FM12 : Fulham FC Thread - Just Beat It

elgreenio

Welcome to this years thread for Fulham FC, a traditional family club plying its trade in the English Premier League. It's also home to not one, but two heroic statues. The maestro himself, Johnny Haynes the first player to earn £100p/w is now overshadowed by Wacko Jacko, forged in the hellhole of primary school by blind play doh crazed infants.

Note for followers from last year, there will again be a lot of video content coming your way, so if you have any specific requests or things you'd like me to go through just post in here and i'll be sure to respond.

Fulham-FC.jpg

Club Overview

Screenshot2011-10-08at194048.png

Screenshot2011-10-08at193550.png

Facilities

Screenshot2011-10-08at194101.png

Why Fulham?

• The chairman is ever-willing to invest in the playing squad and facilities
  • The stadium is in the prime situation with expansion pretty much a guarantee
  • The squad has depth in all positions
  • We now boast youth prospects in the shape of Kasami, Frei, Briggs, Trotta and Minkwitz
  • It's your job to see out the older key players and bring about a revolution stamping your own philosophies on the team
  • Fulham again compete in the Europa League and you're tasked with going one better than our runner-up performance in 2010.
  • The squad periphery comes complete with many sellable assets to boost your transfer kitty
  • We've got Bryan Ruiz

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Playing Squad

(awaiting screenshot additions)

Mark Schwarzer, Csaba Somogyi, Neil Etheridge; Stephen Kelly, John Arne Riise, Brede Hangeland, Chris Baird, Philippe Senderos, Aaron Hughes, Zdenek Grygera, Matthew Briggs, Rafik Halliche; Steve Sidwell, Pajtim Kasami, Danny Murphy, Marcel Gecov, Damien Duff, Dickson Etuhu, Clint Dempsey, Simon Davies, Bjorn Helge Riise, Kerim Frei; Andrew Johnson, Orlando Sa, Bryan Ruiz, Bobby Zamora, Moussa Dembele.

Out on loan : David Stockdale, Carlos Salcido

Goalkeeper

The sticks have been dominated by one man for the last 3 years, Mark Schwarzer. But he's turning 39 a few months into the season and it's time to start looking for the next keeper to take the reigns for the next 5+ years. That man may or may not be David Stockdale but as he's out on loan you have a year to decide whether he'll return as number 1 or you'll be perusing the market for season 2's starting keeper. With Stockdale out on loan you're left threadbare behind Schwarzer and if he were to miss any games you'd be looking at Neil Etheridge as Somogyi is nowhere near premier league standard. Your problem here is that Etheridge is away on national duty at inconvenient times.

Defence

Fulham's defence is rock steady and has depth in all areas thus this overview will be short. On the right you have the option of Grygera, Baird and Kelly, all of whom can do an adequate job. In the centre, Hangeland is the best player at your disposal so be wary of the big guns swooping in and unsettling him. The ying to his yang is Aaron Hughes who provides the bit of pace and together make the perfect stopper/cover combo. Waiting in the wings is Philippe Senderos who you may plump for in place of Hughes, both equally suitable to playing premier league football. Behind these 3 you have cover in Halliche, but note that Baird would be a better option, as could Grygera. At left back, Fulham's problem position for the last few versions of the game, we now have John Arne Riise who is solid and can hopefully recreate some of those wonder strikes we saw in his time at Anfield. Behind Riise is a star who has been rising since his debut at 16, Matthew Briggs. He could prove to be your first choice left back in years to come and is well worth holding on to, rotating him in for easier european games and some, if not all cup games.

Midfield

In the centre of the park is your captain Danny Murphy. He is your playmaker, penalty taker and still one of the best players in the team. He is however packing on the years and a suitable replacement will have to be found sooner or later. Marcel Gecov is more of an all round CM and doesn't yet have what it takes to fill the 'playmaker' boots. Providing the balance are Steve Sidwell and Dickson Etuhu. Both Ball Winning Midfielders by trade, you should have no hesitation putting either of them into your starting XI. Etuhu is more defensive minded and should be preferred away from home or against stronger opposition (that's if you don't include both Sidwell and Etuhu).

