The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 03/04

Ter

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

MacLean has a future with us imo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He at least deserves a chance in the first team to see what he can do.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haz5168:

The board is imitating the league...already 50 odd posts behind the tim thread icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they have played a match since these threads were started, so that is probably what they are all talking about.

Talking about Maclean

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Steven MacLean believes he is the only Rangers fan not mourning the loss of Ronald de Boer.

The on-loan striker reckons his Gers career is set to take off now that de Boer has confirmed he’s off at the end of the season.

Most Rangers fans had prayed de Boer would snub a megabucks move to Qatar and stick around in Scotland for another year.

But for McLean – who has hit 24 goals for Scunthorpe United this season – it’s the break he’s been looking for as he prepares to return to Rangers in the summer.

MacLean: “I believe there is now room at Ibrox for me.

“Ronald looks like leaving and Michael Mols is also on his way. Egil Ostenstad has left so Stevie Thompson aside, there is no real out and out goalscorer.

“It would be great if I could come in and do that job. I know I could do it but in the end it’s up to the manager.

“Ronald has been a great servant and a great player and a lot of the fans probably want him to stay, but from a selfish point of view it’s good for me he’s leaving.

“The door opens a wee bit more now and maybe the manager will turn to me. One thing is sure, there will definitely be a couple of spaces up for grabs.

MacLean has been a revelation in the English Third Division but he’s only ever dreamed of scoring goals for boyhood heroes Gers.

However, he will put it all on the line in the summer in showdown talks with Alex McLeish as he seeks assurances he has a future at Ibrox.

MacLean added: “I’m ready to come back to Rangers. I need to play football though, there is no point in me returning there to sit on the bench.

“If I’m not playing at Rangers then I’d rather stay at Scunthorpe or go elsewhere.â€

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

likely Rangers line up for next season?, i'll stick to a 3-5-2 although it's probably going to be a 442

GK - Klos

CB - Moore(if free of injury)

CB - Boumsong

CB - F de Boer(if he stays)

RW - ??

CM - G Rae

CM - A Rae(if he signs)

AMC - ??

LW - Lovenkrands(i'd prefer a proper winger tho)

SC - Arveladze

SC - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

+ theres alot more of them crawling out of the woodwork to post, another reason why it'll be gud to put them back in thier place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When exactly is that going to happen? icon_wink.gif

On another note, thanks are due in all sincerity to Gary Toner for all the ideas I've nicked for the Celtic thread and appreciation for ensuring that I neverhave to buy the Record ever again by posting all the Rangers stories on the otf. icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Late winner keeps Youths on course for the title.

Rangers remain in prime position for the SPL Under-19

title following a narrow but deserved 2-1 win over

Partick Thistle at Auchenhowie on Wednesday evening.

In a game that was ruined by a ferocious wind, it took

an injury time winner from Bajram Fetai to secure the

priceless points for the Light Blues.

The game was very much a top v bottom affair, but it

was the conditions that were the leveller.

Rangers had the elements in their favour in the

first-half, but in truth failed to adapt to the

prevailing conditions, sticking to their close-passing

game in an attempt to open up a tight defence.

The home side were presented with a golden opportunity

to open the scoring in 22 minutes when Jonathon Carter

toppled Ross McCormack inside the area. McCormack

himself took the spot-kick, but his effort was weak

and saved by ‘Jags’ goalkeeper Kevin Montgomery.

With the interval fast approaching a superb solo run

by Bajram Fetai carved open the Thistle defence, and

the Danish Under-21 International slotted the ball

home in 42 minutes.

Any notion that Rangers could now go on to a

comfortable win dissipated all of 33 seconds into the

second-half when Andy Rennie – with the wind at his

back – unleashed a ferocious thirty-yard drive that

gave Lee Robinson not an earthly.

The remainder of the game took place in Thistle’s half

as the League Leaders pressed relentlessly for the

winner. Several times Montgomery defied Rangers with

fine saves, but the antics of some of his teammates

angered the spectators.

Time after time the visitors resorted to time wasting,

aided by incompetent refereeing. One Thistle player in

particular collapsed at least six times during the

closing stages, much to the ire of the ‘Gers fans

present. Needless to say he was able to resume play

immediately afterwards.

With time fast running out the loss of two vital

points looked inevitable despite intense home

pressure, but in the 93rd minute, just when all seemed

lost, a Graeme Watson lob found Bajram Fetai whose

chip left the advancing goalkeeper stranded.

Three more minutes of injury time had to be endured

before the final whistle confirmed 2-1 Rangers win,

thus maintaining their three-point advantage over

Celtic and Hearts in the title race with just two

games left.

Team: Robinson; Jacmot, Coyle; Watson, McKenzie, Dick

(McMillan 45); Gilmour (Johnston 79), McCormack

(Fraser 57), Davidson, Adam, Fetai

Unused Subs: Reidford, Agnew<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to see Fetai getting a couple of goals icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

Someone above mentioned Robin van Persie.

He's probably out of our price range; but I'd like to see him in a Gers Shirt. I still have nightmares about the night he ripped us apart at De Kuip. icon_frown.gif He's got a bit of an ego though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf though, i think van persie is the sort of signing worth taking a risk on. like boumsong, he is young enough that you could get some good performances out of him, and then flog him off a couple of years down the track at a substantial profit. surely this type of signing is the future for rangers...

I saw Dowie at the Scotland Under 21 game and he looked pretty average to be honest. Your typical no nonsense defender and he lacked pace. Looked good in the air but was beaten by skill quite a lot. Not sure if he could cope with first team football yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scanlon Yess:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OWLSFAN:

the last people we signed out of Scotland were Donnelly and O'Donnell icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phillip Scott from St Johnstone mate. I know yer club better than you icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was so good I forgot about him icon_biggrin.gif. Scott signed in about March 99, Donnelly and O'Donnell signed pre-contracts earlier but only signed for us in the summer of 99 icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Killie1869: Who were they playing? Most of our defenders can be beaten by a 2nd division standard of skill icon_frown.gif

Anyone read that Arteta "exclusive" in the sun today?

Basically for anyone that didn't Real Sociedad want Arteta but can't afford to match Rangers asking price (4m) so Real Madrid who want Xabi Alonso from Sociedad are willing to finance the deal for Arteta for Sociedad and then deduct it from the Alonso deal

icon_biggrin.gif well i suppose that way is as good as any.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OWLSFAN:

Has anyone here seen either Dowie or Maclean in the reserves? Just wondered what Wednesday could be signing. I know Maclean is doing well at Scunthorpe, but the last people we signed out of Scotland were Donnelly and O'Donnell icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dowie has been on loan at Brechin City and by all accounts doing well, Maclean will be comming back and has impressed a fair few people while playing for Scunny, impressed a few times when he played for our first team last year.

Killie1869: Who were they playing? Most of our defenders can be beaten by a 2nd division standard of skill icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were playing a pretty useful Romanian side. All pretty pacy and skilful up front. Dowie looked a bit sluggish, but might do a job in the 2nd division. Big step up from Brechin though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Fireworks would be good, if Fernando is still around! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although he will be disappointed at new Scottish legislation banning fireworks between 11pm and 7am.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of his go off around 3pm anyhow

Dundee Utd 1-1 Rangers so far, explosive start so far icon_redface.gif Billy Dodds put Utd ahead in about a minute from a FK that McGregor had trouble with - but Thommo has just equalised with a goal from a Burke cross icon_cool.gif

only about 9 minutes gone, end to end, superb stuff icon_biggrin.gif

Archived