FM11: Official AFC Ajax thread: Let's get that third star!

waldywaldy

Whenever players are available on frees I go a little too willy nilly and sign a bunch.

I brought in Diakhate, Zuiverloon, a couple youngsters. I have setup a tactic to dominate possession, it's a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond. Then an away/counter tactic, for the CL stages. It's weird and has an AMC,AMR, ST..hopefully it'll help me get over the hump in the CL. The AMR is set to playmaker and is the main outlet so I've been retraining Ganso for that role. It got me draws in the pre-season with Madrid and City away from home.

Won the JCS 4-1, el Hamdoui I was set to left go but after Bony had a bad pre-season and he scored 2 and assisted 1, he'll start.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siem de Jong rejected contract from Genoa and it seems he's staying put. Furthermore, he was unhappy with me about "pushing him out of the team". I tried my best to find "I'm not a villain, blame chairman, he's the one who accepted the freakin' bid" but it appears there's no such option, so once again management (me) had to take blame for boards decision, apologize nicely and assure that nothing like that will ever occur again.

Next it was time to play Dutch Super Cup. 3 minutes played and horrible tackle from Enoh deserves him a red card. Well, if you wanted to do something else with your night than play football, you should've just tell me... Nevertheless, with 12 minutes played, it was 2-0 for Ajax. Feyenoord looked shell-shocked and my counter-attacking game ripped their defence apart. After 90 minutes my 10-men squad had beaten the hell out of my main rivals: 6-0 (Sulejmani 2, El Hamdaoui 2, Ebecilio, Vertonghen). It looks that I've managed to create an effective tactic for equal/stronger teams that come against me with attacking settings. Same tactic helped me to punish Roma, Chelsea and AC Milan last season. It was great to watch on screen as well - if you are familiar with Dortmund's style of play IRL. Their team moves very quickly to counter attacks and suddenly there's acres of space, 3 against 3 or even 4-3 situations and it almost always ends with a strike on target.

steakfaced, while I'm known for being very inactive in transfer markets, I really don't understand this Summer AI transfer decisions in my save. Most of the clubs are the same, if not weaker than last season. I don't disagree with selling star players as such, but you have to have somebody to fill the place with. PSV bought 2 central midfielders (~£3m each). Fair enough, but their main problem was attack. Feyenoord bought Boymans for £3,1m. Ridiculous price for average Eredivisie striker (8 goals last season). Groningen sold Granqvist, but didn't make any significant signing to replace their defensive leader.

Well, at least half of my team are still U-21 players who are developing with first team football, so I've got every reason to believe that they're better than last season, but what the others are hoping for, I don't know.

Another fact that's not helping much - 3 teams got relegated last season (Willem II, De Graafschap, Excelsior). RKC, Telstar and Almere City were promoted. As newly promoted teams are always a lot weaker, it suggests that for decent teams relegation battle becomes easier and for title contesters it's easier to get all 3 points.

And don't underestimate El Hamdaoui. His final tally for me was 28 last season. Sulejmani got 21.

I sold Siem first season for about 6m, and 50% next sale I believe. That year he scored 20 and assisted 18 for Bremen :D

A newly promoted team was drawing with me 1-1 after 80 minutes until I pulled out a 3-1 squeaker. But I agree, the AI signings and management is abysmal, it's part of what makes this game too "easy" sometimes.

August 13th 2011: PSV-Ajax 2:4 (El Hamdaoui 2, Vertonghen, Sulejmani)

PSV took 2-1 lead just before half-time, but classic "want to see more from you" team talk got the job done perfectly at half time. As I said, PSV attack is their main problem and they brought Jacob Mulenga from Utrecht as their main striker. OK, Mulenga scored his firstgoal against me, but really, he's not a first choice striker for a club like PSV by any means.

Meanwhile, Shakhtar made a £8,5m bid for Siem de Jong and my chairman was once again happy to accept the bid. This time Siem accepted Shakhtar's offer and transfer was completed. Looks like I've been able to keep all other key players, my £10m price tags are more than most of clubs are ready to pay.

