FM 13 still not 64 Bit?

Awareness of 64 bit contra 32 bit is not something that "ordinary" computer users have any clue about at all, really. It's the geeks that knows. But that is not the point here. There is a difference, and there are improvements to be gained with going 64 bit. Therefore it should be. It would perhaps take time, people and money away from other "improvements" of the game in order to make a 64 bit version - but that is fine with me.

The problem is this: Making a 64 bit version will make the game better, but it will not make SI sell many more copies of the game. Countless other "new features" will sell more copies to the average potential new FM gamer. SI will take that into consideration when/if to go 64 bit. As they should, of course. But if not (64 bit), they will then miss out of the opportunity to make a truly better functioning game, as opposed to a game that merely sells more. Just my opinion, of course.

In any case, 64 bit will come. I'd just like it sooner than later.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes - the contradiction is on purpose to show how illogical and argument that:

"If 65% of all steam users use 64 bit then that means 65% of FM users use 64 bit".

Yes, I was being just as illogical as the above statement. On purpose to make my point.

The logic in his post is different to asdpoo's post. asdpoo asserts that the 64-bit distribution is the same for Steam and FM. Wanson asserts that they are different ("which is 64-bit, as all recent Intel Macs are"), then tries to apply asdpoo's logic ("they are the same"), contradicting his assertion right off the bat.

Lol, just accept, your read it wrong, stop digging a bigger hole.

Yes - the contradiction is on purpose to show how illogical and argument that:

"If 65% of all steam users use 64 bit then that means 65% of FM users use 64 bit".

No, because Wanson's post is a different argument.

asdpoo's argument is basically modus ponens:

A: "The distribution of 64-bit on Steam is equivalent to 64-bit on FM"

B: "65% of Steam users use 64-bit"

Conclusion C (modus ponens): "Therefore 65% of FM users use 64-bit"

Wanson's is different:

D: "Most Macs use 64-bit" (*)

E: "65% of Steam users use 64-bit"

Conclusion F (?): "Therefore 65% of Steam users are Macs"

How Wanson gets from F from D and E is not the same as modus ponens because asdpoo asserts the distributions are equivalent, while Wanson begins with D, which immediately implies the distributions are not equal (E).

If you like, asdpoo does not assert anything to do with the actual percentage of 64-bit on FM. He does not say "Most FM users use 64-bit" at the start - it's inferred as a conclusion. Wanson, on the other hand, uses (*) from the start.

They're different arguments. Wanson's doesn't even make logical sense.

You would actually be that person who would argue that grass isnt green. Amazing. :D
Er, the arguments are not equivalent, if you'd actually read them. Wanson asserts the FM percentage at the start while asdpoo draws it as a conclusion. They are entirely different logical arguments and a rather silly attempt to make asdpoo's argument sound wrong.

The only possible fallacy in asdpoo's argument is statement A, that the distributions are equal. I think we can do better than apply an incorrect argument to disprove it, however.

I can't see FM gamers deviate all that much from the general Steam users, really - where does this assumption come from? If we don't have other publicised stats, the numbers for general Steam users will have to suffice.

I have rarely seen any computer been sold with anything other than 64 bit OS for the last couple of years, and 64 bit processors and mainboards took over the sales long before that - so I can't see anything else than it being a very large proportion of pc users that are now on fully 64 bit systems, really. Is it the assumption that FM gamers are sitting on older hardware and software than most other people? Maybe it is - but it can't be that big a difference.

Archived