The Ultimate Football Manager

I looked at the Mexican league rules - as you state, it's hard to work out how anything works in their country!!

What formation do you use, by the way??

As for Africa, as Vikeologist will probably agree, unless you manage Kaiser Chiefs, it's pretty tough!!

I've just now finished January in my second season and I think I've had a decent transfer window (time will tell...!!) and I've just played Kaiser Chiefs and got a 1-1 draw and had better stats than they did - some may say this sounds like no big deal, but Kaiser Chiefs are on a 36 match unbeaten run stretching back to last season!!

I've got ten matches left to play, so hopefully will finish the season tomorrow and provide an update

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not kidding, there's an opening season and a closing season then an opening cup and a closing cup. Its all a bit odd, but very fun although games come thick and fast!

The tactic I use is a narrow 4-2DM-1CM-2AMC-1ST works amazingly, I have always been a winger fan but thought I'd try something new and created this and it works REALLY well, creating at least 15 shots a game usually 20+.

I planned on taking on South Africa after Korea but I love Mexico so thought I'd go there first. Nice to see you got a result against the giants of South African football, looking forward to reading your update.

This challenge is brilliant. I have just read through the posts and I have to say that vikeologist's updates are nothing short of brilliant. Actually laughed out loud a couple of times.

I will be giving this challenge a go since the youth challenge isn't exactly floating my boat, though interesting it is.

Watch this space.

Platinum Stars - End Of Season 2015/16

Final Table

Transfers

Board Confidence

So, I was aiming for a top three finish this season, but had to settle for sixth - the media had predicted a sixth place finish for me, so it was probably about right.

It was also an improvement on last years 11th, so I can't be too disappointed.

Started the season well, 3 wins and a draw from my first four matches saw me achieve manager of the month (I'll provide a screenshot if required) but then after that, it was inconsistent for most of the season apart from a spell half way through where I went 7 games unbeaten.

I applied for the Guangzhou job in China as they were top of their league, but got laughed at really!! I also applied for the Ghana Under 20 national team, but again, didn't even reach an interview.

Almost had a mutiny on my hands halfway through the season when my top striker Cuthbert Malajilla announced he wanted to leave, so I let him go as he was becoming disruptive. A few players questioned my decision and as the game didn't allow me to tell them that he actually wanted to go, as opposed to me wanting to sell him, saw a few disgruntled players for a while.

However, the money from the transfer allowed me to bring in four players and added depth to my squad - although the pick of the signings was a free transfer, a central defender called Genseric Kusunga and he has proven to be a good signing as has the £30k signing Matty Pattison, a midfielder.

Actually, forget the "strength in depth" comment regarding my squad........ I could have achieved fourth place had it not been for my goalkeeper getting injured with three games to go, then my number two goalkeeper getting injured with two games to go and as my third choice goalkeeper wasn't registered (I already had 5 foreign players) it was down to my youth team goalkeeper to make his debut at the age of 17.

The result - a 5-4 defeat with the opposition only having 7 shots on target..... so thats seven shots on target and he let in FIVE goals, definitely a debut to forget!!

Next season, well a top three finish is my aim, I'd like to try and win a cup too........but then again, we may as well just give everything to Kaiser Chiefs already and let the rest of us just battle it out for runners up spots!!

Honestly, Kaiser Chiefs are so dominant, it's going to take a few seasons yet before I, or anybody, can topple them.

Still, with a few decent signings, who knows!!

Next season is going to be interesting.

I'm losing money by the bucket load each month despite being way under budget on wages.

I'm also going to overhaul the backroom staff as most of them are at the end of their contracts (well, they run out this month) so if I can get any improvements......I'm afraid there's no room for sentiment in my attempt to overhaul bloody Kaiser bloody Chiefs!!!

(Man they are beginning to annoy me.....!!!!!!)

I'm not going to try to explain Mexico. I can't. I think that the Opening Stage determines who qualifies for the Libertadores, but if you win the closing stage you're in. If you're in any continental cups, you're not in the FA Cup. this is probably all wrong, but is as close to the facts as I got in 2 seasons there. Don't try to understand it. Just be in the moment.

In my save Kaiser Chiefs didn't stay dominant. They were for about 3 seasons after I left, but then a small club won the league, and Orlando Pirates thwarted me for a long time, but have now completely collapsed and struggle to finish in the top half. The last 4 champions are Supersportn (twice), Black Aces and Amazulu. But Kaizer Chiefs have a lot of money, and that only becomes more the case if they're dominating the ACL and appearing in WCC.

The good thing about South Africa is that there are a lot of cups, and once you win one of them, you may be able to get a better job.

If you're striking out with the U20 jobs, keep a look out for the Olympic U23 jobs, as most nations need to appoint new managers when it comes up. Some U23 clubs play in other occasional tournaments. For instance Mexico U23 are in the Copa America. Just taking part in the Olympics seemed to really boost my profile.

Guangzhou are by far the biggest side in China (like Kaizer Chiefs in South Africa) so a tricky job to get. I think I've been turned down quite a few times already.

I'm still some way from completing my initial season with Dalian, as I've been busy actually moving to Dalian IRL. Let's just say there's a pretty big chance that I'm going to either win the FA Cup or get relegated, and a fairly good chance that both will happen.

I've been making excuses on this thread as the bad luck that is causing my career to fail, but there may be a simpler explanation for my bad performance. I might just be rubbish at this iteration ofn the game. However, won't it be funny if I complete the challenge not because of my ability, but in spite of it. So far there's always some sucker willing to give me another chance.

burtur - Étoile Fréjus Saint-Raphaël

EFC%20Frejus_zpsbjjelgqf.png

2014/2015

French National

Manager profile 1 | Manager profile 2 | Starting League Standings

So I have decided to take a different route through this challenge than the rest of you, namely the Marcelo Lippi route...that is, make a name for myself in Europe and then sweep the rest of the world as an eccentric old bloke.

I loaded all the leagues in Europe required to complete this challenge obviously with most of the lower leagues as well.

So there was nothing left but wait and apply for jobs like a mad man. After three interviews in England at, Cheltenham, Luton and Southend I finally got a break..in the French National league at the coveted club Étoile Fréjus Saint-Raphaël. It is a semi-professional club that hasn't won a single trophy in it's history. A fitting start I guess for a 21 year old.

I have a contract for the remainder of the season and my task is to battle bravely agains relegation and improve squad harmony. My transfer budget is 0 and my wage budget stands at 27000 pounds...which is currently being spent by the club. So yeah...this is going to be a hoot and a half.

Let the journey begin!

Burtur - It really doesn't matter to me (and there's no reason for you to restart the challenge) but it's my understanding of the original rules that you should start with a completely flat profile; ie not having extra on attack and technique coaching.

However, let's get ready to rumble (the inventor of the challenge) seems to have abandoned us. He hasn't responded to questions on this thread, or a pm that I sent him. So, I think that we can interpret absolutely everything our own way.

