FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

Ok, so I had to start a new game. The first game, I started losing from the beginning because I thought I'll skip all the friendly matches (only had 4 which I put Pat Rice incharge of). The team hadnt gelled yet and they were terrible at the start of the league.

Started again, and I set-up a few more friendly matches. 9 in total, out of which I've already played 8, won 6, lost 1 and drawn 1. Have only conceded 2 goals in total and scored 21. So quite happy with that.

My ins so far:

Michael Owen - £9.75M

Maxi Rodriguez - £4.3 (plus 8M over 12mnths and 3M after 50 games (which will not happen in the demo!))

My outs so far:

None. Got an offer of 3.6M for Denilson but thats a little less. Holding out for about 4.5M. Song is on the list. I think I'll get 3.7M for him. Flamini can go too. As can Hoyte and Fabianski. I wont need any of these guys until Jan so no point keeping them. I probably wont be selling Denilson, Fabianski and possibly Flamini (if they improve him again to reflect what he's been doing on the pitch recently).

I'm in desperate need of a CB as cover. LB is fine with Gallas and Clichy. RB is fine with Eboue and Sagna and Toure if needed. CB is a major concern. Sergey Ignashevich chose Palermo instead of me sadly. He'd have been a good back-up.

The midfield, with the addition of Rodriguez will now be fine. Again, in the full game, I wont be buying him as I'll develop Diaby more. I'll probably buy some 15-19 year olds to develop though. In the full game, I'll probably sell Hleb as he's been brought down from the last one.

The strike force is pretty good. But I'll get Owen in again in the full game because I think I'll need one guy who can finish well. RVP seems to hit the ball miles away most of the time. I'll sell Adebayor because he starts crying as soon as Owen comes. I tried to get Adriano but they wont let him go for less than 15M in my game at the start. After 3 or so days, they start asking for 20+M sadly.

When the season starts my formation is probably going to be:

Lehmann

Eboue Toure Gallas Clichy

Gilberto

Rodriguez Fabregas Rosicky

RVP Owen

The midfield I'll have to play around with a bit. I wont put Rosicky and Rodriguez on the wings though. All 3 of them in the centre of the park. Now either I'll put all 3 as CM's or leave Cesc as a CM and put the other as CAM's. Or maybe just Maxi alone as a CAM. I'll have to see about that. I dont think playing Hleb is a wise idea because (unlike in real life) likes to take too many shots and seeing as he's terrible at finishing, that just screws up my chances more often than not.

Walcott seems really good in this game. I have to concur that people with speed have a more telling effect in this game. You MUST keep him on the bench whenever you play because he really is a super-sub. His keeps getting by his man, and when they are a little tired, its even better.

My first impressions of the game though, havent been great. I prefer 07 so far but maybe its because I know I can only play half a season right now on the 08!

Now heres something I really need help on. My major gripe on FM07 was that when you put you defenders to man-mark someone, if that player changed his position from say CF to RM or something and some other CF took his place instead, many a time the game engine either account for it and my defender was "man marking" but to nobody in particular. Or if that wasnt the case, then if the player changed positions, my defender still kept marking him even if he was RM and that way it left a big hole in the centre of my defence. It was worst in the case of RB, LB and DM. Sometimes the two opposition wingers swapped their positions and then my RB was still marking the guy on the other side etc etc. It became ridiculous when my players were all out of position. I'm not sure if that still persists in 08 because I havent been in that position yet, but if it does, can someone help out with it???

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know what's wrong with van Persie in the game, he's missing a lot of sitters, and I mean a lot. His stats seems almost of no relevant to his performance. He can't cut it as a striker, than I put him on the wing and he usually just fade into no man land being isolated more often than not.

Dont worry about RVP. His morale is really low at the start. Once he starts to feel happy, he'll start scoring well. He misses a lot of sitters, but he does he score some screamers as well. If you cant seem to involve him much in the game, put him up as a striker and give him a free role. I've done that and put him to take long shots often. He still misses quite a bit but gets some great goals.

I'd definitely recommend everyone playing as Arsenal to put Hleb on long shots as "rarely". The guy is terrible at it. And he tries to take too many of them.

