The reinstated '1,000+ Club Appearance Longevity' thread

Looks to me like they're all on fairly ridiculous wages - but I guess you are 20 odd years in the future.

...and I am absolutely routing for Dubois to make it!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, total appearances is across all competitive competitions for the club.

And yeah, I'm surprised how well he's retained his pace. I'm retraining him to MC though so he has more of a chance of keeping up his quality when his pace actually drops.

Margetson's had his first big injury too - missing the last 3 months of the 2049/2050 season with a hip injury. It's a wear and tear injury too which means it'll probably be a recurring one. Could spell disaster for his challenge.

Margetson's had his first big injury too - missing the last 3 months of the 2049/2050 season with a hip injury. It's a wear and tear injury too which means it'll probably be a recurring one. Could spell disaster for his challenge.

Or not. The game has crashed during a match again (this is getting worryingly regular the further I get into this save) so I've lost a couple of great results but have an un-injured Margetson again.

2049/50

• Margetson (30): 826 apps
  • Lowe (29): 723
  • Dowling (24): 491 apps, 291 goals
  • Jonathan Ingram (16):  19

It's lucky for Margetson that my game crashed or he'd have struggled to break 800 this season otherwise. Lowe, yet again, is slightly trailing behind due to small injuries. Nearly an entire season off-pace now. Dowling had another fantastic goal scoring season, winning Prem Top Scorer despite missing the last 6 weeks of the season. New graduate Jon Ingram is off to a fabulous start already, getting a really solid rating over those 19 games despite his young age.

Screen_Shot_2017-07-25_at_00.55.46.png

Screen_Shot_2017-07-25_at_00.56.12.png

Screen_Shot_2017-07-25_at_00.56.26.png

Screen_Shot_2017-07-25_at_00.56.00.png

Also I have to unfortunately confirm the end of Dubois' challenge. A 6 month injury is just too much to recover from at his age plus he was really struggling to perform in central midfield due to how teeny tiny he is. At over £400k per week, he just has to go now.

• Dubois (36): 763

Screen_Shot_2017-07-25_at_00.56.53.png

Ah gutted for Dubois, but excited about Ingram - I'm hoping for a decent central defender to appear. I've attempted it with a couple, but they just couldn't cut it. 

I'm currently experiencing my worst season in a few years, so I'm potentially at a point where I need to mix my squad up a bit which could open up some gaps for younger players. I do have a new 18 year old 'keeper, who could theoretically play every game for the next 20 seasons or so. Other than that, Williams continues to be solid for me and Griswold is great if not inconsistent. I'll be doing an update at the end of my season.

2025/26

• Adam Williams (20): 215 apps
  • Lee-Roy Griswold (18): 114 apps
  • Godwin Okechukwu (15): 2 apps

597ece23c2d2e_AdamWilliams_OverviewAttributes-2.thumb.png.e63e058587e9889c51a614f11cdab9a1.png

597ece40b7761_Lee-RoyGriswold_OverviewAttributes-2.thumb.png.5f933a5a736c64c968f8a669c04147c6.png

597ece3a860bf_GodwinOkechukwu_OverviewAttributes.thumb.png.cecfec470d75e50063574cd00e0bed0a.png

A poor season club wise means I've only just scraped a Europa League place for next year. Luckily my board is quite realistic and have let me stay on.

My youth intake was actually very good, with potential 1000+ appearance kids all across the back four - but seeing as I should really try to stabilise my squad and push higher up the table, the timing is just a little off. Maybe when they're 17/18 I could give it a go, but for now I'm going to stick with already established defenders.

That said, I have a new candidate in the form of Godwin Okechukwu, a 15 year old goalkeeper who played my final two games of the season. I'm very excited for this kid, and I think I can get away with having him around the first team, giving him appearances in the cups.. In theory he should be able to rack up 10-20 games this coming season, and maybe more if he does well enough to play in the league.