So, it really doesn't matter, and if you have your attributes level between the 2 sides, that might be what LGRTR meant. It doesn't give you any advantage. Once you start coaching specific areas your attributes go up accordingly anyway.

How do you have a national reputation? Does Iceland have so few people that absolutely everybody in the country has a national reputation?

So you're A Man Utd and Inter fan. If a vacancy comes up later in the game at man City or AC Milan, will you apply?

The teams I support are all fairly small (Bradford (forever), Hibs (childhood) Godoy Cruz, so there'll be no temptation to manage their main rivals (Leeds, Hearts and the other club in Mendoza, Argentina whose name I've genuinely forgotten).

However, when a vacancy came up at Colo Colo in Chile, I couldn't bear to apply for it. The thing is that the Colo Colo / Universidad de Chile rivalry is about a lot more than football. Still Colo Colo are one of the 2 big clubs in Chile, so if I do manage in that nation, that does narrow down the options. I probably won't do Chile though.

So, everybody, are there any big clubs that you will never apply to manage?

Burtur - It really doesn't matter to me (and there's no reason for you to restart the challenge) but it's my understanding of the original rules that you should start with a completely flat profile; ie not having extra on attack and technique coaching.

Fack...I did not notice this. But if (and that is a BIG if) I manage to complete this challenge, It won't be because I adjusted the initial coaching stats. I am still going to be the worst coach at almost any club and since I am off to a good start in France I can't be bothered to start over

In terms of my reputation. I have never noticed that but I guess it makes sense. The only playable leagues in Iceland are the top 2 (there are 5 tiers in reality) and if you manage in one of those two leagues your are well known within the footballing community in Iceland.

So you're A Man Utd and Inter fan. If a vacancy comes up later in the game at man City or AC Milan, will you apply?

I'm surprised you don't ask about Fjölnir or KR as well since I am a passionate Þróttur supporter :lol: But to answer your question then the only team I have never managed and will never manage in FM is Liverpool (and Fjölnir :D). I am a passionate Man Utd fan and in Iceland it is all about Man Utd vs. Liverpool. My affection for Inter is mainly due to Javier Zanetti (and now Vidic) so anything in Italy is fair game :)

I guess we don't see eye to eye in Scotland as I am a minor Hearts supporter...but that is just because one of my oldest friends used to play for them. Btw...is the Scottish 1st division now bigger than the SPL with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers? Crazy!

And a Bradford fan! They had a few good years and I remember when Scholes scored a cracker at the Vallay Parade back in the day. Name-drop warning: Back in 2000 Ian Rush hosted a football school together with my club in Iceland (Þróttur) and brought his friend Neville Southall with him. Southall was Bradford player back then and as it happened I was assigned to assist him with the GK coaching. He ended up giving me a signed Bradford shirt which I still have back home in Iceland.

Well this is taking the thread off-topic, but I was at Valley Parade for the Scholes goal. As for Southall, really he was there to be a coach. He was (I'm making a guess here) about 93 years old and well over 100 kg. Technically he was a player / coach, but he'd basically been tucking into the pies safe in the knowledge that he'd never have to actually play a game. We did after all have 3 goalkeepers ahead of him in the depth chart, 4 if you include out youth goalie.

Then one morning of a match (against arch-rivals Leeds Utd on national TV no less) our 3rd choice goalkeeper injures himself 'falling down the stairs in his bungalow'. and some old, fat bloke wanders up sheepishly to the goalposts in front of The Kop.

(The youth goalie, faced with making his league debut on national TV against our arch-rivals had changed the colour of his shorts from green to brown, and been excused on the grounds of not being able to comply with Bantam uniform code).

Of course, he'd been one of the all-time greats, so you had to ask, would he even need to be in playing condition to produce a solid performance in goal.

The answer was YES!

Yes, he would have needed to be in condition. It was not pretty. That was the only game he ever played for Bradford, but to be fair he wasn't supposed to have to play for us.

Full story (which I needed to consult for this post because I thought I might have imagined it) here

Anyway, back on topic,

Guangzhou are by far the biggest side in China (like Kaizer Chiefs in South Africa) so a tricky job to get. I think I've been turned down quite a few times already.

Well, guess what the ending of my forthcoming Season report is going to be.

So, everybody, are there any big clubs that you will never apply to manage?

For me (unlike Burtur!!) I would NEVER manage manchester united.

Ever.

I'm a City fan, have been since I was seven years old, way back in 1976. When oposing fans chant "Where were you when you were *****" the answer simply is, at Maine Road and various other grounds around the country, watching, undeniably some of the sh!ttiest, ***** football that has ever been seen!!

Trouble is, when your club is in your heart, you love them. Unconditionaly.

With City, the money changed everything, we won the lottery the day the Sheik took us over.

Now, as a traditionalist, I wrestled with my conscience. My club had now become everything I didn't like about the modern game, but what could I do??

As somebody famous once wrote, I simply had to "Roll With It"!!

The moment when Aguerooooooooooo won the league, 93:20 on May 13th 2012, is the single best moment of my life - surpassing the birth of my kids (they know this!!)

Yes money bought the success, but that moment as a Blue (and as many fans of other clubs can appreciate) well, you cannot put a price on that goal and the sheer joy it gave to so many people. As Paul Lake said, there have been people who have since passed away, but for them, the moment when Sergio scored is their last memory and, again, you cannot put a price on that.

Since then, for me, everything has changed. How can that moment ever be topped?? To pip your rivals to the title, on goal difference, with virtually the last kick of the whole season?? It will never be beaten, for me.

I now get to see City a few times a year (I now live in Norwich) but get my kicks from watching non-league football. Money isn't quite so important and you meet some real good people, travelling around the country to footballing "hotbeds" such as Eastbourne Borough, Coalville Town and North Ferriby united!!

Back on thread - I must admit, I would struggle to manage a team who plays in red (I really don't like that lot from Trafford!!)

Not saying I 100% won't, but the offer would have to be good!!

Finally, Vikeologist, as you say, the creator of this thread does seem to have disappeared - its a shame, because he has created the most enjoyable save I've played for many years!!

Oh yeah, and I managed to beat Kaiser Chiefs last night.....!!!!

Vikeologist's 2028 Dalian End of Season Report

th?id=HN.608039117581189917&pid=15.1&P=0

Dalian were a newly promoted side, back in the Super League, and predicted to finish dead last, but I didn't appreciate just how difficult it would be.

My squad looked pretty good in the assistant manager report until I signed some Ivorian players on trial and realised that by comparison my Chinese guys were absolute toss.

I signed 6 Ivorians, which is all very well, but I could only have 3 in my first eleven at any time, plus 1 on the sub's bench. All 6 came in useful throughout the season because there were so many injuries to all the key Ivorians, but it was really frustrating.

My got off to a good start, but then lost 10 league games in a row in mid-season. It didn't seem hopeless though, because in the middle of this run we were progressing (extremely comfortably for the most part) in the Chinese FA Cup.

