The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I now know what it feels like to be David Moyes. Started the season with AS Monaco. Added F9 and DC to my line up and the preseason went ok. However, I went winless through my first 9 or 10 league games. It's now early November and I've almost been sacked once already. Just managed a win to move up to 17th position. Now that the team is almost completely fluid with the tactic, I'm hoping it will go better. I've also got Honda coming in on Jan 1 if I can make it that long. Ugh

Perhaps my team is turning the corner. We've won 3 in a row and are 5-1-1 in their last 7. Slowing climbing out of the cellar. Dreadnaught, complete fluidity and focus on defensive set pieces may be the trick.

OK first things first a huge thankyou Mr Rosler for this tactic !!!!!!

I say this as i had completely given up on this game after trying and failing for 2 months to get a tactic to work. I have played these games for as long as i can remember (20 years or so ) and have always managed to be succesful with my own way of doing things, this time however no such luck i have tried 4-2-3-1 4-4-2 and even a 3 at the back all failing miserably so as i said i had stopped playing untill 5 days ago. i decided to try again this time starting unemployed and decided to come and find a tactic here that i could start with and look to tinker with, after reading every page of this thread i though why not lets give it a go and how pleased i am that i did because youve made me enjoy this game again and that is amazing cos i hated it.....

So now for the really amazing part i got the Bristol city job 24/10/2013 and the success using your tactic is simply immense..

2 consecutive promotions first through the play-offs and then automatic promotion to the English premier league which i am about to start...

ScreenShot2014-01-21at171710.png

ScreenShot2014-01-21at171619.png

I would list transfers but it would be an extremely long list but highlights include Larnell Cole (man utd) loan Frimpong (arsenal) free Fletcher (Man utd)free Defoe (spurs) free....

Not looking forward to the premier league cos my team is not in any way good enough

ScreenShot2014-01-21at172558.png

Lets see how it goes and i will be back with an update when i get to xmas (ish)

Another great example how S&S can win you games that you really should lose.

Like i mentioned earlier, this year Frigg is playing in EURO cup for the first time.

On third round we got Hannover 96 as opponent.

If you would just compare player wages, you could say that Hannover would win easily. They had highest player salary 68k€ per week, lowest 6000€ per week.

Most players earning between 25k€ and 68k€.

Then looking at Frigg

Highest salary 3300€ per week, lowest 500€ per week and wage total of 41,5k€.

First game at home, playing S&S the whole match. Result Frigg won 1-0.

Away game, again playing S&S the whole match. Result 2-2 after extra time.

So, with S&S we knocked out a team that we really had no business winning :D

edit:

The central defender i posted earlier, has proven to be an excellent addition to the team.

Because of his pace+acceleration, he does perfect job as the cover defender, but on top of that, he regularly scores headers from corners.

Just bagged two goals when we won Rapid Wien and advanced to EURO cup group stage :)

Well changing the set-pieces defending has done wonders !

Been playing Rainmaker only since then.

9 games in the league, 8 won - 1 drawn - goal conceded = 2 / Both came vs Juve in a 5-2 thrashing !

Actually somehow crashed out of the CL group stages, had a pretty tough group with Tottenham, Barcelona and Olympiakos - But the way I lost it was worse, played a DOMINATING game vs Olympiakos at home for the 4th game of the group. Tottenham had thrashed the group with 12 points already and safe. Me and Barca both on 4 points and Olympiakos at 2.

I lose the game at home with a direct FK goal from them that deflects of my keeper. After that loss and Barca stealing the win at the 88th minute vs Tottenham I could only make 3rd so I decided to throw the last game in the group to not get stuck with EL and just focus on winning the domestic double.

Update on my saga with Rimini (see posts #537, #566 and #623).

So, after two back2back promotions from C2 -> C1 -> B, I arrived in Serie B with a media prediction of 22nd (last).

Final result: 1st (8 points ahead of Sampdoria).

