[FM16] Old habits die hard - San Marino Youth Only Challenge take ∞

Makoto Nakamura

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think height matters, but you probably could improve Ivano's jumping reach if you tried.

Height is an indication of where a players relative strength may lie. (So it sort of matters).

I can't remember which FM it was, (but thinking about it, it wasn't FM16 which means it was FM14), and I tracked the height, (and growth), of all my youth products for a period of 12 years, (I think), together with anyone I bought under a certain age, (I think it was 19).

What it showed me was that growth, (in terms of height)........

of very tall players, (6'4"+) was almost non-existent. Most of the time their height never rose by a single 1" and if they did, it never EVER rise by more than 1".

of tall players (between 6'0" - 6'3"), was minimal and their height usually only rose by 1" and never EVER did it rise by more than 2".

It showed me that, (not really surprisingly when you think about it), the type of players with the most improvement in height were the smallest players.

To give you a rough estimate on how many players I tracked....

16 players in a youth intake x 12 years running the tracking = 192 + every other player that was on my shortlist as a 15/16 year old and I had an indication that I might buy in the future. I would guess that the total number was approx 275(ish), which is a reasonable size for an experiment over a reasonable number of years.

I will put my money where my mouth is and say that as Ivano was 6'5" as a 16yo, he will never be bigger than 6'6", (and unfortunately I think that he will probably remain 6'5").

[Edit]

In terms of training him, yes of course you could train him in jumping to get it more than 12, but his heading is only at 7. If he was a centre-half, then I would probably opt for jumping over heading every day, but as a striker, (even a TM), it's not enough to win the header, he actually has to direct the header.

So with that in mind, (just a suggestion), I would look to improve his heading to make the best use of one of his best attributes, (jumping).

Height is an indication of where a players relative strength may lie. (So it sort of matters).

I can't remember which FM it was, (but thinking about it, it wasn't FM16 which means it was FM14), and I tracked the height, (and growth), of all my youth products for a period of 12 years, (I think), together with anyone I bought under a certain age, (I think it was 19).

What it showed me was that growth, (in terms of height)........

of very tall players, (6'4"+) was almost non-existent. Most of the time their height never rose by a single 1" and if they did, it never EVER rise by more than 1".
of tall players (between 6'0" - 6'3"), was minimal and their height usually only rose by 1" and never EVER did it rise by more than 2".
It showed me that, (not really surprisingly when you think about it), the type of players with the most improvement in height were the smallest players.

To give you a rough estimate on how many players I tracked....

16 players in a youth intake x 12 years running the tracking = 192 + every other player that was on my shortlist as a 15/16 year old and I had an indication that I might buy in the future. I would guess that the total number was approx 275(ish), which is a reasonable size for an experiment over a reasonable number of years.

I will put my money where my mouth is and say that as Ivano was 6'5" as a 16yo, he will never be bigger than 6'6", (and unfortunately I think that he will probably remain 6'5").

[Edit]

In terms of training him, yes of course you could train him in jumping to get it more than 12, but his heading is only at 7. If he was a centre-half, then I would probably opt for jumping over heading every day, but as a striker, (even a TM), it's not enough to win the header, he actually has to direct the header.

So with that in mind, (just a suggestion), I would look to improve his heading to make the best use of one of his best attributes, (jumping).

Jimbo - I absolutely love the depth you put into pretty much everything football manager :applause: Ivano is still 6'5" and his jumping reach has risen to 13, I've now changed his individual training to heading though.

I agree - Vicini looks like the best of the bunch - how are they all performing?

YP4a has made the step up to the first team but a rating of 6.61 from 12 appearances isn't very good really, Ivano is playing U19 football and has 1 goal and assist from 7 appearances with an average rating of 6.64 and strangely enough, Nicolo Vicini is performing the best in the Under 19's with a 6.88 average so far.

2019/20 Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

A very very mixed season as I'm trying to create a tactic after being 'inspired' by the works of one Zdenek Zeman, we were the top scorers and conceded the most so in that case it worked.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

We were demolished in the Final.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating & Young Player of the Season:
Nicolo Casadei (YP1b) - 7.33

6 goals and 5 PotM awards for one of the first youth products :)

Top Goalscorer:
David Lonfernini (YP1f) - 10

Scored just under one every other game, he's got speed but not a lot else.