Anyway near the end of the season it became clear that we were going to a) reach the FA Cup final (given that we had won the first leg of the semi by a country mile) and that b) we were going to be relegated as we were 5 points adrift.

However, the squad finally gelled and even though the injuries didn't abate we played extremely well in our final games. It went to the last game of the season, where we were 3 points and 2 spots ahead of the relegation places, but because matches against each other comes into play before goal difference, we still had to get at least a draw. I'm not going to pretend there was any real drama. I think we were 3-0 up very early on. We really were playing very well. One of the Ivorians was the league player of the year (+ foreign player of the year). We'd reached the FA Cup final and in my mind we were the form team. Unfortunately our opponents, Beijing the league champions, by 10 clear points, had been the form team all along and they were 3-0 up within 10 minutes. It wasn't a contest, and after finally losing 5-1, I applied for the newly vacant job at Guangzhou without even waiting for the second leg. They offered me the job immediately before the second leg, but I delayed my decision for a week, so that I could see whether we could pull off a miracle in the second leg. We couldn't. We lost 2-1, 7-2 on aggregate.

At this actual point I haven't accepted the job yet. I'm busy with African cup of Nations Qualifying, but I am leaving. Guangzhou are a mess and their squad is rubbish, but they are a sleeping giant.

wage bills Dalian 650k p/a (and I was wildly over budget)

Guangzhou 2.76 million

Beijing 11.42 million

Guangzhou really went into debt a couple of seasons ago, but still have by far the largest support. It's a gamble, because the Dalian budget for next season is on a par with Guangzhou, but the clubs are not the same unfortunately. Guangzhou is the better option.

It's worth noting that despite my constant sackings and near sackings, Dalian will be the first club side I've managed without delivering any silverware.

Season	Team			Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
14/15	Swallows(South Africa)	14th		Took over after 14 (of 30)games in 16th bottom position. Dodged relegation.
15/16	Swallows		12th		South African FA Cup winner. Continental qualification.				1 domestic cup
16/17	Swallows		3rd		Champions League qualification
17/18	Swallows		3rd	
18/19 	Swallows & Kaizer Chiefs2nd		Quit Swallows mid-season. Took over Kaiser Chiefs with 9 games of the season left
19/20	Kaizer Chiefs/ChU23	2nd		Won 2 domestic cups.
20/21	Kaizer Chiefs / China	2nd		Lost in Champions League Final on away goals
21/22	Kaizer Chiefs/China	1st		Lost in Champions league semi-final. Won 36 straight matches and East Asia Cup	1 domestic league
22/23	Kaizer Chiefs/ China	n/a		Won African Champions League. Humiliated nation of China.			African Champions League
2023	Seoul			1st		Won South Korean League								2nd domestic league
2024	Seoul / Brazil U23	3rd		Won FA Cup									2nd domestic cup
2025	Cruz Azul		9th		Won FA Cup (Opening Stage). Then I was sacked.					3rd domestic cup
2026	Chivas			2nd		Manager for one match. Lost title in extra time of 2nd leg of league final.
26/27	Chivas /Ivory Coast	6th/1st		Won NACL. Lost Closing stage final of Mexican 1st Div (again)			NACL
27	Chivas / Ivory Coast	5th		Lost in Opening Stage semi-final and resigned after CWC Q/F
28	Dalian / Ivory Coast	11th		Lost in FA Cup Final

Incidentally, ivory coast have qualified for the ACoNations with a game to spare. I don't really spend much time on them. I pretty much just let me Ass Man pick the squad, and then try to work around his aversion to calling up any wingers.

2018/19 - Apertura

I decided due to how complex and LONG the Mexican season is I'd break my report into two halves, The Apertura has bee unreal to be honest, The first game was the Mexican Super Cup (I believe I got into it due to winning the Clausura season cup last season) I played against the Mexican Promotion League team that won the Apertura Cup. I beat them comfortably 4-2 on aggregate to add more Silverware to my cabinet.

With that out of the way I had the Apertura League and the Apertura Season Cup to contend, in the league I was truly on fire ending the season having played 17, winning 13 and Drawing 4. I also hammered the cup, I had the odd draw but wo the cup with relative ease. I the played the Apertura Season Championship Playoffs which I won to grant me the title of Champion! I ended the opening season having played 34 competitive games, drawing 6 winning 28 and losing none!!!

I'm really impressed with how my team has taken to my tactic and they create tonnes of chances. So just a short one but I won the Super Cup, Apertura League and the Apertura Season Cup.

My key players have been, Denis, my Brazilian AMC getting 15 goals and 7 assists in 22 games, Mexican Jorge Espericueta, who is IMMENSE, who scored 10 and assisted 13 from the MC position and my goalkeeper Nahuel Guzman conceding only 18 in 34.

Having read this, I've got to try it.

I've never done one of these before, so i'll probably fail, but Vikeologist's level of detail and determination for this challenge has inspired me to give it a go. Definitely keep it up.

I'll load up the South African and Asian leagues and post my profile soon.

Don't stop believing in Journey!

burtur's 2014/15 end of season report

Étoile Fréjus Saint-Raphaël - French National

League Table | Positional Graph | Run In

If I'm honest I was never really excited for this team. It is a club that was founded in 2009, semi-professional, never won anything with rubbish facilities and the financial muscle of Greece. So I always looked at this job as really short-term job, that is not renewing my contract at the end of the season.

I took the reigns 16 games into the season. We were second to bottom after the team had just lost it's 5th game on the trot, including a shock cup loss against minnows Moulinoise. I didn't spend much time fiddling with the training and since I had absolutely no maneuverability in the transfer market it was a case of applying the tactics, picking the team and see where that took us. To be fair, the squad wasn't all that bad, the team was projected to end up in the 10th place so we definitely had potential.

I was lucky, I had a fairly easy start. My first two games were against teams in the relegation zone which we edged 0-2 and 2-1. Then the Christmas break dawned upon us with an away game against the top team waiting at the beginning of the new year. We lost that match 3-5 quite unfairly but recovered quickly and went on an immense run winning no less than 12 out of the next 13 games, only losing out to Bastia who ended up winning the league. This ridiculous run, without a doubt one of my best ever runs, had lifted us to the 4th spot below Red Star only on aggregate results between the teams and only three points behind Paris. Two games to go.

In the penultimate game we played mid-table SAS Espinal at home while Red Star played away against another mid-table team, Amiens. Paris hosted relegation strugglers US Colomiers. We scored early in our game and although we dominated the match we couldn't add to the scoreline. 1-0 win though - three points. Our run was now 15 wins in 17 games. Other results turned our way with Paris drawing at home and Red Star losing their game. We were now in a promotion spot within distance of the runner-up spot.