I am really delighted. I struggled a little bit in the beginning, scoring 1 pt in the first 3 matches, but then things started to come around as I reinforced the team with some free transfers (plenty of good FA talent in Italy).

In my First XI, four players are within the First XI ever since the C2 days.

As always, my basis is S&S14.2 (WITHOUT RETAIN POSSESSION). Every now and then I used rainmaker to run after a result, or to try to break some parked buses. But in general SS_WRP worked very well being favourite or not. In the second semester, I have put together a 24-match unbeaten run.

Honestly, Rosler, for the lower levels, nothing needs to be tweaked here (except removing RetPos ;) ). Also, I am still using the default defending corner routine. Of my 41 goals conceded in the season, 9 were from corners, 17 from corners+DFK+IFK.

I will change for the routing shown above in posts above next season. However, what are you guys doing in terms of which positions do the 'mark tall players', 'go back', etc? I think it is benefitial to have the STs come back instead of staying forward. They usually have a good combination of jumping+heading.

There I go, Serie A!

I´ve been using Rainmaker (been away from FM for 3 weeks) and with my team in home and away games this is what I´ve seen:

-When I win with 3 or more goals score I always sufer a goal in which most of the times is due to defenders errors (you see this happen in real life but not as much as I see in my save)

-When I win with 2 or 1 goal i never conced a goal!

-When I draw or lose it is always in a hard-fought game

I´m happy with this tactic because it has gave me 3 champs in 5 years! Also because in majority of the games you dominate the opponent.

PS: Yes I have a very good team but it doesn´t compare to teams like Barça, Real and City)

Quick update on what's happening.

Good to see both rainmaker and S&S going strong.

I have a flat 433 working very well, The striker set up is a Complete Foward/Support centrally with Complete Forward/Attack either side.

I was intending to put up a few screenshots but my daughter spilt water on my keyboard so half the keys aren't working and I'm stuck on my mobile.

A few people have requested a 3 striker set up and it's something that interests me.

The plan was for a very high scoring tactic, during testing I have stumbled on something which has delivered 15 wins on a row from the start of the season. Scoring about. 2.2 goals per game whilst conceding 0.3.

I was aiming for 3 goals a game so it falls short of this however what I like is rather than smashing teams 5 nil then not scoring the next game then winning 4 - 0 which is the problem I'm finding with high scoring tactics, THIS tactic is scoring 2 or 3 goals a game every game, like clockwork. This is very useful indeed.

If that pattern continues we have a real winner on our hands,

I havea few more ideas for my 3 goals a game tactic which I'm testing. In any event it looks like I have a real winner waiting in the wings anyway.....

So I finished the season with Roma the one I've been talking about. And I thought I'd do a little summary.

I started using Fulcrum S&S in the middle of the 1st season. Then being 8th and I think something like 10 pts. off a CL place finish which I aimed for. I used it for the rest of the season, just the S&S and never made a single change, just like Rosler suggested. And this was new to me as usually when I was playing with my own tactics I was changing a lot of instructions when either scoring or conceding. Mind you I play FMC so fluidity isn't much of an issue.

Well 1st season with the tactic went pretty good, I went on a huge run to begin with. Winning 9 out of 10 games, then came 3 defeats in a row, then 4 winners, 2 defeats followed by all winners. I ended up 4th. Point off 3rd spot and that was due to the 2 latter losses came at a crucial point and I lost the fight mostly at that point.

2nd season and I found out about the Rainmaker. Mind you in the summer I did some business clearing out wingers I had and reinforcing positions that needed, bringing in the likes of Balanta, Mitrovic and Maher. All very young players and my starting 11 was pretty young.

I managed to get 2nd that season, switching between the two formations looking at opponents and such. Playing Rainmaker home and vs worse teams and S&S away vs the big teams and even Juve at home. Still I was happy - I qualified for the CL and had a young squad that if I held onto all of them I could play most of them for 6+ seasons.

