Create your own tactic. My point of view.

About this topic: Hello. And welcome. In this thread I'll try to explain the way I'm currently playing FM which brought me a lot of fun. Basically it's about creating your own tactic with preffered formation and watching games in full. Yes... I watch FULL MATCH, more about that later. If you're trying to find tactic to download and plug & play and watch with only commentary, this probably isnt for you.

I've being playing FM since CM 3 or CM 00/01 as I can remember, when Robbie Keane was a high rated youngster in Wolves and Saviola was „new Maradona“. I just finished law school and currently „resting“ (read: unemployed) so having lots and lots of time. Till FM 2011 I regularly waited for patch .3 and then I would wait some more on sigames forums for „diabolesque“ tactic and „diabolesque“ training and for next year I would be greatest manager ever. That kind of play is still fun, but given my spare time this year I decided to create everything on my own and play every aspect of FM.

Next I'll explain by sections TACTICS and my style of play which, as mentioned earlier, brought me most fun ever and success. Sorry for any grammar english isnt my language.

TACTICS

We're going to make 6 tactic total, follow these instructions for 1st one called „Home“.

Basic rule: More class you have in your team, more advanced intructions you can use.

Creating your own tactic

a) Formation: Choose whatever you like

Explanation: As much as „diabolo“ tactics worked and there are some amazing tacticians on these forums I always wanted to play some different formation, so this year I've chosen 442 Diamond (yes I'm a big fan of Ronaldinho (AMC) and Gattuso (DMC) positions.)

b) Philosophy:

Very rigid : High class team

Rigid: More class

Balanced: Starting point

Fluid: More class

Very fluid: High class team

What does this mean?

As I understood from reading, you can tell your team to play from very rigid (defenders defend, attackers only attack) to very fluid (everybody's involved in every aspect). What does that mean? In my opinion: extremes like rigid and very fluid are only for world class teams, because you're telling team more advanced instructions and for that you have to have a world class team which will understand what you want. So depending of class of your team you can pick how extreme can you be.

Way of Rigidness or Fluidness?

It depends on type of players you have. Take for example old Man Utd. with brother Nevilles on both DR/DL positions with Beckham and Giggs on flanks. Typical rigid team. I dont want Nevilles attacking or Giggs defending. Now let's see for example Inter with players like Lucio, Stankovic, Sneider, Maicon. All of those players can defend and attack, so I would say they're fluid.

Example in practice: Atletico Madrid. Let's say they have more Maicons then G.Nevilles. Ask your self? Are they world class team? No. I shouldnt play extremes like very rigid or very fluid. Are they above average team? Yes. Hm...I could play rigid or fluid. Do I have more 1-dimensional players or more ____(dont know the word) players? G.Nevilles or Maicons? I have more Maicons. Ok... I'll play FLUID.

c) Playing style

1. Passing: Direct or short?

When you take over the club and just before the season your assistant will tell you how gifted are your players in technical department comparing to other teams in league. So you have a best technicians in your league you should play short like Barca,right? In my opinion NO. To play short passing you have to have world class team, until then choose mixed (average team worldwide) or direct (low class team).

*Wet conditions: choose direct style of play because too many mistakes are made by short passing

2. Creative freedom: more expressive or more disciplined?

Again it depends on your club reputation and stature (worldwide): if you are Real Madrid give your players more creative freedom, if you're low level club keep things simple and play more disciplined. I dont see creative freedom as „are my players creative?“ question, I see it as „is my team good enough worldwide to give them advanced instruction like be creative“. It is advanced instruction that low class players cannot understand no matter how creative they are.

Example: I have very creative players in Shaktjar Donetsk but they're not world class players. Should I play more expressive? No, let's keep it simple, maybe I can put c.freedom on mixed.

3. Closing down: Stand off or press more?

Press more for home tactics, default or stand off for away tactics. More will be explained later.

4. Tackling & Marking

Home tactic more agressive tackling, default for away tactic. Marking default. Both will be changed during match depending on ass.manager feedback and prematch analysis. Will be explained later.

