An FM Career - Now With Added Bitterness.

hursty2

HB Koge – September 2023

Sep2023Results.png

Sep2023Table.png

We started this month off in much of the same fashion as last month, 3 losses including an early exit from the cup. But the month ended with two massive wins, especially the 3-1 win over our fierce rivals FC Kobenhaven. It was great to get these two wins in as it looked as if we weren’t going to get a win from anywhere but then to get two in a row was brilliant. The two victories were all down to the return of Stefan Hansen into the back line, adding some much needed solidarity.

The transfer window ended with one more signing, Felix Dornebusch a German goalkeeper to come in alongside Jensen. So far he has been average but he is just settling in and has the right attributes to at least be a good player for the club.

The club is also in the midst of its second takeover attempt of the season, a Danish businessman looking to seize control of the club for around 1.2M. Hopefully he is a rich businessman that will pump some money into the club!

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HB Koge – October 2023

OctFixtures2023.png

OctTable2023.png

An absolutely atrocious month that saw us lose every single fixture, we really do look destined for relegation. The players just aren’t performing, which is glaringly obvious from the results. We can’t defend, we can’t score which means that we will never win to be quite honest. I’m really struggling to find out what is going wrong, perhaps another formation change is in order. I wouldn’t mind if we were challenging teams but we’re not and it’s playing havoc with the morale in the squad, not to mention my own.

Any suggestions?

HB Koge – November 2023

NovResults2023.png

NovTable2023.png

October really was a horrible month for the club so I was looking for us to bounce back in November. To do this I was looking for a change in tactic and I opted for a tactic that my own club side uses, it definitely is an unusual one though. It’s a tactic that relies on being very solid at the back whilst allowing the front three very relaxed and free roles. The two wing backs create width at the back but also are responsible for keeping the oppositions wingers at bay. The two defensive midfielders sit back and win the ball, then finding the front three as quickly as possible. The front two attacking midfielders also have a defensive job, closing down the full backs as quickly as possible. Overall the tactic focuses on a high tempo, high pressing game.

Newtactic.png

I witnessed the benefits from the change almost instantly, we held the ball better and looked more stable at the back. We got our first win in 6 league games at Silkeborg, a battling 1-0 victory. This then led us into the next game against the current league holders and we managed to pull off an amazing 2-0 upset, in the meantime setting a club record 3 games without conceding. The tactic appeared to be working how I wanted it to and now things are looking up.

HB Koge – December 2023

DecResults2023.png

DecTable2023.png

December was only a short month and we started it with a good win over fellow relegation candidates, a dominant 3-1 win. However, we couldn’t continue with our recent form against Kobenhavn. We were completely dominated and lost our first game in four, a 3-0 loss sending us crashing back down to earth. Now we have to wait 3 months for our next competitive outing as the winter break has approached us, what was that 500K investment for undersoil heating for then, Mr. Chairman? Pointless if you ask me.

Throughout the break I'll have a look through my scouting reports and see if there are any players worth signing, either now or at the end of the season. The building towards turning professional status starts now so I will be looking to keep the bank balance healthy, it currently sits at 3.25M. Maybe I can tempt the new chairman into investing more in my youth facilities and junior coaching but he didn't seem too keen last time.

HB Koge – March 2024

MarchTable2024.png

MarchResults2024.png

It is a long winter break here in Denmark and one that I am still not used to. I arranged some friendlies just to keep the players sharp during the winter months, results from these weren’t important. The first game back was a thrilling one against Randers FC in which we won 3-2 with a 87th minute goal, a great result. Next up was giants OB and we managed to hold them to a goalless draw, at their own ground! AGF were next up and we posted a scrappy 1-0 victory which finally took us out of the relegation zone but we were lucky to not venture back into it with two disappointing losses to round out the month. But finally we have put some space in between us and the relegation zone, for the first time in a while.

March also saw the incoming of some new youth candidates and there were a couple of decent prospects. Daniel Christensen is another attacking midfielder and there is also Brian Ehlers, a right midfielder with a superb first touch. Hopefully both will progress well under the new clubs professional status, which will allow them to train more often.