3rd season started some what rocky. I was again switching between formations somewhat and trying to find the mix. I started noticing how I was conceding, and it was almost always set pieces, be it FK's in the box or CK's - even penalties. So I came here, found a new defensive routine and set off. Decided to start using Rainmaker a bit more and the results just flew in. Even though I had pretty much **** the bed in CL and the 2 games I had left after the changes also where lost - 1 of them vs Olympiakos with their only shot being a wonder FK that deflected of my GK to go in and me having 25 shots. In the second game I just lost almost on purpose to get out of playing the EL. I just wanted to go on with the league as I was on a sick run, I had only conceded twice in 10 games and that was in the same game vs Juve in a 5-2 thrashing! Long story short I took the league in the 33 game with a 15 point lead on 2nd place Napoli. I managed to win the rest of the games except for a draw in the last game and ended up as a huge winner.

Now in the summer I've been trying to do similar to what Uwe said in his post somewhere. I'm trying to have cover for each position and the cover is adept to playing the exact role I want him to. I have a somewhat small squad but It's getting better. At one point I was a bit scared, having 19 players in my squad and there I had 3 players I wanted to play the CM/A spot, so I even decided on selling one of them. But I ended up with a squad of 23 players and look forward to the season. Looking to get a great league form going right away to try and have my CL run and still have the league solid thru the season !

Never thought playing someone else tactic would be so fun.

Never thought playing someone else tactic would be so fun.

Indeed! Normaly I like to play with my tactics. I only have used other tactics in two FM´s. 2014 with Mr U Rosler tactics and CM 01/02 a 3-5-2 that worked like a charm (can´t remember the name of the person who create it).

Eventhough I play Fm 2014 with tactics that aren´t mine, I´m really enjoing the game and a part of that is because of Mr U Rosler...so a big thanks to you!

Cheers

Here you go......... a quick preview

Rosler, when you mentioned you were working on a 3ST tactic, I wanted to comment this, but was waiting for more info. Now that you have shown the setup....no F9 in there?

I ask this because one of the most "beautiful" aspects of what I have been observing in S&S14.2 (without retain possession) is the involvement of the F9. He comes deep to help in the midfield marking, feeds many assists to the CF as he is always positioned diagonally for that, when the teams moves upfield he enters the area to score his own goals, etc. A complete role!

It could be because of the guy I am using at this level (Francesco Nicastro - a retrained AML), but it would be great to have this figure.

I understand your central CF/S would do that role but...have you tried with a F9? Just curious here. :) I would like to help you with massive tests, but as usual, I don't have much playing time available.

Rosler, when you mentioned you were working on a 3ST tactic, I wanted to comment this, but was waiting for more info. Now that you have shown the setup....no F9 in there?

I ask this because one of the most "beautiful" aspects of what I have been observing in S&S14.2 (without retain possession) is the involvement of the F9. He comes deep to help in the midfield marking, feeds many assists to the CF as he is always positioned diagonally for that, when the teams moves upfield he enters the area to score his own goals, etc. A complete role!

It could be because of the guy I am using at this level (Francesco Nicastro - a retrained AML), but it would be great to have this figure.

I understand your central CF/S would do that role but...have you tried with a F9? Just curious here. :) I would like to help you with massive tests, but as usual, I don't have much playing time available.

Yeah, to be honest I've found all of the deep lying forward roles perform pretty much the same. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an F9 and a Defensive Forward in game.

I do like the F9, I'll run with it for the rest of the test and if all is good keep him in.

A deep striker with 2 advanced strikers running either side of him means he has great passing options.

This is good :) I actually have 6 strikers at the moment (although it seems that at least 2 are always injured). Will be looking forward to this.

Meanwhile, here is current EURO cup with Frigg. So far all games played with S&S.

wcx5.jpg

We have played draw at home with Ajax, won Dinamo and Genk away. Genk match was really lucky though, they controlled most of the match, but we scraped 2-3 win :D

Actually, could do with some feedback on this one.