5. Crossing: Default, float or drill?

If you have high attackers put float, drill for fast attackers or on wet conditions.

6. Roaming

Again it depends on your team's class. If you have world class team, put it on more roaming. If you're managing low stature club stick with position.

Explanation: If you're best in your league but your team isnt world class I still think you should play less roaming, my theory is that you should have high class team to understand more complicated instructions and till then keep it simple.

d) Player roles and player duties

Let creator auto assign that, I think FM creators made it simpler for us to build good tactics.

e) Starting strategy

We're making our first tactic so choose „Standard“. My plan is to make 6 tactics total, later explained.

f) Setpieces

Choose whatever you like, I'll only explain my (decently succesful and realistic) corner routine for 442 Diamond.

1. In swinging or outswinging?

I put my corner takers to inswing corners (lost in translation right about now...). Meaning right footed taker on left corner. Corners are set to „Near post“.

2. Two of my tallest defenders attack posts (one near, other far post). Plan is to make a „diversion“ and then I put my best heading attacker to „Near post flick on“. Attacker scored couple of goals for me that way. Two defenders should stay back if needed, one midfielder lurk outside and one midfielder should attack from deep. Other attacker should challenge GK.

Ok, we finished making 1st tactic let's call it Home. If anybody is interested in what I'm doing I'll continue with how to make other 5 tactic and would write some more about pre-game playing and in-game playing.

Very interesting post Al Bundy. I think a thread like this is a definite and much needed plus on these forums. In my opinion a lot of the other in depth analysis threads end up becoming so complicated that instead of becoming more aware you become more confused at the sheer amount of conflicting advice. A thread like this with one mans approach to setting up a personal tactic is very welcome and I shall be following it avidly. Like you I watch my matches in full and prefer to have my own personal tactic rather than download someone else's and then get frustrated when it doesn't work quite in the same way as it did for the creator of it. Most of your approach so far mirrors my own but I already got a good piece of advice from your approach to Closing Down where I have tended to use Press More at Home while using a little more of the Opposition Instructions for away games as I thought that using Stand Off would create a conflict in my squad. I never realized that both could be options. Unlike you though I prefer to set up my own player settings as since FM2005 I have used a players personal creativity stats as a setting for him as I feel that it gives him a little more of a personal individuality rather than just having another player come onto the pitch to do the same as the one he is replacing albeit with a bit more fitness. I also prefer to use individual tackling instructions as I find that giving someone with 5 for tackling an instruction to tackle hard is asking for a red card. So I go 15-20=Hard, 8-14=Normal and 0-7=Easy. I look forward to installment 2 and by the way give my regards to Peggy!!!.

Most of your approach so far mirrors my own but I already got a good piece of advice from your approach to Closing Down where I have tended to use Press More at Home while using a little more of the Opposition Instructions for away games as I thought that using Stand Off would create a conflict in my squad. I never realized that both could be options.

I just wanted people to realize that press more should be used primarly as starting point for home games, and be more careful for away games and then by watching game and behavior of your players you can adjust your closing down. I usually have press more for all my home tactics, away can start with default or stand off more. I'll explain more later.

Unlike you though I prefer to set up my own player settings as since FM2005 I have used a players personal creativity stats as a setting for him as I feel that it gives him a little more of a personal individuality rather than just having another player come onto the pitch to do the same as the one he is replacing albeit with a bit more fitness.

Interesting way of setting players. For me, default settings are way to go - why? I can have a player with creativity let's say 15 but he's low rated player and he could get lost in all my instructions. I prefer to keep it simple. In my opinion default settings (roles and duties) are well balanced for anybody.

I also prefer to use individual tackling instructions as I find that giving someone with 5 for tackling an instruction to tackle hard is asking for a red card. So I go 15-20=Hard, 8-14=Normal and 0-7=Easy. I look forward to installment 2 and by the way give my regards to Peggy!!!.