Williams and Griswold played as many games as I could physically get them to play. Suspensions meant they both missed 3 or 4 league games, and fatigue meant Griswold needed a rest here and there. Williams is starting to get restless amid interest from Man City, which is a pain.. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep hold of him.

...and here's the most likely central defender to have a chance, Sean Duffy  (16) 11 apps

597ece3d86c86_SeanDuffy_OverviewAttributes.thumb.png.0347894185fa51dd6f70ef2eae78e3d2.png

DCs with good natural fitness can hit late 30s quite easily, so it's ok to slowly introduce them the first few seasons. They should be looking to be starters at 18, though, to really stand a chance.

2050/51

• Margetson (31): 884 apps
  • Lowe (30): 777 apps
  • Dowling (25): 551 apps, 336 goals
  • Jonathan Ingram (17):  74 apps
  • Rendani Rankhasa (16): 13 apps, 5 goals

I had a bunch of promising youths come through this season but didn't really have the space for all of them so had to pick one to stick with and went for Rankhasa to partner Dowling - Dowling's scoring record is incredible so it seemed the safest position to go for (even though Rankhasa's finishing is worryingly low). The others were a defender (and I already have one youth player in the back 3 so can't risk that) and a fullback (which I don't play with). Margetson is now in the final stretch for this while Lowe is starting to worry me. Ingram has had another great season for someone so young. He's destined to be a star.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-06_at_12.11.34.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-06_at_12.11.59.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-06_at_12.12.12.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-06_at_12.11.46.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-06_at_12.12.26.png

Looks like Margetson will have it completed in 2 seasons but Lowe will need to go until he's 35ish.. 

I really like the look of Rankhasa, his physicals are brilliant for a 16yo!

2051/52

• Margetson (32): 944 apps
  • Lowe (31): 838 apps
  • Dowling (26): 615 apps, 381 goals
  • Jonathan Ingram (18):  125 apps
  • Rendani Rankhasa (17): 76 apps, 23 goals

Lowe finally knocks out a full season worth of appearances so, as you say, he should make it by age 35. Margetson can break the 1000 next season with a good season behind him - he's already declining, which isn't great news so I doubt he'll end up the record holder. Dowling and Rankhasa have a good partnership forming, which is excellent. Rankhasa has been breaking most of Dowling's youngest scorer records and has scored more during his first two seasons than Dowling did. His finishing is almost double figures now... Ingram has had a poor season by his previous standards, possibly because I've moved him to DRC from DC due to Margetson's lowering pace and acceleration. Still, years to improve.

Rankhasa has also been called up to the France U20s. If he chooses France at senior level it means I won't ever lose him to the African Cup, even though Lesotho will probably never qualify for it anyway.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-10_at_15.38.55.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-10_at_15.39.35.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-10_at_15.39.53.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-10_at_15.39.14.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-10_at_15.40.13.png

2026/27

• Adam Williams (21): 267 apps

Adam Williams really wants to leave and his performances have started to reflect that, he also won't sign a new contract. I'm considering replacing him in the team, but I still have a faint hope that I'll be able to keep him on so until I'm entirely sure he's gonna go, I'll keep playing him. My team is consistently playing around 50 games per season which means I need a complete 20 season career out of a player, so progress is fairly slow but he's very good so if I can sort out his attitude, the rest should fall into place. He does have 3 years remaining on his current deal.

5993fea1b8160_AdamWilliams_OverviewAttributes-3.thumb.png.27783ab3e6a55f46d4b567feb330c5af.png

• Lee-Roy Griswold (19): 163 apps

My top scorer for the season, all from midfield - he's developing really nicely and is just getting on with things. He's one of the first to be jaded and in need of a rest, so I have to manage his game time accordingly but that doesn't stop him getting appearances. I may use him further forward for the forthcoming season, but I'm yet to make up my mind.. 