Aims for next season:

Build on this, score some more.

Other teams:

League Winners: Domagnano

Cup Winners: Tre Penne

How the team in CL qualifying did: Domagnano lost 5-0 to Welsh side TNS in the 1st Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We lost 4-1 to Czech side Dukla Prague in the 1st Qualifying Round.

San Marino National team:

2019 Results - 2020 Results

A draw against New Zealand with narrow 1-0 losses against Estonia and Czech Republic and a 2-0 loss away to France.

Brief Zdenekian Tactics

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/11/27/the-zdenek-zeman-method-a-look-at-the-tactical-approach-of-the-legendary-coach/

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2012/02/tactics-pure-attacking-football-in-pescara/

7523cce0a2fb7e127bbe3abb7b272236.png

da53b4b04168db1e1fb9b473a9f75792.png

The first tactic is my home tactic and the second one is my away tactic, I'm pretty poor tactically but I want to use the style that Zdenek Zeman has used can anyone give me any pointers/advice/anything to build on or am I doing okay?

I'll read the links you posted tomorrow so I won't say too much yet, but from my (admittedly very limited) tactical knowledge 18 and 17 instructions are too many IMO. I'd keep it a lot more simplistic and then use individual instructions to shape things a bit further. (The tactic I use now personally has 8 team instructions).

Those are just suicide mate. All those attack duties and all those instructions. There will be so many that contradict each other. I don't think you could get away with that with the current Barcelona team if i'm honest. Be interested for someone to try it and see. All you would have to against that is play deep and all those attacking duties would just be trying to get the ball forward at any and every opportunity. Sit deep and hit on the counter repeatedly because the CWB's would leave so much space in behind.

I know you have based it from a real life manager and i'm always interested in these tactics but for a San Marino youth only save it might be ambitious.

Having said all that if it's working and it seems like it is sometimes and you're happy with it then my opinion means absolutely nothing and carry on, i'll still be following and looking forward to the updates. :thup:

You'll be amazed what I've seen work in my careers and others Lewis ;) One of the things I'm worried about in that formation is availability of suitable wing backs, as they're relatively uncommon players.

My initial reaction is too many instructions, but when I looked at the instructions for the 4141 formation, they actually seemed to fit well. I think the idea behind too many instructions being a negative things is the assumption that some of them will be at odds with something somewhere else, however from what I have seen looking at that 2nd tactic, everything seems quite well connected.

If I was to make 1 piece of constructive criticism, (and feel free to ignore), it might be that if you are playing a very high line and pressing high up the pitch, you don't want to me so limited at the back that a "hoof and hope" out-ball is going to put you in trouble at the back with both your lumbering centre-backs unable to cope with an average ball over the top and a speedy attacker romping past them. With that in mind, my thoughts would lean towards only 1 full-back on rampage duties.

The other thing, is that in my opinion, sometimes loads of attacking duties tend to be less effective than a mix of attacking and supporting duties. If they are all attacking then are they attacking similar areas? Will it dilute the effectiveness of those more likely to score?

Ramdeuter(a) with Cwb(a) behind is asking to be bent over. If I had decided that I was going to be playing a RDM(a) on the right, then whatever role I selected at right bcak, it wouldn't be on an (a) duty.

Lastly, you have a RGA(s) who will want to control things and much will go through him, but you also have a WTM and you will try to also play through him. Add in an AP and it all seems muddled. Will it be extra-efficient because you will have so many options, or will you confuse your own players so much that the opposition won't have much to worry about anyway. I have used a RGA(s) with an AP(a) to good effect in the past, but never with a WTM. That's not to say that I tried it and it didn't work. Just that it didn't seem like it would fit so I didn't try it.

All in all it looks very exciting, but I would worry when you lose the ball and don't manage to win it back quickly. Huge spaces on both flanks and in behind and yes you will be limiting the quality of the ball, but even a GK punt might cause you problems looking at this, (and that's certainly something I would be looking to exploit were I managing the other side). If you were by far the dominant side in the league then I can see you having fun with this and ironing out any little issues, but while the league us still competitive.... I'm not sure it's too sensible.

Fun? Yes.

Sensible? Not so much. :lol:

Good luck with the fun. :thup:

You'll be amazed what I've seen work in my careers and others Lewis ;) One of the things I'm worried about in that formation is availability of suitable wing backs, as they're relatively uncommon players.