Again I think that only "tackling" attribute shouldnt be crucial. Lots of things can have a role - formation, weather conditions, fired up player by team talk, referee. For example for home games I always tackle more agressive (+ opposition instructions) no matter how bad my defenders are at tackling.

Later in the afternoon, I'll write some more about setting other 5 tactics + how I scout opposition before match, how I play my matches in 15 minute intervals etc.

TACTICS (continued)

Ok... so if you followed my instructions by now you have your 1st tactic called „Home“. We're going to set up other 5 now. Just go to Team Instructions of „Home“ , change following instructions and save it under different name:

Home Control (tactic name)

Starting strategy: Control (changed instruction)

Home Attack

Starting strategy: Attack

Away

Starting strategy: Standard

Closing down: Default or Stand off

Tackling: Default

Away Counter

Starting strategy: Counter

Away Defence

Starting strategy: Defence

Why do I need all these tactics?

We made 6 tactics so we can have a „scale“ and also to put them in „Match preparation“. Preparation will be explained in PRE-GAME section.

The Scale

The Scale is for away games (from most defensive to most attacking): Away defence – Away Counter – Away – Home Control – Home Attack

The Scale is for home games: Home – Home Control – Home Attack

What does that mean?

It basically means that you will judge you teams strenght and choose 3 tactics from proper scale that you think are the most important for you to win a game. For home games you dont need to choose anything because it only contains 3 tactics, trickier part is choosing 3 tactics from "away scale". More about that later.

In my opinion you should never use away tactics in home games. Defensive line and other corrections can be made with shouts but more about that and changing tactics during match later in IN-GAME playing section.

Where are Overload and Contain?

I think those are extremes that should be used in rare occasions, can be triggered during game in some stages but shouldnt be specialy prepared or specially made as tactic.

About pre-game and in-game playing later! Be here. :)

PRE-MATCH

Ok...now we have 6 tactics. Let's get ready for the game. Few days before game we get scout report.

Scout report

I use scout report only to find out pitch size of my opponents and who's their dangerman and his strenght. I write it down actually (yes I have notebook for FM); it looks something like this:

Atletico Madrid: Narrow pitch, Aguero (pace)

Match preparation

Along with scout report there's Match preparation button in down-right corner of screen. Now we have to decide our strenght vs. opposite team and choose tactics to prepare for them along with „Special focus area“.

Choosing tactics for next match

Basic rule: Choose tactic you think will be good for starting and two other that are more attackingly positioned on The Scale

Now we go back to The Scale mentioned earlier. Let's take Atletico Madrid for example again as our opponent.

Example No.1

First let's say we're Numancia playing Atletico at home and they are favorites. There are only 3 tactics on „home Scale“ (Home – Home Control – Home Attack), so put them in match preparation. Preparing for home games is a no-brainer because there are only 3 tactics, you cannot go wrong. :)

Example No.2

Now let's say we are Barcelona, playing away, and odds are in our favor (you can check odds by going to „Club fixture“). Now you think...ok I'm playing away but still am favorite but not clear favorite. I'm taking look at „away Scale“(Away defence – Away Counter – Away – Home Control – Home Attack). I could start with Away tactic...if things go wrong I'll switch to Home Control...if that doesnt work...I'm going for Home Attack. I hope you get the picture. And now you've chosen your 3 tactics to prepare for away game vs. Atletico Madrid.

Example No.3

Let's say Numancia playing away vs. Atletico and they are clear favorites. I look at „away Scale“ (Away defence – Away Counter – Away – Home Control – Home Attack). Ok...I'll start with Away Counter...if it doesnt work I'll switch to Away...maybe I'll be chasing result so I'll prepare Home Attack tactic.

If things go wrong I'll always go more attacking, I'll never go on more defending tactic. More about this will be explained in IN-GAME playing section.

