The Art Of Counter Attacking

So I found myself browsing through some videos on utube a few days ago; then a came across the one below.

It’s simple, it effective, attractive, and just breathtaking! Right?

Anyway, after watching it over and over again, I couldn’t help but start to think whether i could actually build a counter attacking tactic for my Barcelona team. A tactic that utilises the raw pace of my team. A tactic that always catches the opposition off guard, time and time again.

So I came up with this ..

http://www.2shared.com/file/4995709/bef5769e/The_Art_Of_Counter_AttackinG__Barcelona_May_2014_.html

I know I am using Barcelona (just did the treble with the tactic), but just give the tactic a chance.

Btw whichever team you choose to test with, has to have fast wingers and striker. The faster the better.

Players

CB – typical good defenders really. They don’t have to be quick

FB – these guys are key to the tactic. They have to be quick and be able to run and cross the ball. 1 of my fullbacks got 26 assists and 12 goals.

DM – typical defensive midfielder (high work rate and teamwork). Helps if they are good in the air.

CM – helps if they are good at getting in the box and getting onto the end of crosses.

Wingers – these need to be speed demons and good dribblers. Also helps if they can finish (helps if everyone in the team can finish. Goals come from everywhere - even CB).

Striker – speed demon. Helps if he’s good in the air and has enough strength to hold up the ball.

no opposition instructions.

make sure your team talks are relevant.

Anyone who wants to test the tactic is welcome.

Champions league final result.

th.d71e99a47e.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should probably post a screenshot of your formation, and tell us the types of defenders needed also...

Anyway, I downloaded it, just to have a look.

(I'm looking at some tactics on this forum. I'm going to attempt to make my own tactic very successful, by merging together a couple of ingenious ideas - Counter-Attacking being one of them).

So, I looked at your tactic. It seems like you've barely adjusted the sliders, bar 2.

And you've completely limited every players Creative Freedom, bar your Wingers and Striker...

Does this mean that your player simply pass the ball, run forwards, pass, run forwards? No crossing the ball etc.?

Also, does High Attacking, but Counter-Attack actually work? Usually, to Counter-Attack, you've got to be quite defensive...

Or at least in a defensive position. For Example, Free Kick at the edge of the box, or a corner...

I won't be using this, at the moment. Simply because I don't want to use a tactic which has only 1 striker.

i have limited creative freedom to make sure we stay compact when the opposition are attacking. creative freedom is best used sparingly anyway.

i did adjust the sliders but i decided the ones i am using work best (and i am trying to keep it simple so even damn players can just get on with it).

attacking mentality and counter attacking does work. the trick is in using a defensive formation (in this case a 451) so all the players are sitting in deep positions when we win the ball and start the counter (even more effective against big teams).

an attacking mentality also means the whole team floods their box when we attack; therefore increasing the chance of scoring a goal.

thanks for the feedback.

Looks promising; this is the way I play on PES, packing the box and not giving the opposition a way through to goal, then hitting quickly on the break. Same formation too.

Had a friendly with my Newcastle side against parma, basic team. I put in Lovenkrants as he's much pacier than the technical Duff, and Martins up front.

5-0 up at half time, which was the final result.

22 shots to their 4, 59% possession. Never looked in trouble, and ripped right through them with wave after wave of attacks.

So yeah, initially it looks brilliant, but that's just from a friendly. I'll carry on playing and will report back.

Looks promising; this is the way I play on PES, packing the box and not giving the opposition a way through to goal, then hitting quickly on the break. Same formation too.

Had a friendly with my Newcastle side against parma, basic team. I put in Lovenkrants as he's much pacier than the technical Duff, and Martins up front.

5-0 up at half time, which was the final result.

22 shots to their 4, 59% possession. Never looked in trouble, and ripped right through them with wave after wave of attacks.

So yeah, initially it looks brilliant, but that's just from a friendly. I'll carry on playing and will report back.

brilliant.

you wont get much possession or successful passes, but who cares when you can score goal after goal.

i only concede goals from corners or freekicks btw.

thanks for the feedback.

More feedback; halfway through November, doing very well. Defensively sound, as you'd expect from packing your own half out, and very good away frome home. Only lost 1 game so far, sitting in 3rd 1 point behind Arsenal.

At home I find you have to untick the counter attack. I also tried moving the wingers forward to the AML/R positions but that resulted in the full backs becoming exposed. By unticking the counter attack I came back from 2-0 against liverpool to hammer them 5-2, absolutely stunning result. We just steamrolled right over them with wave after wave of unrelenting attacks, was beautiful to watch.

2 more tips - I sometimes make the back line deeper to draw them onto me if I can't break through or if they're fidnign a route to goal. Also, my right full back (Paulao Ferrari) is much better for pace, dribbling and crossing than my left back (Jose Enrique) so I've instructed my goalkeeper to make Ferrari come and collect the ball from him, that way you can attack straight away instead of having to fight to get the ball from a goal kick.

good to see you doing well mate, and thanks for the tips, i will try them out.

its interesting that a deep d line is working for you though. i used to use a deep d-line but the passing was woeful (unless i decreased the mentality; which kind of makes sense).

btw, although i have set the defenders and DM to man mark, it doesn't mean that you have to actually have to man mark the the opposition.

keep me updated. and thanks for the feedback.

Like I said in my post earlier, I want to make a successful tactic, coupling together a few interesting ideas and such.

Therefore, I decided to adopt part of your tactic.

Instead of playing a 4-1-4-1, I played a 4-3-1-2, with two wide players in midfield.

I went slightly attacking, and dropped my D-Line to normal, instead of 'Push-up', as I usually have it.

I set my Time-Wasting a few notches before it became 'Rarely', and noticed that you 'Play Down Both Flanks'. Therefore I tried this style of play.