A draw in the final game against in-form Le-Poire-sur-Vie would secure promotion. Could we throw it away after all that? Well we certainly tried. We gave away a penalty in the first half which resulted in us trailing at half time and with Red Star thrashing their game we had to find a goal. Fortunately we got a break, scoring directly from a free kick in the '53 minute secured us a draw and an unexpected promotion.

After all that I was still thinking of leaving the club. The finances were in shambles and I wasn't keen on managing a semi-pro team. However, the board threw me a curve-ball. They have decided to go professional, expand the stadium, they expanded the scouting network and on top of that gave me a war chest of £650k and doubled the wage budget. My reputation is still only regional in France so I decided to take up their offer of a 1-year extension, hoping for a decent season in France's second league and enhancing my reputation in the process. What a season 2014/15 was....roll on 2015/16!

Managerial career - clubs

Season           Club                League        Pos       DC1         DC2      Continental        Other
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  EFC Fréjus St. Raphaël  French National   3rd    7th round      n/a          n/a             n/a           

Landmarks

[b]France:[/b]
[i]French National[/i]
Third place (1)   2015 (EFC Fréjus St. Raphaël)

The journey so far:

Prologue

Predator - Welcome to the challenge, you'll have a ball....I'm sure!!

Arbee - Well done, great season in the madness that seems to be Mexico!!

Burtur - Great season in France!! Promotion is always good, but it's impressive that your board share your ambition. Good luck next season!!

Vikeologist - Well it seems like you are the person we all aspire to be!! It is your passion for this thread that has got alot of people (including me) interested in this excellent challenge.

As stated, unfortunately it seems that the originator, Letsgetreadyto has deserted the challenge he created.....which is a shame. So, in my humble opinion, as long as everyone agrees and as long as Vikeologist is happy to do so, I reckon any queries we all have along the way, we should run by him??

If not, it isn't a problem, but as in other challenges (such as Gundos or Dafuge's) it's good to have an "overseeing eye" so to speak, when anybody is unsure of anything.

I mean, personally, I need to know if winning the Super 8 Cup in South Africa constitutes as a domestic trophy, or does it need to be the South African FA Cup??!!

3L1G - Thanks for the 'nomination'.

I'd like to think that we can reach a consensus about any issues like that, or that people can just make clear how they're interpreting the rules.

Personally, I don't think the Super8 Cup counts, because it's only open to the top 8 teams, and when LGRTR said cups should be open to top division sides, I think he meant all top division sides. therefore the SA FA Cup and the other cup that all the top division sides take part in should count. there's nothing in the initial guidance that suggests it has to be necessarily the most auspicious cup in each nation. I think though that we should have to win cups from 10 different countries.

Ashton321 interpreted the rules differently, and that's fine.

The thing is that with so many different nations, there's going to be anomalies. For instance the Mexican FA Cup isn't open to all top division sides. if you're in the Libertadores or NACL you don't take part. This is how I won the cup with Chivas. There weren't any really good teams in it. However, it is the only domestic cup in Mexico, so I am counting it towards the challenge. If you disagree with this let me know. I would have made it more clear at the time, but to be honest, I didn't realise. I thought I'd managed to avoid any really tough matches, and then the second half of the season I thought there was a bug in the game that wasn't entering me.

So Arbee, unless you won the cup in the Apertura (when you say the cup I'm not sure if you meant the cup or the playoff at the end of the league) you probably never will now because you're too good to even be in it. (By the way, well done. I'll be interested to see if you're in both of the continental cups. You've certainly qualified (in multiple ways) for both of them. I was just never sure if clubs could be in both of them).

Basically what I'm saying is that I think we should all do the challenge according to our interpretation of the rules. If someone thinks that the super8 cup in SA should count, then as long as they make it clear in their posts that's how they're interpreting the challenge, then fine.

If someone claimed that they'd achieved the challenge because they'd won the South African league 5 times (+ the 5 euro leagues etc) and won 10 South African cups including the be a coach challenge, I don't think that would be in the spirit of the challenge. I wouldn't correct them though. I'd probably just ignore them.

Let's treat the guidance from LGRTR as scripture, and we are his Church, because you know, half of what Churches teach has a tenuous link at best to the actual scriptures. I'm happy to pastor, but I don't think I should be The Pope.

3L1G - Thanks for the 'nomination'.

I'd like to think that we can reach a consensus about any issues like that, or that people can just make clear how they're interpreting the rules.The thing is that with so many different nations, there's going to be anomalies. For instance the Mexican FA Cup isn't open to all top division sides. if you're in the Libertadores or NACL you don't take part. This is how I won the cup with Chivas. There weren't any really good teams in it. However, it is the only domestic cup in Mexico, so I am counting it towards the challenge. If you disagree with this let me know. I would have made it more clear at the time, but to be honest, I didn't realise. I thought I'd managed to avoid any really tough matches, and then the second half of the season I thought there was a bug in the game that wasn't entering me.

So Arbee, unless you won the cup in the Apertura (when you say the cup I'm not sure if you meant the cup or the playoff at the end of the league) you probably never will now because you're too good to even be in it. (By the way, well done. I'll be interested to see if you're in both of the continental cups. You've certainly qualified (in multiple ways) for both of them. I was just never sure if clubs could be in both of them).

Hey Vike, on the first point I certainly feel like this is your thread TBH for sure, you're the leader but like you say i'm sure we can come to a concensus.

In response to your Mexican cup comments I agree with you, I think it counts. I have won the Clausura Season cup which appeared to grant me entry into the Super Cup, I won the Apertura Season Cup which I presume also gives me access to the Super Cup, I also won the Clausura Season Cup again ( I will detail in my update later) But I don't know what will happen next season with continental cups (I know I am in the NACL but not sure about the Copa Libertadores yet)

Clausura 2018/19 - Tigres

I preface this post by saying I plan on adding more detail to my posts from next season.

I started the season I a great mood having gone 34 games unbeaten in the opening season, I signed 2 Brazilians, a striker Thiago Ribeiro and a Centre Back Drausio, I also signed a Mexican Javier Guemez. These were signed at the beginning of the season so they should have been included in the last report but I forgot. The Brazilians were signed on free transfers and Guemez cost £2.7 Million, He was a great signing and really contributed a lot to the season.

The closing season started with a comfortable win over Chivas in which my star goalkeeper was injured, and I made the mistake of not having a backup so had to play a 16 year old in the next two games. I lost my first game in 35 competitive games 1-0 to Toluca despite having 34 shots (16 on target) to their 2 shots (2 on target) I was gutted to have the run end. I drew the next game 1-1 with Pachuca. My goalkeeper came back and I went unbeaten for the rest of the season resulting in winning the Closing Season Cup and the Closing Season League. I won in the playoffs despite losing in the second leg of the final 2-1 due to my 3-1 victory away in the first leg. So 11 Draws/ 2 Losses and 53 wins. A truly incredible season underlined by the fact my Goalkeeper, Full back, Centre Back, Defensive Midfielder and Attacking Midfielder won the player of the year awards in their positions. Denis won Rookie of the year and I won Manager of the Year but most importantly I won the Mexican First Division!