Special focus area

Wwfan made a thread about that (it's a sticky on front page), for those that cannot find it these are his suggestions which I follow:

Match I expect to dominate: Team Blend

Match I expect to win: Attacking Movement

Match I hope to win: Defensive Positioning

Match I expect to be a struggle: Attacking Set Pieces

Match I expect to lose: Defensive Set Pieces

Match I expect to be dominated in: Team Blend

Pre-match advice meeting

Earlier I said I write down info from scout report, till prematch meeting we have this: Atletico: Narrow pitch, Aguero (pace)

Now we take a look at pre-match meeting:

There are lots of info here, only thing you should remember(write down) are thing like opponents struggle vs. teams that play normal tempo, opponents struggle vs. teams that play deep defensive line, opponents play good vs. high defensive line and other information like that. So anything concerning tempo, width, defensive line, sometimes agression.

For example my notes vs. Atletico would say something like this:

Atletico: Narrow pitch, Aguero (pace), dont play normal tempo or normal width, Atletico doesnt like playing vs. deep defensive line

Having our complete note now we go to select starting tactic.

Choosing starting tactic

Example No.1

OK...we are Barca playing home vs. Atletico and we are favorites. Our tactics we've chosen in match preparation is Home – Home Control – Home Attack). Naturally I would start with Home Control tactic. But looking at notes I wrote down „Atletico doesnt like playing vs. deep defensive line“. Hm...maybe I could start deeper, meaning with less attacking tactic. So I choose Home tactic instead Home Control. Other information in notes concerning tempo and width is something I dont change pre-match, I will explain how I use that information in-game.

Example No.2

We're Numancia playing away vs. Atletico, they are clear favorites. Our tactics in match preparation are Away Counter, Away and Home Attack. Notes say „Atletico doesnt like playing vs. deep defensive line“, should I start with Away Counter or maybe drop deeper with Away Defence? No, I'll stick with Away Counter as It was in my match preparation. The fact that Atletico hate deep defensive line I'll use later while making in-game decisions.

Hope you understood everything.

Pre-match press conference

Pre-match press conference can affect your players in boosting moral or making it worse, you can put pressure on opposition players and also on your players. Personally, I never put much thought in them. I sometimes choose arogant (Mourinho) style and make comments like „Pressure never gets me“ or „I couldnt care less who oposition manager is“. Anyway do whatever you like, stay away from extremes like we're going to beat everybody. Press conference never influenced much outcome of game for me, I think even worst press conference can be fixed by teamtalk. Send your assistant if you're annoyed but I always do them, it adds more fun.

Next will be IN-GAME playing! Anybody interested in reading more?

Generally, I agree with what you are saying but, I disagree with your approach to fluid or rigid. I'm not saying it's wrong but those factors only form part of my decision. Normally with a middle or bad team I tend to want to be more fluid the more defensive I go. this is because I don't want a winger being too seperate from my central midfielders if they are playing defensively. I would rather have them attack and defend as a team/unit, but the low creative freedom and mentality means they are more cautious and don't take many risks.

Otherwise a good thread and I look forward to the remaining updates.

IN-GAME PLAYING

Ok...so we set everything up and proceed to match.

Basic rules: 1. Learn your teamtalk

2. Listen your ass.manager

3. Correct mistakes & global review of your game (15 mins intervals)

Teamtalks

If you're letting ass.manager to do you teamtalk you making a HUGE MISTAKE. In my opinion teamalks are very important. Teamtalk guru since FM 2010 as I remember is Wolfsong and he wrote detailed teamtalk guide for FM10 that works perfectly for FM2011. It's a huge difference when you set your teamtalks right. I learned them last year and had not problem since then. So go find teamtalk guide. There's a excel document somewhere on 2nd or 3rd page which simplifies things if you are lazy for reading Wolfsongs entire guide.

Assistant manager's feedback

Pre-kick off

To put things simple I listen to my assistant about what he's saying about opposition instructions (OI). So if he says „Going in strong“, I put these players on tackling hard in OI. If he says „We should mark tightly“, I put marking always...anyway you get the picture.

Exception: I never listen his instructions for dangerman concerning closing down and tight marking

After 15 mins

Again look up his feedback and apply opposition instructions as mentioned above.