Sunderland made an offer for Davy Klaassen, but I'd like to keep him. I regard him as the best from Klaassen-Bartels-Boere bunch.

Man City tries to buy Boilesen, but his reputation is still low and in-game value between £1-2m, so £2-4m bids from ManC are not attractive for me.

So, I've got a strong leader in all lines and I also made following tutoring pairs:

Stekelenburg - Berrevoets

Vertonghen - Schenk

Enoh - Sporkslede

El Hamdaoui - Klaassen

Cvitanich - Boere

Let's see how these things turn out.

@Draakon

I let Boileson go for like 2.4m and 50% next sale to Arsenal. He's lit up over there and averaged 7+ each season so far. It's a shame, though, that Vermaelen and Aldereweireld are only valued around 4m each, both on long term contracts. I made asking price 11m and it keeps bidders away.

Defeated Vitesse 2-1 and Roda 4-1. I'm pleased to win 4 first games, but somewhat concerned that I've conceded a goal in every game so far.

Transfer window closed and I managed to keep all other key players.

Champions League groups were drawn and this is a tough one:

Manchester United

Ajax

Schalke

Udinese

Pretty much the toughest possible combination, I'll be pleased to finish 3rd, and some sort of intervention from higher powers is needed to qualify.

October 2011.

Eredivisie: 7 straight wins to start the season with, so I can't really complain. Last wins against Almere City and Heracles. El Hamdaoui has scored 7 in 5 games. Mats Rits scored his first league goal against Heracles :)

But I'm still not happy with the way team is playing and Stekelenburg hasn't still had a clean sheet this season. Only game without conceding was 2-0 against newly promoted Telstar and Vermeer was in the goal this time.

Champions League: 0-1 defeat from Udinese (away) and 0-1 defeat from ManU (home). We didn't play poorly, but conceded both goals in 2nd half and couldn't use our few chances. ManU defeat was especially harsh because Hernandez scored just in 89. minute. Udinese and ManU have 6 points, Ajax and Schalke 0, so next two games against Schalke will be decisive in terms of who's going to claim 3rd spot.

Signed two good Argentinian 18 year old DM/CMs who I plan to integrate quickly, I also signed Angel di Maria for about 8m. I was iffy about it, but he actually agreed to come over so I couldn't say no. Unfortunately, he's CL-Locked.

After a 2-1 away QF win, I stomped Chelsea 3-1 at home. Just drew 0-0 at home vs. Porto without much doing, while the winner faces the winner of Madrid-Barca. Barca won 1-0 away.

Won the dutch cup again, and the league, third year running. Finished runner up, in semi's, and now in semi's again in the CL. Plan to do a lot of shipping off of players in the off-season as I've let my team get way too bloated.

November 2011

League season is going on OK, but lost 1:2 to Feyenoord. Otherwise the team has found its rhythm from last season, last two games were 4:1 against NEC and 5:0 against VVV Venlo.

Interesting season, PSV had poor year in 2010/2011 and they don't have much better season now - still around 6-7. in the table and few good points behind leaders. ADO Den Haag meanwhile is having a great run, staying in top 3 for a long period and is now 5th with 13 games played.

El Hamdaoui is once again having a tremendous season, 11 goals from 10 league games. De Zeeuw has contributed 6 goals.

I started to introduce Schenk, Denswil and Klaassen to first team.

Needed to turn things around in CL and did it with 3:1 and 2:1 wins against Schalke. Table now:

Udinese 9

ManU 9

Ajax 6

Schalke 0

Next two games are crucial and I hope that Schalke could do something against leaders.

Personally I'd wait untill FM2012 is released, but I can imagine you wouldn't have the patience :). They do have a really decent squad with lots of potential.

I always wait for the first patch or two of FM2012 as last year I think man marking was so broken.

I managed to beat Porto in the away leg, I believe 2-1. almost a month after my season ends, I have to schedule friendlies until the CL Final, I face Barca... who I beat in the QF last year.

