Any way to improve consistency?

I know consistency is a hidden attribute, and one of my players has "needs to become more consistent" in his assman report. How do you accomplish this? The player is only 19 years old, does it improve with time? Or tutoring?

I guess tutoring is the best, but perhaps consistency would also improve if you react badly for his poor perfomances. Fines are even better.

Find an older player who is identified as having a high level of consistency & attempt to have him tutor the young lad.

AFAIK there are no other mechanics that would see an improvement in the consistency attribute.

Are you sure about that Barside?

I've always been under the impression that tutoring doesn't affect consistency or at least if it does not by much.

As far as I've noticed over the years consistency seems to improve with time on the pitch. The first 2/3 years when a player breaks through and becomes a regular it seems to go up but then it seems to settle & stick more.

I should make that my go to thread. (Maybe not that thread, thought it was Cleon's Ajax thread.

Edit: @cougar Yes, I'm sure. That doesn't necessarily means I'm correct as it's been a few versions since I assessed that scenario & SI could have tweaked the code.

Tutoring does not have an effect Consistency and Important Matches. This was a change that was made some years back. I think one reason behind the change was that it was too easy to create super players through tutoring. So they toned down the effect tutoring could have.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to improve consistency is to give the player game time and it will just improve with time. That being said, don't expect radical changes, it's not like other attributes where a 4 can become a 20 with lots of attention. Players who are cited by coaches as being inconsistent at a young age are never going to be your Javier Zanetti's of the World. But hopefully with game time are good runs of form, they might get to the stage where it's no longer a weakness and their consistency is middle of the road.

• 2 years later...

To gain consistency you need to play a lot and you need to be young player ( under 23 ) . I've done that with 5-6 young high potential players already and i can say it is working : i know that when you see player with crazy potential you want him to play non stop for your first team so he can become Messi/Ronaldo but in reality he need to play maximum matches and without substitutions ( unless he is injured ofc )  , so i pick him in first team and put him available for under 20/reserve team and use him in matches for first team , that way he gain crazy amount of matches and in no time (depend on player , might need whole season) consistency is no longer in Cons . he will need more time to gain maximum Fairly Consistent Performer ( at least that is maximum i've seen ) . Like i said it is working 100% the problem is player need to be strong enough coz he will make ~60 matches and he will start some matches with 80 condition - finishing on 50 condition and there is a good chance he will get injures , but if he does not you will make your new Messi/Ronaldo :> at least i make few , my best is 21 years old MC valued 95mil Euro ( you can imagine what he will become at ~25 years ). Almost forgot player should be training heavy on individual he will be unhappy with training but you don't care unless he is unhappy with training overall that mean you have poor team training and you need to fix it for all players :>

p.p. And i Warn Player a lot - Criticize Training Level if there is nothing going up ofc . 

Edited by Pepchon

• 1 year later...

I played FM14 for a while lately, after not playing any FM for years.
I tried to figure out some stuff, and consistency was one of them. So I did a little tracking experiment where I looked at 50 players of various ages and consistency levels.
I check each player year by year and it seems like consistency can both improve and drop quite a bit. The worst player out of the 50 went from having 10 consistency to 5, after a few years not playing in the premier league, to giving poor performances ( 6.5 and below for a season) in lower leagues.
The player who's consistency improved the most went from an 8 to a 15. The largest amount of his consistency improvement went when he was over 28 ( from 11 to 15)
One player who started with a consistency of 11 stayed that way for the long 14 years fo his career.
In general, players who started more than 35 games for two or three years and averaged 6.85 or more improved their consistency. Out of the fifty players, only one of them had a 2 point increase in a single season, everybody else improved by 1 point. On average, the majority of the players I was tracking improved their consistency by 3. Age doesn't matter. Players in their 30s can improve consistency by 1 or 2.