Opposition instructions

As I said I listen to my ass.manager and adjust OI accordingly.

Special treatment: Dangerman

Only thing I decide by myself is opposition's main man. Again I try to keep it simple. Remember that note I wrote down about Atletico saying: Aguero (pace). It means ofcourse Aguero is fast attacker.

How to deal with fast attacker? Well...I judge my defenders and if they're not fast enough and in this case with Aguero, quality enough I put Tight marking: Never and Closing down: Never.

Yes, you read it right – Never. In my opinion it's impossible to mark tightly and close down fast attackers, they'll always stretch your defence or skip away from your defender. And from my experience with fast attackers when you let them loose, your team keeps their formation and those fast attackers run into them.

If a dangerman is slow and big, not fast, always mark them tightly and close down.

For tackling and show onto foot options concerning dangerman – listen your assistant.

15 minute intervals

Yes, as I said before I play match in full and 15 minutes is time period in which I ask myself questions:

1. Is my team making any mistakes?

2. Did my team play well during these 15 minutes?

I'm going to try explaining these 2 categories that go in my mind during match.

Fixing mistakes (during 15 mins interval)

Basic rule: I only allow two(2) mistakes in 15mins time and after that I have to change something.

Example No.1: Opponent's winger passes easily my defender once. OK...he's a threat. If he does it again...I have to change something. Solution would be - Opposition instruction for that player: Closing down always.

Example No.2: Opponent is passing ball too much around my 16yard box and getting easy shots outside area. After two easy shots outside are solution would be – Team instruction: tackling changed to more agressive, closing down to press more. If it's already set up like that, I use touchline instruction „Push higher up“ because I want my defensive line to push their attackers away from my goal.

Here are some mistakes I see in my team and how i generally fix them (remember: you fix them if you see them twice):

1. Opponent's players are having free runs and crosses.

FIX: Closing down press more, tackle more agressive. If it's already like that OI for player to close down always. If a player already has even OI set to closing down always, change it to close down never.

2. Opponent is having free shots just outside my 16yard box.

FIX: See example No.2 just above

3. I get 2 yellow cards in less than 5 minutes.

FIX: Tackling set to more cautious

4. My defensive line is getting balls passed over their heads and their attackers are going 1on1 with GK

FIX: Use touchline instruction „Drop deeper“

5. My team is shooting from long range even though I saw better oportunity.

FIX: Use „Work ball into box“

I cannot think any other right now, if I remember anything else I'll write it down.

Judging general play (after 15 mins interval)

OK...as you can see mistakes are something you can see every minute and you'll try to fix them. Second question „Did my team play well“ is something you'll ask yourself after 15 minutes have passed.

So...you can actually make mistakes but generally play well.

Example: Numancia vs.Atletico, we are Numancia. We're creating chances and leading for example but their winger is destroying our left flank. See...we're playing well, but will also try and fix „mistakes“.

How to judge did your team play well? Just use common sense. If you're Barcelona playing vs. Numancia and you didnt have 1 shot at goal and losing possesion, well obviously you picked wrong tactic. It's important not to panic and with experience in reading the game you'll get better and better at judging your team.

Example No.2

Numancia vs. Atletico, we're Numancia playing away. It's 60th minute and it's 0:0 should I be satisfied? or change tactic? Well...are they creating thousand chances, did you shot at goal or did you catch them on counter attack even once? Those are questions you should be asking yourself.

My team isnt playing well – what to do. My way.

STAGES: 1. We take under consideration prematch odds + starting tactic + notes

2. Ask yourself what do you want

3. We change strategy & touchline instructions to fix gameplay

Example No.1: Barcelona vs. Atletico, at home, we are Barca, strong favorites.

After first 15 minutes, we're struggling getting no shots and almost got cought on counter. Remember: we're not fixing „mistakes“ now, we are changing(or not) our gameplay.

Stage 1.