Next season if I understand correctly should have me playing in both the North American Champions League and the Copa Libertadores, Although I'm not sure. I am definitely in the NACL as I have already had the draw but I don't know about the Copa Libertadores yet.

Profile 1

Profile 2

Profile 3

Job Offer

Santos FC

220px-Santos_(RSA)_logo.svg.png

Only took a few days in game, which surprised me as from reading everyone else's post I expected it to take a few months, but I got a job with Santos FC, in South Africa's second division. They're expected to finish 4th, and the team looks decent, as well as being given a decent transfer and wage budget, so I think I might be able to push on for promotion. I've never managed in a country outside of Europe (I know, i'm a noob), so i'm not sure how it will go, but this challenge is definitely worth a shot.

Vikeologist - Well it seems like you are the person we all aspire to be!! It is your passion for this thread that has got alot of people (including me) interested in this excellent challenge.

As stated, unfortunately it seems that the originator, Letsgetreadyto has deserted the challenge he created.....which is a shame. So, in my humble opinion, as long as everyone agrees and as long as Vikeologist is happy to do so, I reckon any queries we all have along the way, we should run by him??

If not, it isn't a problem, but as in other challenges (such as Gundos or Dafuge's) it's good to have an "overseeing eye" so to speak, when anybody is unsure of anything.

I mean, personally, I need to know if winning the Super 8 Cup in South Africa constitutes as a domestic trophy, or does it need to be the South African FA Cup??!!

ThreeLions1Goal - I definitely agree with this, as I am probably going to need a lot of guidance on this challenge, and Vikeologist definitely seems like the guy to turn to. Also, thanks for the welcome.

What is people's opinions on multiple CL's with one team? The reason I'm asking is because I think I might have qualified for both the North American Champions League and the Copa Libertadores (Still not sure yet) I'm leaning towards having to only win the NACL with a Mexican team and win the Copa with a South American Team as that would make more sense but what do you guys think?

Predator Scare - Santos has some good players, I started a game with them earlier in the year as I'd never managed in South Africa. They're a fun team to be so I look forward to your updates :D

ArBee23 - Thanks, from what I've played with them so far they seem decent. However, the lack of any proper DL or DR's means that I am playing with three at the back, which is not how I usually like to play. But I soppuse I should get used to stuff like this. With the CL's, its hard enough as it is winning them, so my personal opinion is that its fine to do them with one club. That's what I would do anyway, unless Vikeologist thinks any differently.

The reason Mexico is such a good place to manage is because it gives you the option of doubling up on the Champions leagues, and I definitely feel that's ok.

I was never in the Libertadores, because I was always rubbish or sacked. This is why getting confirmation that Arbee23's in both CLs at once is so important for the information of everybody else playing the challenge. The CLs start at different times, but if you get to the end stages they'll definitely overlap. The fact that's he's not in the CL yet isn't a concern. My guess is that the first thing he did to qualify for it was the Mexican Super Cup, but it would be quite a long time afterwards before he would be entered, because it's right at the start of a season, and you're entered into the CL in the following season.

I like it for that reason but in the back of my mind I don't think I like it for this particular challenge. I chose this challenge due to the variance and I think I will personally aim to win the Copa Libertadores with a South American team. I will of course let you know if I do get entered into the Copa Libertadores as I haven't yet but I am into the Quarter Finals of the NACL.

Well since the forum starter has left us and so there's nobody to say whether it's right or wrong, it's down to your personal choice and, through picking the harder option, I must salute you.

Vikeologist - As I have never made it anywhere close to as far in a save as you have, I was wondering it would not be too much trouble for you to check the English PL for any abnormalities. I personally hoping that my beloved MK Dons have made it that far, and that the scum that is Spurs (sorry any spuds fans) has been relegated. Cheers.

Nothing really surprising is going on in the Eng Prem, but then again I don't have it loaded and it's only been about 14 seasons. Spurs and MK Dons are in the same place I think. Aberdeen are in the Scottish Championship, but then again the Championship is the New Scottish Premier League.

I agree with vikeologist. Totally OK to win two CL's with one team and that the cup competition must include all top division teams. Furthermore I think that for exemple winning the FA cup and the League Cup in England should count as two cups even though it's definitely more impressive to win a cup in each country :)

Vikeologist - ​Cheers mate.

Just a quick question though, is the SA FA Cup that you've been referring to called the Nedbank Cup, or have I just not qualified for it. Thanks

The Nedbank wasn't there when I had the league loaded. Maybe it's from the latest update, but from the Wikipedia description it sounds like what was called the FA Cup before. There's another cup that should be eligible (SA Knockout Cup) but only top league sides are entered. Maybe not all second division sides are entered. I'm not sure they are IRL either.

Vikeologist - Cheers. I have to get through a preliminary round before reaching the first round where the top division teams come in, so I guess that it has just been renamed, as it seems just like the FA Cup.

Predator - Yes, the SA FA Cup is named the Nedbank Cup.

Incidentally one more point regarding cups in South Africa - I agree (despite winning it!!) that the Super 8 Cup shouldn't be included as one of the cups required towards the challenge.

I've had a couple of days away from FM - now going to get back to it, although I've come to the conclusion that I may need to manage either Orlando Pirates, Sundown or Kaiser Chiefs to achieve anything in this country.

The five foreign player rule makes it difficult as all the good South African players are either at Kaiser Chiefs or abroad and with the transfer budget I have at Platinum Stars, it's almost impossible to compete.......although I'll keep trying!

Platinum Stars End Of Season 2016/2017

League Table

End Of Season Confidence

Transfers

So, the media predicted us to finish 6th, which is where we finished the previous season. As you can see, it was a disappointing 9th.

I've no idea where it went wrong really, just a culmination of bad form and injuries all at once, in the middle of the season which took a while to recover from.

Yet it all started so well

I even won a pot!!

In the other cups I lost in the Semi-Final of the knockout cup to a last minute penalty in extra time - I wasn't a happy bunny.

In the South African FA Cup, lost in the semi-Final to Wits. This after managing to beat Kaiser Chiefs in a previous round.

As I stated in a previous post, it seems to be the 5 foreign players rule that I struggle with. The South African players - well, the good ones - either play abroad and cost way beyond my transfer budget, or they play at Kaiser Chiefs and they have no intention of leaving them to come and play for us.

My thinking is to sign 5 real good foreigners and make them the spine of my team. I've got a good centre back and a good midfielder who are foreign, so I'm aiming to get another midfielder and either 2 forwards or one forward and one defender.........if I'm allowed to continue that is.

At the end of the season, the board requested a meeting as they were disappointed in my league campaign. I told them about the injuries the team had suffered, but they were not having any of it. So, I asked them what it would take to keep my job and they've responded with "a minimum of 8 points from the next 5 games".......even though there are no games left!! (unless they mean next season.)