Attacking Options

I've added this section as there are a lot of players in the squad now who can play in multiple attacking positions (ML, MR, AML, AMR, AMC and in some cases ST). Your 4 to rotate, or try to squeeze into the same XI are Dempsey, Ruiz, Dembele and Duff. These form the base of your flair, creative players. Choosing between them, well, it's a case of going with your gut, though Ruiz is the most talented. As is the versatility of these you can play them anywhere you wish in many different formations, though you should take note of the 'swap positions' option. Of the 4 Duff is the only one who cannot play in a striker position, the rest can easily slot in up top. Clint Dempsey can also be used in a central midfield role if need be. Beyond these 4 players, you have Simon Davies who is out with a long-term injury who, when fit can give adequate cover. For now, you have Pajtim Kasami who fits into the mould of being able to play in any of the attacking midfield positions and as a forward thinking CM. He is a player with in-game potential so try to give him game time or a loan if you cannot guarantee that. Kerim Frei is your other hot prospect here but is far from having the ability to come into a league game but could show something in cup games against weaker opposition.

Strikers

For a while Fulham have lacked cutting edge and this season is no different. You have the pacey Andrew Johnson as the typical poacher, but he's by far the finisher. Bobby Zamora is your main attacking force and a perfect target man for your team. Beyond these two you have Orlando Sa who is a viable choice to step in when Zamora is lacking a bit of fitness or needs a rest. You have no other out and out strikers but Dembele can step in as another poacher, though again he's hardly a finisher. Ruiz and Dempsey can also step forward if need be. As for youth prospects, Trotta and Tankovic are your best options, but you wont find them banging in the goals for at least a few seasons, if at all.

For those who don't like long strings of text, here is the assistant managers view :

Screenshot2011-10-09at020913.png

Compared to the rest, we are quite an old squad with vast experience. It's part of your task in managing Fulham to see some transition from the older players to a new breed of Fulham.

Screenshot2011-10-08at193641.png

Player Duties and Roles

so cheating a bit but here are the players most suitable roles/duties :

Screenshot2011-10-08at194528.png

the reserve and under 18 squads can be found here :

Reserve Player Roles

Under 18's Player Roles

Formations

note that this is not a look at tactics as I want to delve further before I give any tips there. This is simply formation advice based upon the squad you inherit

[video=youtube;J0WhHh6s53w]

The Transfer Market - Scraping the Barrel

Screenshot2011-10-08at193722.png

As you can see it's very much a case of wheeling and dealing this season for Fulham thanks to the large fee spent late on to bring Bryan Ruiz to the club. Fortunately with some tweaking you can squeeze what you need from the budget, here's how to do it :

Selling

[video=youtube;yzArBF0Dct0]

Buying

[video=youtube;y7K5H2XMqkE]

Records

as per my thievery from another thread here are the current in-game records, if you beat a record post a screenshot and i'll get a user record list going. Bit of incentive to get your name up on the board

:). User with the most records by the end of it may (or may not, depending how generous I am) get themselves a copy of FM13 next year.

Screenshot2011-10-21at194858.pngScreenshot2011-10-21at194840.png

haha classy el greenio... classy... also.. why isnt jacko on the favoured personnel list :p

fulham are looking like a decent career this year what with hangeland and co still there and adding top quality like ruiz.. gecov and kasami interest me too.. briggs and frei seem like decent enough prospects aswell .. i will certainly be giving them a bash

It would be rude to not exploit every opportunity for a Michael Jackson joke would it not? Especially as he'll soon be cast into the river when the Riverside gets its revamp.

Anywho, first vid up, 2 more to follow within the hour

It would be rude to not exploit every opportunity for a Michael Jackson joke would it not? Especially as he'll soon be cast into the river when the Riverside gets its revamp.

