Question about RAM upgrade

So far I'm playing FM on a PC with a tri-core phenom and 2gb RAM (2x1gb). I have no problems with the processing speed, running about 20 leagues from 10 countries.

My question is, if I was to upgrade the RAM so I'd be able to ran more leagues, should I buy the same 2x1gb module and have 4gb in total, or buy a 2x2gb module instead? Would it be possible to ran the game with a "mixed" RAM system-that is keeping the original 2x1gb RAM and also installing the 2x2gb module? Of course I'll have 6bg in total, but would it create some kind of conflict? Note that the timmings are the same (5-5-5-15) for both modules.

Forgot to mention that FM is pretty much the only "heavy" application on my PC, the other staff is office-like programs I need for my job, so, nothing serious. Could you enlighten me on this?

Ive got a 32bit laptop but with 4gig ram, ive not noticed any problems?

You won't get any problems, it will just not be fully utilized.

A lot of laptops today are sold with Win Vista 32 bit and 4 GB RAM (my own for example) so it will run for sure.

If your machine is running a 32bit O/S then it will only actually recognise 3.5GB of RAM even if you have more than that installed. To answer the OP regarding 'mixed' RAM, it'll run fine as long as it's the correct RAM for the motherboard. Someone has already posted a link for crucial memory (they wouldn't be my choice but that's just a personal thing) so if you use the RAM that they suggest then it'll be fine.

Press Ctrl-alt-Del when playing FM09 and take a look @ memory occupation.

It never goes over 700-800-900 MB therefore 1GB for FM is more than enough.

Wait a minute, do you mean that the RAM quantity has nothing to do with the number of leagues running and the database size? Is it just the CPU speed that matters? If I could actually upgrade my system to, let's say, 4gb RAM, wouldn't that make fm run faster?

I think the extra RAM will make a bit of difference but not too much. I have 4GB installed on my 32-bit system (although it only sees/uses 3.5GB) and FM09 runs lovely. However, at 2GB it also ran very well - I suppose all I've noticed is I can now run others apps at the same time while playing such as internet, Limewire etc without compromising on game speed.

Archived