high here but I would like to see a smarter AI. I will try and post some clear examples of my experiences.

I’m not very confident that the ‘Overload’ option is as attacking as it should be. On the rare occasion where I am behind with time running out, I switch to Overload and assign more attacking roles to my players but the enhanced match engine doesn’t seem to show my players surging forward to get that goal. I'm basing this opinion on the assumption that Overload is an extremely risky attacking option where defence is neglected in order to score.

I personally don't find it too easy. I like the update.  One thing missing though, (perhaps this should be in the 'wish list' bit), but surely it must be possible in current database to be able to assign a marker to an opposition danger man.  I keep being told about danger men that inevitably kill me, but I can't do anything about it!  Being able to assign a man-marker (at least) should be an option in mobile by now.  This should (?) be simple I would have thought, to blunt both this danger player's stats and the those of the assigned marker, and also the effectiveness of this task be subject to certain performance traits such as movement and concentration?  Just so frustrating not being able to manage my team to isolate or deal with dangerous players, as this is fundamental to the game in the real world.  Otherwise the game is great and so very nearly 'there' as the perfect mobile experience, just please give me something I can do that takes into account the specific opposition players.  Cheers!

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, Footix said:

I've noticed opposition teams playing "Overload" for 90 minutes. This doesn't make much sense, does it? The term "Overload" suggests it's an all out attack-approach, best used when you are desperate to score? 

We would like to iron this out if you have good examples. The next update makes overloading a little less effective.

I had an example yesterday. I was playing Club América in the quarter final of the NACL. I'd beaten them 3-2 in the 1st leg (at home) and in the 2nd leg, they kicked off playing the Overload tactic. To be fair, it worked. They went 2-0 up and then switched to contain for the rest of the match which saw me batter them in the 2nd half but could only pull one goal back and thus went out on away goals.

I am still seeing clubs in the MLS struggle with the Overload tactic. They usually use it right at the beginning of a match and hardly ever at the end when trailing by a goal or two.

7 hours ago, Alari Naylor said:

We would like to iron this out if you have good examples. The next update makes overloading a little less effective.

I had an example yesterday. I was playing Club América in the quarter final of the NACL. I'd beaten them 3-2 in the 1st leg (at home) and in the 2nd leg, they kicked off playing the Overload tactic. To be fair, it worked. They went 2-0 up and then switched to contain for the rest of the match which saw me batter them in the 2nd half but could only pull one goal back and thus went out on away goals.

I am still seeing clubs in the MLS struggle with the Overload tactic. They usually use it right at the beginning of a match and hardly ever at the end when trailing by a goal or two.

10 hours ago, Alari Naylor said:

I'm Cambridge in Championship, and usually the underdog in every match. I can only assume this is the reason why opponents sometimes go gung-ho at me for 90 mins. I don't have any PKM's now, but I'll try to get some. When is your code freeze for next update?

Has the latest update set out to address the AI over-using (or misusing) the 'Overload' tactic?

I've downloaded the latest update and I've noticed the AI keeps switching to Overload when it's completely unnecessary.

This example shows New England trailing by a goal on the 43rd minute. They switched to Overload soon after I scored on the 30th minute. They remained on Overload for the rest of the match.

I have another example where Colorado switched to Overload whilst the score was at 2-2. I noticed this on around the 70th minute.

Screenshot_20171222-212851.png

Screenshot_20171222-212847.png

6 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

Has the latest update set out to address the AI over-using (or misusing) the 'Overload' tactic?

I've downloaded the latest update and I've noticed the AI keeps switching to Overload when it's completely unnecessary.

This example shows New England trailing by a goal on the 43rd minute. They switched to Overload soon after I scored on the 30th minute. They remained on Overload for the rest of the match.

I have another example where Colorado switched to Overload whilst the score was at 2-2. I noticed this on around the 70th minute.

Screenshot_20171222-212851.png

Screenshot_20171222-212847.png

It makes sense

They are trying to get the goal back. What's the problem with that?

5 hours ago, DarJ said:

It makes sense

They are trying to get the goal back. What's the problem with that?

You don't use Overload in the 43rd minute.

Overload is a tactic you use when you're desperate for a goal and so you throw everyone into attack. It is such a high risk attacking strategy that is leaves your team with little to no defensive cover. You use it when you're a goal behind and the match is coming to an end or when you're more than one goal down and the opposition are just sitting back defending their 2 or 3 goal cushion.

You don't use it in the 43rd minute. Ordinarily you would just switch to attack if you really wanted to chase that goal. It is still very early on in the game and because Overload is such a high risk strategy, it exposes you to conceding many more goals. 

A lot of teams would continue to play their standard tactic when facing a goal down as there is still plenty of time left in the match to change the outcome.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

7 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

You don't use Overload in the 43rd minute.

Overload is a tactic you use when you're desperate for a goal and so you throw everyone into attack. It is such a high risk attacking strategy that is leaves your team with little to no defensive cover. You use it when you're a goal behind and the match is coming to an end or when you're more than one goal down and the opposition are just sitting back defending their 2 or 3 goal cushion.

You don't use it in the 43rd minute. Ordinarily you would just switch to attack if you really wanted to chase that goal. It is still very early on in the game and because Overload is such a high risk strategy, it exposes you to conceding many more goals. 

A lot of teams would continue to play their standard tactic when facing a goal down as there is still plenty of time left in the match to change the outcome.

I go overload

Edited by DarJ