Do 'The Media' Learn

Every time I am asked to comment on transfer speculation I chose to respond by selecting No Comment.

3 Years as Manager of Club Brugge the Belgian press still ask me about my potential signings and whether my star striker is off to Anderlecht? Would be nice to see the Media react and mould their approach around your responses. Maybe even alter the wording on the question..

"Mr Whittington, I know you are hesitant to comment on transfer speculation but can you confirm for us this evening if you've received bids for Lestienne from Anderlecht?"

It's not a perfect solution but after 3 years of not commenting on transfer speculation, its getting a bit ...Irritating.

With Peace.

Xx

Well, it's not like they don't do that in real life.

I have a similar problem with my stupid players, every time an agent asks for a new contract (after other clubs show interest in them), I have them fired by the player. I've done that a zillion times, yet they're still asking. Dumb idiots :D

They tidied press conferences up quite a bit and made them more relevant, finally removed crap like "who will win WPOTY, Conference North manager?", then coded in a question of "how important have player x's performances been to club y's success this season?"

I don't even understand that one. Would have loved to see Fergie in the lead up to the Manchester derby last season get asked "how important have Steven Fletcher's performances been to Sunderland this season?"

They tidied press conferences up quite a bit and made them more relevant, finally removed crap like "who will win WPOTY, Conference North manager?", then coded in a question of "how important have player x's performances been to club y's success this season?"

I don't even understand that one. Would have loved to see Fergie in the lead up to the Manchester derby last season get asked "how important have Steven Fletcher's performances been to Sunderland this season?"

I still get asked about other teams players?

The club doesn't even have to be performing well either

I got asked: "How have Giroud's performances been to Arsenal this season" and the same question with Arteta

Arsenal were sitting around 10th at the time, I really couldn't care less

The only change I've noticed with the journalists is they tend to dislike you over time if you don't answer their questions. In FM10 I refused to answer questions about other teams weakness for 10 seasons, as I always got asked who from my team would counter the threat which lead to the other players filling the same role being insulted. In the end almost all the journalists hated me.

Now I just give non-inflamatory answers to anything I don't care about, and the journalists love me. General rule: If you don't care to read the question, chose the answer in the middle, except when asked how a manager or player of another team is doing, then chose second from the top. Noone cares about those answers either way. :p

Rather than the press learning not to ask certain questions (which I would love so I agree with you in your thoughts), They could ask them in a manner which reflects your personality. Example: 'I know you don't like to discuss transfers, but could you give any indication of how your search for a new striker is going?'. This would be tailored towards expecting a 'no comment'. Just a daft thing though because you'd still have to answer the bloody question.

It's the fault of the press not SI. God I really don't like the press.

Archived