Help on seeing out games.

In my latest save with Newcastle I am conceding an alarming amount of late goals (80 min plus) and would love to hear peoples thoughts on the most advisable solution.

I am playing a deep 4-2-3-1 with control and counter (home and away) as follows

GK

DL CB CB DR

DLP DM

W TRE W

P

I have tried a range of options from the following in a range of different circumstances;

- Switch to contain

- Switch to defense

- Change my passing style from direct to short

- Manually alter time wasting

- Change my player roles from attack to support, and support to defense

These are across a range of circumstances such as -

- winning 1-0 at home with 10 men

- winning 1-0 at away from home with 11 men

- winning 2-0 at home to strong opposition

On every occasion when I have interefered around 75th-80th min I have always seemed to changed the game in favour of the opposition, which is remarkably frustrating.

Can anyone post any success with seeing out games, and suggest anything I may be doing wrong?

Yeah ive given a range of shouts ago. My usual combination of drop deeper, retain possession and pass to feet has been lacking on this save for some reason :p

My concern, is that im 5th, only 6 points off top, and Id be first if it wasnt for my end of game failings :(

On every occasion when I have interefered around 75th-80th min I have always seemed to changed the game in favour of the opposition, which is remarkably frustrating.

Erm..... then don't interfere.....

If you're still in control of the game then don't change anything. If they change then you might need too.

What about player tiredness????

The obvious other thing is that you don't seem to be adjusting your shape to that of your opponent.

For example, if you're using the 4-2-3-1 with two DMs, but your opponent has no AMs, then arguably there's no reason to play that way/

You could drop at least one DM and use an AM of your own - the best form of defence is attack sometimes.

The only thing I would change is to make sure that Pass to Feet, Retain Possession and Take a Breather are used. I may take off Hassle Opponents as I have found that the opposition will be playing with such a high tempo that high pressing gets torn to shreds, however I only do this if I feel I'm in trouble. I don't play any more defensively as I don't want to invite unneeded pressure. I very rarely change roles either, instead subbing on fresher legs defensively or a more defensively aware player. Because of this, it's been quite a while since the last time I lost out on a win in the last 10 minutes.

It could be that you're changing to an unfamiliar strategy. Your players won't be as familiar with defensive/contain if you're always playing counter. I believe the way to increase familiarity would be to change your tactics to defensive and up the team cohesion in training until your players are fluid in familiarity with that mentality.

Then when it comes to the games you'll be more familiar with that playing strategy.

I don't do anything fancy but switch from counter to defensive (I'm fluid on both) and then drop my players deeper, pass to feet and retain possession. If I'm facing a narrow formation I'll play narrower and exploit the flanks or visa versa.

For the record I've had dreadful results using contain. It's just asking for trouble in my opinion and I almost always concede, as do a lot of other people. Defensive should suffice. And I don't change time wasting or any player roles either.

Erm..... then don't interfere.....

If you're still in control of the game then don't change anything. If they change then you might need too.

What about player tiredness????

Yes, I didn't mention. I have also tried this tactic, only to concede. I must admit though, in some games I have not been brave enough and have been pessimistic despite controlling. In others however I have been fortunate to be ahead and would like to have a better knowledge on if other people have success tinkering

The only thing I would change is to make sure that Pass to Feet, Retain Possession and Take a Breather are used. I may take off Hassle Opponents as I have found that the opposition will be playing with such a high tempo that high pressing gets torn to shreds, however I only do this if I feel I'm in trouble. I don't play any more defensively as I don't want to invite unneeded pressure. I very rarely change roles either, instead subbing on fresher legs defensively or a more defensively aware player. Because of this, it's been quite a while since the last time I lost out on a win in the last 10 minutes.

I like the idea of bringing on more defensively aware players. I feel this is something that reflects a sound strategy IRL

It could be that you're changing to an unfamiliar strategy. Your players won't be as familiar with defensive/contain if you're always playing counter. I believe the way to increase familiarity would be to change your tactics to defensive and up the team cohesion in training until your players are fluid in familiarity with that mentality.

Then when it comes to the games you'll be more familiar with that playing strategy.

I don't do anything fancy but switch from counter to defensive (I'm fluid on both) and then drop my players deeper, pass to feet and retain possession. If I'm facing a narrow formation I'll play narrower and exploit the flanks or visa versa.

For the record I've had dreadful results using contain. It's just asking for trouble in my opinion and I almost always concede, as do a lot of other people. Defensive should suffice. And I don't change time wasting or any player roles either.

Interesting points, Ill have a look at that.

On a positive note, I have just seen out a 2-1 against Swansea using my normal drop deep, retain possesion and pass to feet! (up to 3rd :) )

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is subs. This is one of the reasons why so many people conceede late goals as they don't know how to use substitutions correctly and have squad with really low condition towards the end of the game. I'm not saying this is what's happening in your game but it could be.

What sort of condition do your players have when you finish a game? Tired players can be a nightmare late in game.

Also do you have a squad who have high concentration? If not, then again this will be an issue for late goals.

Archived