For me FM starts in February, with 3rd patch and database update. To be honest, when most bugs are removed with 2nd patch it's already January and you'd like to start big save with updated database, then it's better to wait until February. So FM11 isn't getting old for few months yet.

For me FM starts in February, with 3rd patch and database update. To be honest, when most bugs are removed with 2nd patch it's already January and you'd like to start big save with updated database, then it's better to wait until February. So FM11 isn't getting old for few months yet.

so you've only been playing 11 for a few months? nice. I'm the same way but usually can't hold off.

in other most exciting news! I won the CL Final 2-1 a.e.t. Bony scored in the 82nd and Ganso won it in around 110 I believe. estatic.

so you've only been playing 11 for a few months? nice. I'm the same way but usually can't hold off.

in other most exciting news! I won the CL Final 2-1 a.e.t. Bony scored in the 82nd and Ganso won it in around 110 I believe. estatic.

Usually I sniff around a bit to see what's new when new version is out, but as I know it's too buggy at the beginning, I wait until 3rd patch to start my big Ajax save.

About my save. Eredivisie is going fine, El Hamdaoui scores like a beast and we're still up front, but Groningen and AZ are not willing to give up the fight.

CL ends with group stage this season. I needed some points against Udinese and ManU, but managed just 1-1 draw in both games and although Schalke gave me a hand and took some points from both of other teams, my 8 points were still only good enough for 3rd place and UEFA Cup.

I got drawn against Feyenoord in Dutch Cup 4th round, it's gonna be a tough battle and in the end of December it's clear what I have left to play for in second half of the season.

What's your lineup?

I think I'm done with this save till next FM comes out I'll do another Ajax one possibly...my most recent save got corrupted because I accidentally left my laptop on. The previous save is a few games back but ruined my 10 game win streak, CBA to follow it up.

Atleast this gives me time to focus on my life. :D

January 2012

Lost to Feyenoord in Dutch Cup 4th round. 0-1. I've lost both games now to them, one in league and one in cup. Not a good feeling. Bounced back with 3-1 league win against Twente, which was equally tough game. I'm now 5 points clear of AZ and Groningen. Feyenoord is 4th and already 12 points behind, so when 2nd half of the season begins, it looks it's between Ajax, Groningen and AZ.

Didn't plan to sell any players. Leverkusen came with £8,25m offer for Anita which was tempting, but I had to say no (mostly because DL is my least covered position anyway). Bayern came with £10,75m offer for Eriksen which I had to accept. His final game will be league encounter against PSV. But I feel Mats Rits is almost ready to step up and fill attacking midfielder role with Lodeiro.

Sulejmani and El Hamdaoui got nasty injuries, but fortunately it's winter break and they should be fit in early February. Davy Klaassen, however, damaged his cruciate ligaments and is out for 8-10 months. Too bad, I had big hopes about him. However, this made me consider AS Monaco £3m bid for Cvitanich - normally I'd accept, but it would leave me with only one real striker (El Hamdaoui) and with Klaassen badly injured, virtually no cover for him.

Following tutoring pairings worked out well:

Vertonghen - Schenk

Cvitanich - Boere

Stekelenburg - Berrevoets (worked very well, Berrevoets has developed significantly, has determination 16 and looks way more promising than he initially was)

Currently on a good Ajax save. I'm in 2015 now and enjoying it lots! The only things that I still want to do is do better in Europe. That's my focus for this season, and I accept I might not win anything domestically this season.

My results so far:

Eredivisie won: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Dutch Cup won: 2014, 2015

Super Cup won: 2011, 2014

Dutch Reserves won: 2014, 2015

Dutch Reserves 2nd: 2013

Dutch Under 19s won: 2012, 2014, 2015

Dutch Under 19s 2nd: 2013

Championsleague I haven't managed to get further than the semi finals (last season). Athletico Madrid has turned into a nemesis kicking me out of the competition in the previous 2 seasons (quarter final and semi final).