Guest steffenularsen

hrmpf ..... as with 07 I cannot make my wingers do anything sensible. They only create huge holes for Chelsea to barge through, and not creating nearly enough to balance that. So next game start I´ll offload Hleb and look around for an extra MC with top passing and teamwork/workrate.

I try to play three MCs whenever possible, a bit wide or it gets too constricted.

Yeah, and I too can´t resist Julio Baptista. A fine and rather cheap striker is Palacio of Boca.

But I fear for Arsenal in real life when they meet the really strong teams.

van Persie is effectively a bench warmer now, the fans are very concern about his performance and has ask me to remove him from the first team or at least the starting XI. I recommend Ivan Alonso as a striker, he's pretty much a must buy at the start of the game due to our poor strikers.

Glad to see others having the same trouble with strikers as me! Yes RVP scores some screamers, but his shots to goals ratio is really poor, and he misses far too many easier chances, and manages to turn easy chances (does he ever run at the keeper?) into hard ones by taking first time shots. Hey theincrediblehulk, how did you manage to get van der vaart for 7m? Thats awesome. He was my favourite midfielder on 07 and I plan on signing hime straight away in the full game. Trying in teh demo at the moment, but Hamburg are being very erratic with their demands (from 15 up to 32mil!)

Well for the demo, you could just use the trick of offering the clause, 'after X of league game', set to 40M after 50 league games, since it's a demo we won't get to that much and it's a good chance to see how the player turn out to be before we get them in the full game

Originally posted by dzstone:

Glad to see others having the same trouble with strikers as me! Yes RVP scores some screamers, but his shots to goals ratio is really poor, and he misses far too many easier chances, and manages to turn easy chances (does he ever run at the keeper?) into hard ones by taking first time shots. Hey theincrediblehulk, how did you manage to get van der vaart for 7m? Thats awesome. He was my favourite midfielder on 07 and I plan on signing hime straight away in the full game. Trying in teh demo at the moment, but Hamburg are being very erratic with their demands (from 15 up to 32mil!)

That was my first game. Yes, he can be expensive at times because in the next when I tried to get him, he wasnt going for less that 15M I think. The first time I got him, I basically scouted him first and then I got one of those media rumor things where they asked me if I was after VDV. I replied "he's one of the players I'm looking at" and a day or so later, a news item claiming "VDV looking for move away" flashed up. I decided to bid on him then and they let him go for 7.5M + 15% sell on clause + 1M after 30 league goals (not sure if it was 30, might have been more!). Try to unsettle him in your game. Even in FM07, I found he was pretty easy to unsettle.

As for trying to see how he turns out, dont bother. He's brilliant any way you look at it.

I tend to use the demos to work out how much I can sell particlar players for and pick up new arrivals.

In the demo both Flamini and Senderos are asking for outrageous appearance fees of around £12k, so both have been listed. No buyers for Flamin and only £4.5m for Senderos was a bit poor.

Has anyone managed to eirther offload these two players or have them accept reasonable contract extensions.

I managed to sell Gilberto to Sevilla for £10m, which I thought was a good bit a business but it does leave me a bit short for cover in the centre of defence.

I noticed that the coach report suggests that Song will be a better player than Cesc!

Originally posted by tecni:

Well just joking, check the coach judging PA, Pat Rice often give me inaccurate report too, got to check it with a scout of mine with 19 for judging PA.

Gills Grimandi has the best judging current/future potential of you're current staff and says he's going to be a 'leading premier league central midfielder' looking at his stats hes definitely got the basis to be come quality.

i didnt think his mediocre performances at Charlton demanded such a bump up in potential.

Also, i've got a hypothetical question. Say i loan a player for a season, a young hot prospect like Veloso or Gourcuff and only play them in my reserves or give them very limited first team opportunities.

that's going to drive their value down making it easier for me to purchase them next season isnt it?

It may reduced their value, but will they want to sign for a team which has given them limited first team opportunities? Probably not. It may well bring the player into the affordable price bracket of teams who would be willing to offer first team football.

