FMS FM Thread - Traditional Play

Terk

Hows your Welsh thing coming along, Steve?

Just started a new game In Luxembourg on FM10, my first career game on it, picked, Dudelange, and after crashing out of the Champions League with dignity to Maccabi Haifa, have won my first five league games in a row, beating the current champions Jeunesse in the process. Let the good times roll.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hows your Welsh thing coming along, Steve?

Just started a new game In Luxembourg on FM10, my first career game on it, picked, Dudelange, and after crashing out of the Champions League with dignity to Maccabi Haifa, have won my first five league games in a row, beating the current champions Jeunesse in the process. Let the good times roll.

I spent all weekend working on Chimney Charlie, so nothing new to report. Still 22-1-0, still the stingiest defense in the history of the world at only 6 goals conceded, and still a deplorably frustrating cup team. Knocked out first chance in the Conference League Cup, made the board minimum for the FA Cup (First round), and then got dumped out of the FA Trophy at the first go of it by Stockport.

On the other hand, I also loaded up this database in a separate save and I've been holidaying forward (it takes entirely too long for my computer to do this). By season 2012 all of my created players are worth multi-millions, a few of them have reached CAs of 180+ (except Deiniol Weaver, the winger, for some reason he got mired up at Zenit), all have made senior international bows (Duncan Edwards played at the 2012 Euros for England, and the striker Maddock Brooks has 4 caps and 4 goals for Wales) and not a single one of them still plays for Newport County. The Exiles won the BSS and then the BSP back-to-back, and I believe are still sitting in League 2. And, to be honest, they didn't get near enough return on investment for any of the players. Considering I'd bumped Newport's training/youth up to the highest possible level, it may have benefited them to hold on despite the protests, develop them further, and then sell them for millions.

Good work on the Luxembourg save, I can't imagine that's easy to deal with. You should do what I plan to do if Chimney Charlie sticks it out with Corner all the way to the NI Premier and Europe: focus on winning ONE qualifying phase. The reward money will probably be totally worth it!

I spent all weekend working on Chimney Charlie, so nothing new to report. Still 22-1-0, still the stingiest defense in the history of the world at only 6 goals conceded, and still a deplorably frustrating cup team. Knocked out first chance in the Conference League Cup, made the board minimum for the FA Cup (First round), and then got dumped out of the FA Trophy at the first go of it by Stockport.

On the other hand, I also loaded up this database in a separate save and I've been holidaying forward (it takes entirely too long for my computer to do this). By season 2012 all of my created players are worth multi-millions, a few of them have reached CAs of 180+ (except Deiniol Weaver, the winger, for some reason he got mired up at Zenit), all have made senior international bows (Duncan Edwards played at the 2012 Euros for England, and the striker Maddock Brooks has 4 caps and 4 goals for Wales) and not a single one of them still plays for Newport County. The Exiles won the BSS and then the BSP back-to-back, and I believe are still sitting in League 2. And, to be honest, they didn't get near enough return on investment for any of the players. Considering I'd bumped Newport's training/youth up to the highest possible level, it may have benefited them to hold on despite the protests, develop them further, and then sell them for millions.

Good work on the Luxembourg save, I can't imagine that's easy to deal with. You should do what I plan to do if Chimney Charlie sticks it out with Corner all the way to the NI Premier and Europe: focus on winning ONE qualifying phase. The reward money will probably be totally worth it!

It sounded plausible the AI managers wouldn't be able to keep the prospects on and sell them for a proper price. And your totally right about the qualifying phase; I was given £110k for getting knocked out, so to have had a luckier draw and to win might have been excellent. Annoyingly we were seeded, but the unseeded teams from better nations were just... better. The agg defeat was only 3-0, so I guess with some work its possible. Chimney will probably be the same, so I can understand it when it might occur to you.

We started on 90k, the prize money taking us into the holy 100k mark. The club doesn't make a profit each month, losing usually around £3k. So that money should keep us afloat until next season, when we earn it again. We don't even pay wages, as the club is amateur! As of right now, we still have £180k in the bank, a seasonal profit of £140k so far.

Prize money is heartwarming.