My current team:

GK: Stekelenburg

DR: Vanden Borre

DC: Vertonghen

DC: Alderweireld

DL: Polyovyi

MCL: Nigel de Jong

MC: Leonard Dhlamini (21 y/o South African regen) / Eriksen

MCR: Kara

STR: Kooiman (20 y/o Dutch regen from own youth)

STL: Neymar

STC: Christian Benitez

Substitutes:

Zegers (20 y/o own youth STL), Boulahrouz (33, DC), Johan Hammar (21, DC/MC), Philani Khumalo (18 y/o South African regen MC), Kovacic (21 y/o Croatian regen MC), Mwewa (18 y/o Zambian regen ST, amazing talent!), Daley Blind, Nick Lamboo (19 y/o own youth regen DC), Maurits Schmitz (21 y/o own youth regen GK), Maurice Molenaar (21 y/o own youth regen MC).

January 2012

Didn't plan to sell any players. Leverkusen came with £8,25m offer for Anita which was tempting, but I had to say no (mostly because DL is my least covered position anyway). Bayern came with £10,75m offer for Eriksen which I had to accept. His final game will be league encounter against PSV. But I feel Mats Rits is almost ready to step up and fill attacking midfielder role with Lodeiro.

I managed to get 9.5 for Anita, and sell at end of season so I had a full season to replace him, and I kinda forgot and have three young regen LBs. I'm too scared to sell Eriksen or Lodeiro, and I paid 11m for Ganso so I don't plan to ever sell him.

What's your lineup?

I think I'm done with this save till next FM comes out I'll do another Ajax one possibly...my most recent save got corrupted because I accidentally left my laptop on. The previous save is a few games back but ruined my 10 game win streak, CBA to follow it up.

Atleast this gives me time to focus on my life. :D

Not sure if you meant what's my lineup, but here goes anyway. :-P

My current team:

GK: Stekelenburg

DR: Van der Wiel

DC: Vertonghen/Federico Fazio

DC: Alderweireld

DL: Konstantinov (Ukrainian regen)

MCL: Fernando Gago

MCR: Eriksen

AMR: Lucas (Sao Paulo)

AMC: Matias Fernandez

AML: Tom Cleverly

STC: Lacina Traore

Subs: Tatsuya Sorimachi (GK Japanese Regen), Gabriel Ramirez (STC Argentinian regen, 189 PA), Axel Witsel (MC, AMR), Kiko (AMR), Maikel Achterberg (DC own youth regen, 192 PA.) Carraro (STC Italian regen, 200PA!), Vaclav Kadlec (ST), Lorenzo Crisetig (DM,MC)

February 2012 few results:

Ajax - Heracles 0:2. I rarely remember so frustrating match. 5 ccc-s, no goals, Heracles just had one half-chance, but failed to score a goal. Instead we score 2 own goals and 5 minutes before the end El Hamdaoui earns his 2nd yellow, getting sent off and missing next game, which is fairly important one against Twente. Well done, FM, well done.

Ajax - Arsenal 0:0 (UEFA Cup 1st knockout round 1st leg) - was important not to concede and we managed just that. Fairly even battle, Arsenal perhaps edging a game and creating more threat, but I'm fairly pleased with draw and clean sheet helps to keep up hope for 2nd leg

Ajax - Twente 1:0. Goal from corner, looks like fairly even game, but we missed 3 ccc-s while Twente didn't have any really good chances. Still pleased with 3 points.

Arsenal - Ajax 2:3. Taught a lesson to Arsene Wenger there. We scored first goal, putting Arsenal to tough position, but they coped well and at half time it was 1-2 to Arsenal. We still needed just one goal to grab aggregate win and Cvitanich scored just around 85' to bring us through. Vertonghen finished Arsenal off with beautiful free kick around the wall. Next opponents - CSKA Moscow (current title holder, btw).

