Rooney selected for U23 teams at the age of 28?

Won't it be Team GB at the Olympics and not England.

It will be classed as team GB but will only be made up of English players, the other home nations were not keen on releasing players to play incase it prompted FIFA to push for GB national team instead of us having our own respective national sides.

No such rule.

Messi played World Cup 2006, then Olympics 2008.

They must have changed it some time recently possibly?. I did a google search and managed to find mention of the rule I was on about, but not that it had changed. It stated that all European and South American teams were restricted to U23 players, with 3 over that age, but only players that had not appeared in a World Cup, but all other nations, meaning those from Asia, Africa, North America and such were allowed to field their strongest possible sides.

Perhaps the rule only applies to players over 23 years of age that have appeared in World Cups, but if that's true, then Beckham wouldn't be able to play, and if he really has said that, then the rule must have changed.

I'm confused. I'm off to hide under my rock and stop messing with things.

They must have changed it some time recently possibly?. I did a google search and managed to find mention of the rule I was on about, but not that it had changed. It stated that all European and South American teams were restricted to U23 players, with 3 over that age, but only players that had not appeared in a World Cup, but all other nations, meaning those from Asia, Africa, North America and such were allowed to field their strongest possible sides.

Perhaps the rule only applies to players over 23 years of age that have appeared in World Cups, but if that's true, then Beckham wouldn't be able to play, and if he really has said that, then the rule must have changed.

I'm confused. I'm off to hide under my rock and stop messing with things.

You're quite right, but I think the rules were relaxed 20-odd years ago.

Archived