Anywho, first vid up, 2 more to follow within the hour

They will probably move it next to the JH statue and make it move and dance when we score.

Just started as Fulham are you still doing this.

I am yes, though obviously I will wait until the full game is released for this to start gathering pace. Friday night will be the start of my game, at a wedding Saturday so that's going to be one whole day without it :mad:

lol.. mohamad al-fayed legend? pants icon?

erm, do your homework. Without Al-Fayed Fulham would be languishing in League 1 or 2, probably still with a terraced Putney End, he has completely transformed the club, whilst managing to keep the personal and history of the club intact. John Pantsil was a massive hero among fans with his lap of honour and all round gentleman nature. I have no qualms with him being in that list.

Oh and I think i'm going to steal Fabio's idea from the United thread of having a combined user records list, so will get that posted up. The only rule will be that you must provide a screenshot.

right then guys, today is the day. I'm working until 5 but will be in a girlfriend free cocoon of Football Manager sweetness. Will probably do my first few vid's live and then continue with how I updated last year with updates every session that I play.

Should be a real good game for Fulham, for anybody who takes on the challenge good luck and remember to come back and update us all.

I'm playing as Fulham in my network save so I'll be keeping an eye out here for what you guys get up to. Not sure how frequent my updates will be because I'm sure you know how slow network games can be.

Played my 2nd leg game against Kalju (3-0 from the 1st leg) and won 7-0 with some nice performances including a hatrick for Murphy (albeit 2 from the spot!). Kasami looks like he could be a great player.

Opted for the 4-5-1 and not sure how many signings I will make, I think the team is as solid as it can be with the funds available so won't look for to many additions. Kelly and Riise (midfielder) are both gone for 2m each. Nobody wants Johnson. I've only brought in Welbeck on loan so far, him and Bobby can fight it out for first team spot. Tried getting Thiago but he told me where to go.

Could maybe do with a RB with a bit more pace about him, but other than that I think I can cope until at least Jan.

I'm playing as Fulham in my network save so I'll be keeping an eye out here for what you guys get up to. Not sure how frequent my updates will be because I'm sure you know how slow network games can be.

Played my 2nd leg game against Kalju (3-0 from the 1st leg) and won 7-0 with some nice performances including a hatrick for Murphy (albeit 2 from the spot!). Kasami looks like he could be a great player.

Opted for the 4-5-1 and not sure how many signings I will make, I think the team is as solid as it can be with the funds available so won't look for to many additions. Kelly and Riise (midfielder) are both gone for 2m each. Nobody wants Johnson. I've only brought in Welbeck on loan so far, him and Bobby can fight it out for first team spot. Tried getting Thiago but he told me where to go.

Could maybe do with a RB with a bit more pace about him, but other than that I think I can cope until at least Jan.

Unfortunately I do know just how slow they can be. Be interesting to hear how you get on in a network game, especially when you'll lose out on a lot of targets to those better equipped financially. I managed to get AJ on a lower contract so he can stay for now :D.

I've started with my beloved Cottagers. Already i've upset Hangeland, trying to get rid of Duff and strolling through these qualifiers. Need to raise money so i'm going to look at your attached YT clips.

Many thanks for this.

I got lucky in that he didn't complain when I rebuffed Citeh's enquiry for him. Duff has become a vital little squad player for me, Ruiz and Dempsey both been on the injury table quite a bit so have had to use him. Will likely see if I can bring somebody younger in at the end of the season.

As for money raising it's really all about getting rid of what you can and seeing who you can get to take cheaper contracts. For me, Murphy, Johnson and Grygera have taken pay cuts for extended contracts so i've been able to tweak those savings across to the transfer budget. Though it has helped that Al Fayed has twice injected £3m into the kitty.

Unfortunately I do know just how slow they can be. Be interesting to hear how you get on in a network game, especially when you'll lose out on a lot of targets to those better equipped financially. I managed to get AJ on a lower contract so he can stay for now :D.

