How to train this player?

I've picked up a promising youngster in Joe Rankin-Costello. Here's his profile:

20160313101242_1.jpg

My question is how would you train and play him? I don't think he's quite right for the defensive strata, so probably somewhere and some role in M© or AM©. But he's so versatile and looks to have so much room to grow I can't really decide and would hate to waste his potential and him end up being jack of all trades but master of none.

That's a formation, not a system ;).

Start by looking at his ppms. Is that what you want him to have for when he fits into your system? If yes, then mold his attributes accordingly.

If not, you need to change them. Just think about how he is going to fit into not your system - it'll be pointless developing him as a trequartista (for example) if your system doesn't use one.

What roles do you need on your system?

If you play 4-2-3-1 maybe you are using a advanced playmaker and deep lying playmaker. I will train him to be an advanced playmaker, he's tackling and positioning are very low to be a deep lying playmaker.

Use the Roaming Playmaker role for training for the first two years(it's the best general purpose midfielder training in the game).......... then change over to a role that fits your tactical system.......the position you want him to actually play.

Use the Roaming Playmaker role for training for the first two years(it's the best general purpose midfielder training in the game).......... then change over to a role that fits your tactical system.......the position you want him to actually play.

Interesting you suggest that as I decided to start him on Roaming Playmaker, at least for the start of his career as I figured that no matter what he ends up being he needs a general boost in stats across the board.

I do tend to use an AM© as Advanced Playmaker and I'm thinking this is where he's probably going to end up, so I also agree with inacion's post. I'm not sure he's ever going to have enough defensively to thrive in central midfield.

I've never had a player like this before who's kind of like Mr General Footballer. I suppose even if he doesn't live up to his potential he'd make a cracking bench player :)

Archived