Guest steffenularsen

Offloaded Hleb in order to concentrate on a life without wingers.

Hill-Wood offladed Denilson .....an offer to good to refuse it seems.

Instead I bought two MCs: Arouca and J. Mouthino, and a striker: T. Rocchi whose stats looked really sharp.

Mouthinho turned out to be a wonderkid, and Rice says he´ll end up being almost as good as Fabregas. A couple months into the game he´s topscorer.

But Adebayor, Song and Diaby are unhappy: too much competition.

Too many central midfields is giving me headaches!

Bert, Cesc, Diaby, Diarra, Flamini, Denilson, Song, Rosicky (although i employ him as a left winger)

All of them are fantastic no doubt.

I like to rotation the squad but there are too many to rotate.

Conclusion might have to play a 5 man midfield or sell some.

In the case of selling, I would only sell Bert.

Can't bare to part with the rest as they have immense talent.

Selling Bert seems like the right thing as I prefer to play youngsters.

Any suggestions on solving this problem? New formation maybe?

Talking about tactics, the 08, to me is a much difficult game to win as compared to 07.

Non of my tactics wins me 3 goals advantage. 2 goals advantages are rare.

I keep losing to mid-table opponents.

Some help with the tactics will be much appreciated.

As for signings, only signed Menez, Saivet and Tuia (wasn't bad in 07)

The current squad lacks natural wingers.

RVP, Eduardo and Theo are strikers in my book.

Did play Eduardo and Theo in the wings on several occasions.

Theo is rather impressive at right wing.

Menez looks like a quality player and I would strongly recommend him.

Got him for 9.5mil.

Might be a player for the future.

Seen him play in real life too. Would recommend him to Arsene. Scores goals and is a skillful player.

max05, wouldnt recommend selling Gilberto unless you get an offer that's too good to turn down. He's quality and still has 2-3 years left at his best (in the game). Also, he can help out at CB when and if you need him.

I'd recommend selling Song because there's just no place for him in the squad. You've got Flamini, Diarra and Denilson who are all better than him at DM (that's where Song plays best imo). You'll need Gilberto's experience as well especially when you play bigger teams like Man Utd, Chelsea etc.

You could do with a right winger as well unless you plan to play Walcott there. Hleb doesnt have a high rating in FM08 as he did in FM07. Gourcuff is available on loan from Milan. I'd recommend him. He plays CAM as well.

My choice for a formation from that:

LAM - Rosicky

CM - Fabregas

RAM - Hleb/ Walcott (he plays well on the wings)

DM - Gilberto

If Fabregas gets injured, move Rosicky to CM and Saivet to LM. Wont be a bad idea to sell Flamini as well because Diarra is better than him (I think) and you've Denilson as well. Too many DM's in the squad me thinks!!

theincrediblehulk When you talk about using the line up.

LAM - Rosicky

CM - Fabregas

RAM - Helb

DM - Bert

Do you mean you would play a formation like:

LAM---------RAM

------CM-------

------DM-------

Or just have Cesc and Bert play beside each other with different instructions? Like wise with the L/RAM would you play them further up the pitch or just MR/L with attack minded instructions?

I also sold Gilberto due to the number of young quailty central midfielders coming thorough. I got £10m from Sevilla which is good considering he is nearly 31 and there is so much competition for the central midfield roles. you can keep him at the risk of upsetting Diaby etc.. but Gilberto's value is only going to diminsh.

The alterntive is to keep him as use him as cover for central defence.

I got Capel from Sevilla who lloks quite useful along with Modric. Interestingly whn I got modric Diaby got upset. however, in another game I got Menez instead and Diaby was fine which is a bit odd as both acquistions were wide players.

Originally posted by Mark.:

theincrediblehulk When you talk about using the line up.

LAM - Rosicky

CM - Fabregas

RAM - Helb

DM - Bert

Do you mean you would play a formation like:

LAM---------RAM

------CM-------

------DM-------

Or just have Cesc and Bert play beside each other with different instructions? Like wise with the L/RAM would you play them further up the pitch or just MR/L with attack minded instructions?

