Rich but Undesired... What to do?

I'm coaching Reggina, up from Italy Liga C to B and A and now back down to Liga B. The chairman has been giving me quite generous Transfer and Payroll budgets (totaling 30 million dollars per year). However, problem is that no superstar wants to join my club, often snubbing my advances. To be rich but undesired is frustrating... :-)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for suggestions. So, now I'm sitting on 27 million dollars (available payroll and transfer budgets), and it's the beginning of 2017 season.

How can I buy good players quickly? (Unattached, retiring stars?..)

How can I best use my scouts to get me some realistic names (given that no superstar will want to join at this moment)?

but Reggina aren't a big side

you've basically got to get into the top league for a sustained period (or maybe even continental qualification) for players to consider you

maybe win the italian cup? should get you a spot in the Europa for better players

alternatively, you've got to start young

just because you've been given it, doesn't mean you have to spend it

Despite the fact that you are undesirable to most players, there are in fact a select few that would still join you club that you may consider to be top talents! I managed to get promotion from the Championship to the Premier League in England and bought Memphis Depay. Just look for players are low rep clubs around the world.

I spent a few seasons in the lower leagues of Italy including Serie B and it is a ton of fun. You can pick up players (including youths) who are released or near the end of the contract from the bigger clubs and form a decent team that can challenge for promotion. I picked up over 20 released players (as well as unattached ones) this way with good attributes for the team I was managing at the time (SPAL) and finished 1st at the end of the season. Picked up older players who still had something to give too (35 y/o ST was my top scorer with 34 goals). Don't look for world-class players. Look for ones with potential and try to turn them into something. That's half the fun, at least for me. Or ones with decent attributes for their roles/position.

After promotion, some of the players ended up being sold to higher rep clubs, the very same ones they were released from. ;) Be creative.

In fact after my current stint I plan to go back to Serie B.

Archived