One for the regulars.

Mindstar Rising

https://www.mediafire.com/?wfu7z77cnhmj40m

Let me know what you think :brock:

Excellent, i will put the team training this immediately and as soon as they are fluid enough, i will give it a go.

This timing is perfect as i am almost at the end of season, so i will get to test this on the upcoming season.

Actually, could do with some feedback on this one.

One for the regulars.

Mindstar Rising

This would not be suitable for underdogs, right? I understand this is the evolution of Rainmaker, more appropriate for top5 teams in the league.

This would not be suitable for underdogs, right? I understand this is the evolution of Rainmaker, more appropriate for top5 teams in the league.

Seems to work ok for underdogs also, at least based on one match :D

I decided to give it a go, as it was fluid enough already, because of training S&S and Rainmaker for years.

We played EURO cup match against Genk, a match that we were supposed to lose.

2-2 draw, so not a win, but draw any way. I think it was a good result with a tactic that is not fluid yet and against a much stronger opponent.

I will try it next against more familiar opponent, when we play Norwegian Cup Final against Molde. Interesting to see how that plays out :)

edit:

One more note.

Their second goal was a really stupid one :D

Long shot hit the upright (as they often do), but this time it bounced right to my defender. And of course from the defender it bounced towards goal and slowly slid in (keeper had jumped to the other direction for the longshot).

Not tested yet (will do). i have a feeling it would go well with underdog. its more silk & steel than rainmaker.

Ok, just had a relaxing sauna and after that was time for the Norwegian Cup Final.

Like i promised, I took the risk a decided to play with this new 3 striker tactic.

One thing giving doubts before the match was that the EURO cup match against Genk was just two days before this cup final, so many of my key players were not in 100% shape. Actually had to leave a few usual starters as substitutes, because they had under 90% condition.

So, how did it go?

Like this:

mpf6.jpg

So, second year in a row, Frigg won the Norwegian Cup. Last year with S&S and this year with Mindstar Rising :)

edit:

We even missed a penalty, when the game was 1-0. Same guy who missed it, scored from a direct free kick about 5 minutes later :D

Ok, just had a relaxing sauna and after that was time for the Norwegian Cup Final.

Like i promised, I took the risk a decided to play with this new 3 striker tactic.

One thing giving doubts before the match was that the EURO cup match against Genk was just two days before this cup final, so many of my key players were not in 100% shape. Actually had to leave a few usual starters as substitutes, because they had under 90% condition.

So, how did it go?

Like this:

mpf6.jpg

So, second year in a row, Frigg won the Norwegian Cup. Last year with S&S and this year with Mindstar Rising :)

edit:

We even missed a penalty, when the game was 1-0. Same guy who missed it, scored from a direct free kick about 5 minutes later :D

Käytätkö mitä match training?

Käytätkö mitä match training?

Jos taktiikat on fluid, niin def set pieces normaalisti. Joskus myös attack movement.

In English: My match training is usually def set pieces, sometimes attack movement.

Another match using 3 strikers.

We have already finished the Norwegian season, but we still have EURO cup matches to play. So, i booked a couple of friendlies to keep my team match fit.

The first friendly was even match against Rosenborg (draw), but in the second one i decided to see what happens when the newly crowned Norwegian champions play against low level team using Mr U Rosler's new tactic.

This happens:x3u0.jpg

edit:

Lokomotiv Moscow wanted to hire me.

Frigg is currently paying me 1000€ per week. They would have payed 10k€. I rejected :D

Reason for that?

I just got Frigg to Champions League for next season, so i want to see if we make it to group stage or fail miserably.

@ MTM1977: It would be helpful if you could included 'Long Shots' and 'Half Chances' to your match stats as it gives a better overview of the quality of shots you had. 33 shots is good but there's a difference between 33 shots with 20 from long range and 33 shots with only 5-10 from long range.