HB Koge – April 2024

AprilResults2024.png

AprilTable2024.png

It is definitely squeaky bum time here in Denmark and we currently hold a 4 point cushion over the 11th placed side, going into the last three games of the season. And that is a good gap for us considering the poor month we have just endured, with three losses and a fortunate win. It is time for the likes of Lee Cable and Mladen Cosic to step up and lead us into our third successive season in the top flight. However, we don't have an easy run in coming up against Kobenhavn and Randers FC in the last two games, which means we will have to take advantage of our next clash against already relegated FC Nordsjaelland.

HB Koge – May 2024

600Games.png

MayResults2024.png

MayTable2024.png

This month saw me reach 600 games in management, a huge achievement personally as I have never gotten this far before. I was therefore expecting a present from my players and they only just delivered with a win which meant we were all but safe from relegation and will play in the Superliga next year. In the final two games of the season it was as if the players had already gone on holiday, knowing that the job had almost been done. Velje Kolding drew their first game of the run in and then were smashed by league champions Brondby, condoning them to the second tier. Maybe it would have been a different story for them this season if they hadn’t made it into the DBU Pokalen final, losing on penalties to OB.

A season summary will follow.

HB Koge – Season Summary 23/24

35673.jpg

Superliga

Results 1Results 2Player Stats

My expectations for the league this season were again to avoid relegation and much like last season we did, only just. Throughout the season we were very inconsistent pulling off some massive upsets whilst getting hammered by sides that we shouldn’t really have done. Although you can’t fault the teams effort this season and we have yet again defied the odds by avoiding relegation and all this with a top goal scorer with only 5 goals to his name.

Champions: Brondby

Relegated: Vejle Kolding, FC Nordsjaelland

MayTable2024.png

DBU Pokalen

My team struggles as it is without the effects of an extra cup competition so I am not too bothered about our performance in this one. We were knocked out in the 3rd round against AB but I don’t look back in anger.

Winners: OB

Runners Up: Vejle Kolding

Player of the Season – Mladen Cosic

The young Serbian centre back didn’t start off the season well but has blossomed into an important role in the first team. He is very solid at the back but seemingly has a knack for goal scoring 3 this season, all from set pieces. He has been awarded my player of the season for his 5 man of the match performances and I’m hoping that I can keep a hold of him for next season.

Finances

The club is well off at this point in time with 3.5M in the bank, preparing itself for turning professional come the start of next season. This will allow me to offer more wages to better players and coaches, which will in turn help us climb the Superliga ladder. We are currently spending only 600K on wages whereas the bottom side this year spent 1.9M and Kobenhavn, a Danish powerhouse spending 9M per annum. We have done well to remain where we are.

Previous Clubs

Stoke City: It was a massive season for my former side, they were in the Champions League for another season and we hoping to push on in the league. However things didn’t go to plan for Deco in the league and he was sacked midway through the season for their lowly league position but he did manage to keep them in the CL. It’s nice to see the board being consistent with their decisions regarding managers. Van den Brom took over and he led them up until the end of the season into 8th position. It was clear that they were focusing on the champions league and they made it all the way into the final! Unfortunately for them they came up against a very strong Real Madrid side and they lost 1-0 but they certainly didn’t embarrass themselves. What an achievement it was and I like to think that it was somewhat down to my previous endeavours at the club.

Atalanta: They have struggled since I left, much like I did but this season was a better one for them. They managed a 7th place finish, narrowly missing out on a Europa League spot by 1 point. They also made it into the semi-final of the TIM Cup, only to be defeated by eventual winners Napoli.

Around The World

Premier LeagueLa LigaLigue 1EredivisieSerie ABundesligaAxpo Superliga

Champions LeagueEuropa League

What Next for HB Koge?

As mentioned before we turn professional next season so things will be changing around here. I really need to set up a good group of coaching staff and scouts because we really lack in this department. I will also be sorting out the playing group and getting rid of any players that I feel cannot step up into becoming a mid-table side. It might also be time to cash in on some of the youngsters I have brought in who simply don’t fit into the club but are worth a bit of money. As with the progression of full time status, new training regimes will be created for the players in order to get the best out of them as some of the young players progress’ has stalled due to not being able to train full time. All in all, the club as a whole should become better as a whole and be able to challenge for the European spots.

Hopefully you can see the benefits of going full time.

It should help me, the hardest part is getting everyone over to F/T contracts.

Would be nice to go for European spots as you hope for.

Gonna be a tough task!

Full time will definitely help. Just read through you career so far. Great read!