As it happened, Supersport then sacked their manager, so I applied for the job and I've just now finished the interview.

Going to be an interesting summer............!!

Don't stop believing in Journey!

burtur's 2015/16 end of season report

Étoile Fréjus Saint-Raphaël - Ligue 2

League Table | Positional Graph

In the 2014/15 season we enjoyed one of my best ever runs in football manager. Having achieved promotion quite unexpectedly I knew we needed some serious strengthening, and that we did. I got rid of some expensive deadwood and signed some proper talent. I fully utilized the loan market and strengthened just about every area of the squad.

With the signings we made and the confidence we had from last season I was fairly optimistic for the season ahead and thought maybe that a mid-table finish wasn't far fetched. As i turned out, I was right. We had a great pre-season and started quite nicely winning two, drawing one and losing one out of the first 4 games. A pattern that more or less continued until mid November and saw us in contention for one of the top 3 spots.

In mid November we went on a great run, winning ten and drawing one in all competitions. The run helped us to the top of the league and even though we struggled with injuries and never really went on a good run again, we cemented our place at the top and never looked back. Back-to-back promotions and the clubs first title was a reality and my first manager of the year award as well. Not to shabby for a team that was made 2000-1 favorites at the start of the season

We had decent cup runs, lucky runs to be hones in the sense that we were drawn against lower league teams and then got two lottery tickets, drawing Marseille away and PSG away in the league cup and fa cup respectively. Se we exceeded expectations and managed to cash in in the process. Another positive was that we lost only by one goal in these games and really held our own against the two giants.

After the season ended there were four positions available in the top league, Lens, Lyon, Toulouse and Lorient. Since my current club had only offered me a wage budget of 60k for the coming season and those teams spending upwards of 6 times that in wages I decided to apply for all four positions. A move that my board was not happy about, even though they hadn't even offered me a new contract. The gave me an ultimatum, told me to apologize or else I would possibly be fired. I told them the could shove that apology up where the sun doesn't shine and as it turned out, they didn't have the guts to fire me. Anyway, I was considered for all positions, except for the Lyon one, but didn't get any of them so it looks like it will be a third season for Étoile Fréjus Saint-Raphaël with me at the helm

Anyway, as it turns out the Ligue 1 rules state that each team must have a stadium with a minimum seating capacity of 17000. Completely ridiculous if you ask me, especially for my club who only get around 3000 fans on a good day. So again the board is expanding the stadium.

Managerial career - clubs

Season           Club                League        Pos       DC1         DC2      Continental        Other
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  EFC Fréjus St. Raphaël  French National   3rd    7th round      n/a          n/a             n/a
2015/16  EFC Fréjus St. Raphaël      Ligue 2       1st   11th round   3rd round       n/a             n/a           

Landmarks

[b]France:[/b]
[i]French National[/i]
Third place (1)   2015 (EFC Fréjus St. Raphaël)
[i]Ligue 2[/i]
Winner (1)   2016 (EFC Fréjus St. Raphaël)

The journey so far:

Prologue

Season 2014/15

2 years waiting for the African Cup of Nations. (Ivory coast weren't going to win the World Cup). We finished top of our group (although we did lose a game) but then lost to Senegal in the quarter final, and was sacked. 2 years down the drain. I was hoping that South Africa would screw the pooch, and their manager would get sacked so that I could apply to step in for the upcoming Confederations Cup, but they won the ACON (again).

So I've applied for and obtained the post of Egypt manager.

Burtur - I didn't realise that you'd set yourself the challenge of having to be promoted twice. Still congrats on reaching the top flight. A pity about not getting any of the jobs that you had interviews for. It does seem to be much harder to get a job when you're employed elsewhere, because clubs don't want to pay the compensation. Mind you, I have just managed to do exactly that for the first time when Guangzhou paid up for me to Dalian. Also, there was one time in my save when a prospective club gave that as the reason for offering the job to someone else, so if they didn't explicitly cite it, maybe that wasn't the reason.

Did the clubs that turned you down not give a reason?

I've said before that, when you honestly feel you've hit a ceiling with your present club, an option is to quit and see what else you can get. being out of a job is scary in real life, but in the game not so much.

3L1G - Although KC and OP are the big 2, if you can get the job with Supersport, that might definitely set you up. A factor will be how many continental spots South Africa has. This can change radically. At first SA only had 1 team in each of the competitions, but by the time I left the nation, we usually had 6 as long as a South African team won both the continental cups, and by that point there wasn't much point other clubs in the continent turning up for the matches.

You mention the 5 foreigners rule. Is that just over 21s. I think I always had quite a few foreign youth players, although I did nearly lose a top player when he hit 21 and I couldn't fit him into my league squad. However, that was when we were in the Champions league, of which there were quite a few games.

Again, if you've hit a ceiling, maybe quit Platinum stars anyway. They do mean 8 points from the first 5 games of next season. I don't like putting in all the effort in the off-season in the knowledge that I might be sacked just 3 games into the next season.

It is difficult to leave a club though. I wonder what would have happened if I'd stayed with Swallows / Dalian.

Chivas and Cruz Azul have continued to sack managers more often than they change their socks, although to be fair, their smelly feet were one of the reasons I was glad to get out of Mexico.

PS - Hopefully you'll be in the top flight soon as well and ready to be screwed over by an ungrateful board like the rest of us.

Vikeologist's Sacked Challenge (get sacked by 50 clubs or nations) progress - 4

vikeologist: Thanks. To be honest I am a bit surprised by how well it is going. I am using tactics I developed in the youth challenge and it seems to work wonders with teams which are considered underdogs. Regarding those jobs, I wasn't interviewed for any of them they just stated that they were considering me for the job, so I wasn't given an explanation. I think it is just a reputation thing because I had only 6 weeks left on my contract so I doubt it is a compensation thing. I think if I manage to keep the side in Ligue 1 (which I am quite confident I will do), then I'm sure I'll be considered for the fairly big clubs. Toulouse, Rennais, Bordeaux, Saint-Étienne etc.

Oh and good luck with Egypt!

3L1G: I think you are right. The spine is the most important thing in the team. Centre backs and the goalie are the positions i always consider as the most important and in my experience usually the easiest to get good quality players in. Hope you get that Superstars job...they sound like a more feasible club!

2014/2015 Season Review - Santos F.C

predator_scare

220px-Santos_(RSA)_logo.svg.png

Note: This post will not contain much information about the 2015/2016 season. I will complete that as a separate Season Preview post, once I have finished my pre-season games.

Considering I was predicted to finish 6th, it was a great season overall, with 'The People's Team' comfortably Winning The League, and thus securing promotion.