In Eredivisie I'm 4 points clear of Groningen and they look to be only team left who can have realistic hope to challenge for the title. They just refuse to drop any points and so often score late winners, that it's getting frustrating to see match results already.

February 2012 few results:

Ajax - Heracles 0:2. I rarely remember so frustrating match. 5 ccc-s, no goals, Heracles just had one half-chance, but failed to score a goal. Instead we score 2 own goals and 5 minutes before the end El Hamdaoui earns his 2nd yellow, getting sent off and missing next game, which is fairly important one against Twente. Well done, FM, well done.

Ajax - Arsenal 0:0 (UEFA Cup 1st knockout round 1st leg) - was important not to concede and we managed just that. Fairly even battle, Arsenal perhaps edging a game and creating more threat, but I'm fairly pleased with draw and clean sheet helps to keep up hope for 2nd leg

Ajax - Twente 1:0. Goal from corner, looks like fairly even game, but we missed 3 ccc-s while Twente didn't have any really good chances. Still pleased with 3 points.

Arsenal - Ajax 2:3. Taught a lesson to Arsene Wenger there. We scored first goal, putting Arsenal to tough position, but they coped well and at half time it was 1-2 to Arsenal. We still needed just one goal to grab aggregate win and Cvitanich scored just around 85' to bring us through. Vertonghen finished Arsenal off with beautiful free kick around the wall. Next opponents - CSKA Moscow (current title holder, btw).

In Eredivisie I'm 4 points clear of Groningen and they look to be only team left who can have realistic hope to challenge for the title. They just refuse to drop any points and so often score late winners, that it's getting frustrating to see match results already.

do you know how to post screnshots.If you do know how would you post your squad so i could ascess becuase im interested in your transfer policy

arsenal987, my squad can be found in this very thread and page, post no. #550. In case you want to see any specific players to check how they have turned out in 2012 let me know and I can make screenshots for you.

Only difference in March 2012 is that I sold Eriksen to Bayern.

Transfer policy principles:

1) Always try to grow your own players, not to buy anyone from outside. Don't be afraid to give youngsters chance. It's recommended to buy a talent from feeder club when you see one.

2) Accept all bids over £10m to any player

3) Never pay more than £3m for any player. In reality it rules out buying any star players.

4) New signings have to be under 22 yo, Dutch of Belgium nationality.

The general idea is to rely completely on your own youth system and promote players from U-19. Also, as £10m is quite a high bar there's not an awful lot of clubs and players that can be bought from you. For example, I just don't accept £6m bid for player with £3m player value. So I keep initial squad and add my own youth players with few departures.

In long term saves, however, it can happen that too many star players are leaving to top clubs for big money and if manager (me) doesn't want to bring new signings in, team quality drops. That can be avoided, to some extent, by good rotation, youth development etc. Lot of young players can turn out better than you expected with help of 1st team football and tutoring. I keep my first team squad size between 22-25 players and around 10 of them are under 21 yo.

However, there's one thing you can't avoid and it's lack of positional balance in the squad. There's no rule which players you get from youth team. You can end up with 3 talented wingers, but no fullbacks. Also you may have 2 equally talented strikers, but both get bids over £10m. So it still means you have to buy a player or two during Summer window. I generally consider in the beginning of August if I need cover to any of positions and then make a signing.

In this current save I signed Mats Rits for £1,2m, following real-life transfers, 2nd signing was regen South-African defender from Ajax CT for £55k, who will join in year 2013, after turning 18. Meanwhile I've sold Alderweireld, Eriksen and Siem de Jong.

arsenal987, my squad can be found in this very thread and page, post no. #550. In case you want to see any specific players to check how they have turned out in 2012 let me know and I can make screenshots for you.

1) Always try to grow your own players, not to buy anyone from outside. Don't be afraid to give youngsters chance. It's recommended to buy a talent from feeder club when you see one.

3) Never pay more than £3m for any player. In reality it rules out buying any star players.

