All aboard the 'SS If This Save Fails I'm Going Back To FM07'

CityAndColour

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fgheitmeiersale.jpg

It appears we're going to have our first ever seven figure sale. Shame as he's going to be a cracking player but I probably would've accepted it even if the board didn't, purely as our finances are still a little shaky. Looks like I'll have £400K to re-invest in the squad, both in the last few days of August and in January if need be.

fgtaboct.jpg

As we hit the start of November and we've certainly adjusted to the league a lot more effectively than I thought we would. We've already put a sizeable gap between ourselves and the relegation spots, so when the inevitable poor run does come we've got a little bit of security. Going by previous seasons, we'll need around 50 points to ensure survival, and we've pretty much gathered half of that in the first third of the campaign.

Highlights include a run to the 4th round of the League Cup, where we were knocked out by Prem side QPR, and also impressive away wins at Swansea and Sheffield Utd. Our finances are now secure.

Our form is made even more impressive by the fact we haven't gotten much out of our strikers either. Phelan has three goals, all scored in one game, Hayes has seven, again including a hat-trick, and new signing Tisma only two before he was injured. Dunk, with nine goals and five assists from right wing has clearly been the attacking star.

And we've tonked Watford 4-0 in our game in hand to hit the top ten.

I've also got to say how easy I've found it to get quality unattached players now that we can scout all over Europe. Presenting Sonny Hagner...

fghager.jpg

Sitting without a club after being released by Frankfurt, he looks immense for 19. Will slot straight into our attack and hopefully provide the consistent scoring we have lacked so far from the front men.

We've hit the halfway point and we're cruising...

fghalfwayccc.jpg

With relegation almost certainly avoided, we can enjoy the second half of the season and maybe even push for an unlikely play-off spot. Two things please me about our season so far; our goal difference, which is the best outside the play-off spots, and the fact we've only lost six of our 23 league matches. Only four teams have lost less, and we just dispatched one of them, Wrexham, 4-1 at their ground.

We're a young and reasonably small squad, so the maturity and promise the players are showing is very pleasing.

And the Forest Green show somehow keeps rolling on...

fgfixturerun.jpg

Despite a heavy FA Cup loss to Prem side QPR, we've now notched six league wins in a row to sit 5th, and with a game in hand to go 4th and only four points from an auto promotion place. How? I have no idea. I'm barely rotating the first XI and it seems momentum is taking over. That and teenage whizz kid Sonny Hagner, who has nine league goals in nine starts.

Most recently was probably the finest win in my tenure...

fgnewcastle-1.jpg

Down a goal and a man within the first quarter of an hour, we bossed the game to continue our undefeated streak against the best team in the league this season. We've picked up four points against Newcastle in the league and knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties too.

Even a slight increase in junior coaching has made a difference. Lewis Stockley is the first player to come through in my time who has any chance of ever earning a first team appearance...

fgstockley.jpg

He is no world beater but there are some decent attributes to work with.

fginjuries.jpg

That'll be the season then. We're clinging to a final play-off spot, but our three best attackers are out for the season in Phelan, Hagner and Dunk (thigh strain, broken ankle, torn calf muscle), both left-backs are done for the season, and our back-up keeper is gone for a couple of weeks.

2022/23 - Forest Green Rovers - Championship

200px-Forest_Green_Rovers_F.C._logo.jpg

League Table - Finances - Graph - Transfers

Season Review

A season that wildly exceeded my expectations, yet somehow still finished in disappointment. A win on opening day brought with it promise, and while it took us eight league games to get our second one, many of those were draws, meaning we stayed around mid-table. A few more wins put some space between us and the relegation spots, and it's a huge credit to the side that we never really flirted with the drop zone for the whole season.

At the start of December we brought in 19-year-old German Sonny Hagner on a free, and suddenly it was game on. 15 goals in his first 17 league starts brought with it seven straight league wins, and we were not only in the play-off spots, but knocking on the door of automatic promotion.

Unfortunately, it was too good to be true, as he then went and broke his ankle. Two games later, the thoroughly excellent Dunk tore his calf, and Phelan strained a thigh muscle. Bereft of our three best attackers, our defenders were also enjoying a mini game of seeing who could make the funniest defensive errors, and we stumbled towards the finish line. Going into the final match, a win would have secured a play-off spot, but a 1-2 home loss to Wrexham capped off a wretched run of five losses in our last six league matches, and with it 7th place. Bitter sweet.