Doing ok so far, had a bit of a bad start in the league, sitting around 8th-10th (also beat my mate, Stoke, 3-0 :D), I kept chopping and changing my tactic so my team could never really get settled, but I'm quieting down on that now. Other than Welbs I brought in Degen on a free, 2nd game in and he breaks his leg, out for 7 months, brilliant. And a player called Rincon I think, some nice defensive mid stats for under £1.5m. Also got Wilfried coming in Jan, think he can do a great job, how are you getting on with him?

Storming Europe so far as well. Bout 3 games in to my group and haven't dropped a point yet, long may it continue!

ouch, at least he was a freebie. Yeh I always find that I tinker too much with my tactics in network games, you have too much time so instead of just sitting there happily continuing you find yourself getting restless between games and tweaking your tactics and finding some completely random tactic that makes it look more like a dot-to-dot than a team formation.

Wilfried has done quite well, he's my top scorer with 10 goals (though i've been suffering a bit and not really hitting the back of the net with great regularity) playing as a lone striker (target man - attack). He always looks dangerous and gets into the positions, but the composure isn't there sometimes to apply a finish. Have had a few opportunities to play him as a poacher with Zamora as the target man and he definitely gets on the end of things. For £2.5m i'm more than happy with his contribution.

Apologies for not doing an update video last night, there will definitely be one tonight with results and injury updates. There may even be two tonight if I manage to get a pre-January window and post-January window one done.

great stuff elgreenio. What are your views on Orlando Sa mate? What do you think his best role would be in the game? I've been playing him as TM on attack duty and he's been doing quite well chipping in with a few goals when some of the other strikers were out injured for a while.

my view is that bulking up the attacking options straight away is a must and unfortunately for me it came in Wilfried, another target man, meaning Zamora and Wilfried have the lone striker role sorted, with AJ as backup when I go 2 up top. I've had zero injuries to strikers so Orlando Sa has played a grand total of 0 games :D.

I've no doubt that he could easily step up for a few games to cover for an injury (as you say target man is his best role) but he'll be one i'm going to look at selling in January or at the end of the first season. If I have backups in my squad who are only going to get a few games, i'd personally rather they be young prospects

Interesting read elgreenio - cannot wait for the next update.

I'm playing FC Inter in the 3rd qualifying round. That's FC Inter Turku in Finland, not 'the' INTER.

Although why Frank De Bleekere is referreeing this match is anyone's guess.

Kelly gone for £2m to Southampton

Started a Fulham save yesterday but had very little time to spend with the game so only managed to overview the squad and set up the tactics.

Offered around Kelly, Halliche and B Riise as suggested above to get some funds and also might be looking to sell Etuhu and Johnson if there is any interest.

Squad for the first game (2nd leg of the Euro League qualifier):

GK Schwarzer

DR Baird

DL Riise

DC Hangeland

DC Hughes

DMC Sidwell

MC Murphy

MC Dempsey

AMR Ruiz

AML Duff

FC Zamora

Welcome to the forum liuzzi. I hope elgreenio doesn't mind me welcoming people on HIS story although I'm sure he doesn't. :)

although I created the thread this is simply not about my career with Fulham through FM12 otherwise I would be updating in the careers thread. I welcome and encourage everyone to use the thread to showcase their success (and more so, trophies I hope) and generally talk about the wondrous club that is Fulham FC

Kelly gone for £2m to Southampton

Exactly the same as I had, even though a couple of premiership clubs also had bids accepted. I can't help but feel MLG has gone a bit nuts again in his research and made Southampton world beaters not for the first time.

Started a Fulham save yesterday but had very little time to spend with the game so only managed to overview the squad and set up the tactics.

Offered around Kelly, Halliche and B Riise as suggested above to get some funds and also might be looking to sell Etuhu and Johnson if there is any interest.