Exactly like you said. I think in FM08 the DM gets a LOT of touches of the ball. So the best would be to have a DM like Pirlo who can pass very well (I'm not certain, but seems the best way to me). If you play Gilberto just behind Cesc, put his passing to "short" it should work as he'll be passing most of the time to Cesc who then takes over. Also, in this game it seems to be really hard to defend at times, espcially if you play a tough team. So you need a DM to mop things up. Keeping Gilberto will give time to Flamini and Diarra to build up their defensive stats.

Again, its what I've observed from what I've played and this is just the way I think things would work best. Obviously, I'll need to play a whole season before I can really judge. But this has been working for me so far.

When I get a chance to, I'm thinking of buying Van der Vaart and playing Cesc in the DM position with an arrow pointed toward CM. I hope that he'll get the ball everytime and pass it on to VDV. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey fellow Gooners. Not played the demo for long but found Modric to be superb for under £10m and Quaresma is buyable for under £20m. Struggling to get the best out of Hleb and Rosicky though. How are they playing for you guys?

£40m on wingers is a lot of dosh. Modric is a good buy for £3.8m .

You also need to look at:

Menez - £10m

Capel - Loan or £4m

Saivet - £400k (one for the future).

I also found that either Hleb or Rosicky were injured, sometimes both.

Im an Aberdeen/Liverpool fan but i fancied starting as Arsenal and i am doing well so far.

Using the man city 4-1-4-1

Bought:

Owen 14mil

Aimar 16mil.

Sold:

Flamini 3.8mil

Denilson 13.2 mil

P25 W18 D4 L3

Losses were 1-0 away to Villa and 2 defeats to Valencia, about a month after the Villa defeat the board said they were satisfied with my performance but disappointed with that defeat.

Top of the league on 33 points after 14 games and still 1/2 games in hand on the teams below me.

Also through the groups in champs league and into league cup semi.

Playing

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Gallas

Clichy

Gilberto Silva

Eduardo/Rosicky

Fabregas

Aimar

Hleb/RVP

Owen

Originally posted by Proud9:

Forgot to say

Aps/Goals

Fabregas 23/13

Owen 21/13

Aimar 20/7

Hleb 19/5

Eduardo 9(4)/4

IS there someone i haven't been playing that i really should be?

it depends, personally i think RVP is the most dangerous forward in the squad and that if you were going to play one up front then you should have been using him instead of spending money on Owen.

How have you been playing Fabregas? He scored goals for me but not at the rate of 1:2, i've had to drop his long shots down in the demo because he keeps blasting away from range and having 5+ shots a game and missing most of them.

Originally posted by super sub:

Menez - £10m

Capel - Loan or £4m

For £6.5m, Jefferson Farfan actually looks a better buy than Menez.

Originally posted by throughbeingcool:

Hi,

I'm in need of some quality wingers, have 40 odd million to spend after re-working the finances. Oh full game by the way.

Thanks

Riccardo Quaresma from Porto, I got him for something like 7m upfront with 7m over 24 months, plus a few extra clauses such as sell on. You could have to spend anywhere up to 30m though maybe.

Originally posted by Elmyr Dehory:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by super sub:

Menez - £10m

Capel - Loan or £4m

For £6.5m, Jefferson Farfan actually looks a better buy than Menez. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think Menez is better. He's a good dribbler or the ball and scores goals, just like what he does in real life. Haven't tried Farfan. Can't judge him yet

I'm adding more problems to my misery!

Just bought Samir Nasri for 15mil.

I know its alot of money but he happens to be one of my favourite player.

He is lika a Cesc.

Anyways, now I have 8 players who can play central midfield.

(excluding flamini who is on loan to Man City)

Can't sell any cause the prices I'm getting for any of them is absurd.

3.5mil for Bert is just moronic.

------------------------------------------------

Formation:

Jens/Fabianski

Sagna/Eboue Toure Gallas Geal/Traore

Bert/Denilson/Diarra

Cesc/Samir/Diaby

Hleb/Theo Rosicky/Menez

Adebayor/Nicklas RVP/Eduardo

-------------------------------------------------

Team Report after 10 games or so:

The squad is doing great so far.

