Proposed new feature - preferred national team

Just a thought of a possible new feature that could be useful. Right now, uncapped players with dual nationality can only be set as being 100% declared for one team or the other, or with no information on their preference leaving the game to decide. This isn't ideal for players such as Kyle Naughton. He is a dual English-Irish national, who is uncapped. In real life he hasn't said anything about only considering England, but there have been rumours in real life about him receiving an Ireland call-up which have failed to materialise despite him being arguably the second-best Irish right-back behind Seamus Coleman. In game, he therefore isn't set as declared, but then has a tendency to immediately start playing for Ireland. It'd be nice if there was a database option that would set him to only consider England at this time, but not rule out Ireland in the future - if, say, their reputation improved, he reached a certain age with no prospect of an England call-up or a manager in his favoured personnel or simply with a very high reputation took the Ireland job.

Just a thought of a possible new feature that could be useful. Right now, uncapped players with dual nationality can only be set as being 100% declared for one team or the other, or with no information on their preference leaving the game to decide. This isn't ideal for players such as Kyle Naughton. He is a dual English-Irish national, who is uncapped. In real life he hasn't said anything about only considering England, but there have been rumours in real life about him receiving an Ireland call-up which have failed to materialise despite him being arguably the second-best Irish right-back behind Seamus Coleman. In game, he therefore isn't set as declared, but then has a tendency to immediately start playing for Ireland. It'd be nice if there was a database option that would set him to only consider England at this time, but not rule out Ireland in the future - if, say, their reputation improved, he reached a certain age with no prospect of an England call-up or a manager in his favoured personnel or simply with a very high reputation took the Ireland job.

How would you base putting that option in for this particular player given you've also said that he's said nothing about which preference he has?

It technically already in the game, players often say I only consider a call up by X nation, then it's up to the other international manager to convince him to change his alliance. Some players even have I will wait for a call up before deciding and don't specify which country.

I you were his club manager and then took over one of his national side and you were one of his favourite people then, you would have more of a pull on his heart strings.

It technically already in the game, players often say I only consider a call up by X nation, then it's up to the other international manager to convince him to change his alliance. Some players even have I will wait for a call up before deciding and don't specify which country.

I you were his club manager and then took over one of his national side and you were one of his favourite people then, you would have more of a pull on his heart strings.

Exactly, it'd just be nice if this could be set in the database for certain players rather than just happening as a consequence of the in-game AI.

How would you base putting that option in for this particular player given you've also said that he's said nothing about which preference he has?

In this particular case it'd be partly guesswork - when you compare him to other Irish nationals in his positions, he'd clearly have made most of the squads for a while now had he been willing/not also eligible for England.

Exactly, it'd just be nice if this could be set in the database for certain players rather than just happening as a consequence of the in-game AI.

But why would you want it. I you plan on being manager of England then Just tick declared for nation. If you don't then just leave it upto the game. If in the game he 9 times out of 10 plays for Ireland then he obviously feels a call up to England is unlikely given the players available in front of him. On the 1 time it could have been a freaky period where all the players in front of him got injured so an England call up came.

The other thing to think of is regens how would this be implemented for them

I almost wish they were more mallable. I think they should be affected by determination, personality, etc. If there's this Irish-English regen born in Ireland who has low ambition, or even high loyalty, he should prioritize the Irish call up. On the other hand, if he does have higher determination and ambition, he should aim to get into the England squad.

and if they actually are affected by that then they should show that. I'd like a little more clarity about why they're not accepting ("John Doe rejected your callup because he feels he could make it into the English squad eventually")

(I'd also like to be able to Klinsmann some young dual nationals but I realize why that wouldn't be allowed)

Archived