Beating Fußball-Club Bayern München

I've been playing FM/Champ Man since the ‘99 edition and have been ghosting these forums for a few years picking up tips on tactics and decent young players. Today I’ve finally decided to join in on the fun and post a thread. It was after my latest defeat to Bayern.

Each edition of FM I normally start with a tester save. Normally one of the big clubs from around Europe so I can get used to the new tweaks in the game and find a tactic that I’m happy with. Then I’ll start my proper save with a Championship club (Reading normally, don’t know why I just normally pick them:)) and attempt to reach greatness.

This year’s tester save I’ve went with Werder Bremen. Currently in my second season with them after guiding them to 2nd place in the first season. In my one and a bit seasons with Werder I’ve played Bayern 4 times so far, having a record of 0 wins 0 draws and 4 defeats. Last night I played them for the first time in the league this season (4th in the save), we’ve been pretty strong this season managing to be 4 points clear of Bayern at the top of the league currently on a 6 game winning streak. Bayern are fourth and have lost their last two (Hamburg and Marseille) a win and they’d move to 2nd a point behind me. So this is how the game panned out:

I started the game on “Counter” “Fluid” and passing style “More Direct” everything else was set to default (oh and individual player settings to Long Shots “Rarely”). I lined up with:

GK – Wiese (distribution to “Quick throw” “Right Back”)

RB – Fritz (Full back defend)

CB – Naldo (Central Defender defend)

CB – Vertonghen ( Central Defender defend)

LB – Schmitz (Full Back defend)

DMF – Ignjovski (Anchor defend)

CM – Bargfrede (BWM defend)

CM – Ekici (Advanced Playmaker support)

AMR – Shaqiri (Inside Forward support)

AML – Marin (Inside Forward support)

FC – Sturridge (Advance Forward Attack)

Subs: Guilherme, Sokratis, Vrasljko Willian, Arnautovic, Borowski, Pizarro

Bayern lined up in a 4-2-3-1 Deep formation with the Gomez leading the line, Robben (AMR) Muller (AMC) Ribery (AML) supporting and two deep midfielders in the DMC position (Schweinsteiger and Gustavo).

Using the shots I asked my team to “Exploit the middle” “Stay on feet”. Bayern took an lead early in the game, a few tactical changes (Changed from direct to “Pass to feet” “Work ball into box” as per Ass Man instructions) 1-0 at half time. I gave the lads some harsh words and we brought it back to 1-1 midway through the second half. Switched to defensive as Bayern were pilling on the pressure, but they broke through and made it 2-1 with 10 mins left. I Quickly changed to attacking style, changed Marin and Shaqiri to Attacking, brought on Willian for Bargfrede and moved him up into the AMC position and replaced Sturridge with Pizarro (Poacher). It worked well, we started getting men forward and creating a fair few chances, then Marin scored on the counter with 2 mins left. I was happy to take the draw, so set the team to play on the counter.

Then disaster, Bayern score in the 92min. Full time score Bayern Munich 3 – 2 Werder Bremen.

That’s four straight defeats to Bayern. They play that same 4-2-3-1 deep formation and I just can’t seem to outfox it. Now can the good people of the community help me out, give me a few tips on how to beat this well oiled machine?

What I’ve done is created a separate save for this so I can go back tonight and play them again, work out how to beat them (for the next time I play them) and if you guys could give me tips I can report back with what happened?

P.S. I would have given screenshots but I don’t how to upload them

When you play against a better side and you have players on the AMR/AML you have to make sure that your wingers track back and defend otherwise your fullbacks will end up in a 2:1 situations when Robben/Lahm attack you on your left or the other pair of wide players on the other side.

I also think that you should try to find and bring in some better players then the ones you had in your starting lineup against Bayern.

Leaving four AI defensive players (2CBs, 2DMs) to mark your one player (FC) is a smart move unless he is your main striking force and other players only support him :D

Try playing Sturridge on right flank as inside forward/attack with support of fullback or even wingback and choose hardworking FC to individual (maybe even tight) marking of DM playmaker (Schewinsteiger).

When you play against a better side and you have players on the AMR/AML you have to make sure that your wingers track back and defend otherwise your fullbacks will end up in a 2:1 situations when Robben/Lahm attack you on your left or the other pair of wide players on the other side.

I also think that you should try to find and bring in some better players then the ones you had in your starting lineup against Bayern.

Both my AMR and AML are set to support to track back. Or should I change there marking settings to man mark Bayern's RB and LB?

I wouldn't recommend “Exploit the middle” because they have 2 dmcs in the middle. Maybe I will try closing down Schweinsteiger using the OI since he is the playmaker of the team.

That's a good point, the reason I used "Exploit the Middle" was because Bayern left quite a lot of space between the AM's and the DMC's. But thinking about it, maybe "Exploit the Flanks" would be better and switch my AML and AMR to Attack? That way I would be giving more support to Sturridge and attacking the space their fullbacks leave.

Leaving four AI defensive players (2CBs, 2DMs) to mark your one player (FC) is a smart move unless he is your main striking force and other players only support him :D

Try playing Sturridge on right flank as inside forward/attack with support of fullback or even wingback and choose hardworking FC to individual (maybe even tight) marking of DM playmaker (Schewinsteiger).

Do you mean 'not' a smart move ;) I take your point. I normally play Willian in the AMC position behind him, but I switched to a more defensive formation for this game. Like I've put above maybe I should go with my AMR and AML on attack.

Sturridge hasn't been effective as an inside forward. I've been playing as a poacher and he's got 11 in 8 so far.

Agree with you on closing down Schewinsteiger, I tend not to change any of the opposition settings, but maybe getting Bargfrede to close down Schewinsteiger...

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I've been playing the last 3 seasons of my current save in the german first division and bayern are just plain impossible for me to beat. Last season with 2 games left we were even in points but they had the GD tie breaker. They drew a match the day before, and unfortunately I drew as well. On the last match day, I won big, and they scored an 87th minute winner to win the league. I was pretty crushed.

So they keep doing it to me as well. This season I'm 5 points up on them but with 14 matches left to play.

Archived