Samir is really quality.

I would recommend you to try him.

A like for like replacement for Cesc if he gets injured.

RVP is performing below par.

Misses many chances but strangely scores 1

almost every game.

Adebayor is in good form of late.

Menez is excellent.

Good runs and delivers fantastic crosses/passes.

Hleb is dissapointing.

Rosicky is a normal player so far.

Theo is inconsistent but great nevertheless.

I'll just leave it till here.

Would appreciate comments on formation/current squad/

future signings or anything.

Hahaha...

Can't wait for the full game to be in stores in my country.

Cheers!

Formation wasn't clear.

So here it is again.

--------------Jens/Fabianski--------------

Sagna/Eboue---Toure---Gallas---Geal/Traore

-----------Bert/Denilson/Diarra-----------

--------------Cesc/Samir/Diaby------------

Hleb/Theo--------------------Rosicky/Menez

-----Adebayor/Nicklas-----RVP/Eduardo-----

Originally posted by throughbeingcool:

Can Nasri play MC? Also is it worth keeping Diarra and Song? And what has everyone done with the number 14 shirt?

Nasri is an accomplished player in MC.

Diarra is a better player than Song.

I reckon Diarra is worth keeping.

Song not so. I know my no.14 shirt is taken

not sure who took it.

Ive gone with Song over diarra. His been doing the business tbf. He is worth keeping even if his not your first choice.

Ive just started. Just in my friendly games at the moment.

Just about to buy, Neri Cardozo looks pretty good, Got age on his side aswell.

Originally posted by Leandro Davide:

Okay, I've decided to start with Arsenal, I am thinking of playing in a 4-2-2-2 with a targetman.

Anyone some suggestions for players I should buy? Wich position needs more players?

Buying wingers could be an option. Arsenal lacks players in those positions.

Jeremy Menez, Luka Modric, Quaresma would be some suggestions.

Try Samir Nasri. I'm having a blast playing him.

Though you don't really need central midfielders as Arsenal are vast in that area.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate.

Originally posted by max05:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leandro Davide:

Okay, I've decided to start with Arsenal, I am thinking of playing in a 4-2-2-2 with a targetman.

Anyone some suggestions for players I should buy? Wich position needs more players?

Buying wingers could be an option. Arsenal lacks players in those positions.

Jeremy Menez, Luka Modric, Quaresma would be some suggestions.

Try Samir Nasri. I'm having a blast playing him.

Though you don't really need central midfielders as Arsenal are vast in that area.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx for the tips! I already bought Huntelaar for ± 12 mil pounds I think (16.75 mil in €).

I was trying to get Cani also, he seems to be very good (AMRLC @ Villarreal) and only costs € 11 million (± 8/9 mil pounds) not quite sure if he is class but my scouts say so.

might aswell contribute to this thread.. starting as arsenal and have 49M to spend after changing the budget and lookign to play a 4-3-1-2

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> GK

DR DC DC DL

<----MC MC MC---->

AMC

|

V

ST ST </pre>

not sure weather to use Fabregas as the AMC or not though

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

will probably stick Rosicky/Helb at AMC until i buy someone better/younger like Fernandez/Nasri/Aguero although i stick even put Eduardo there if i choose to buy Pandev/Villa/Martins

I'd go for VdV for AMC BB. He can be picked up for around £11m icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by manu legend:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

will probably stick Rosicky/Helb at AMC until i buy someone better/younger like Fernandez/Nasri/Aguero although i stick even put Eduardo there if i choose to buy Pandev/Villa/Martins

I'd go for VdV for AMC BB. He can be picked up for around £11m icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

granted he is an amazing player but like in past games he is quite injury prone iirc

making every outfield player in my squad retrain to a different position icon_cool.gif versatility \o/

How have you been playing Fabregas? He scored goals for me but not at the rate of 1:2, i've had to drop his long shots down in the demo because he keeps blasting away from range and having 5+ shots a game and missing most of them.

the 4 midfielders right behind the striker with forward arrows, cesc playing the left side on the middle 2 with these instructions:

cesczi7.jpg

Archived