Cheers! :)

Enjoying this. Radical move from Italy to Denmark. Your like a better version or Roy Hodgson
Of not or.........

I'm the backwards journeyman. :D

Crazy career :D

The Denmark chapter has been particularly exciting.

Thanks, it definitely took a dramatic turn.

Yeah I have enjoyed the Danish adventure to.
You could really do with finding a decent striker. Scoring only 30 goals a season is never enough (especially when you're conceding 50! )

He is coming, I can feel it in my bones. :D

HB Koge – Season Preview 2024/25

Transfer Budget: 1.2M

Wage Budget: 21,120K p/w

Media Prediction: 12th

Board Prediction: Avoid Relegation

Managers Prediction: 8th

Transfers

Transfers-1.png

One of my busiest transfer windows I have ever had and it was much needed in order to improve this year. The media still rank us as relegation candidates so we’re out to prove them wrong yet again, when will they learn? Several players’ contracts ran out during the off season which left the squad quite depleted so the turnover of players was massive; let’s hope this doesn’t affect the team blend too much.

Malte ClemensHe was released from Bayern Munich at the end of last year so he clearly has some potential. My assistant manager ranks him as one of the best players at the club and he still has many years of improvement to come.

Gudjon GudjonssonAnother young centre back with bags of potential that will add to my already young squad. I can already see a pattern developing here.

Luis FloresMy most exciting signing of the season and one that has been on the back burners for a while, having agreed a fee early last season. I just really wanted to surprise you all when the time came. Flores is an explosive striker who will, if all goes to plan, become my 30 goal a season player – he did score 20 last year at the mere age of 17. A star in the making, perhaps?

Johannes JuntunenYou guessed it another young player that has joined this season, he can play all through the centre in midfield.

Hugo CavazziI desperately needed a keeper and I couldn’t find many quality ones in my price range so this guy was a massive gamble. The Argentine plied his trade in Wrexham, in a low English league but he is of Superliga standard, naturally.

Lennart MoldvaerHe will add to my strike force and will provide a different type of game to that of Flores’, I’m hoping he is the surprise package of the season.

Nermin EklundAnother keeper, this time a 22 year old who can improve and become better than Cavazzi.

Yassine YildrimI really broke the bank to get this guy, I was in dire need of a left back as my old one didn’t cut it. Against the odds I managed to sign Yildrim who is of real quality, although my fans are already angered at him after he claimed, ‘I only see HB Koge as a stepping stone onto bigger things.’ That’s fine by me; he will have to perform if he wants to cross that path.

Bengui M’VouleHe is a solid left back who will come in as back up to M’Voulle, I only expect him to be solid, nothing more nothing less.

TeamReport.png

This is what my team looks like now, a young side with quality throughout. Flores and Clemens are clearly the stand outs but it will take time for them to settle in so I am not expecting any immediate fireworks from them. I don’t want to be waiting too long for them to perform though, I really need results now and I’m not going into the winter break in the midst of a relegation battle for another year. I am a little concerned about the youthful essence to my side, will they be able to cut it on the ‘big’ stage.

European Championship, Spain 2024

Group A: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Denmark, Italy, Romania.

Group B: Austria, Netherlands, Slovakia, Sweden.

Group C: Croatia, Macedonia, Russia, Spain.

Group D: Czech Republic, Portugal, Serbia, Wales.

Group E: Germany, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine.

Group F: France, Norway, Scotland, Slovenia.

Euros2024.png

Euros2024DreamTeam.png

Player of the Tournament: Mbaye Niang

HB Koge – July 2024

JulyResults2024.png

JulyTable2024.png

An appalling start to the season as we were on the end of two thumping’s, 3-0 and 6-0. I can only hope that this isn’t a sign of things to come and it is just some early teething problems that come with a squad overhaul. We were absolutely terrible in defence and our new striker Flores was out with an injury in both games which meant we couldn’t score either. Things are going to have to change soon if I can challenge for a European spot this season. It looks a long, long way away at this moment in time though.

One new player came in this month, Wojciech Bochenek a right back that arrived from Leyton Orient for a fee of 120K. The ability to scout the whole of Europe has given me a massive pool of players to choose from now but I still can’t find high quality players on the cheap. Maybe I’m just too picky!