Having taken over the team, I noticed the complete lack of any DL's or DR's, causing me to play a 3-5-2 formation for the first time in a save for me. However, this came as a benefit in the league, because I was able to comfortably dominate the midfield and so I found that I was creating lots of chances, even if I did lack something defensively. In terms of tactics, I decided to focus play down the middle (due to a lack of wide men), while playing a high-tempo passing game. This led to some smooth football, and occasionally some very nice build up play for goals. In the SA FA Cup, we exceeded expectations, and made it to the quarter-final where we were knocked out by Platinum Stars, having already beaten a top-division side.

Competitions/League Table

Fixtures/Results

Notable Results:

6-2 Home vs Milano United: A very comfortable win against the team who finished second in the league, especially considering we were behind after only 4 minutes. We dominated the game, with one of our strikers managing to grab himself a hat-trick.

5-2 Home vs Ga-Rankuwa United: A boring first-half, where no goals were scored, led to a very exciting 7-goal second half which we comfortably controlled.

e2-0 Away vs Bloemfontein Celtic: Although not a high scoring cup tie, the team showed great control and composure to defend against a higher division team, which to be fair, dominated the game. 2 goals in two minutes from my super-sub striker, late in the game meant that my team could sit back and defend comfortably on our way into the next round. I should also point out, that we were without our top goal scorer, as he was on loan from B-Celtic, and so was ineligible.

8-1 Away vs Vasco CT: Fresh from securing the title, the team were in very high spirits for the final game of the season, and the other team was destroyed under their power, with one player grabbing 5 goals throughout the whole 90 mins.

Transfers

Squad

Notable Players:

Gabadhino Mhango: On loan from Bloemfontein Celtic, he was our top goalscorer with 20 goals in the league. However, despite being good enough to play in the top division, I will not be attempting to bring him back permanently. This is mainly due to the fact of his shocking form in the second half of the season. He had a great first half, grabbing 17-18 of his goals during this period, but failed to make any sort of impact in the the second half, despite starting most games.

Mpho Sitayitayi: The second top goalscorer, and the man leading in the assists chart, really stepped up when Mhango started to disappoint. His great creativity meant that he constantly created chances, and he still has potential to develop further. Also, he was the player who grabbed the five goals in the final game of the season.

Tonic Shabalala: A very solid DC who I picked up on a free at the start of the season. He consistently performed well, and also chipped in with a few goals and the odd assisst too, which is always nice.

Carl Lark: I can't not mention Carl, my awesome super-sub. He didn't play much, as his ability is not great, but he has good potential so I tried to give him lots of sub appearances, from which he almost always scored. He saved me on many an occasion, and for that reason, he has to get a mention.

I don't expect to spend too long with Santos before moving on, but I have to say, I am going to find it very hard to leave my now favourite team outside of Europe.

-Season preview to follow soon.

predator_scare

Managerial Career

[TABLE=class: grid]

[TR]

[TD]Season[/TD]

[TD]Team (Country)[/TD]

[TD]League (Tier)[/TD]

[TD]Position[/TD]

[TD]Cup 1[/TD]

[TD]Cup 2[/TD]

[TD]Continental[/TD]

[TD]Other[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2014/2015[/TD]

[TD]Santos F.C (South Africa)[/TD]

[TD]National First Division (2nd Tier)[/TD]

[TD]1st[/TD]

[TD]Quarter-Final[/TD]

[TD]N/A[/TD]

[TD]N/A[/TD]

[TD]Champions and Promotion[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Trophy Cabinet

[TR]

[TD]Season[/TD]

[TD]Club (Country)[/TD]

[TD]Trophy[/TD]

[TD]Type[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2014/2015[/TD]

[TD]Santos F.C (South Africa)[/TD]

[TD]National First Division Title[/TD]

[TD]League (2nd Tier)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Challenge Progress

[TR]

[TD]Season[/TD]

[TD]Progress[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2014/2015[/TD]

[TD]None[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You mention the 5 foreigners rule. Is that just over 21s.

Vikeologist - oooooohhh that sounds interesting!! I'm going to see if that rule applies to Under 21 players.

Incidentally, I was unsuccessful in my Supersports application, they appointed the manager of FC Stars, leaving a vacancy there. So I applied for that.

Incidentally, I was unsuccessful in my FS Stars application, I can't remember who they appointed. But then, Kaiser Chiefs sacked their manager. So I applied for that.

Incidentally I was unsuccessful in my......you know the rest!!!

Managed to get interviews at all three clubs, but never mind. Oh yeah, I've also been given an ultimatum by my board that I mustn't apply for any more jobs and I've had to apologise.

Burtur - congratulations on promotion. Good season you had there.

Predator - congratulations on your promotion, welome to the "Lets all play for second place while Kaiser Chiefs win the title every season" Division!!

Vikeologist - congratulations on your parallel challenge of attempting to get sacked 50 times!! 4 is very impressive!!!

In all seriousness guys - how enjoyable is this challenge?? It's great ain't it!!

3L1G - Thanks, I know I'm in for a challenge. Surprisingly though, Kaiser Chiefs did not have a season to remember really. Having finished 5th, and being knocked out the ACL early, they were very disappointing. A positive of this is however, that their manager's job status is labelled as V.Insecure meaning that (although unlikely) I may have a chance of getting the job if he's sacked. I'd be stupid not to apply if the opportunity does come around.

Vikeologist - Good luck with Egypt. They won the ACON in my save, so they definitely have the ability. However, with you being so far into a save they're probably all regens, so I can't really comment.

Burtur - Well done with promotion! Have to say you definitely deserved those jobs with two consecutive promotions. If you don't get a good one by the end of the season, my advice would be to load up England, and try to get a Championship team promoted if you can't already get a premier. This would result in a massive reputation boost because of the reputation of the premiership, allowing you to definitely be in with a chance of a better job. Your choice though.On a completely unrelated note, it is my duty as an Arsenal fan to say thank you for developing Welbeck for us. What a great player he is.

2-1 !!!!!!

LOL!

Yeah. Welbz is a great player and what a cracking game of football it was. Not to disheartened to be honest, this season is all about rebuilding and getting to the Champions League which I truly believe we will manage. Oh and by the way. Thanks for developing RVP for us, he is not bad :lol:

But back on topic. I have England, Spain, Italy, France and Germany all loaded so I've got my eyes open :D

Pre-season is off to a flyer though. I have to say that the board of this club is pretty awesome when it comes to the infrastructure off the club. Not only can I now scout players anywhere, I can really have as much staff I can dream off...and that without me asking. Furthermore, we are now about upgrade the training and youth facilities so it looks alright here to be honest. I do however agree that it was weird that I didn't at least get an interview...

Tigres UANL - Apertura & Clausura - 2019/2020

g3sjlQr.png?1

I have been away all weekend and just had chance to do an update.

Pre Season

I signed three players in the pre season, all Brazilian. A backup goalkeeper called Farley. A DM/MC called Otavio and a striker named Gustavo Adebayor (Cool name eh?)

