Anyone having success with a narrow diamond midfield?

If I can I like to play with 2 forwards, I also like to play with someone sitting just behind the forwards.

My most ever successful save (back on FM2010) was a 20 year save with Arsenal, playing total football. I achieved this with the narrow diamond midfield, 4-1-2-1-2.

Nowadays I just cant get anything like that playing positive football.

Without midfield width you seem to really sacrifice much needed options and spend a lot of time on the back foot.

-----

I am starting a game with Liverpool and will try to play 2 upfront and Coutinho behind. If you was playing this formation, how would you set up your CAM in such a way to combat lack of width? Would you set him to roam? I noticed in real life Coutinho does tend to go very wide, covering the pitch side to side.

I had success with Liverpool using 4-4-2 narrow diamond using Liverpool with the old database when my new LW(Bryan Ruiz) was injured. If you use the new database, this is what I'd suggest.

-----------------Reina

------------------SK(D)

Jhonson----Skrtel----Agger----Enrique

WB(S)------CB(D)----BPD(D)--WB(S)

-----------------Lucas

-----------------DM(D)

----------Gerrard----Allen

-----------DLP(S)----BBM

----------------Coutinho

-----------------AM(S)

---------Sturridge----Suarez

----------AF-----------T

Philosophy:- Balanced

Style:-Control

Crossing:-Drill

Pressing:-Press More(Don't want the ball to reach our half as we are a bit vulnerable in Defense)

Defense Line:-Default(against team with pacy strikers, I use the shout drop deeper, change Reina's, Skrtel's and Agger's role to GK(D),CB(X) & BPD© respectively, against 2 striker teams, I keep both the defenders on D.)

Counter:-No

Offside Trap:-No(I use it against team with strikers and wingers with poor speed or off the ball)

Playmaker:-None

TargetMan:-Sturridge

TargetMan Supply:- To feet

Moreover, when I am happy with the lead or am playing against a tougher opponent, I switch Allen with Gerrard. Assign Allen to DLP(D), and Gerrard to BWM(S).

Hope it helps

I had success with a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 in the BSS but it definitely needed some good players to bear the fruits of success.

You get killed on the wings in a 4-1-2-1-2 so I think it definitely calls for a Fluid style with some roaming where you expect players to help out.

i too have had great success in past versions but couldnt get it quite right on this. dunno if it was just bad luck and poor form or something was fundamentally wrong with the tactic.

the only thing i know is that your 2 cms need to have very high closing down to enable them to close down the wingers and help the defence out.

To get a narrow diamond to work , you'll need a correct role and duty for the front 3, because they'll create the most chance for the team. If the setup is wrong then you'll struggle heavily to create chance and your attack will be one dimensional.

You can set the AMC to be the main playmaker, one striker as a second striker type and the other one as the 'poacher' whose job is to only score and score.

I believe the best setup is this: Trequartista (playmaker), Adv Fwd/Comp Fwd/ Deep Lying Fwd (2nd striker), and a Poacher. This is best used when your opponent doesn't play with a DM

The other way is to make your AMC as a second striker , and one of your striker to drop deep to create space for the rushing AMC and the other striker. Use this when the opp have a DM

The setup is: Attacking mid(A), DLF/Complete Fwd(S), and Adv Fwd(A).

Don't forget that you need to set your full back to FB(A), WB(A) or WB(S) because they are the only one who can give you width

Hope this might help you

I'm currently playing like RTHerringbone, but with a fluid setup and generic roles. Sitting in third position in the PL with Boston United (4th season in the PL), one point behind Chelski and five away from City. I've got some world class strikers and central defenders and a few very good central midfielders, but I lack in the wing back department, so I'm pretty much overachieving.

-------------GK

-------CD(D)---CD(D)

WB(S)-----DM(D)-----WB(S)

-------CM(A)--CM(S)

-----------AM(A)

-----AF(A)----CF(S)

Very fluid, control, haven't touched anything else and use shouts when necessary. On a seven game unbeaten run now in all competitions, won six in a row, amongst which a 5-1 at home against Newcastle, a 4-2 win away at Villa and a 1-3 at L'pool.

Got one hell of an end of season schedule ahead though, with games against Sunderland (who probably have one of the most annoying strikers in the world, scores against me every time) Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

I'm also playing a narrow diamond with Sao Paulo in the Brazilian leagues with this set up.

Fluid

Switch between Attacking and Control depending on opposition

FB/s -- CD/d-CD/d -- FB/a

DLP/d

CM/s ---- CM/a

ADP/s

P or AF/a ----- DL/s

The idea is to attack down the left flank and either over whelm the opposition RB or create space for the opposite side FWd to sneak in at the far post.

Finding fullbacks that are good going forward but with enough stamina to get back is vital for this formation as they create the width with late overlapping runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I played this formation in my first full season with Pescara in Serie A and came 2nd. I think my my CAM was naturally set to roam and the formation was set to counter with both the CM's possessing high work rate, tending to drift wide if needed when we were without the ball to cover the full backs. I find a ball winning midfielder very useful as one of the CM's. Attacking wise the team broke with pace and options weren't an issue, both forwards moved in to the channels to create options/space. If you prefer a more possession based game this might not be what you want though.

Archived