However, 7 CCC indicates that the quality of shots seems to be quite good (at least against crap opponents).

@ MTM1977: It would be helpful if you could included 'Long Shots' and 'Half Chances' to your match stats as it gives a better overview of the quality of shots you had. 33 shots is good but there's a difference between 33 shots with 20 from long range and 33 shots with only 5-10 from long range.

However, 7 CCC indicates that the quality of shots seems to be quite good (at least against crap opponents).

Here is the match report with long shots, blocked shots and half chances.

niit.jpg

Still, that doesn't say much, because the opponent was so much weaker.

hey uwe dont you think that both wide strikers seem to tend to make same runs? as i have noticed mind you i am using in lower leagues players not as intelligent as chelsea players mostly when middle striker drops in space and plays ball through or when you have an attaking throw in

After two EURO cup matches i have decided that the 3 striker tactic is not suitable for my team. At least not against strong teams.

I lost to Ajax 3-2. It doesn't sound bad, but could have been much worse.

Next game against Dinamo, i started with the 3 striker tactic again. On 2nd minute Dinamo scored, so i changed to Rainmaker. We were able to score twice and at that point i changed to S&S.

We were able to hold the lead and almost scored a third goal.

My conclusion is that against stronger teams, the 3 striker tactic is not strong enough defensively. Probably different if you have equal team, but as huge underdogs it just doesn't work.

My Chelsea season with 'Mindstar Rising' turned out to be a run of the mill season, which for Chelsea means 2 cups and finishing 2nd in the league to Man U by 1 point.

The 22 wins straight off the bat lead me to believe the tactic was superior to Rainmaker and silk & steel but it turned out to deliver very similar and possibly slightly weaker results.

I must have just got on a 'mega' roll, been lucky in the 50/50 match ups and kept the great run going.

Certainly a viable tactic if you insist on 3 strikers but not an upgrade over what i've already put out in my opinion.

OK so they say no ME tweaks in 14.2.2? They tweaked something alright :))

I don't know what it is, but I can't buy a goal at the moment. SS or rain maker. 1-1's forever...

Also, taking forever to achieve fluidity to the tactic. 18 games in the new savegame (12 friendlies, 5 league, 1 cup match), and still 60-65% fluid...

Why could that be? Are some teams harder to become fluid due to club philosophies (visibly 0 preference either way right now)

And even though I have a relatively good squad I can't measure whether it's the combination of players that doesn't work or whether it's just a matter of not being fluid in the tactic? I will report back further down the season to tell you.

On the matter of 3CF, why not two supporting strikers and 1 pinnacle attacker? I try sometimes a SS on AMC position with two roaming attacker upfront. That is something else altogether.

I've been frustrated with the game lately, which only makes me play more. Better ask for an extension on... everything else.

having been using new tactic since last night it seems not good for lower league teams as seem to concede very easy compare to rainmaker ans s&s so were do you go from her mr rosler start again or tweak

I'd go back to Rainmaker & S&S.

I cant seem to better my 4132 formations.

I might revisit Rainmaker & S&S and just add a little bit of polish, tweak one or 2 bits, refine the set pieces etc, explore the roles and key attributes a bit more and then leave it at that.

Between them S&S and Rainmaker seem to have most situations covered and there has been a lot of success in the thread to back that up.

OK so they say no ME tweaks in 14.2.2? They tweaked something alright :))

I don't know what it is, but I can't buy a goal at the moment. SS or rain maker. 1-1's forever...

Also, taking forever to achieve fluidity to the tactic. 18 games in the new savegame (12 friendlies, 5 league, 1 cup match), and still 60-65% fluid...

Why could that be? Are some teams harder to become fluid due to club philosophies (visibly 0 preference either way right now)

And even though I have a relatively good squad I can't measure whether it's the combination of players that doesn't work or whether it's just a matter of not being fluid in the tactic? I will report back further down the season to tell you.