I was at the Emirates, against Arsenal.

I'm Man City.

My final result was 0-2, to me, obviously.

I got an excellent performance from my Left Winger, Yury Zhirkov, who assisted both goals, from Vagner Love and Robinho.

Here are the Match Stats:

02arsecity.png

So, whilst I didn't use your tactic, you definitely inspired me. And got me a very important result.

Both of my goals came from Counter-Attacks also. ;)

Therefore, I thank you very much.

I see. I did try closing down Man Utd's wingers but still got hammered 4-0 (my squad is still developing), I still find the need to mark an AMC, such as Everton's Tim Cahill, out of the game though.

as long as its working for you mate. i just dont like tweaking the tactic before every game, it just gets boring. you dont necessarily have to to mark an AM, as long as you use a normal - high d-line. this reduces the space he has to operate in; therefore making him less effective.

Interesting thread.

I'm trying to get a counter-attack working with Notts County for away games, but haven't had much luck so far.

What's your closing down like?

I would advise that you don't...

I had mines at Normal, or one notch closer to 'Own Area' from Normal.

I.e, it was either 9 or 10.

But I done this the game afterwards, and conceeded from Long Range.

So just be careful...

new to to game, this looks like great stuff, i've been messing aroung with sunderland and have been doing well until lately, i can't wait to put this to the test! thanks guys. i was a little dissapointed to see that moving the ml and mr to amr and aml was not very successfull, since i have a lot of am's on my squad.

just train them so they become accomplished playing as Ml and MR.

actually i have a tactic that needs testing. it only requires an excellent target man for its effectiveness and uses attacking wingers. i can upload it if you want.

i was testing it with chelsea and won all 3 games scoring 7 goals and conceding 1. i only stopped testing it because i wanted to make this counter attacking tactic.

Interesting thread.

I'm trying to get a counter-attack working with Notts County for away games, but haven't had much luck so far.

What's your closing down like?

try using normal closing down, but you have to use a solid formation to prevent too many long shots.

using low closing down will result in the opposition having too much space. high closing down will not give the opposition enough time to attack and get in vulnerable positions (which is what we want).

just train them so they become accomplished playing as Ml and MR.

actually i have a tactic that needs testing. it only requires an excellent target man for its effectiveness and uses attacking wingers. i can upload it if you want.

i was testing it with chelsea and won all 3 games scoring 7 goals and conceding 1. i only stopped testing it because i wanted to make this counter attacking tactic.

sure i would love to see that. for now i'll be giving this one a test drive.

It dosnt look like that you have touched closing down or passing - its just default? Then how can that this be a succesfull tactic? For me it looks weird but Im not a genius

the main reason why some people are not successful at playing this game is because they overcomplicate things. i a always try to keep things simple. there is no need to change every slider, it just confuses me (lol) and the players.

the key is simplicity.

haven't tried it with a lower team yet, but i dont see why not. if it doesnt, drop mentality and dline (Dline should be 1 notch before deep. try first notch of attacking with mentality).

i gave it a spin last night, and got beat 2-0, honestly it wasn't that close, i just think Man city has my number this game, i'm going to give it another go next game.

Season finished, 2nd place. Pushed Man Utd all the way until the final 5 games when they took off, but I never looked like slipping up.

Totally chuffed with this, brilliant stuff.

awesome staff. thanks for the feedback guys.

sorry i haven't posted any updates for the new season yet, i just cant find the time to actually play this week. luckily, i am free tomorrow so i will post an update.

Based on that video of counter attack goals, I would say that the obvious settings would be;

· Defensive/Low-Normal Mentality

· Direct Passing throughout the team

· Low Closing Down and DL (Not too low, might concede from long range)

· Lots of through balls

· Attacking players on forward runs

Generally you're going to require quick players with good dribbling and passing stats. I'll create my own CA Tactic in games away from home, and see how it goes. At home I prefer domination and possession. At first I will play watching the full match so I can pick out the weaknesses and strengths more easily.

Based on that video of counter attack goals, I would say that the obvious settings would be;

· Defensive/Low-Normal Mentality

· Direct Passing throughout the team

· Low Closing Down and DL (Not too low, might concede from long range)

· Lots of through balls

· Attacking players on forward runs

Generally you're going to require quick players with good dribbling and passing stats. I'll create my own CA Tactic in games away from home, and see how it goes. At home I prefer domination and possession. At first I will play watching the full match so I can pick out the weaknesses and strengths more easily.

sounds about right. good luck.

Ouch, nasty.

OK, finished 2nd season in 3rd place (losing 2nd to Chelsea by 3 points), knocked out of CL in 1st knock-out BUT won the FA and League Cups. :D

The problem I have now is my forward, Vagnar Love. He's worth £28 Million but he's only scored 30 in two seasons, his lack of strength means he gets bowled over everytime he tries to hold up the ball.

So I'm putting my faith in a guy from Porto named Hulk; this guy looks incredible (lol) with great physical and technical skills with good mental ones too, so hopefully I'll make a killing this summer on Love.

not bad mate. i have noticed too that you need to have a striker with enough strength to hold up the ball.

as for me, its not all bad. i managed to beat real madrid even though i was playing my weakest side, with a seventeen year old player as my striker (lol)

th.93a0a030c9.jpg

Yeah I forgot all about needing strength. I'm reluctant to let him go because he's clearly one of the best strikers in the world, he just isn't cutting it for me though.

Still, I've bought a more than worthy replacement already in Hulk.

yes, hulk does seem like an ideal replacement (rather strange name though).

update.

th.f0d6f4ac61.jpg

not too much a bad start to be honest.

if anyone starts to struggle with the tactic, i would advice decreasing the mentality by 1 notch; which seems to make the team play better.

Archived