FM08: Official Liverpool Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lucas, Voronin, Kuyt (pen)

They a good team? icon_wink.gif

Some good results in your friendlies Tommy la; can I just ask, do Liverpool always play Milan in the first friendly on the demo (unless you cancel it)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>it appears everyone has the same fixtures so check my screen to spoil the surprise if you like, I presume it won't do that in the full game

and yes 1-0 loss at home but I went on to win away I believe so hopefully that will do!

the problem i have with the game is i try to play as if i were in real life, so I have an aversion to Babel and Sissoko even though they are good in the game haha.

LSTB: I believe it's half a season, but I haven't finished the demo yet myself haha, I'm very close though.

Matt: I usually play DMC, AML, AMC, AMR. But in FM08 there seems to be a bigger space between the DMC and AMC so I needed to fill it up a bit, handily the AMC is very effective in this edition of our favorite management simulation so I let the wingers drop back a bit.

How drastically do you suggest altering the tactics I use? I don't think completely changing the style of play would be advisable... but I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, the season finished on Jan 3rd (or is it Dec 3rd? I forget), but I'm mid-November leading up to the Christmas period. Unstoppable, silencing Man Utd 2-1, but I am really struggling in the group stages because they've coincided with my slump in form. I might even be pushed back into the UEFA cup. icon_frown.gif

If you play exactly the same way all the time the AI will get used to the way you set up. It differs in time however. I normally tweak slightly depending on who I'm playing without changing shape. Don't change it drastically but use your scouting reports on the opposition and change things accordingly.

I made about 20 different tactics because of the squad's depth e.g. Benayoun's tactics for when he plays on the right different to Pennant's. Will probably create even more when the game itself comes out icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, my brother's a tit, I wouldn't let him start on the demo yet so when I was doing something upstairs he deleted my f**king save. Cba starting again icon_frown.gif

The only things I really change, in order of priority:

The Strikers, Generally I look for the 'in form strikers' I've never really thought I will NEED a target man for this game, or i will NEED a pacey striker for these lot, I just pick whoever is banging them in and set team instructions to head or to run on to ball etc...

The Centre mids, I will either play

1) DMC, AMC.

2) DMC, DMC.

3) DMC, DMC, AMC (Lone striker)

just depends on how good the other team are really.

Full backs, I just make them run forward less if I think I will need more back in defence

I never touch my centre backs, all they have to do is sit back and defend

I rarely touch my wingers, I just consider their long shots stats when setting that, otherwise I want them to run up the wings and cross the ball.

I dont really touch striker instructions, I have player instructions for each one and they dont really change

This is what started the season with, formation wise.

formationrf4.jpg

Results update

August Results

League

Everton 2 - 3 Liverpool

Mascherano, Babel, Pennant

West Ham 2 - 2 Liverpool

Gerrard 2

Liverpool 3 - 1 Portsmouth

Torres 2, Pennant

European Cup 3rd round qualifier Leg 1

Liverpool 2 - 0 Slavia Prague

Alonso, Crouch

European Cup 3rd round qualifier Leg 2

Slavia Prague 0 - 1 Liverpool

Voronin

My 4-4-2 has arrows up for the wingers, same as Tommy's. Instead of putting someone DM though I have both midfielders in the centre with an arrow back to DM for Mascherano/Alonso/Lucas/Sissoko.

Anyway, won't be starting again with Liverpool on the demo I doubt, here's how I did get on before my brother deleted it:

Friendlies

Liverpool 2-1 AC Milan

Liverpool 1-2 Panathinaikos

Sporting CP 0-3 Liverpool

Villarreal 1-4 Liverpool

Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round

Leg 1 - Copenhagen 2-3 Liverpool

Leg 2 - Liverpool 5-0 Copenhagen

Premier League

Everton 0-2 Liverpool

West Ham 1-2 Liverpool

Liverpool 2-0 Portsmouth

Didn't sign anyone.

Btw, anyone with any issues or queries regarding the Liverpool data in the demo, here's a link to the Liverpool Data Issues thread:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5732091743/m/4942027743

Be considerate though, and remember medazza (he's done a good job imo) didn't have a say yet in Babel, Benayoun, Torres' stats etc.