Every new FM that comes out I just seem to lose games all the time whichever club I start with. Then if I can get past my hatred of it I tend to start doing better, but I dunno why I always have to go through the boredem of being crap first that tends to mean it takes me months to get into a new FM. FM10's skin and general organisation is so appalling I'm really finding it hard to get into at all!

Season One with Dudelange is over! Successful, I would say! :D

Season1-Dudelange.jpg

I think it's time to try and push for more success in the European competitions, but seeing as my whole team is still Amateur, well the whole club for that matter, it might take awhile :(

Do you have the board room option to go semi-pro?

Is that possible? I always wondered about that if I were to take on an Amateur team, whether they would be forever amateur. Great news that it is possible to become semi-pro if you are successful enough.

Is that possible? I always wondered about that if I were to take on an Amateur team, whether they would be forever amateur. Great news that it is possible to become semi-pro if you are successful enough.

IIRC amateur teams can go semi-pro, the exception is Queens Park. They have some rule IRL about never being anything other than amatuer and that has been implemented in the game.

Do you have the board room option to go semi-pro?

Sadly no option like that is available. But they did unanimously agree to improve the facilities, which is definitely a step in the right direction! Thumped by Partizan in Champions League qualifiers. :(

I suppose they'd automatically tell you to go semi-pro, and pro later on. At Havant, I was told to get more people tied down to full time contracts to serve that purpose.

Yup, but thats only for semi-pro to Pro. At amateur, I can't offer anything but amateur contracts :(

I have a fairly decent squad, but we're being out done by Differdange, who are now semi-pro! Cheeky buggers.

Exactly. Managing to find some good players by scouting amateur teams in other countries, but it isn't enough. Being unable to hold on to key or form player is affecting squad harmony. Need to tie them down, but being amateur renders it impossible for now. Still waiting for the upgrade to the youth and training facilities. Though I did sign Nordin Wooter! <3

And my first choice striker is awesome; despite his last club before mine coming in 2006, with Basingstoke.

You likely need to have facilities at a certain level before the upgrade comes. I'm not 100% positive if you can request it, or if the board just tells you they're going to do it anyway. It happened to me once with a team I managed back in FM07, I think it was Wrexham. I got them unexpectedly promoted to league 1 but I think they were semi-pro, and then went full professional when I got the promotion.

If Differdange go semi, though, I imagine you can, too! Eventually. Somehow.

I need to pick up the pace on my storytelling and posting in Chimney Charlie. I'm a full season ahead in the game and I want to tell everyone about some of the developments but I also don't want to give away key story elements. IT'S SO DAMN HARD.

You likely need to have facilities at a certain level before the upgrade comes. I'm not 100% positive if you can request it, or if the board just tells you they're going to do it anyway. It happened to me once with a team I managed back in FM07, I think it was Wrexham. I got them unexpectedly promoted to league 1 but I think they were semi-pro, and then went full professional when I got the promotion.

If Differdange go semi, though, I imagine you can, too! Eventually. Somehow.

Yup, Differdange managed it. Now they're stealing my best men and then offering them proper contracts, the buggers!

It hasn't helped them in the league so far, and only six of their players are part time.

Western Super Mare 1 Weymouth 1

I just cannot win at home, despite Marvin Brown's stunning late leveller here. Amusing though that Oxford and Mansfield are both in the Blue Square Premier relegation zone.:D

Oxford ended up in the Blue Square Premier relegation zone in my Bromley game. Then they beat my team on the last day of the season to relegate me.

There's a reason for the spoiler tags - you'll find out soon enough :)

Hey, there's nowt wrong wi' Halifax!! Well, nowt that moving it to Lancashire wouldn't fix ;)

Please, hurry and take it along! :D

Season 2 - Champions of Luxembourg Premier Division

Season2-Dudelange.jpg

Quarter Finals of National Cup

Still no sign of our training facilities or youth academy yet. Broken promises :mad:

Gav, I don't think they start improving said facilities until the following offseason. At the very least it often takes a long time to finish.

Thank you. Would make more sense if thats how it works. Just worried as I hadn't heard anything!