This is the first season I have been able to get friendlies against big clubs and make some money, I had pre season matches against Bayern Muich, Schalke, Dortmund and Manchester United. I lost by one goal to both Bayern and Schalke, I beat Dortmund 3-2 and got hammered by Man Utd 5-0.

Opening Stage (Apertura)

Oddly despite doing so well the previous year the only expectation was to reach the championship quarter final for this stage, I exceeded that comfortably by retaining my Apertura stage championship. I went the whole of this season unbeaten until the second to last game of the season where I lost to Pumas 1-0. I had some great results in this stage including a 4-1 hammering of our closest competitor America. I finished top of the league which sadly means nothing as the top 8 go into the championship playoff. I defeated Santos Laguna in the QF, Chivas in the SF and then came up against America in the final I lost the first leg 3-1 and was worried I'd thrown it all away. I sent my boys out there and they won 5-0 to give me a 6-3 aggregate win and the Opening Stage Championship.

Closing Stage (Clausura)

This season started strangely as I was giving away points too often, I won 3 and drew 3 of my first 6 games all three draws were me giving away leads, Later on I lost 2 in a row which ended any hope of finishing top and I had to settle for 3rd place. That gave me a place in the playoffs where I beat Chivas in the QF, UDEG in the SF and lost without even really giving Santos Laguna much of a challenge I the second leg 5-3 on aggregate. Disappointing ot to win it again but Santos outplayed my boys ad I couldn't get near then in the away leg.

North American Champions League

I started in the group stages and this was really not challenging as I was playing against one team from Haiti and Saprissa from Costa Rica, I beat the Haitian team Valencia, 5-1 and 4-0 while beating Saprissa 4-0 and 2-1. The quarter finals brought what I thought would be a challenge in DC United from the MLS, I brushed them aside 6-2 on aggregate next up were Pumas from my league who were doing very poorly in the league in 17th position. I hammered them 7-2 on aggregate to put me into the final against LA Galaxy of the MLS. The away leg was challenging ending 0-0 putting all the pressure o me at home to win and win I did, 3-0.

Star Players

AMC - Jorge Espericueta - 18 goals and 12 assists with an avg rating of 7.37

MC - Javier Guemez - 17 Goals, 17 assists with an avg rating of 7.45

ST - Star Signing Gustavo Adebayor - 26 goals, 21 assists with an avg rating of 7.56

What's Next?

Having achieved everything I wanted to in Mexico I decided to resign after the end of the season. Within 4 days I had not one but two job offers from Brazil, Cruzeiro and Fluminense. With Fluminense playing at the Maracana I HAD to choose them. So there it is I'm now the manager of Fluminense.

Achievements - 
Korean FA Cup - 2016 & 2017
Korean K League - 2017
Asian Champions League - 2017
Mexican Cup Closing Stage - 2018 & 2019
Mexican Cup Opening Stage - 2018
Mexican Super Cup - 2018
Mexican First Division Closing Stage - 2019
Mexican First Division Opening Stage - 2020
North American Champions League - 2020

JBC - Don't give up. That's the great thing about this challenge. Being sacked can be as much an opportunity as a setback. Jobs are like women. There'll be another one along in a minute, who you'll give absolutely everything to, laying bear your hopes and dreams, and then your devotion will be heartlessly thrown back in your face. But the point is. There's plenty more.

Arbee - Congrats on continuing to do this challenge (unlike me) the classic or traditional way; winning games. You're now just a domestic cup behind me. :eek: Actually, depending on how you interpret the challenge rules, maybe you're level with me. Anyway, you've done incredibly well, especially given that you've achieved success with relatively smaller clubs. (I'm doing the opposite; achieving mediocrity with big clubs). But now you're at a big club. Do you feel the weight of expectation weighing down on you?

Arbee - Congrats on continuing to do this challenge the classic or traditional way; winning games. You're now just a domestic cup behind me. :eek: Actually, depending on how you interpret the challenge rules, maybe you're level with me. Anyway, you've done incredibly well, especially given that you've achieved success with relatively smaller clubs. (I'm doing the opposite; achieving mediocrity with big clubs). But now you're at a big club. Do you feel the weight of expectation weighing down on you?

It's so much fun with Fluminense, they were champions the year before and sacked their manager for losing in the semi final of the state championship league and then losing 3 out of 6 games in the league, so I am definitely under pressure as it looks like they're fast with their judgements. I'll be doing an end of season breakdown shortly as I have just finished the season in Brazil. (I was about 75% of the way through before I went away for the weekend)

Loving this challenge

Sacked

But it was my own fault - I forgot about the ultimatum of 8 points from 5 games!!

I got 6 points from the first five games - 1 win, 3 draws and a defeat, but the opposition I'd played, I wasn't unhappy with the start.

So, thank you Platinum Stars, it's been emotional....!!!

So, it was down to applying for jobs again.

Applied for a couple in China, but no avail, one in Mexico, again no joy and two in South Africa.

Maritsburg laughed me off, Amazulu granted me an interview.

And this was the result

So, it's midway through January, Amazulu are languishing in 12th position and I've 20 days of a transfer window left - I've not even looked at my squad yet, just came here to post my situation.

Can't wait for the match vs Platinum Stars though......I'll show that chairman!!

Noticeably, this challenge seems to be gathering momentum......good luck to all us newbies and the seasoned pro that is Vikeologist!!!!

Jomo Cosmos 2014/2015 Season Review

JomoCosmosLogo_250.jpg

Transfers

Wasn't at all happy with the defence in pre season, ended up brining in an entire new backline and a pair of loanee's from Kaiser Chiefs, I ended up opting for a 5-2-1-2 formation.

Competion Review

Champions

We started off like a house on fire, picking up 15 wins from 19 league games, establishing an 11 point lead at one point and seemingly cruising, of course these things are never easy and we had some what of a wobble going into the final 10 games, dropping points galore and losing silly games to struggling teams, our rivals Thanda Royal Zulu and Milano United got within 3 points, before a final push in the last three games to secure the title with a game to spare. Crashed out of the SA Cup in the first round. The only negative aspect of the season was our inability to finish chances, we really lacked a clinical finisher in the team, with our top scorer Madodo Motha finishing the season on 12 league goals.

Key Players

Lindani Ntamo - AMC - Missed a good chunk of the season through injury, but managed to score 10 times in 19 games, averaging 7.01

Bamuza Sono - MC - Veteran 35 year old, assisting in 12 goals and chipping in with 6 goals himself, averaging 7.33

Thabiso Ntloana - DR - Attacking fullback, assisting in 7 goals, averaging 7.20

Closing Comments

I'm now just holding out for the managerial departures in the top league, Orlando Pirates are currently very insecure, so I may have to throw my hat into the ring for that hopefully they don't laugh at my CV like Kaiser Chiefs did when I applied mid way through the first season :o

I just want to say that seeing guys like Arbee23 and vikeologist doing so well is definately spurring me on with this challenge and commiserations to those sacked, stick at it and come back stronger, show them ex chairmen what for! :thup:

Archived