Originally posted by Pope of Pot, King of Nothing:

LSTB: I noticed you've lost to Everton too. They almost feel like a bogey team. Very hard to contain Johnson and Yukubu... Not looking forward to derby matches these days!

I managed to chalk up a win against them, courtesy of a solitary goal by Lucas Leiva.

Here's my wrap-up of my Liverpool experience in FM08:

- Very hard to get an assman after I sacked Gary Ablett. I offered Angel Vales the post, and even tried to bring back Pako, but with no avail. So here I am, having to think of a suitable first eleven and not knowing what the players are thinking about during team-talks.

- Got Brede Hangeland (Norwegian defender playing for FC Kobenhavn) as cover for center-back. Forgot the transfer fee.

- Got Luka Modric for midfield cover. Forgot the transfer fee.

- I found myself with tons of unfit players, most of which either have not played for a long time or recently returned to full training after injury. This explains why I didn't pick Steven Gerrard for a few games in a stretch.

I guess that's about it from my view.

Originally posted by SonicSnake:

- I found myself with tons of unfit players, most of which either have not played for a long time or recently returned to full training after injury. This explains why I didn't pick Steven Gerrard for a few games in a stretch.

I guess that's about it from my view.

How far into the season were you when you had all these unfit players? Do you have a pre-season fitness training regime?

friendlies

liverpool 3-2 ac milan

liverpool 1-0 benevento

liverpool 5-1 treviso

liverpool 1-0 triestina

liverpool 1-0 sporting cp

liverpool 1-3 valladolid

champions lge 1st leg

salzburg 0-2 liverpool

liverpool 0-1 salzburg

premier league

everton 0-2 liverpool

west ham 1-2 liverpool

liverpool 1-0 pompey

sunderland 2-4 liverpool

liverpool 1-4 man united

wasnt doing too bad then utd beat me 4-1 was 1-0 up but they got 4 goals in the 2nd half team just fell apart

transfers in

s.downing 12.5m

a.lennon 25m

adriano loan

transfers out

crouch 6.5m

voronin 5m

LSTB: Coz he sold Crouch and Voronin he has more wage budget to put into his transfer budget, don't forget.

OST, how is Gerrard doing from there? I play him AMC, he does very well going forward, sometimes not so well going back, I play nearly the same way as you except I use Finnan as DR, Mascherano DMC, and Kuyt in place of Crouch

although saying that I do rotate, I guess I try to replicate how I would play the real Liverpool rather than paying attention to the game hehe.

Originally posted by Pope of Pot, King of Nothing:

I managed to re-sign Pako without any problems? What role did you offer him? He wants £8,750 a week and Assistant Manager, on my game(s).

He said something about needing a very large contract offer for him to consider agreeing terms.

How far into the season were you when you had all these unfit players? Do you have a pre-season fitness training regime?

I'm still stuck in mid-September. And yes I do have a fitness training regime, maxing the Strength and Aerobics training.

Originally posted by profii:

OST, how is Gerrard doing from there? I play him AMC, he does very well going forward, sometimes not so well going back, I play nearly the same way as you except I use Finnan as DR, Mascherano DMC, and Kuyt in place of Crouch

QUOTE]

Gerrard has scored 6 in 13 so far this season. With an average rating of 7.31.

Finnan is my 1st choice RB. Just shappened that I started with Coloccini in that game. Crouch & Kuyt get rotated as the targetman and Torres & Voronin the same.

Don't want to start sounding like a school teacher but can we not start posting 'Off-Topic' in this thread please. Any regular poster in LSTB's Liverpool thread from last season will know we were warned regularly about this.

Results update

September

League

Sunderlans 1 - 1 Liverpool

Crouch

Liverpool 2 - 1 Man Utd

Gerrard 2

Birmingham 1 - 4 Liverpool

Kuyt 2, Torres, Voronin

Liverpool 2 - 0 Bolton

Torres, Pennant

League Cup 3rd round

Liverpool 2 - 2 Newcastle AET

Liverpool win 4 - 3 on pens

Torres, Benayoun

LSTB: Coz he sold Crouch and Voronin he has more wage budget to put into his transfer budget, don't forget.