Squad for the first game (2nd leg of the Euro League qualifier):

GK Schwarzer

DR Baird

DL Riise

DC Hangeland

DC Hughes

DMC Sidwell

MC Murphy

MC Dempsey

AMR Ruiz

AML Duff

FC Zamora

good stuff, let me know if there is any interest for Johnson as I may very well be looking to sell him at the end of the season, wouldn't mind knowing how much I could possibly get for him.

woo-hoo won first PL match of the season 3-2 against Blackburn. Quickly went 1-0 down (Yakubu) but goals from Zamora and Johnson turned it around only for Yakubu to equalise.

Brought Dembele on for last 20 minutes and he nipped in at the back post to give The Cottagers 3 points.

Now for an away match at Young Boys in the Europa qualifiers...

Ok so I'll give you an update -

September 18th 2011

P6 W1 D1 L3 GF 5 GA 9

BLACKBURN 3-2

Wolves 1-4

SWANSEA 0-1

Arsenal 0-1

WBA 1-1

In the Swansea and West Brom games, the goals I conceded were own goals which was really frustrating.

Against Arsenal, they didn't score until the 87th minute. I wouldn't say I was hanging on all game as well. Dembele missed a couple of really good chances and the end stats showed the same amount of chances for each team which gives me cause of hope.

In Europe, I've sailed into the group stages where I have been drawn against Sparta Prague, Mainz and Guimares. I've played Sparta at home and won 2-1.

AJ is out for 3 months injured. Ruiz has just scored his first Premier League goal for the club.

I'm disappointed with the start I have made and I'm conscious to keep morale up which is poor at the moment.

Thought i'd drop an update seeing as i just played my 19th league game. the season is going very well domestically. unbeaten in the league since the 3rd game and sitting 3rd (yes 3rd!) in the league.

screenshot20111025at222.th.png

Made a few signings but nothing major, Kranjcar has slotted into the team nicely and Wilfried was top scorer but hes had two long injury spells so bobby and AJ have taken over up top. Got rid of some crap and also brought in a new central midfielder who has kept murphy on the bench all season.

Here's the tactic i've been using, Ruiz has been awesome in that Inside Forward position on the right. The two wide midfielders swap positions and so far its worked like a charm.

Finally here's my fixtures to date. Hopefully the second half of the season will be as successful as the first.

good stuff Kirby, i'm using the exact same wing tactic (in terms of roles/duty and swapping position) but I havn't had too much chance to play Ruiz and Dempsey together as they've both had injury spells. Had Kranjcar offered to me so many times, just wondering if I should take him and maybe try to shift Duff. Had any transfer activity in January yet?

Ben that's unlucky man, at least you've stopped shipping goals and it just seems a bit of luck now with the own goals. Your europa league group should give you some morale-boosting wins as well hopefully.

kutgw people.

Amazing results there Kirby and elgreenio. I'm still struggling to find the time to play the game, can't wait for the weekend to arrive.

Has anyone signed Arne Friedrich btw? He's available for free and my scouts are saying he is better than Huges and Senderos, they also mention that some sort of ban issue should be taken into account, strangely I don't see any bans for him in his profile so not sure about this.

Amazing results there Kirby and elgreenio. I'm still struggling to find the time to play the game, can't wait for the weekend to arrive.

Has anyone signed Arne Friedrich btw? He's available for free and my scouts are saying he is better than Huges and Senderos, they also mention that some sort of ban issue should be taken into account, strangely I don't see any bans for him in his profile so not sure about this.

exactly the same, things keep popping up so I only manage 1 or 2 games a night but tonight should be lined up as an FM zone, as well as Saturday night (yes it's sad, but I couldn't gaf).

Yeh he's banned until the end of the season I think? I think it's one of those injury type bans, like we saw with some R.Madrid player recently (his name escapes me, god this is vague). He'll be a real talent though if signed and as you say, is definitely better than Hughes and Senderos.

elgreenio mate - what all leagues did you start your new game with?

still playing on the demo here as haven't got the full game yet. But the 4-4-2 is working very well for me. So far played 4 in the league, won 3 lost 1. Even the loss was a very good performance away to Everton and we were unlucky not to get anything. Zamora and Johnson are working very well together as a partnership upfront. Normally, AJ getting on the end of Zamora's flick ons. Must be the continuity that is helping the team as haven't really been changing it about a lot.

off the top of my head : England (L1), France (L1), Germany (Bundesliga), Italy (Serie A), Spain (Adelente), with Portugal, Belgium and Holland as view only.