5993feb442611_Lee-RoyGriswold_OverviewAttributes-3.thumb.png.c0dfede049a8bb06345de47955eee144.png

• Godwin Okechukwu (16): 44 apps

There's no doubt that Godwin isn't my best keeper, but he's been solid enough and although he does concede a few he should save, he generally does alright. I have faith that he's going to develop into a world class talent and at the age of 16 he's got plenty of time to develop. I'd rather he didn't have a 'Casual' personality, but only time will tell if that affects him going forward.

5993feb762277_GodwinOkechukwu_OverviewAttributes-2.thumb.png.7cfafe2bc0ef86726c7fe3050d83daae.png

I mentioned Sean Duffy in my last post who was rotated into the side to make around 25 appearances, but I've loaned him out for the forthcoming season so it's unlikely he'll hit the target. I do have another central defender waiting in the wings, but I won't talk about him until I'm happy to stick him into the team on a regular basis.

2052/53

• Margetson (33): 1,005 apps
  • Lowe (32): 899 apps
  • Dowling (27): 673 apps, 426 goals
  • Jonathan Ingram (19):  186 apps
  • Rendani Rankhasa (18): 133 apps, 45 goals

And there we have it - Margetson breaks the 1,000 apps with room to spare. Quite frankly amazing for someone who is apparently a serious injury risk. Another injury-free season for Lowe means he's now within 2 seasons of also breaking it. The other three continue as normal with great efforts. With FM2018 release announced this is likely to be the last of the players I'll go for the challenge with. Doesn't matter who comes through from here on, unless I fluke a ridiculously talented son, these guys are the end of this version's challenge. As you can see, Margetson's declining far faster than someone with such high Natural Fitness should be, so he's already to take a back seat to the rest of the team. I'm sure he'll continue to rack up sub-appearances, but his ever-presentness is no longer a thing.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-16_at_18.20.43.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-16_at_18.21.03.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-16_at_18.21.22.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-16_at_18.21.42.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-16_at_18.22.39.png

Stealing the layout.. 

2025/2026

• Stephen Poku (17) - 31 apps

Decided to start him around december, when I posted the  picture of him here. Had 2 weeks out with an injury. Developed quite nicely. Will be a starter for next season in League One. 

02_06_2026.thumb.png.8f35d657f23cb2d33c280de35e6750b1.png

I only have one professional at the club right now, but he's on loan. Will try to look for one. 

edit: Found a Professional with 15 in determination and he is now tutoring Poku.

2053/54

• Margetson (34): 1,014 apps
  • Lowe (33): 948 apps
  • Dowling (28): 738 apps, 474 goals
  • Jonathan Ingram (20):  254 apps
  • Rendani Rankhasa (19): 194 apps, 74 goals

As expected, Margetson is playing a much smaller role this season due to his deterioration. With a back 3 I just don't feel comfortable with someone so slow in there. Lowe gets hit with a big injury and misses the last two months of the season. Dowling doing well as usual, despite going through a rather large scoring drought around February. Ingram played in every single match of the season - which was every single match possible as I reached the final in every competition. Rankhasa is still doing well in his role as foil for Dowling and his scoring is starting to raise. His finishing is still worryingly slow to develop though. Ingram, on the other hand, is quickly turning into one of the best defenders I've ever seen in the game.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-24_at_19.01.49.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-24_at_19.02.18.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-24_at_19.02.32.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-24_at_19.02.03.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-24_at_19.02.45.png

Impressive to see the numbers you have here.

Just to ask: is it only legal to get a player in the Hall of Fame with the number of games at one club?

To make an example:

Player A plays 100 games over 2 seasons for Club 1 with me as the manager. I then leave Club 1 to take over Club 2, and immediately buy Player A. I stay there for 10 seasons where he gets 500 games. I then leave Club 2 to take over Club 3, and again buy Player A. He then finishes there for several seasons playing 450 games. Would that count as 1050 games or only 500 (the most he got at one club)

2 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Two youth DCs at the same time can be a real problem defensively. You could always give it a go and see how it goes, but it may go horribly wrong :D

Exactly :p 

Luckily I'm pretty much safe in my first season in championsship, so might play them together the last 10 games and see how it goes. 