HB Koge – August 2024

AugustResults2024.png

AugustTable2024.png

Another disappointing month in the league and I am really dumbfounded on how I am going to turn this around. We’re really struggling this season, more so than the last and I supposedly have a better team! We managed to finally get a win against fellow relegation candidates AC Horsens but even that took up until the 85th minute to come through. I had hoped that this was the turning point but a 93rd minute goal in the next game meant a 2-1 loss and not a turn in the right direction. We got another win in the cup but we should have won by more so I am really disappointed in that as it shows that we lack any ruthlessness that will aid us in our apparent fight for relegation.

HB Koge – September 2024

SeptResults2024.png

SeptTable2024.png

September was a busy month for the club and that gave even more teams the chance to defeat us. I really am in struggle town now and I’m running out of ideas, I’ve even contemplated jumping ship but I feel as if this team can bring me some success. At least we won a game in the league this month, a 12th minute winner from Cosic handing us only our second league victory of the season. Before this we also got a spirited 2-2 draw against Viborg, a return to form from club captain Jan Budtz helping us on our way. We also took part in the DBU Pokalen this month, recording a good 4-0 hammering against lower league opposition. This has done wonders for our morale, the whole team had poor morale but now they have a more upbeat look about themselves, most players with a good to superb morale status. However, morale clearly doesn’t get results.

I'm definitely still a miserable *******.

Keep at it! It's amazing how things can turn around. Curveballs are what make the game interesting :)

Had a bit of woe myself recently. I just lost in the cup final due to an appalling offside decision (they had 3 players 4-5 yards offside) that saw me lose out on a domestic double. I was like :mad:

Keep at it! It's amazing how things can turn around. Curveballs are what make the game interesting :)

Had a bit of woe myself recently. I just lost in the cup final due to an appalling offside decision (they had 3 players 4-5 yards offside) that saw me lose out on a domestic double. I was like :mad:

I really do hope things turn round, sooner rather than later!

HB Koge – October 2024

OctResults2024.png

OctTable2024.png

The last thing I needed this month was to come up against four of the best teams in the league. It was to my surprise that we got 2 draws out of 3, whilst unfortunately crashing out of the cup. I see these two points as points gained that I wasn’t expecting, rather than more dropped points and to be honest I’ll take anything at this point in time. We were much better in defence this month but we lack any sort of firepower up front, Flores failing to make the impact that I had expected of him. As the winter break and transfer window approaches I’ll be on the lookout for an experienced goal scorer. I actually cannot wait for the winter break either, it will give me time to analyse where I have been going wrong and how I’m supposed to correct it. We really need to get out of this rut.

HB Koge – November 2024

NovResults2024.png

NovTable2024.png

November brought us more success than previous months, 4 points out of a possible 9 but with a good win over AC Horsens and a well-earned draw with AGF. A Flores hat-trick in AC game ending his drought and what a three goals they were, he showed his pace and dribbling skills to mesmerise the oppositions defence. However, even though we beat AC Horsens we now find ourselves below them at the foot of the table. They won the two games after us, 4-0 and 7-4, unfortunately for us seemingly finding some goal scoring touch. We’re now 7 points adrift of the 10th place side, OB who always seem to have a slow first half of the season anyway. The next two games before the winter break are going to be crucial to our survival and should we beat Brondby and Silkeborg, it will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

ACHorsensvHBKoge.png

HB Koge – December 2024

DecResults2024.png

DecTable2024.png

Only 2 games before the winter break and we were in desperate need of some points. Unfortunately for us we only added one point to our total which left us in the relegation zone and with yet another uphill battle on our hands. The point we did get was against a strong Brondby side, who had made it into the 1st KO round of the Europa League, we played admirably and deserved to come away with more than a point. Silkeborg posed a different challenge however and we lost to them 2-0 in complete contrast to the hard fought draw against Brondby. Yet again we remained inconsistent, or should I say consistent, consistently bad. I’m growing increasingly frustrated now but I really want to make the most of my time in Denmark.

HB Koge – March 2024

MarResults2025.png

MarTable2025.png

I’ll start off by telling you what has happened over the lengthy break and what additions have been made to the squad. I really needed some experience to come in and they needed to have the ability to change games. The first of these was Damien Smolka, the 28 year old Czech coming into the side off the back of a long spell with Koln. Unfortunately he got injured in his first friendly which meant that he missed the whole of this month and only has 9 games to make an impact. The next player to come into the ranks was Julen Diez from Spain, he will add to my strike force as we continue our search for more goals; we’ve only scored 19 in the league this season. March also brought with it youth candidate day but I was allotted a poor group of players. The only player to ‘stand out’ was centre back Preben Nielsen and he only has a 3 star potential, not what I was hoping for on this day.