The general idea is to rely completely on your own youth system and promote players from U-19. Also, as £10m is quite a high bar there's not an awful lot of clubs and players that can be bought from you. For example, I just don't accept £6m bid for player with £3m player value. So I keep initial squad and add my own youth players with few departures.

In long term saves, however, it can happen that too many star players are leaving to top clubs for big money and if manager (me) doesn't want to bring new signings in, team quality drops. That can be avoided, to some extent, by good rotation, youth development etc. Lot of young players can turn out better than you expected with help of 1st team football and tutoring. I keep my first team squad size between 22-25 players and around 10 of them are under 21 yo.

However, there's one thing you can't avoid and it's lack of positional balance in the squad. There's no rule which players you get from youth team. You can end up with 3 talented wingers, but no fullbacks. Also you may have 2 equally talented strikers, but both get bids over £10m. So it still means you have to buy a player or two during Summer window. I generally consider in the beginning of August if I need cover to any of positions and then make a signing.

In this current save I signed Mats Rits for £1,2m, following real-life transfers, 2nd signing was regen South-African defender from Ajax CT for £55k, who will join in year 2013, after turning 18. Meanwhile I've sold Alderweireld, Eriksen and Siem de Jong.

I wanted to move Alderweireld, but I held onto him so long he's of age to tutor, and that's a rarity in my squad. Erikson is so good, but no one will bid 15+ for him

steakfaced, Alderweireld's low determination is not too good for tutoring. But I understand your point - in young squad there's not much tutoring options. I put van der Wiel to tutor Niewpoort now in 2012. Vertonghen, De Zeeuw and Stekelenburg make good tutors too.

I like your youth and transfer policy.I will give it go for the team thread i am doing for Ajax in FM12.How do you do in the Champions league.

P.S would you post Nicolai Boilesen attributes pls

Now you know on other team threads there are motto's such as Arsenal 'all style no substance' and Man utd 'big club seeks rich and caring owner'.

so what i would like you to do is come up with some motto's for the Ajax thread that i plan to do.

P.S If i pick yours i will give a shout out on the thread page.

THANKS

Now you know on other team threads there are motto's such as Arsenal 'all style no substance' and Man utd 'big club seeks rich and caring owner'.

so what i would like you to do is come up with some motto's for the Ajax thread that i plan to do.

P.S If i pick yours i will give a shout out on the thread page.

THANKS

'Ajax - Supplying the world with talent since 1900'

'Ajax - We have the third star, now what?'

Or something to that affect.

steakfaced, Alderweireld's low determination is not too good for tutoring. But I understand your point - in young squad there's not much tutoring options. I put van der Wiel to tutor Niewpoort now in 2012. Vertonghen, De Zeeuw and Stekelenburg make good tutors too.

I'm on an update so 2 of those guys were gone. I always forget about low determination but force a tutor anyways, I'm stupid..

And I had to let Boileson go to Arsenal I had like a 6m bid with 50% next sale.

By the way, in last real Eredivisie fixture FC Groningen defeated Ajax 1-0 and I couldn't help to notice that 2 guys that were pretty much let to leave on free from Ajax, Johan Kappelhof and Lorenzo Burnet, now have made it to Groningen first team and beat their former club. Actually, most of the players Ajax lets to go end up playing first team football in Eredivisie although in FM database they look like not good enough for that.

'Ajax - Supplying the world with talent since 1900'

Or something to that affect.

I like.I think thats what i'll apply i will give a shout out to you aswell:)

June 2012

Wrapped up my season nicely with long winning streak and retained title. Groningen were 2nd, AZ 3rd, PSV and Feyenoord 4th and 5th respectively. NAC Breda surprised everyone by winning Dutch Cup and getting some European football next season.