We take under consideration prematch odds = We are strong favorites

Look at starting tactic = Currently we're playing „Home“ tactic

Notes about Atletico = Narrow pitch, Aguero (pace), dont play normal tempo or normal width, Atletico doesnt like playing vs. deep defensive line

Stage 2.

What do I want? I want to create more chances and attack them more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 3.

Changing our strategy & using touchline instructions.

In team instructions we change from „Standard“ to „Control“ (ALWAYS CHANGE TO MORE ATTACKING, I NEVER GO BACK ON SCALE). Notes say they have narrow pitch, so I'll play wider and exploit the middle (Touchline instructions „Play wider“ & „Exploit the middle“). Notes say they hate normal tempo and deep def.line – I'll deploy „Retain possesion“, „Drop deeper“. Plus, I'll choose one of the following „Pass into space“ or „Pass to feet“.

Then...after 15 minutes if I'm satisfied with gameplay I wont touch anything if I'm not...I'll change again... I'll play more narrow and exploit the flanks and I'll change passing for example into feet if I've chosen into space last time.

Get it? That's about it. There are no strict rules, if my gameplay doesnt work I'll change it.

It is very hard to describe every situation when I change my strategy and which touchline instructions I deploy, I will make another example that's easiest for you to see how I fix gameplay during game.

Another example just to clear things up

We're Numancia playing Atletico away, they're clear favorites.

We're starting with „Away defensive“ tactic.

Notes about Atletico: Atletico = Narrow pitch, Aguero (pace), dont play normal tempo or normal width, Atletico doesnt like playing vs. deep defensive line

FIRST 15 MINS

We didnt get 1 shot at goal, but Atletico didnt either. – I'm not changing anything.

15-30 MINS

We're 1:0 down. This aint working. Time for change: Strategy to „standard“, touchline instruction applied: Play wider, exploit middle, pass to feet, drop deeper.

30-45 MINS

Still strugling, but Atletico didnt have clear chance in this 15mins. – I'm not changing anything.

45-60 MINS

There was a corner and we level. 1:1 – I'm not changing anything except applying „Retain possesion“ to provoke Atletico and generally I'm satisfied with 1:1

60-75

They are ahead again! 2:1 for Atletico. It's 15 minutes till end! Strategy to „Attack“, changing Play wider, exploit middle, pass to feet, drop deeper to Play narrow, exploit flanks, pass into space and off with drop deeper.

75-90

We level 2:2 and Numancia lived happily ever after. :)

In the end

In the end you'll play this game however you want, I just felt to share my way which brought me alot of joy. I didnt bring anything revolutionary but maybe somebody will pick something up, like I did for year on these forums.

Enjoy.

P.S. If you never watch full match, you would be amazed reality of movement and actions in game.

Al Bundy out.

another good thread. read a few of these tonight as i'm taking a short break from playing.

creative freedom: i always read this was to what extent you want to be OBEYED. and i want to be obeyed. if i have my front 3 set to high TTB and low crosses, i want them to stick to this so always have low CF even for the most creative of players.

i, too, find a lot of enjoyment from creating my own tactics. half the game is lost IMO downloading someone else's. i'm sticking vaguely closely to the TC in my current game, playing an attacking 4312 and i dont tweak ingame, never really have done. if we're a goal or two up, great. i we're a goal or two down then i'm keeping it on attack, it's a no-brainer.

i also watch full games for about a half season or until there's nothing left i can learn about my formation, players and player roles. if i bring in a couple of fresh faces then i'll go back to watching full games.

b) Philosophy:

Very rigid : High class team

Rigid: More class

Balanced: Starting point

Fluid: More class

Very fluid: High class team

What does this mean?

As I understood from reading, you can tell your team to play from very rigid (defenders defend, attackers only attack) to very fluid (everybody's involved in every aspect). What does that mean? In my opinion: extremes like rigid and very fluid are only for world class teams, because you're telling team more advanced instructions and for that you have to have a world class team which will understand what you want. So depending of class of your team you can pick how extreme can you be.