2027/2028

• Stephen Poku (19): 134
  • Fraser Hutchison (16): 11

Poku hasn't progessed as I hoped this season. Hutchison got tested together with Poku in the last 11 games. Won 3, drew 5 and lost 3. My backup keeper became first keeper, as the board sold my best. And of course the backup got injured twice in the last 11 games. So I'm going to start Poku and Hutchison next season! 

01_06_2028.thumb.png.b72ed7c31eaa3e0bef4ddfdbf7e54855.png

01_06_2028.thumb.png.5a025b7c07f6b72608ad2237dc389c9d.png

Just curious, since obviously one of you is at Newcastle, and the other at Burnley -- did you both start at these clubs?

I normally play challenges where I start much lower down the leagues, but I'm looking for a new challenge.

I've just returned to FM17 after running for public office in my hometown, so I'm trying to revive my blog as all of my old saves have gone stale!  Please let me know how you started your saves?  

Thanks very much and keep up the challenge, loving this thread!

On 25.8.2017 at 18:24, Ackter said:

As long as the appearance are for you, it doesn't matter which club they're at. So yes, if you take the player with you it will still count.

Cool.

So far there is not a lot of chance for any of my players getting a lot of games. But if I can get a good prospect I will start updating here.

9 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

Just curious, since obviously one of you is at Newcastle, and the other at Burnley -- did you both start at these clubs?

I normally play challenges where I start much lower down the leagues, but I'm looking for a new challenge.

I've just returned to FM17 after running for public office in my hometown, so I'm trying to revive my blog as all of my old saves have gone stale!  Please let me know how you started your saves?  

I always start at Newcastle - I find I lose interest in the game very quickly if I don't.

1 hour ago, Ackter said:

I always start at Newcastle - I find I lose interest in the game very quickly if I don't.

Thank you, Sir. :)  

I support a Top 6 club, so it is rare that I ever play an FM game with them, unless it is a journeyman save and I work my way there.  (LFC)

I was thinking about doing an English youth challenge but having to promote through six tiers I'm doubting many of my players would get to 1k unless I really get bogged down in a level.  

Anyway, thanks again, I'll definitely be throwing this in my next save!

12 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

I started off by attempting the SAF Challenge, so holidayed to 6th November and took over whichever team was 19th in the Premier League... For me, that just happened to be Burnley.

As it so happens, I failed the proper rules to the challenge but got nicely stuck into the save and so never left...

4 hours ago, Joe. said:

I started off by attempting the SAF Challenge, so holidayed to 6th November and took over whichever team was 19th in the Premier League... For me, that just happened to be Burnley.

As it so happens, I failed the proper rules to the challenge but got nicely stuck into the save and so never left...

Thanks, Joe!  I didn't have time to do more than give you an "upvote" earlier, but appreciate you taking the time to respond, as well!

The SAF Challenge is honestly a big consideration for me, just because I think a LFC save would be very easy for me.  Likely doing SAF or an England Youth Challenge... need some good difficulty, I've been a serial winner for four versions now. :(

1 hour ago, Ackter said:

Oh that's rough. Unlucky mate.

New players will join this challenge for Enfield, so no problem. Only thing is I should have changed Hutchison way earlier. Him and Poku got the first 11 games in the new season, as well as the last 11 games the season before. I had 0 wins and 2 draws after 11 games. But I'm guessing that's the risk when playing a 16-year old and 19-year old in defence :D

Yea, defensive youngsters have been my weak point in general.. I've temporarily given up on the keeper and any defender, just focusing on the main two who dominate the centre of the park. Results have certainly improved!

Also realised that I've not updated my latest end of season, so I'll be doing a mid season update soon enough.

