Fm debate - best away tactic to use

Firstly apologies if a similar thread has already been started, but after trawling through most of the posts in this forum, I was wondering if anyone has found a strong and successful AWAY tactic for FM09 version 9.3?

I have used most of the popular tactics that are available for download and I am a big admirer of Tylerbode's V6 tactic for home matches as with the right players in the right positions you can score goals for fun but have not been able to find a tactic that can be equally as effective away from home.

Obviously whilst I understand that playing away from home is going to be more difficult than home games, I was hoping fellow FM players could recommend what tactics they find most success with when playing away games?

Please note I am talking about 9.3 version only.

I think it was wwfan that mentioned in a thread somewhere that in FM, home games are 6% easier to win, whilst away games are 6% harder to win. Now although there's clearly something programmed into the game to that effect, 6% either way isn't really a big percentage at all in my opinion.

Ok, it can make a difference if you have two very evenly matched teams, so you just need to be a little cuter with your tactics. I don't tend to use "sets" of tactics myself. I don't tend to alter things much home or away, bar a few slider changes during matches for the merit of circumstances I observe during play.

Have a look through "Tactics: A Less is More Perspective." by SFraser, and "I think I'm on to something - read if you are new or are struggling with tactics" by lam. They both discuss a more global approach to tactics.

Although I've always had a preference for very detailed and organised individual player settings, I've been experimenting with more global based team settings for particular units in the team, such as defensive, support and offensive. If you've got a good defensive unit generally, your defensive line and marking instructions are sound, why change them? Work on areas such as support and attack can make a big difference and be changed with ease with a more global approach. That's the theory anyway. So do take a look at those two threads, I'm sure you'll find them interesting reading and if you can manage to gain more of an insight into the global approaches discussed, I believe that you'll begin to even out home and away performances and wonder what the problem was. :)

Thanks, nice post there Heath.

I would admit that I'm a particularly lazy FM user and don't spend nearly enough time analyzing tactics than I should do. I tend to play with one set tactic for home games which is very successful and one for away games, although I'm finding myself getting beat against much lesser opposition in away matches than I care for, therefore need to sort this problem out sooner rather than later before it ruins my season.

Heath - I'll check out those links you mentioned, but if anyone would care to share their views on successful away tactics with screenshots or links then please do.

Mark6880 - Part of the problem though, is that I don't think anyone has come up with a really successful away tactic as yet. It's the Holy Grail for a lot of people on the forums. That's why I'm trying to point you in the direction of those two threads. It's entirely possible with a few simple tweaks, you could make your home tactic just as effective away.

This is exactly what I've done, leaning towards a more global approach of late, where you can make simple changes to passing, tempo, etc... during matches, working of just one tactic.

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, I am doing alot of testing with team-talks (which I will post about later). One of my conclusions I have made so far is that away tactics are only useful against very tough opponents. In my tests I have beat every team away, exept Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia (I am playing with Atletico Madrid).

So, what's my answer? I would say team-talks! If you have a good feeling about this, the tactics are less important. I am playing very attacking with my side and still I have no problems winning 2 or 3-0 on away games. This is maybe why people have difficulties finding the right away tactics...

PS. I have based my answer on my testing, which I haven't finished yet.

I just been promoted to the Premiership with Bradford City and I seem to be struggling away from home too so I know how you feel. I'm struggling at home too, but thats by the by.

I've found though that I get better results if I have a go at them and not try contain them. I do the same at home now too been getting some decent results by doing that while letting in some goals. I did have some more cautious tactics but they don't seem to work at all (both home and away), I didn't cause a threat to them and they were always going to get a chance or 3 at some point.

With an attacking mindset I've come close at Old Trafford (losing 3-2, to a last minute winner) and also get some decent results against the likes of 'Boro, Newcastle and Portsmouth.

Maybe try your home formation with a slight tweak to the fullbacks, and maybe set a central midfielder to holding role? See that helps?

I'm struggling away too. What I'm trying now is to not change so much from my succesful home tactic. Now i'm only putting FWR rarely on my fullbacks and if the ass man tells me that the opposition have fast strikers then I would put DL down from 15 to 11. Not working that well though but I'm out of ideas

Generally a tactic which is more cautious than what I would play at home given every other circumstance being exactly equal :D Not usually major changes to be honest, although there are big exceptions.

When my team is a great deal weaker than the opposition I consider making major changes to my approach - usually involving a much more defensive formation and tactically being a lot more defensively minded than even a counterattack. Sometimes a point ain't such a bad prize as the risk to get all 3 will probably see my team get tonked quite convincingly.

I don't change anything when away from home, I start the game exactly the same. The tweaks I make are the same as I would make if at home in the same situation. Just keep an eye on the match stats and player ratings to see if anyone is getting isolated or run rings round.

So, what's my answer? I would say team-talks! If you have a good feeling about this, the tactics are less important. I am playing very attacking with my side and still I have no problems winning 2 or 3-0 on away games. This is maybe why people have difficulties finding the right away tactics...

I would agree with this. The motivational benefits of teamtalks can easilly cover minor deficiencies in tactics. Obviously the best results would come from a flawless tactic with superb motivation, but I have noticed that once established with a solid and well gelled tactic you can essentially concentrate on motivation and squad rotation for the majority of the season.

I don't think you should use a different tactic from home to away. Perhaps tweak it, and make it more counter attacking or defensive etc but a new tactic entirely.
That's exactly what i do,tweak my home tactic and make it slightly less attacking and hit them on the break,works good aswell.

I used to use a 4-3-3 variant for my away games on 9.2.0 and previous, which was comprised of:

2x tall, strong centrebacks, playing defensively

2x moderately pacy fullbacks with good tackling and marking (adept at CB usually), RWB and FR mixed

1x deep-lying playmaker with high passing and creativity, staying deep but passing direct

2x ball-winning hardmen with good tackling, marking and workrate dominating the oppo CM's and passing short to the playmaker

2x pacy wingers with decent goalscoring ability, preferably two-footed or opposed (right footer at AML, etc) and the capability to be AMx/FC (ie, with free roles) - RWB and FR always

1x fast striker with decent passing and creativity

The five deep players (playmaker and backs) and the striker would mark zonally, while the wingers track back only as far as the opposition fullbacks do. With the free roles, they use the channels. Marking zonally, so would the main striker. The essence of this tactic is that either the strong back four or the two musclemen in midfield break down play, and generally feed the playmaker. He looks up and slings the ball in behind a generally pushed up defense (if playing a strongish team) or goes to the creative striker, who then pops a ball into space for the near winger-forward. Since the wide men are on their wrong feet, they will run inside and have a good goalscoring opportunity.

This, however, relies on players running with the ball normally, and therefore won't work with the ME from update 9.3.0. Any version before that, it's a dream... although clearly it does rely on having good ball winners, a couple of creative players, and pacy, versatile forwards.

4-3-3 always seems to be the best for me after about a season. Always have good wingers, they're the most important part of the team And make sure all of your midfield can shoot from distance, I get about 30 goals in all competitions from long shots alone.

Archived