The season ended with more bad news too, as planned upgrades to our youth facilities were cancelled in favour of a further stadium expansion.

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;yaH5ZBZkuEM]

An over-hit cross from the right, a precise back-heel and a striker finishing without even needing to break stride.

Unfortunately, the back-heeler was one of our defenders. Can anyone logically explain this goal?

Key Men

Sonny Hagner - The prodigy himself. Will be fit for the start of next season and his goals will be crucial to any play-off aspirations.

Alain Owona - The heartbeat of our midfield, and both scored and assisted with regularity. Eligible for Cameroon but wants to represent his birth country France, and I wouldn't bet against it at some point.

Shane Dunk - Another great season for the winger, as he returned double figures in goals and assists for the third season running.

Graham Phelan - Didn't score in his first 11, but finished as top scorer. He had to work hard for his goals but he still returned an average rating of over seven.

Next Season...

Another top half finish would be fine. I need to sort out defending though, we are an absolute joke at times and I have dished out so many fines to my centre-halves.

----------

Swindon Supermarine

2011/12 - Evo-Stik Southern Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2012/12 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2013/14 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2014/15 - Blue Square South - 4th (play-off and FA Trophy finalists)

2015/16 - Blue Square South - 1st (promoted as champions)

2016/17 - Blue Square Premier - 9th (resigned)

Forest Green Rovers

2017/18 - Blue Square South - 1st (promoted as champions)

2018/19 - Blue Square Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2019/20 - League Two - 1st (promoted as champions)

2020/21 - League One - 8th

2021/22 - League One - 3rd (promoted via play-offs)

2022/23 - Championship - 7th

2022/23

Charity Shield: West Ham (Arsenal)

Premiership: Chelsea (Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Bolton)

Championship: Newcastle; Bristol City, Sunderland (Wolves, Southampton, Leyton Orient)

League One: Newport County; Barnsley, Portsmouth (Bradford, Coventry, York, Stockport)

League Two: Notts County; Chester, Southend, Luton (Dover, Shrewsbury)

Conference Premier: Cambridge Utd; Northampton (Mansfield, Eastbourne Boro, Morecambe, Yeovil)

Conference North: Kettering; Droylsden (Kidderminster, Altrincham, Alfreton)

Conference South: Dag & Red; Swindon Supermarine (Hitchin, Weston-super-Mare, Maidenhead)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Lowestoft; Wealdstone (VCD Athletic, Bury Town, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Hornchurch)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Hyde; Southport (Eastwood, Ashton Utd, Ilkeston, Buxton)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Bedford; Flackwell Heath (Dunstable, Hemel Hempstead, Leverstock Green, Bashley)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: Wivenhoe; Braintree (King's Lynn, Aveley)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Dulwich Hamlet; Burgess Hill (Worthing, Chipstead)

Evo-Stik Division One North: Lancaster City; Frickley (Ossett Albion, Salford)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Rushall; Hednesford (Quorn, Lincoln Utd)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: Cinderford; Bishop's Cleeve (Romulus, Bedford)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: Woodley Sports; Wimborne (Hungerford, Poole Town)

---

FA Cup: Brighton (Arsenal)

League Cup: QPR (Arsenal)

Johnstone's Paint: Bristol Rovers (Nottm Forest)

FA Trophy: Northampton (Cheltenham)

---

Champions League: AC Milan (Real Madrid)

Europa League: Internazionale (Lille)

Super Cup: Sevilla (West Ham)

2023/24 Season Preview - Forest Green Rovers - Championship

Transfers

Media Prediction: 15th

Title Odds: 40/1

Board expectation: Mid-table

Captain: Al Bangura

Vice-Captain: Kenny Coton

---

Depsite being given my first seven figure transfer budget, it wasn't really a busy summer. Several first-team members in Hayes and Campbell left after their contracts expired, but I am happy with the core of my squad and would rather keep funds available for an emergency than buy for the sake of it.

Yassine Saidi - Mental stats are lacking, but his set piece ability should contribute to a few goals this season.

Jon Bamber - Signed from Chester, he looks a very exciting prospect. Will likely stay with the first team squad for now.

Ognyan Troev - With two quality keepers at the club already, the young Bulgarian will provide cover.

Excellent but a little too easy I feel. It may be a case of teams still looking to attack us due to having a low reputation, and we're catching a lot of sides out with quick wing play.