Yayyyyy we finally made it to Semi-Pro, the same day that Avenir Beggen did too. I can't help but think that was their reason :D

dudelangesemipro.jpg

Bout time! Now I can push on and hopefully build my own squad, something that was bugging as mid-January last season I lost all my best players to European clubs.

I adore cup runs with small teams. Just guided Blue Square Premier side Canvey Island past League One side Hull in the FA Cup 4th round, booking us a money spinning tie away against Newcastle in the fifth round. Awesome :cool:

Hey Gav, got a tasty tidbit from the Welsh experiment.

I'm beginning to become disenchanted with the save, but something hilarious just happened. My 6'7" center back, Cedric Rheinallt, scored a hat trick against Thurrock in the league. He marks the keeper both on free kicks and corners in my scheme, and within the space of twelve minutes he scored point-blank headers from a FK and two corners. I pulled him on 87 minutes to a standing ovation. The backlash? David Moyes commented on his potential in the media directly after the match :(.

I adore cup runs with small teams. Just guided Blue Square Premier side Canvey Island past League One side Hull in the FA Cup 4th round, booking us a money spinning tie away against Newcastle in the fifth round. Awesome :cool:

That means you don't suck anymore? :(:p

Hey Gav, got a tasty tidbit from the Welsh experiment.

I'm beginning to become disenchanted with the save, but something hilarious just happened. My 6'7" center back, Cedric Rheinallt, scored a hat trick against Thurrock in the league. He marks the keeper both on free kicks and corners in my scheme, and within the space of twelve minutes he scored point-blank headers from a FK and two corners. I pulled him on 87 minutes to a standing ovation. The backlash? David Moyes commented on his potential in the media directly after the match :(.

They must have been eyeing him up for awhile; any idea if Moyes was in the crowd? I'd imagine they'd b e scouting him. And was there any sign of a bid?

He wasn't in the crowd and there have been no media reports. I think its just the fact that his average rating is 7.10 and in that match he grabbed himself a 9.6 rating and a hat-trick, so the interest just exploded. The only bid I've had come in so far is a laughable $30k bid for Duncan Edwards from some Scottish first division side.

Might as well ask here first and editors hideaway if no-one knows...

Has anyone here done any editing of cups to add in ones with a group stage? Specifically I am rejigging the Icelandic league and trying to roughly replicate the Upper and Lower league cups, but so that they involve every team. Trouble is if I split my cups to have all Prem and D1 teams in Upper and the rest in Lower I get 44 teams in my Lower League cup which doesn't divide well into groups (I guess I could have 11 groups of 4, but the reverse is not viable).

So, I wanted to move 4 teams from Upper to Lower, but that means taking just 8 teams from D1 to Upper League Cup and I want the remaining 4 to go into the Lower League cup, but when I choose to select 4 teams from D1 for that cup it takes the best 4 teams (who are already in ULC). Is there any way I can force the bottom 4 teams from D1 to be in the Lower League Cup instead of the top 4 or will I have to revert to having the entire of D1 in the Upper League Cup?

That sounds complicated...it's simple really, just hard to explain concisely in words!!

[Edit]: I've decided to opt for the maverick option of 4 groups of 11 teams each for my Lower League cup after rejecting my fanciful idea of including 4 Faroese teams which seemed a bit two random!

Wow, talking of fairytale stories, I have just been testing my new Icelandic league, running it in holiday mode overnight through to 2027 and a club who began the game as an Amateur team, in the 4th (lowest) tier with an average attendance of 47 in their first season are top of the Premier Division (and Professional now) past midway through 2027 and played in Europe having finished 3rd last year.

No human intervention at all, just AI. Admittedly they did have a tycoon take over recently, but they had already gone a long way along the path to their success before that. Looking forward to playing this when I finally become happy with the setup. Hopefully I can work a story out of it to run alongside my Plymouth game which is so frustrating I needed a break!!

How do you get it to holiday so fast? I leave it running for like 8-10 hours a day when I'm at work and I can only get a save to holiday forward a maximum of like 2 or 3 seasons, if I'm lucky!

EDIT: Besides the fact that it caps me at like 5 1/2 years that I can holiday.

I won't be playing this save, it is just a test so I set it off with just Icelandic leagues running and a small database so I could see how the reshuffling of the leagues etc plays out over a long period of time.