Oh yeah well, I wouldn't know as I neither bought nor sold anyone icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone tried Kuyt alongside Torres with Kuyt employing a more negative mentality made so he drops off? I gave him an arrow to the AMC position, worked well.

Sweet-Zombie-Jesus, as I said in the Liverpool Data Issues thread, that article is about 10 months old icon_biggrin.gif

Some good results in September Tommy, well apart from the Sunderland one icon_wink.gif

Beating Man. Utd's always sweet though.

Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

Anyone tried Kuyt alongside Torres with Kuyt employing a more negative mentality made so he drops off? I gave him an arrow to the AMC position, worked well.

I use Kuyt and torres

Torres: attacking mentality, lots of creative freedom, forward runs often, long shots never, run with ball often, pass/cross never

Kuyt: no mentality, mixed forward runs, long shots often, never run with ball, through balls often, cross balls mixed

basically to get a similar effect, worked for me.

I need to improve defence if anything, I think I could drop my defensive line back and close down less and it would be ok but I havent been playing fm08 to test it.

I don't give him an arrow back because I have Gerrard there

Usually I see Gerrard and Kuyt switching places on the pitch, I might specify that in their player instructions instead of an arrow, might be worth a go!

I'll give closing down a go too while im there!

Kuyt seems to do ok with the long shots for me, I keep an eye on it anyway, I had Torres on mixed and he kept spooning them everywhere so I put it on rarely, if Kuyt does the same.... I'll tell him oi stop it you flannel!

Have anyone managed to make a successful 4-4-2 formation with short passing? I like to use offensive wingers to get the best out of Babel and Pennant, but i can't seem to get it right. You are supposed to play short, slow and wide to play possesion football, right?

Originally posted by Rune Nilssen:

Have anyone managed to make a successful 4-4-2 formation with short passing? I like to use offensive wingers to get the best out of Babel and Pennant, but i can't seem to get it right. You are supposed to play short, slow and wide to play possesion football, right?

Not neccesarily. The thing I have found with trying to play a slow game with short passing and width is that passes tend to get intercepted on their way out wide. Possesion is all very well but it's where you have the possesion that counts. If you're having 60% but it's in your defensive 3rd it's not going to get you anywhere. Try upping the passing slightly. I play a slowish tempo with mixed passing and width and it works for me. My formation is a few posts up if you want to have a look. I didn't divulge my team instructions because that's something for the tactics threads.

If you want to play with lots of width and a slow, short passing game then you gonna have to get a bit of luck or get the tactic spot on. I've tried it in a few matches on '07, didn't work. Tried it in a friendly on the demo, didn't work (my defeat against Panathinaikos).

Try playing a normal tempo, mixed passing (one notch above short) with width full or a couple of notches away, as I found this to bring the best results on an '07 game with 'Pool in which more often than not we'd rip teams open with five-foot passes galore.

Guest Zidane29

I started my career with liverpool and decided to play a 4-4-2 diamond formation.

Players sold: Bennayoun, Kewell (5m over 24m), Agger (10m), Voronin (7.5m), Alonso (7.5m + 10m over 24m) Kuyt (swap with Riquelme)

Players brought: Riquelme (swap with Kuyt), Downing (13m), Ledley King (15m), Marcelo (5.5m), Owen (10m), Olegur, Gourcuff, Albeida and a G.K (on loan)

Doing quite well so far beat everton and red star 2-0, here is my starting line up:

Reina

Finnan King Carragher Riise

Sissoko

Gerrard Downing

Riquelme

Torres Owen

November Results Update

League

Middlesbrough 1 - 3 Liverpool

Babel, Torres 2

Liverpool 1 - 1 Blackburn

Voronin

Derby County 0 - 3 Liverpool

Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt

European Cup Group G

Levski Sofia 0 - 5 Liverpool

Riise, Kuyt, Voronin 2, Lucas

Liverpool 2 - 2 Olympique Lyonnais

Gerrard, Kuyt

Originally posted by you'll_never_walk_alone:

Some good results there OST, Voronin, Kuyt and Torres look like they are playing well, Whos your starting 2?

I tend to rotate all 4 to be honest. Probably Crouch & Torres are my favoured pair but Crouch is injured at the moment. I'll get their stats up in a bit for you to have a look at.

Archived