Anyway apologies for the lack of updates, have just moved house and still sorting out t'net. About a third of the way into the new season, and Hagner has just scored for the 9th consecutive league match (3,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1).

Halfway point and we have been nothing short of dominant...

fghalfway24.jpg

We've scored the most, have the second best defensive record, and most importantly, have picked up points from every side in the top ten bar Derby, including excellent away victories at Middlesbrough, Doncaster and Wrexham (who were unbeaten in 11), while also beating Blackburn and Swansea at home by a combined score of 7-0.

Thanks in no small part to the incredible league form of Sonny Hagner...

fghagnerform.jpg

fgowonabid.jpg

This is annoying for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I've been really mindful of staying well within budgets and this has meant the club is now in a secure financial position. Secondly, he's going to be worth a lot more than that in a couple of seasons. He has absolutely run the show again this season and will need to be replaced before the end of the month.

Hopefully he rejects the contract because it's a silly sale.

2023/24 - Forest Green Rovers - Championship

Season Review

Unbelievable, really. A season which started with hopes for a top half finish, and ended a single strike off getting a 100 point/100 goal double. Behind the ridiculous offensive antics of Hagner and a very settled defensive unit, once we hit top spot we never even looked like relinquishing it, even with the forced sale of midfield heartbeat Owona halfway through the campaign.

To conclude the season, Saidi took out young player of the year, I took out manager of the year and Hagner comfortably won the golden boot (I can only assume there is no player of the year award). There was a slight anomaly in the end of season finances however, as we only received £50K in prize money for winning the league, yet paid out £1M in bonuses, to leave the finances looking quite unhealthy afetr stadium expension expenses, although that should sort itself out with TV money.

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;DwWTGHBfsZI]

New signing Wilfried Zaha opens his account with a majestic 30-yard chip.

Key Men

Sonny Hagner - Some facts and figures regarding the 20-year-old German's season:

- Player of the Month twice

- Young Player of the Month five times

- 37 league goals (1st in league)

- 19 league assists (1st in league)

- 11 man of the match awards (1st in league)

- 7.72 match rating (1st in the league)

- Nine match scoring streak

- Six match streak with a match rating of at least 8.1

Simply put, one of the most dominant seasons I've seen from a player.

Diego Aguinaga - Arrived in January from Real Madrid/Castillo tasked with replacing Owona, and settled in immediately with a lot of class and composure.

Stanislav Vlcek - Touted as the new Miroslav Kadlec, the Czech stopper was an absolute rock at the back, and in midfield when required.

Jon Bamber - A really promising first season at the club for the teenager, with a number of key goals. Top flight exposure should do his development a world of good.

Next Season...

I've predicted a struggle after pretty much every promotion so far, and the team keeps on proving me wrong. Survival will be great, relegation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either, and I plan to keep with the young squad I'm developing rather than splashing out too much. A few experienced pros to have around the squad will be a target though.

----------

Swindon Supermarine

Forest Green Rovers

2023/24 - Championship - 1st (promoted as champions)

2023/24

Charity Shield: Chelsea (Brighton)

Premiership: Man City (Huddersfield, Newcastle, Bristol City)

Championship: Forest Green; Blackburn, Middlesbrough (Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Barnsley)

League One: Southampton; Chesterfield, Exeter (Bristol Rovers, Leyton Orient, Blackpool, Crawley)

League Two: Scunthorpe; Colwyn Bay, Cambridge Utd, Salisbury (Rochdale, Aldershot)

Conference Premier: Brentford; Shrewsbury (Hereford, Bromley, Burton, Swindon Supermarine)

Conference North: Grimsby; Farsley (Bedford, Hyde, Redditch)

Conference South: Dag & Red; Swindon Supermarine (Havant & Waterlooville, Canvey Island, Waltham Abbey)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Lewes; Maldon & Tiptree (Kingstonian, Concord Rangers, Needham Market, Wivenhoe)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Vauxhall; Hednesford (Gresley, Leek, Sheffield, Burscough)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Bognor Regis; Bath (Walsall, Yate, Rushall, Bishop's Cleeve)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: Bury Town; Redbridge (Wingate & Finchley, Thamesmead)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Ramsgate; Croydon Athletic (Godalming, Tonbridge)