Maarten Stekelenburg got Goalkeeper of the year award (2nd year in a row)

Florian Jozefszoon was named as Best Young Player (11 league goals and 10 assists, truly a breakthrough season for him)

Several bids were made for my players, as usual. There was some £8m bid for El Hamdaoui (fantastic season from him once again, 18 league goals). I asked £10m, obviously he was asking for new contract. I said no, because I just wanted to see if £10m is offered or not, so obviously he was unhappy and refused to back down. Our conversation didn't go too well, so he demanded a transfer and I accepted. Next morning - Liverpool walks in with £7,5m + clauses offer, potentially worth £9,5m and I had to let El Hamdaoui go. It's going to be a challenge to replace such a goal machine, but I have to give it a try.

But I'm really disappointed with the behaviour of the player. Actually it reminds me of certain... wait for it... Mounir El Hamdaoui from real-life Ajax.

Tried to follow my real-life pattern and bring in Sigdursson from AZ, but he has no interest in joining Ajax. Too bad.

Anyone still playing? Or are you testing FM12 demo?

Anyway, update from September 2012

Transfer window wrap-up: Uri Colonel accepted OM £7,75m bid for Vurnon Anita, leaving my left defence pretty vulnerable. I also sold Kenneth Vermeer for £900k (he had been patient, but finally started to feel that he's wasting his best years in Ajax bench). Some loan players did return (Toivomäki, Özbiliz, Castillion). I sent Özbiliz out on loan again and kept others.

So, first team squad:

GK: Stekelenburg, Berrevoets (he's really, really good)

DR: van der Wiel, Toivomäki

DC: Vertonghen, Schenk

DC: Boilesen, Denswil

DL: Blind

DMC: Enoh, Bonevacia

MC (support): De Zeeuw, Lindgren, Rits

MC (attack): Lodeiro, Bouy

AMR: Jozefszoon, Ebecilio, Lukoki

AML: Suleijmani, Aissati

ST: Cvitanich, Suk, Castillion

Only signing of the transfer window: 16 yo regen striker from Heerenveen. He's by far the best regen in whole Holland in 2012 and grabbed him away for £1,3m. Transfer budget remains around £40m, but I don't intend to spend it.

Won DSC match against NAC Breda and first 4 league games (but VVV, Den Bosch, Helmond and Cambuur are among weakest possible teams in the league, so no celebrations just yet). Got a Champions League group of Bayern, Olympiacos and Steaua. Not bad, can work with that.

No it's time for the first more serious week - sc Heerenveen and Bayern games. My best defenders (Vertonghen and van der Wiel) are injured, Lindgren is out and Cvitanich is out for 5-6 more weeks. A moment of truth for my young team is about to come.

Won both Heerenveen and Bayern 2-0. Against Bayern the result was perhaps the most against course of game I've ever seen in FM. Ball possession was 63/37 to Bayern, but their shooting was horrible, 16 shots, 0 on goal. I went to game without Vertonghen and Cvitanich, 19 yo. Xandro Schenk completely nullified Mario Gomez at the back and Suk led the line up front by scoring twice. 3 decent opportunities, 2 goals and fantastic result.

Report article in 'news' section after the game reported that "Ajax fans count their blessings" after so unlikely win.

Despite having sold Anita and problems with defensive line injuries (Stekelenburg, van der Wiel and Vertonghen have all skipped some games), it's remarkable that I haven't yet conceded a single goal this season. It means 7 clean sheets in a row.

Won both Heerenveen and Bayern 2-0. Against Bayern the result was perhaps the most against course of game I've ever seen in FM. Ball possession was 63/37 to Bayern, but their shooting was horrible, 16 shots, 0 on goal. I went to game without Vertonghen and Cvitanich, 19 yo. Xandro Schenk completely nullified Mario Gomez at the back and Suk led the line up front by scoring twice. 3 decent opportunities, 2 goals and fantastic result.

Report article in 'news' section after the game reported that "Ajax fans count their blessings" after so unlikely win.

Despite having sold Anita and problems with defensive line injuries (Stekelenburg, van der Wiel and Vertonghen have all skipped some games), it's remarkable that I haven't yet conceded a single goal this season. It means 7 clean sheets in a row.

You don't buy players? I have never, in all my FM11 Ajax saves (4 or 5, lol) played Schenk.

