Improving my FM performance - advice need please

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place, move as you wish if it is not.

My PC used to be quite fast for FM so I am looking to give the beast it a little boost.

Basically I am wanting to improve the general speed FM and at the same time use more leagues etc.

I currently only load the English leagues (to L2) on a large database which creates only 14,000 players.

My PC specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 05/05/2009

Locale United Kingdom

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB

Available Physical Memory 915 MB

Total Virtual Memory 6.49 GB

Available Virtual Memory 3.01 GB

Page File Space 3.25 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Hard Drive: 603gb of 698gb free

Anything else you need let me know

Thanks in advance

"buy a new pc"....and what are your reasons for this?

because the game is heavily dependend on the CPU, and your CPU is quite weak, theres no other hardware piece you could add or exchange in your PC that would make any difference.

and be aware of the upcoming "try to install game booster" and other software comments, it will not make a difference.

Interesting, I have been tempted to build my own PC recently but just need to raise the cash, FM is the sole reason I have my desktop PC. Then someone swayed me to get an SSD, seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other. How about if I overclock the CPU?

Interesting, I have been tempted to build my own PC recently but just need to raise the cash, FM is the sole reason I have my desktop PC. Then someone swayed me to get an SSD, seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other. How about if I overclock the CPU?

that might sound like an idea, but you would probably need a new CPU cooling device, which would cost around 30€ or so.. would maybe get you maybe 0,5 or maybe 1 star in speed on your current database, nothing major

SSD really only makes a noticeable difference in loading/saving from what I've experienced. Haven't really seen any increase in game flow speed because of it, though I rarely get any lag between screens anymore, but that is more likely because of the CPU I upgraded. I overhauled my entire machine last year purely to get more grunt for FM.

"buy a new pc"....and what are your reasons for this?

You might not like it, but that's how it works. PC's get outdated in 6 months. Your 5 year old machine is much MUCH weaker than what you get today on the same budget as you had then. It's rough, but when it comes to PC's you're rarely going to be able to upgrade slightly unless you do it constantly. Maybe you could find a better CPU, but CPU's for that socket haven't been produced for 4 years now.

Do some general upkeep. Defrag, run some malware adware and virus checks, uninstall unneeded programs, clean up the startup program list. Or just reformat if you want to. These two options might give you a slight boost, but don't count on it making a big difference.

Archived