On the matter of 3CF, why not two supporting strikers and 1 pinnacle attacker? I try sometimes a SS on AMC position with two roaming attacker upfront. That is something else altogether.

I've been frustrated with the game lately, which only makes me play more. Better ask for an extension on... everything else.

Season 1 fluidity takes ages. Better from season 2 onwards.

Why not 2 support and 1 attack striker? Well it was one or the other. Had I done that someone would have asked why not 1 support 2 attack ? :lol: I just went for the more direct/attacking version.

In terms of not scoring, its a tricky one that, seems to be dependent on striker form/confidence. once they get one they often get on a run. All you can do is stick with it. Of course full fluidity helps.

Had I done that someone would have asked why not 1 support 2 attack ? :lol: I just went for the more direct/attacking version.

Exactly, I would've done so. :) Because I try to understand why you pick one over the other. Sorry to disturb the delicate genius (a la George Costanza) :lol:

I'll keep grinding this out.

Also, what do you think about CFs man-marking DRL. It's sort of crazy but does tend to shutdown opposition, I also like the fact that they move to the sides more, making diagonal fwd runs in transition. Now, I couldn't get anything out of it yet, but do you think there is potential there?

Now, it's none of my business but are you only testing with Chelsea now? I know that there are many in this thread from all sorts of levels, including me, but I wonder if you could find out more if you played with lesser teams, perhaps solving something more universal at the end?

Thx for the quick replies btw, cheers

Exactly, I would've done so. :) Because I try to understand why you pick one over the other. Sorry to disturb the delicate genius (a la George Costanza) :lol:

I'll keep grinding this out.

Also, what do you think about CFs man-marking DRL. It's sort of crazy but does tend to shutdown opposition, I also like the fact that they move to the sides more, making diagonal fwd runs in transition. Now, I couldn't get anything out of it yet, but do you think there is potential there?

Now, it's none of my business but are you only testing with Chelsea now? I know that there are many in this thread from all sorts of levels, including me, but I wonder if you could find out more if you played with lesser teams, perhaps solving something more universal at the end?

Thx for the quick replies btw, cheers

I normally develop my tactics with Stockport moving thru the divisions from non league. Thats how i ended up with silk & steel which is an underdog tactic.

Then a few people said it wasnt working with 'big teams' who regularly encounter parked defences. So i used Chelsea to develop Rainmaker for stronger teams.

Then I got used to the Chelsea squad and found it was very easy to 'benchmark' results.

A good solid tactic with Chelsea will deliver the following.

Between 82 - 85 League Points

Between 76 - 85 League Goals scored

A goal difference of between +50 - +60

I have about 10 tactics who have hit that range.

I dont have any who have delivered better than that i.e 90+ points or 90+ goals.

When/if i do i will know I have a winner.

The plan would be to then try that tactic with a low rep team and 'reverse engineer' it to suit a low team as well.

Which Dinamo ? Kiev,Minsk,??

haa Zagreb

Yes, that one :)

I will continue using S&S, Rainmaker and Rainmaker B. I have noticed that Rainmaker B works better if you are a clear favorite, for example playing a cup match against lower division team. Also, in my team i have a couple of midfielders who are also very good as AM, so nice to play them at that spot from time to time.

Personally i like having "only" two strikers, so i have no problem continuing with the good and proven tactics.

Actually, earlier i was mainly playing with one striker tactics, so this is already an upgrade for my striker department :)

After testing half a season with Southampton (again) and FC Bayern I conclude that 'Mindstar Rising' is not an upgrade over 'Rainmaker' or SS. For now I'll continue to use Rainmaker & SS, depending on opponents.

@ Uwe: Is the 'Liberator' project (the one with the HB) dead?

I think Rainmaker is a solid overall tactic which can get you very far. SS is a very good defensive tactic. What we still need is an attacking tactic which will score a lot of goals (which goes along with the risk of conceding more of course) to put in when you're dominating but struggling to score or when you're a goal down late.

Archived