Evo-Stik Division One North: North Ferriby; Stocksbridge (Trafford, Garforth)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Retford; Witton (Market Drayton, Rainsworth MW)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: Dunstable; Brackley (Sutton Coldfield, Rugby Town)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: Taunton; Bridgwater (AFC Hayes, Bashley)

---

FA Cup: Tottenham (Arsenal)

League Cup: Brighton (Chelsea)

Johnstone's Paint: Wolves (Salisbury)

FA Trophy: Dover (Southport)

---

Champions League: Barcelona (Bayern Munich)

Europa League: Shakhtar Donetsk (Bordeaux)

Super Cup: Internazionale (AC Milan)

2024/25 Season Preview - Forest Green Rovers - Premier League

Transfers

Media Prediction: 20th

Title Odds: 5000/1 (!)

Board expectation: Avoid relegation

Captain: Kenny Coton

Vice-Captain: Stanislav Vlcek

---

The promised land has been reached - can we stay there? The media says no, as do the bookies who have put us at astoundingly long odds.

We start the off-season on a slightly sour note, as club stalwarts Shane Dunk and Richard Higton leave the club after not being able to agree new deals. Both have agents who demand excessive fees and negotiations had been unsuccessful all of last season. With 392 appearances between them, it was a tough decision but neither were worth bowing to agent demands.

Next, Kenny Coton was promoted to captain, and despite having made 229 club appearances and served as vice-captain for the past two seasons, the predictable "feels he is being put under pressure by being appointed captain at such a young age" message came up. You're 22 princess, toughen up. The man he replaces, Al Bangura, gets another one-year deal as he closes in on 500 club matches, but he is unlikely to see much first team action.

---

In terms of transfer activity, we didn't do a lot, looking at quality over quantity and trying to keep wages down. Finding quality players was not a problem, but finding players that would improve the squad and not demand excessive wages was a real issue. It is amazing how many average squad players are on huge salaries in the Premiership, even in the sides relegated.

Club record signing Tiger Robertson joined for £9M from relegated Bristol City, and looks an outstanding prospect. With supreme physicals and 22 full Scotland caps at age 20, he has fully justified his 'wonderkid' status to date. He'll also allow me to push new vice-captain Vicek into the midfield.

Flamboyant midfielder and model professional Niki de Bruin came from Hibernian, with a price of £4.9M reasonable for a player with outstanding technical and mental attributes. Young Dutchman Martin Smits looks promising, and Greek left-back Dimitris Dellios signed on a free after several seasons out of the game.

---

We kick off the season away to FA Cup winners Tottenham in a match where we'll just be trying to keep the score down. Our first two home games are against Everton and title contenders West Ham, which sandwich a trip to Middlesbrough, a crucial fixture even at this early stage.

Unfortunately, both Robertson and De Bruin will miss the first three matches due to red cards picked up last season. What are the odds?

image-5-927997942.jpg

I've done it again, leaving a club in a good position to take over a club in a much worse state. Fulham are rock bottom on a four-match losing streak, bleeding money and packed with bloated salaries on average players. But for some reason I fancy the challenge, as they are a club I've always wanted to manage but the opportunity has never come up before now.

---

Morale is horrible, players are out of form and relegation appears a certainty, even at this early stage. My decision is further compounded with a 1-6 home defeat to Brighton in my first match in charge, while new gaffer Tom Huddlestone guides my old club to a memorable win over Liverpool almost immediately.

fulfixture.jpg

We switch to one up front and employ an 'anchorman' and immediately we break a long losing streak with an improbable win at Stamford Bridge, becoming funnier in the process too. The loss at West Ham was ugly (32 shots to six) but they are an outstanding side and clear title favourites.

fultable.jpg

We need a big clear out and a re-focus on youth. We have supposedly the next Gabby Agbonlahor and Wayne Bridge in the under 18s but neither look too crash hot, so the comparisons are probably quite accurate.

I don't like it any more than you do, Nobby. I'd also wager you're the only one who looks through my end of season league recaps too, presumably to look for 'Ricay and Newcastle Town.

---

Anyway, ten games to go, and the relegation race looks like it will go down to the wire...

fultable2.jpg

19th and 20th look settled, but we could still get sucked into 18th, although FGR at home next in my first meeting with them since departing may secure our survival. We also have an edge in goal difference which could be crucial.

Stoke have maintained 5th (and recently beat FGR 7-0) and West Ham are a point behind Chelsea at the top with a game in hand.