I'm really tempted to go 2 up top to eradicate the lack of goalscoring, but whilst Murphy is in my first XI i'd rather hold off, slowly introducing Kasami though so him as Box-to-box with likely a ball winner should give a bit more presence, rather than destroying Murphy's condition after 60 minutes every game.

What's with the lack of full game, need to change that asap and get playing :mad:

Good updates elgreenio - I've looked at a few tactics on the forums and tweaked a couple to suit the team (as I try to do more often than not)

Won the last two against Wigan and Sunderland so I'm up to 10th with P8 W3 D1 L4.

Made a major balls up with a signing - don't ask. I don't want to tell. Let's just say it involves work permits. Big hug please!

wouldn't be one of those where you're a bit distracted and end up confirming a big deal for somebody who needs to plod off to Belgium for 3 years would it? Had a few in my time.

Got through the January transfer window yesterday so i'll update on my transfer dealings (though I think there's only 2 end of season bosmans to update on, as well as a few outgoings).

Nice to see everyones updates. Who did you sign Carlos? I've actually done the same thing in one of the previous Fm versions.

Had a hour yesterday evening to play, got everything set in training and tactics the way I like it and also played my second leg against Olimpija away in Euro League winning 6:0 (8:1 in aggregate). Was delighted to see how the team responded to the tactical setup. The 6 goals were from 5 different players with Ruiz grabbing two. Drawed Vaduz in the next round, shouldn't be too difficult.

Kelly has gone to Celtic for 2,1M. How is Dembele doing for everyone? Bayern has just bidded for him (6m over 48months), was kind of suprised as he doesn't look Bayern class with strikers and wingers they have in their squad. Was not sure if I should sell him so negotiated to 8m straight up to see how bad they want him. Have bidded for Dos Santos and Kara and made a loan offer with option to buy for Can.

I don't feel such a wally now - serves me right for swaying to si forums on players. He won't go abroad as I missed the deadline for loans.

Firmino his name. I think i agreed 11m over a period.

I'm currently mid table - my tactics are meaning I win by odd goal or lose by the odd goal. Scoring not a problem but conceding is. When Hangeland is injured, it doesn't leave me much. I don't rate Senderos.

I'm away for a few days as well so not back till saturday night.

Europa league 3 wins out of 3.

On Dembele, he hasn't really done it for me. I know he's a striker in-game but i've only ever played him on the wings and whilst he has the ability to beat a player and get in behind, his final ball and finishing leave a lot to be desired, even prefer Duff to him at the moment. I'll see how he does in the second half of the season then he'll be into the last year of his contract.

Ben, ouch. Mid table is what it's all about and hoping you get a kind set of fixtures or people screw up towards the end. 5th or 6th would be an amazing feat imo. I'm the same with the odd goal games, though I wont complain until they start being losses by the odd goal. Unfortunately Hangeland is just that damn good he will be missed whenever he's injured. Looking to the summer I may try to poach a centre back to replace Hughes or Senderos, currently thinking Bassong as he's languishing in the Spurs reserves right now.

My first game tonight will be Sevilla away :(, absolutely crapping it and just hoping I can sneak something from a corner maybe. Wouldn't be surprised if I got battered, though thinking I may do an update as i'm playing it, bit of live action.

good stuff, hopefully you've learnt a thing or two. Oh, and a couple of players I kind of regret not going after a bit more if you're interested : Xulu (RSA CB), Lucas Andersen (DEN AM), Andile Jali (RSA DM). Had a bit of an overhaul with our coaches last night as well, we've got 4 gk coaches (though 2 of them are masquerading as youth coaches).

Archived