I would try an work around that.

Get the U19's manager, (or whoever), to play the same formation as the senior team, and also ensure that the HoYD has a preferred formation that includes wb's.

I don't think we have seen the HoYD, but so far we have had this, (in terms of wb's).

Starting squad. WBLx3

Youth intake 1. WBRx1.

Youth intake 2. WBLx1.

Youth intake 3. WBLx1 & WBRx1.

Youth intake 4. WBLx1

Youth intake 5. zilch!

So it's actually been decent so far, and of course you can always retrain players to new positions, but this takes up valuable CA points.

Yeah you're probably right there delta to be honest.

2020/21 Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We win, but only just. I hate Domagnano.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Out in the groups, I hate Domagnano.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating
Luca Manzaroli (YP0b) - 7.41

A surprise as he's stepped up a notch this season most definitely!

Top Goalscorer & Young Player of the Year:
Andrea Podeschi (YP3h) - 11

11 goals from 23, not bad.

Aims for next season:

Maybe retain the title?

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: Tre Penne

How the team in CL qualifying did: Domagnano lost 6-0 to Lithuanian side Zalgris in the 1st Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Tre Penne lost 7-0 to Liechtensteiner side Vaduz in the 1st Qualifying Round.

2020 Results - 2021 Results

Drew with Lithuania but nothing else exciting.

2021/22 Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Much better! :D

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Lost in the Semi-Final.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating
Riccardo Bettini - 7.46

One of the few originals who are still playing regularly, Riccardo had a great season.

Top Goalscorer & Young Player of the Year:
Andrea Podeschi (YP3h) - 22

Double the amount of goals as last season!

Aims for next season:

More of the same.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: Cosmos

How the team in CL qualifying did: We lost 9-2 to Czech side Viktoria Plzen in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Tre Penne lost 4-0 to Icelandic side Stjarnan in the 1st Qualifying Round.

2021 Results - 2022 Results

Drew with Malta.

2022/23 Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We lost 2 games all season, the very first game, and the Championship Final, I hate Domagnano.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

At least we're in the Europa League next season :)

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating
Giacomo Sarti (YP3a) - 7.60

A great showing from Giacomo with 10 assists and 4 PotM awards.

Top Goalscorer:
Andrea Podeschi (YP3h) - 21

1 goal less this season but still great.

Young Player of the Year:
Luca Rosini (YP7f)

Luca entered the team with a bang! 11 goals and 16 assists in his debut season!

Aims for next season:

Regain the league.

Other teams:

League Winners: Domagnano

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: We lost 11-1 to Cypriot side Omonoia in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Tre Penne lost 5-0 to Bosnian side Siroki Bijeg in the 1st Qualifying Round.

2022 Results - 2023 Results

A couple of 0-0 draws but the NT has scored just 1 goal since October 2020.

I'm liking the way that San Giovanni is doing great before going semi-pro soon.:) And also, a massive release of players would be a big deal that they will play for other teams in the San Marino League or maybe not. What are the results of the Shirak (2018), Dukha Prague (2019), Viktoria Plzen (2021) and Omonoia Nicosia (2022) in the ECL and EL after they beat San Giovanni respectively?

I'm liking the way that San Giovanni is doing great before going semi-pro soon.:) And also, a massive release of players would be a big deal that they will play for other teams in the San Marino League or maybe not. What are the results of the Shirak (2018), Dukha Prague (2019), Viktoria Plzen (2021) and Omonoia Nicosia (2022) in the ECL and EL after they beat San Giovanni respectively?

I don't think any of the players released will join another club, I think they're all going to just retire in fairness.

Shirak - Lost 4-0 to FC Steaua of Romania in the 2nd Qualifying Round.
Dukla Prague - Lost 6-2 to Borussia Mönchengladbach in the 3rd Qualifying Round.
Viktoria Plzen - Made it to the Group Stage but got no points, the were drawn against Man City, Dortmund & Porto.
Omonoia Nicosia - Lost 3-0 to Dinamo in the 3rd Qualifying Round but made it to the Europa League Groups finishing bottom of their group getting 4 points. They were in a group with Viktoria Plzen, Schalke & Olympique Marseille.

Archived