And just to illustrate the difference between Fulham's youth set-up and FGR's, this guy called George Weston comes through, who is 50 times as good as anyone I've had come through my youth teams before...

fulweston.jpg

Yet apparently "no single player stands out from this year's youth intake".

2024/25 - Fulham - Premier League

image-5-927997942.jpg

Season Review

My foray into the top flight with FGR lasted only ten league matches, as crisis club Fulham approached, sitting rock bottom with just four points from a possible 30. I accepted the challenge, and immediately inherited a squad packed with average players on high salaries, and a club drowning in debt. On a positive note, I also inherited Thierry Henry as my assistant. After a slow start, we settled on a more defensive approach and started the arduous task of picking up points.

We put together several unbeaten runs of five or more games, which slowly pulled us away from the drop zone, although we never threatened the top half. Highlights included taking four points off fierce rivals and eventual champions Chelsea and a win at Anfield, however the lowlight was exiting the FA Cup in the 5th round to fellow rivals QPR, despite being clearly the better side over the first match and subsequent replay. That and the injuries, as I suffered my worst run as a manager, to the point where I couldn't fill a match day squad without youth players.

The finances are misleading due to prize money, but the club is in a very poor state and it will be a summer of trying to get rid of some high earners and replace with youth. Currently we have a captain who "is willing to leave to alleviate some of the club's debt", which is all well and good except he's listed as a 'legend' of the club, so that wouldn't go down well. We have some decent prospects in the youth side to focus on as well, so it will be an interesting off-season.

FGR avoided relegation in the end, thanks in part to a hat-trick from Sonny Hagner at Old Trafford on the penultimate weekend. No hard feelings either, as I'm still listed as a legend there. Maybe I could have a stadium named after me at a club I'm not at?

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;sO_EOgDl4_c]

After a run of eight losses and a draw in nine, Rodolphe Moisan scores a memorable winner at Stamford Bridge.

Key Man

Joel Powell - There was only one who consistently produced in my short tenure to date, and consistently stayed fit (until he did his groin at the end). Powell always put in a good shift as a ball-winner, and showed a real ability to make a forward run and finish. Hopefully he won't join the ranks of one-cap wonders for England.

Next Season...

I'm looking forward to the off-season as it will be my first real chance to get stuck into the playing squad and back room staff. The best case scenario would be to get rid of some of the overpaid older heads and bring in some youth, however quite a few of the players on big wages are club favourites, and I don't want to threaten the ethos of the club too much if I can help it.

----------

Swindon Supermarine

Forest Green Rovers

2023/24 - Championship - 1st (promoted as champions)

Fulham

2024/25 - Premier League - 13th

2024/25

Charity Shield: Man City (Tottenham)

Premiership: Chelsea (Blackburn, Sunderland, Brighton)

Championship: Newcastle; Ipswich, Wrexham (Millwall, Watford, Chesterfield)

League One: Portsmouth; Colchester, Gillingham (Chester, Hartlepool, Oxford, Wolves)

League Two: Blackpool; Nottm Forest, Bradford, Leyton Orient (Crawley, Preston)

Conference Premier: Eastleigh; Barrow (Stevenage, Truro, Corby, Fleetwood)

Conference North: Cheltenham; Hereford (Bradford PA, Lowestoft, Morecambe)

Conference South: Welling; North Greenford (Wealdstone, Bognor Regis, Flackwell Heath)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Canvey Island; Billericay (Hitchin, Redbridge, Horshamm, Burgess Hill)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Chorley, Altrincham (Mickleover, Retford, Witton, Newcastle Town)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Hinckley; Havant & Waterlooville (Aylesbury Utd, Cinderford, Wimborne, Banbury)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: VCD Athletic; Enfield Town (Tilbury, Waltham Forest)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Kingstonian; New Mills (Chipstead, Whitehawk)

Evo-Stik Division One North: Ossett Town; Goole (Brigg, Skelmersdale)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Ashton Utd; Grantham (Lincoln Utd, Hucknall)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: Chesham; Daventry (Bedworth, Stourport)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: Marlow; Dorchester (Chertsey, Totton)

---

FA Cup: Chelsea (West Ham)

League Cup: Chelsea (Man City)

Johnstone's Paint: Salisbury (FC United)

FA Trophy: Dartford (Hendon)

---

Champions League: FC Porto (Barcelona)

Europa League: West Ham (Arsenal)

Super Cup: Barcelona (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Archived