Anyway, starting my 3rd season as head coach of Ajax. 1st year: won league, super cup, dutch cup and runner up in the champions league. Second season: super cup, dutch cup and retained Eredivisie, but I lost in the first knockout stages of the champions league to Real Madrid. I have some excellent regens breaking into the team, Kadlec is beastly so I hope I can finally win the Champions League this year.

Currently fielding:

Stekelenburg, van der Wiel, Alderweiereld (will probably sell him, got a Greek regen with magnificent attributes who is almost as good as him but has a lot more potential, as he's only 19), Vertonghen, Coentrao (got him for 6M), Casemiro, my Egyptian regen with a PA of 200, Lodeiro, Sulejmani, Kadlec and el Hamdaoui.

Draakon, when the game comes out are you gonna do the developing-youth-from-Ajax-no-purchases thing? I'm gonna do the same thing so it might be interesting to post together on our experiences.

Or do you think we should do a separate thread? maybe in challenges?

let us know

dave

You can read about my transfer policy in more detail from my previous posts in this very thread. Yes, I don't buy many players and sell any star when more than £10m bid comes in, relying completely on my own youth. So far in this save (October 2012 atm) I've signed exactly 3 players.

1) Mats Rits (transferred in Summer 2011 for £1,2m) - due to 'reality' basis. He wasn't in the team in 11.3 database

2) 16 yo. regen DC from Ajax CT for marginal £45k (transfer scheduled to july 2013 when he turns 18). Pretty talented and I believe I should use Ajax CT youngsters as real-life Ajax do.

3) 16 yo regen striker from Heerenveen for £1,3m (in 2012). Due to the fact that he's by far the best Dutch regen in July 2012.

Current transfer funds are £40m.

Of course, usually from time to time I have to make exceptions and buy a player or two when there are too many leaving. But I always use my own youth players as a backup/prospects. It's surprising how many youth players can turn out pretty good with enough first team games and good tutoring.

Schenk for example is now (2012) 19 yo, he's my 3rd best DC and regarded as 1,5* CA, 3* PA, equivalent to 'can become leading Eredivisie central defender'. His player value is currently £1m. He has been attracting bids from ManU, Juventus and Arsenal. SAF and Wenger keep singing praisis to him in media.

Most of all - his performances are better than his attributes. He has all what I want from my DC already in such a tender age - good jumping (15), decent pace (13), good strength (due individual training has reached 11-12, which is remarkable for U19 player. Vertonghen tutored him successfully and turned his mental stats better too, determination now 11. He is part of Dutch U-21 side, has no obvious weaknesses and can become only better when getting some first team action.

By the way, beat amateur side (can't recall the name atm) in Dutch Cup 5-0 and Heracles in Eredivisie 3-0 (again 2 goals from Suk) and unlocked 'park the tank' achievement. 10 games without conceding. Never thought I could do that. OK, didn't have perhaps the hardest opponents in this series, but holding Bayern at bay during this streak definitely counts for something.

While you were playing around with Schenk, I got this little bad boy at the start of the second season:

cl0rl.png

And he's a little better at the moment than this screen reflects. Seriously though, I understand what you're doing. And if that's the way you enjoy your game, more power to you. I just try to get the best regens possible, and this is one of them!

My other good regen:

312b4ns.png

i love that phrase 'playing around with schenk'! I think I'm going to have a lot of this in my fm12 game! Think this kid could be a legend

Screenshot2011-10-18at155834.png

The amount of brill young AMCs at Ajax is making me change my formation

I don't think he'll be in the retail version, because he's no real player. He doesn't exist in real life. There's also a young player called Ted Sneijders or something who's fake as well.

And to be honest, his technical stats are absolutely amazing, but his mental and especially his physical stats are low. Very low.

Off the Ball: 5

Anticipation: 8

Composure: 5

Decisions: 7

Flair: 10

Determination: 10

Yuck!

If anything, retrain him to MC and make him a deep lying playmaker or something.

Archived