3-4-3 Goalscoring is back!

Hello everyone.

While normally a lower league manager, I gained enough rep in my current save to be offered a job by Fulham. I couldn't resist, but soon found myself unable to score thanks to patch 10.2. I created this tactic to increase the amount of chances converted by my strikers. It's netted me 62 goals in the 2011 season, which was good enough for fourth place.

How does it work?

Well, what we know about 10.2 is that our strikers have become unable to convert clear cut chances. This tactic works around that problem by using three center forwards, which means someone is usually there to score a goal on a second chance. It also means that two of your three strikers will be shooting at a more severe angle, rather than straight at the keeper, which for some reason increases their likelihood to score.

Defending...

I haven't tested this tactic with a dominant team, so I don't know whether or not this section will apply to managers who can afford superb defenders. But in this tactic your three paltry defenders get a lot of help while on their heels by pressuring wingers. Quite often you'll find yourself consisting of a back line consisting of five players, rather than three. You should be able to get away with this in the Premier League as teams tend to send their full backs forward, meaning a simple hoofball upfield will have your three center forwards outnumbering their center backs. In other words, don't worry too much about a transition game.

I have inevitably leaked goals against larger clubs, particularly Arsenal for some unknown reason, but I can usually eek out a win or tie against the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, or the perennial powerhouse in my football universe: the Mourinho-coached Man City.

Midfield!

As your wingers will generally be caught in the backfield, it's up to your midfielders to disrupt play long enough to get a flick on to your forwards. As such, the nastier, more Roy Keane-esque your middies can be, the better. Passing helps too. A lot, actually.

Tactic link:

http://www.filefront.com/15294885/343Fulham%21%20%28Fulham%2C%20Jul%202012%29.tac

2011 roster (regens not included):

Goalkeeper: Vincent Enyeama

Defenders: Gary Cahill, Brede Hangeland, Mirel Radoi, Mike Beevers, Fredrik Stoor, Gojko Kacar

Midfielders: Radoi, Kacar, Havard Nordveit, Davide Moro, Kasigo Dikgacoi, Jano Ananidze (prospect)

Wingers: Leighton Baines is the absolute best I could find, but he was hard for me to keep, eventually ending up on Man Utd. I converted Charlie Mulgrew to a left midfielder and his ratings have been 6.9--. That could be inflated because he takes a decent corner, however. Similarly, I took Celtic's Stephen Kelly and converted him to a right midfielder with somewhat decent results. Clint Dempsey does all right on the right as well.

Forwards: I needed a lot of them thanks to injuries, and budget forwards thanks to Fulham being cash-strapped. Roque Santa Cruz was free transferred in 2011 from Man City and ended up my leading scorer. Others include Jonathan Pereira (Villareal), Davide Di Gennaro (AC Milan), Dempsey, Andy Johnson, Jo (Man City) and I've just picked up Gignac (Man Utd) off the transfer list.

Tactic link:

http://www.filefront.com/15294885/343Fulham%21%20%28Fulham%2C%20Jul%202012%29.tac

If anyone feels up for testing this, please let me know the result/recommended tweaks. Thanks in advance.

i got relegated with leeds finishing bottom, i never won 1 game a way from home but now back in the ccc and won 9 in a row im hoping next year when we go up i will do a lot better, phildenham i always play ounter away from home it helps a bit

• 3 weeks later...

This tactics works great for me for now. I play Queen of the South in Scotland - second season in an online game with 4 friends. The first season finished 3rd mainly because of the 10.2 patch and now I started the 2nd season with mostly bad results. After switching to this tactic I got 5 wins and 1 Loses. My main problem is my weak defence which works very well with this tactic. The only thing that I do not like is the amount of missed goals in a match. It is not normal for me to miss 6-7 chances alone agains the GK, having in mind that my strickers are very good for the division - Nemeth, Zigoni and Chumeni (got all of them on loan and 1 of them is over 4 mil worth). Anyway I score at least 3 goals in a match except in the one I lost - missed at least 8 goals in this match.

To my opinion if this can be fixed in a way the taxtic will be unstoppable.

One more point - seems defensive tactics with 4 defenders and 1 DMC works well agains me but the chances are still a lot

• 2 weeks later...

Archived