Dealing with promotions

I play a lot of careers starting in lower leagues with the plan of rising to the top. When I get promoted at the end of the season I usually 'hire a new team', selling most of my previous players because they're not good enough and hiring players suitable for the new league. This often adds up to as many as 15 new players. Obviously all the cohesion is gone and the struggle starts.

How do you guys deal with it? Do you keep your old players, hiring only a select few good ones and planning an average season and glory the next? Or risk pulling a 'QPR' and go for a win or die strategy. I recently read in a cleon article (like everyone else:D) where he played with a league one team and wrote that his game starts when he gets to premiership, implying quick back to back promotions. Ofcourse his tactical skills and whatnot play a big part but theres only so much you can do with a stick against a sword (even if its a gas powered stick).

So what do you guys do?

Honestly if you're team is good enough to get promoted then I'd say the majority of the time, it's good enough to scrap for survival in the division up. Of course you will need to get rid of the players who clearly aren't good enough and replace them with players more than capable at the higher level, but I try not to rip away what got me promoted in the first place.

What Karnage has said really.

Your main players should be good enough so you lose a few of your backup/reserve players who didn't get many games at the lower level and replace them with guys who can start at the higher level. I usually make in the region of 3-5 signings with this in mind and then the main aim of the season is not be relegated, anything extra is a bonus. Add another 3-5 players the next season and you should be in a position to challenge towards the top.

I've had to hang on to some players who really aren't "first team" capable just so I have the 4 "club-grown" players necessary to play Champions, but I've got a 22-year-old I brought up from 2 levels down who although is rated at 2 stars ability, is a rock of the defense and the highest average score for the team. He doesn't eat much in salary, doesn't complain that the team's not good enough for his skills, and he's always willing to tutor the younglings. I'm keeping him until he retires, and if the game allowed it, he would someday marry my daughter.

And really, I feel bad when I have to cut loose anyone who got me to the top, so I hang onto most of them and send them out on loan.

I generally develop players with four to five star potential so I often keep a large part of my team unless I get promoted a second time (and just let them continue to develop). I do usually replace a player or two, but I find most players don't wish to join my team. No matter how much my reputation grows, I am often incapable of signing any well established, good players. I cannot even get into contract negotiations with them. I find this especially odd when they are in the league below me.

Archived