Defensive Football

Evening all just messing about with tactics before fm 2018 comes out and one team instruction I have never used is defensive as I have always used control or standard with a fluid shape.

Have I missed something as to me defensive football throws up visions of the old Wimbledon or any type of hoof ball but I have been amazed how well your team can play defensive football.

At the moment Im playing Swansea so we don't have a lot of major players  but we are heading for Europe and a top 6 finish in the prem by playing defensive 5-3-2 just went to Liverpool and won 3-1 with 22 shots.

Not sure if its one of those flukey seasons but some of the passing and movement has been amazing to watch and just wondered if I haved missed a trick as I thought the only way you could get fast exciting football would be on a control ment and just wondered if any one else has had luck play on defensive ment

I wrote quite a lengthy piece about it. Defensive football can be many different things just like attacking football can. Defensive football isn't a style on its own, its a concept. However you can create many different types of defensive football.

Enjoy being enlightened :)

I actually had one of my by seasons of all the FM series playing defensive. Albeit with an aggressive formation (4231). All defensive did for me was reduce the risk the players took in the transition from defense to attack. Setting a higher tempo with defensive mentality was sort of a light bulb moment for me. I found that I was still attacking at pace but with a lot less misplaced risky passes up to an isolated forward. 

I find that a common misconception with people playing FM is that defensive means that your team doesn't want to score and that your sole purpose is to not concede. 

I highly recommend watching the video @Rashidi did about creating a 4231. 

Archived