Protecting the lead

I tried posting this in tactics/training but got nothing:

I keep giving up late goals. My defenders make dumb mistakes or the AI scores fluke goals, seemingly driven by them going on all out attacking.

What shouts and tweaks do people recommend to kill the clock and avoid risky situations in the last few minutes of the game? I've even put it on 'contain' and still seen players crossing instead of taking the ball to the corner flag.

Contain will invite pressure as you will give up any game initiative. I find defensive much more effective.

Still, I only try to protect the lead when I'm 3 or more goals up. I play a very attacking style and, if it's working well, why change it?

A good thing to do as well is having one of your training tactics (and a shout for it) just for controling won games. Just switch to it, use thr shout, and you'll do much better because your players will be "fluid" with it.

If you are conceding late goals, the main thing is fitness. Make sure you don't have lots of players below maybe 70% fitness, especially in midfield. Beyond that, don't try to defend a lead by going defensive, you'll just encourage the other team to attack you and increase the pressure your defence is facing. I tend to focus on keeping possession (use the retain possession shout for example), possibly putting on an extra man in midfield to give more passing options and so on. Also, throwing on a pacy forward is a good option to try and hit the other team on the break, especially if they are pouring men forward trying to get back into the game.

I have a 5-2-1-1-1 formation on contain with max time wasting and low tempo I use in certain circumstances.

Admittedly, you still see players doing things that aren't exactly time-wasting, but all in all it is ok.

I would say that on an average of 10 games, in around 5 the clock will simply run out with no more highlights, in about 3 I will concede a late goal, and in 2 I will see lots of defending without conceding.

Those odds show that it isn't a certain "win-game" option, but it can work sometimes. Since my team has gotten better I have stopped using it, but soemtimes do if 1 goal up on a much better team.

I tend to sign midfielders who can dictate play, but also put their foot in. I play a 4-2-3-1 formation, but if it is late in the game and we aren't winning comfrotably, I can go from that to three defensive midfielders with a few changes.

Archived