Onto the results in March, we struggled yet again and kicked off with two deserving losses at the hands of Viborg and Kobenhavn. In both games we were completely outclassed and lacked any sort of fight, as you would expect from a relegation battling side. However, things got slightly better when we forced a 1-1 draw with Esjberg, youngster Frederiksen getting the goal in the 13th minute. It was next that we faced fellow strugglers OB, in a huge relegation clash and you could tell by the football that was being played. A scrappy game with no real chances was decided by a dubious 70th minute penalty for us, Clemens tucking it away with consummate ease, taking us with 2 victories of escaping the relegation zone and only 3 points behind OB.

HB Koge – April 2024

AprResults2024.png

AprTable2024.png

Well that was a much better month for HB Koge but you could say that for every other team around us too! We managed a massive 8 points out of 15 possible points and that took us to within one 1 point of AC Horsens and only 2 points off of OB. At the start of the month we worked hard for our two draws against two of the top sides, especially the 3-3 draw with AaB where we came from behind to lead 3-2 only for them to score 5 minutes after we took the lead. Then came the expected loss of the month, an early Randers FC goal consigning us to our first defeat in four games. We soon got back into ‘form’ though with a crucial win over AC Horsens, a dominating 2-0 victory. We looked in good shape going into the next match but AC pulled off an upset in the next set of fixtures, beating AaB 4-2, extending their lead to 4 points. We had to win the next game to give us some hope and we did so disposing of AGF at their ground, 2-0 meaning we go into the last month 1 point behind, with four games left. Come on HB Koge!

Tough half season ahead. Have you got any older heads in your team? What's your determination and influence values like throughout the team?

It's alright I would say but definitely not what I want it to be, when I scout I look for those with high determination. On the other hand influence it quite poor and I don't really have any leaders in the team.

Superliga 2024/25 – The Run In

Esbjerg fB

EsbjergRun-In.png

OB

OBRun-In.png

AC Horsens

ACHorsensRun-In.png

HB Koge

KogeRun-In.png

Out of that I would say that we definitely have the hardest run in. We have to play both Brondby and Kobenhavn who are in the top 3 and we don’t have a chance to take points off any of the other clubs around us. Esbjerg has a cup final to prepare for so that could mean a lot in the context of things; will they want to play a full strength side in the league? OB has the opportunity to take points off both AC Horsens and Esbjerg and if they do that they are guaranteed survival. The pundits are tipping us and Esbjerg for the drop, so let’s go out and prove them wrong.

Is it weird to be a nervous wreck all because of a computer game?

HB Koge – May 2025

MayResults2025.png

MayTable2025.png

Well, well, well, I’ve been relegated for the first time in my career and I can tell you this, it’s not a good feeling. To be fair to us we did battle all up until the end and it took the champions FC Kobenhavn to send us down, as they beat us 3-2 in the final game of the season. I was right in predicting that us and Esbjerg were going down, AC Horsens grabbing a win on the final day moving them out and up into safety. OB were safe with a game to go when they beat AC Horsens at home 2-1, leaving the relegation battle in the hands of 3 teams.

Sacked.

With this I was sacked because I had failed to meet the boards expectations of avoiding relegation. Unfortunately I couldn’t repeat the feats of the previous season, where we avoided relegation by a few points on both occasions. Now I’ll be looking for a new job but who knows where I will end up. Bristol City have just been promoted to the Premier League, their manager Terry Butcher winning the playoff final then retiring soon after. It would have been an emotional day for him.

I kind of fancy taking over a Championship club and getting them promoted, the excitement surrounding these seasons is electric and I would love to be involved in it. Spain is a country that I haven’t ventured into yet and the Basque club, Athletic Bilbao presents an intriguing challenge with their unusual transfer policy. Germany is also an option and some of the best youth’s I have had throughout my career have come from here so it would be great to be at the forefront of their development.

International management has come into my thinking but I never seem to enjoy it. If I do decide to venture onto the International stage, it will only be for a short stint.

Thoughts?

Archived