2054/55

• Margetson (35R): 1,021 apps
  • Lowe (34): 1,007 apps
  • Dowling (29): 788 apps, 512 goals
  • Ingram (21):  315 apps
  • Rankhasa (20): 253 apps, 108 goals
  • Thackray (16): 18 apps

Yeah, I said I wasn't going to add any more players, but then Thackray came through the youth as one of the best players ever, so what the hell. Margetson only gets 7 more apps and has now retired from professional football - 1,021 apps is pretty good going for someone who didn't start at the club and also deteriorated so quickly. Lowe has now also broken through the 1,000 apps barrier - and just in time as his performances are beginning to drop (though he's still excellent). A quiet season from Dowling, by his standards, partly due to niggling injuries picked up throughout the season. Still, 50 appearances is a decent turn in and he's past the 500 career goals mark. Rankhasa's scoring boots are getting better and better, with 34 goals this season - hoping to see him and Dowling destroy the opposition next season. Ingram had his usual solid and reliable season. 

Screen_Shot_2017-08-31_at_19.33.19.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-31_at_19.34.00.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-31_at_19.34.18.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-31_at_19.33.34.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-31_at_19.34.39.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-31_at_19.33.03.png

Very glad that you gents are still active with this.

I've begun my save, I'm playing a Youth Academy Challenge in England.  I'm unaware of anyone to ever complete the challenge in England, and wanted an extremely long-term challenge, and something that would be truly meaningful as an accomplishment for the trouble. :)

So, I am starting in the English sixth-tier with Kettering Town.  Normally, on a "Dafuge" style save in England, I'd go for a lower-reputation club, but with it being such an extremely tough challenge to start with, Kettering was the best choice because of having the highest reputation out of all the previously unplayable clubs at start. (2500)

Obviously will take me a few seasons to figure out who our players are that will have a shot at 1,000 -- but I'll be in it for the duration, and good to see everyone here still active at this point in the version! :)  Best of luck to all of us!

2028/29 mid-season

• Adam Williams (23): 349 apps
  • Lee-Roy Griswold (21): 281 apps

Back to the main two guys for me, as the Goalkeeper made too many errors and I only salvaged my season by winning the Europa League. I've strengthened my first XI and so hopefully I'll be more consistent going forward. Steady progress for these two, but at this current rate they'll be playing until they're 36.

Adam Williams signed a new 5 year contract, with the option of 3 further years in the close season and has been named my captain. His strop appears to be over, but I'm currently in the January transfer window and the sharks are circling regardless.

Lee-Roy Griswold is in a similar position as he's had interest from a number of clubs, and fresh off the back of a poor club season he's wanting to move to a bigger club - but I move into a new stadium in 2029 and have hopes for a top 3 finish this time around.. Just got to keep the team there! I've promised him a Champions League win this season, so I've put a bit of pressure on myself there... and I've drawn Barcelona in the first knockout round.

59ae63ff75150_AdamWilliams_OverviewAttributes-4.thumb.png.253ebf6a3ab126cef84c15ace94df8bf.png

59ae6402e459d_Lee-RoyGriswold_OverviewAttributes-4.thumb.png.ed22619ef36e59821303a2c853836685.png

• 2 weeks later...

2029/30

• Adam Williams (24): 425 apps
  • Lee-Roy Griswold (22) 323 apps

They both continue to rack up the appearances, though it's all a bit 'Groundhog Day' as Williams is unhappy once again and I can't see myself winning him round this time. He does have plenty of time left on his contract, and I'm rejecting bids all over the place - but if I can't tie him down to a new deal his contract will expire when he has around 700 appearances to his name.

Griswold is a bit happier at the club now so I'm hopeful of keeping him going for a while yet. 

On a personal level, if I don't win a few things with Burnley this season I might move on myself - and with any luck, I could bring these guys with me.

59bf944ce5711_AdamWilliams_OverviewAttributes-5.thumb.png.c0b1b06662b46b387e2e150b13e5398a.png

59bf94547eb95_Lee-RoyGriswold_OverviewAttributes-5.thumb.png.6968cc60b2fc1f20f42f1ebf37a3be4a.png

Archived