Strikerless thread

Afternoon all

http://i.imgur.com/JFb3auv.png

I browsed the forum to see if there was a strikerless thread but could see mentions of it, rather than a dedicated one - but happy for this to be moved there if necessary.

Below is my tactic that I am using with Oxford, currently in my second season after winning L2 last season, when I was predicted to finish 10th. I thought that strikerless would be good for me for 2 reasons:

My strikers are crap

I thought a notionally deep/compact formation would help me to fight bravely against the odds - I'm tipped to finish bottom.

However whats happened has that I'm 4th after 18 games, 4 points off 2nd.

My formation is above and although I have 2 other formations, I use them sparingly and may remove them altogether.

I'm playing some cracking stuff but would welcome feedback. Particularly questions around:

- Is Counter a sensible strategy - I usually use standard

- My front three work well but when watching games they are sometimes on top of each other - hence why I moved the right of the front three to the AMR position...but this was related to a couple of injuries

- I could probably change some of the defensive duties, but as this is L1, we're hardly blessed with Baresi's in the squad

Im trying to create controlled, attacking football with multiple, unpredictable threats. My TIs are:

work out of defence, work ball into box, prevent short GK dist, roam from positions, run at defence

Any views welcome!

thanks

I love trying these types of formations. My thoughts:

- I like the idea of moving at least one of your front three into a wide position

- I question using a winger when you don't have any forwards or centralized attacking midfielders/shadow strikers

- I would rather use an IF, RMD, or even an AP on the wing, as these roles are designed more for creativity, passing, and movement than the simplistic traditional winger role centred around crossing

- Similar formations have worked for me in the past (except with two wide in the front three), using two IF(a) and an AP(a) in between them, with a CM(a) and BBM(s) behind him...works just like a standard 4-1-2-2-1 DM Wide with a F9 as striker

- I would consider a shadow striker or AM(a) who would try to push forward and get on the end of through balls

- The CM(a) is an exciting idea with a bunch of playmaker types around him

- Your left fullback is pretty conservative, and no one up ahead of him is going to do much out wide

- It might make sense to use a more conservative DM and give your fullbacks more freedom to advance

I have achieved success with two striker less tactic, Overload 2440 with crystal palace/Real Madrid and Attacking 41230 with Tottenham. Quite good with no save loads.

- Is Counter a sensible strategy

I always use Overload or attacking. What I analyse the strength of counter to be would be the Counter phase and the control of possession afterwards.

I generally think that if you really want to maximize the output of counterattack phase, you should play a striker. A striker upfront would be better for leading counter attacks.

Counter is certainly good on providing possession. However I have never not been able to make any tactic that could dominate enough possession in 16. In 15, I use to play 14320 and can even dominate possession to 70% even against Barcelona away. I simply don't consider 60% or so of possession is enough. I just don't consider possession football is good enough in 16

- My front three work well but when watching games they are sometimes on top of each other

In attacking 41230 I play 3 shadow strikers and they never crash on to each other. I will actually say that they played quite well off the ball and scored the most goals in the league.

- I could probably change some of the defensive duties

Maybe, but I played wing back positions. However I think regista will push higher in the pitch and may not provide enough cover for defense, and DLP(S) with CM(A) will simply not do enough in defense, but it may be worthy if you have got enough out of the regista in attacks.

I have achieved success with two striker less tactic, Overload 2440 with crystal palace/Real Madrid and Attacking 41230 with Tottenham. Quite good with no save loads.

- Is Counter a sensible strategy

I always use Overload or attacking. What I analyse the strength of counter to be would be the Counter phase and the control of possession afterwards.

I generally think that if you really want to maximize the output of counterattack phase, you should play a striker. A striker upfront would be better for leading counter attacks.

Counter is certainly good on providing possession. However I have never not been able to make any tactic that could dominate enough possession in 16. In 15, I use to play 14320 and can even dominate possession to 70% even against Barcelona away. I simply don't consider 60% or so of possession is enough. I just don't consider possession football is good enough in 16

- My front three work well but when watching games they are sometimes on top of each other

In attacking 41230 I play 3 shadow strikers and they never crash on to each other. I will actually say that they played quite well off the ball and scored the most goals in the league.

- I could probably change some of the defensive duties

Maybe, but I played wing back positions. However I think regista will push higher in the pitch and may not provide enough cover for defense, and DLP(S) with CM(A) will simply not do enough in defense, but it may be worthy if you have got enough out of the regista in attacks.

sounds like you have got a decent setup going on. In posession football are you playing most players in support roles?

my team shape is important on the counter and im getting some decent goals from open play, but i am being hit on the break a little too much, i know a HB would fix this somewhat but then my overall ball retention is not so good. I need a role that isnlike a regista but doesnt get too far forward, and also someone that doesnt play too risky passes too often, but a dlp has risky passing by default?

sounds like you have got a decent setup going on. In posession football are you playing most players in support roles?

my team shape is important on the counter and im getting some decent goals from open play, but i am being hit on the break a little too much, i know a HB would fix this somewhat but then my overall ball retention is not so good. I need a role that isnlike a regista but doesnt get too far forward, and also someone that doesnt play too risky passes too often, but a dlp has risky passing by default?

Half back is actually good for recycling possession, so it should rather be a defensive problem.

Anchor man and Defensive midfielder can both suit your thoughts on no risky passes and holding positions. You have to set PI for DM though.

Archived