This is an excellent thread but I don't quite agree with this section and I will explain why.

To me Very Rigid is more of a philosophy for 'low-class' teams and Very Fluid is a philosophy for high class teams. This is because in order to play fluidly you must have players with excellent creativity, decisions, positioning, off the ball, etc. Mental stats. They have to be in the right place at the right time without you simply telling them exactly where to be. Players with poor mental ability cannot be given this kind of fluid system because they will constantly be in a bad position. Naturally, you would want to give these players a very specific set of instructions and tell them that they cannot deviate from that. This is because as the tactician, we know we are smarter than them. For players who are not intelligent on the pitch we must create space tactically, rather than trying to allow players with poor intelligence to create that space themselves.

If you play on rigid philosophies, you have to be excellent at creating space tactically and you must be willing to alter your tactic throughout the match as you will be predictable. In fluid philosophies, with great players, you simply tell them how attacking they should be and let them create their own space. If you put great players on a very rigid philosophy you are restricting their ability to 'WOW' you with great attacking moves that you didn't think of in your tactic. You can be 'less brilliant' as a tactician and simply put your players in a position to succeed.

This is an excellent thread but I don't quite agree with this section and I will explain why.

To me Very Rigid is more of a philosophy for 'low-class' teams and Very Fluid is a philosophy for high class teams. This is because in order to play fluidly you must have players with excellent creativity, decisions, positioning, off the ball, etc. Mental stats. They have to be in the right place at the right time without you simply telling them exactly where to be. Players with poor mental ability cannot be given this kind of fluid system because they will constantly be in a bad position. Naturally, you would want to give these players a very specific set of instructions and tell them that they cannot deviate from that. This is because as the tactician, we know we are smarter than them. For players who are not intelligent on the pitch we must create space tactically, rather than trying to allow players with poor intelligence to create that space themselves.

If you play on rigid philosophies, you have to be excellent at creating space tactically and you must be willing to alter your tactic throughout the match as you will be predictable. In fluid philosophies, with great players, you simply tell them how attacking they should be and let them create their own space. If you put great players on a very rigid philosophy you are restricting their ability to 'WOW' you with great attacking moves that you didn't think of in your tactic. You can be 'less brilliant' as a tactician and simply put your players in a position to succeed.

OK...I see your point there. But still IMO, balanced philosophy is starting point with sliders being "in the middle" and moving "in balanced" way as you change strategy for example from standard to attacking. As I see it players understand how to play particular position in balanced way...example average player knows how to play winger in average way with sliders being balanced and if I expect him to play more attacking average player will understand it best if i move sliders in "balanced" way. Balanced way is easier for average player to understand.

Every going to extremes like rigid or fluid expects from player to understand bigger jumps in sliders and average players arent able to understand that. Well at least that's my opinion how match engine is made - average player will understand best instruction if they're in "middle" and if changes are made in "balanced" way. Better players you have, you can take more risk (going in extremes) and more risk - means better results.

OK...I see your point there. But still IMO, balanced philosophy is starting point with sliders being "in the middle" and moving "in balanced" way as you change strategy for example from standard to attacking. As I see it players understand how to play particular position in balanced way...example average player knows how to play winger in average way with sliders being balanced and if I expect him to play more attacking average player will understand it best if i move sliders in "balanced" way. Balanced way is easier for average player to understand.

Every going to extremes like rigid or fluid expects from player to understand bigger jumps in sliders and average players arent able to understand that. Well at least that's my opinion how match engine is made - average player will understand best instruction if they're in "middle" and if changes are made in "balanced" way. Better players you have, you can take more risk (going in extremes) and more risk - means better results.

I just don't think that's the way the game works. I don't think Rigid philosophies require any more understanding from players. It just means they adhere to your mentality and other settings more strictly.

I just don't think that's the way the game works. I don't think Rigid philosophies require any more understanding from players. It just means they adhere to your mentality and other settings more strictly.

Well...that's my theory. Interesting how this forum can make you think whole day about tactics in a computer game. :)

Archived