Johannes Eggestein Or Lautaro Martinez

brfcboy

Who to buy 

I am at the start of pre season in my 4th season - 3rd season on the prem with Blackburn and have just qualified for the champions league by finishing 2nd last year and winning the Uefa Cup

I can buy either  Johannes Eggestein  or  Lautaro Martinez

Johannes Eggestein  would cost around 45 million  - 20 million upfront the rest in installments and add on 

Lautaro Martinez  would cost 30 million minimum fee from Barcelona 

Any of you guys had any experiences which could help me decide who to buy ?

Thanks in advance

Eggestein often turns into a VERY complete forward. Never really pacey but usually his pace is about average. Often ends up at one of the big German clubs. Hard to go wrong with him.

I've actually toyed with a Bremen save in large part because of him being in the Bremen II team.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know who the first guy is but Martinez is an absolute must have and develops into a fantastically well rounded striker. In my first season, while playing as Palace, I got him for £8 million and sold him two years later for 40.

With 20 for determination and 15 for both heading and finishing he plays like a cross between Carlos Tevez and Gonzalo Higuain. He can also be trained to do almost anything in terms of attacking movement and is versatile enough to be played in whatever forward role you choose to play him in

On my fifth season with AC Milan I have a great squad of young players but I wish I had Eggestein his stats are incredible Spurs just got him for 47m, he's 6ft, 17 finishing with 16 composure and strength and at just 22 years of age with lots of his other stats at 15's and 16's. Only looked at Martinez briefly he was on my shortlist, just looked at him again smaller at 5ft9 with stats not as impressive although still very good, I think Tevez would be a good example of the player he most resembles especially being almost 13 stone which kind of makes up for his lack of height.

I'd take Eggestein every time though, If I was a team that doesn't push their full backs on as much and/or prefers playing with inside forwards on the wing therefore not looking to cross the ball and playing to Eggesteins strengths as much I'd still take him over Martinez even as a false 9 I think he'd be the better player.

Maybe It's about my technical and tactical approach to game but Luciano Vietto type strikers have always been better for my teams instead of Dzeko type strikers. Even I think Eggestein is the hot shot of this year Lautaro Martinez has been more clinical in my saves.

It must be to do with the way we set up I wouldn't compare Dzeko with Eggestein though the latter is quick Dzeko isn't and never was Eggestein is a good four inches smaller too. I nearly signed Vietto on so many occasions on 17 a few times with this Milan side, funnily enough it was his lack of strength and height that put me off.

I'm curious to the formation you play obviously If you go two up top It changes the dynamics completely.

16 hours ago, Kingkestrel said:

It must be to do with the way we set up I wouldn't compare Dzeko with Eggestein though the latter is quick Dzeko isn't and never was Eggestein is a good four inches smaller too. I nearly signed Vietto on so many occasions on 17 a few times with this Milan side, funnily enough it was his lack of strength and height that put me off.

I'm curious to the formation you play obviously If you go two up top It changes the dynamics completely.

Exactly. Most of the times I'm playing with middle-class European teams at most 2-3 seasons. I noticed that if you're the underdog in most of the Uefa Champions League, UEFA Euopean League games short foxy strikers have been the opening key for me. Back in FM 2016 I was extremely glad with Mario Gomez even he was not that fast and not a good dribbler he was always scoring with his head and half volleys. But whenever I play against a stronger side it didn't work for me. Aguero and Vietto were my best scoring and award winner strikers with my other experimental saves with a few top class team.

So I noticed that my understanding of football is working better with foxy type strikers rather than Pivot Strikers. So I never managed to get the best of Diego Costa or Drogba type players while playing with middle class teams if I go that route.

Finally I was Playing 4-2-3-1(2 dm) back in FM 2016. Now I'm playing 4-1-2-3 aggressive whipped crosses(obviously). Most of the time with one extremely good crosser and another intelligent inside forward on the other side for more variation. More or less It resulted close stats to each other, all well in Leverkusen and Besiktas saves. One of my left back has 17 crossing and my right winger 19... Most assists come from them and I use my Ramdeuter as IFL he is like 13 goals 13 assists per season.

My slow striker with good finishing scores in easy matches but Lautaro Martinez is the main scorer and weirdly he scores these nice headers to low corners which I'm not used to see this year.

I tried Eggestein in my Leverkusen save. But I don't know why, my raumdeuter became my main scorer and set pieces were fine because of Calhanoglu and Jonathan Tah(surprise headers). But In general Eggestein type of players add other qualities to the gameplay while playing with major clubs. As a result I'd say Eggestein is better for top clubs but If you go Anderlecht, PSV type teams Lautaro Martinez would be clinical.

Very interesting Indeed, It certainly makes sense what you're saying In regards to Martinez being the better striker for middle class teams If/when I become a manager of one again I'll definitely give him a go. Using Anderlecht and PSV as examples of middle class teams is very interesting as well they are obviously top dogs In their league but then If they were to get to the knockout of the CL then It would be a bit of a shock so I think that's fair. 

As you said I can see Eggestein not being as  prolific In say the Belgian, Portuguese, and Dutch leagues. With their pace being practically identical at least In my save after 4 seasons that may be seem weird but I agree In that I think a smaller/foxy striker will give you natural agility and pace compare to a player 3 inches taller, therefore breaking the shape of the backline and making more forward runs, simply killing teams with poor backlines which a lot of teams possess In the Portuguese and Dutch leagues especially. In those leagues I would certainly look to have at least one of my wide men as an inside forward maybe both which again I believe would be more effective with a foxy striker.

With the mid class clubs playing outside the major 5 leagues In Europe I'd take a punt on Martinez plus the work permit issues are a lot more lax over there. The clubs looking to go beyond the champs league group stages In higher rated leagues I think I'd take Eggestein.

Archived