Games that I am actually playing with a human manager don't go anywhere near as fast, although I don't generally holiday those for long periods.

I just started with an unemployed manager and holidayed indefinitely, then got up this morning and it was mid-2027.

Here's a controversial subject for debate!

Does the LLM forum have any worthwhile purpose anymore or has it rendered itself irrelevent?

Just interested in people's opinions now that we have the ability to add lower leagues via the editor, yet, of course, using the editor in any way is against the rules of LLM. So anyone who wants to play LLM lower down than that is not a true LLM player...I stopped going to the LLM forum myself ages ago because I didn't necessarily agree with their definition of what is "realistic" and there was very little worth reading in the forum because most questions are taboo and I'd rather see a story than a season update thread after 10 years of play.

But now it just seems it has very little point in modern FM because most people outside of the Llama core would probably want to have a go at starting lower down in a league they can now add via the editor if they really want to play from the "lowest league".

Any thoughts?! Should I be burned at the stake for attacking such a bastion of these forums and supposedly the integrity of "realism" in FM play? Or does anyone else agree?!

*ducks under a table in case of flying eggs

If sitting in their darkened caves, flaming infidels is what gets them going then leave them be, I guess. I don't post in there because I don't agree with their belief that every game you play on FM has to be an LLM game if you're going to post there nor the way they go on witch hunts with new posters, scouring their post history for the slightest sniff of the tactics or players fora. But it's their forum, they get to set the rules, I don't agree with them, so I don't post there. Live and let live, I guess. I can't say I was surprised by their reaction to the competitions editor, but I certainly see why people feel that they're cutting their nose off to spite their face.

Scottlee - those stats are better than mine at Dudelange, barring the population! Best of luck with them, and keep me updated :)

Just finished my third season with Dudelange, and what started as a poor one flipped around tremendously to give us our third title in a row. The semi-professional status helped us to sign proper player and keep the ones we valued, which at first didn't turn out great.

Eventually, in October, signed five American's on free transfers, a Trinidadian, a Chilean, a Mexican and an Argentinean. They were phenomenal when performing, but when not, they were woeful. Thankfully woeful was enough to get us by. We also got to the cup final, but as in the same way as the first season, we lost to the league runners up. 8-7 on penalties this time.

The Champions League also changed, and we had to go through the Qualifying Round with just four teams in. We just managed to get past Birkirkara before only just, and unfairly, bowing out to Ekranas.

But we are coming along in leaps and bounds, something I never expected. Hopefully we can have more luck in the Champions Cup and finally manage the double in the country. The squad is looking more like a team now, and we finally have a wage budget of just under £9,000. Still no signs of transfer funds despite having over £2million in the bank.

Long live Dudelange!

Season3-Dudelange.jpg

It's certainly a interesting name you've got there. Does Dudelange have a club crest with a 'dude' leaning out of it applying two thumbs up and wearing sunglasses?

How do you pronounce that name? If it's "Doo-de-lang" then it makes me think of some guy in Lord of the Rings going 'Ah, Aragorn, from the old Dudelange race, those of long lasting life'.

In my first friendly at Melleruds last night I beat Tarvik Lund from Norway by 2 goals to 0.

Downloaded league packs for some small European nations, the Caribbean, Oceania and Africa and have started a game with all of the non-African (error of some sort) island nations in the game. Started unemployed and am now the proud manager of CS Moulien in Guadeloupe. According to Wiki they won the league last year, but the players are awful and the league is the lowest-scoring I've ever seen.

There are some interesting quirks to the Division D'Honneur, whether they're editorial mistakes or actual facts - 4 points for a win being the big one, and a disciplinary system which sees every yellow card after the first earn a suspension! Currently 3 points off the lead at the halfway stage, but at any given time half my midfielders are injured or suspended!

The plan is to do a proper career game - try a grab and title or two in Guadeloupe, hop around the Caribbean and Oceania to build up my rep before hopefully finding jobs in the Faroes or Iceland, then Australia or Japan before coming back to Britain. Ambitious? Yes. Likely? No, but I'm enjoying it so far :)

Archived