Football Murder 2009: A Manager Mystery

AllyJoseph

Winter, cold, dark, murderous...Give it a break Hazza lad, just press continue!

It was 23:09 according to my laptop as I sat up in my university bed, I say "university bed" for the benefit of those of you who have slept in a "University Bed", as my MSN was going wild. It was nothing unusual, it was the daily ritual me and a few other friends had, that ritual was called football manager.

MSN

HAZZA: Gisa break layd, I was jus tellin you fine lads about Midsummer Murders!

I ignored MSN for the most part, 10 guys from all walks of life chattering away about nothing in particular. I only got involved when I scored against one of their teams. Harry, or Hazza as we all had called him since we where 5 or 6 years old was the scouse friend everyone wanted, but no one listened to. Motormouth wasn't a strong enough word for Hazza, every time you looked at the mass 10 person MSN conversation it was filled with his inane ramblings, what made it worse is he typed in "scouse". He knew we hated it, that's why he did it. Eventually the background of the laptop changed colour and it was clear Hazza had given us all he wanted about Midsummer Murders and had finally pressed continue.

MSN

Danster What a GOAL!: About time Haz, it seems like we're taking hours to do a day's worth of play

Simpo: I'll second that...

Hazza: Alrite alrite calm downs calm downs

Ally(*): For god sake Hazza no one says that, I don't think anyone actually ever DID say that.

Danster What a GOAL!: No one says that anymore Hazza!

Danster What a GOAL!: What Ally said...

The night continued on like this for a while before the real reason I played Football Manager with these 9 particular friends became apparent, the real reason "Ally" was hardly seen pop up in MSN. A knock at the door.

As the door creaked open stood in front of me was the girl of everyone's dreams, she was the woman you loved, but you knew you couldn't have. Her name was Suzie, Suzie with a Z. Her blond hair reminded me of sunshine and her underwear reminded me of good times, I usually let them roll. As she walked in she said nothing, I closed the door behind her and we began to kiss, it wasn't long before we where making love. She was the real reason I was playing Football Manager, she was the reason "Ally" was hardly seen pop up in MSN and more importantly, she was Daniel Brookes, aka "Danster's" wife. Don't ask me how or when it started as how do you judge something like that? How can you tell when the lines became blurred? No all I knew is that Football Manager was the perfect cover, he was playing, I was online, she "couldn't stand him playing his silly game with 'the stick men'" an agreement was made that she'd go out whilst he played every night during the week. Danster was none the wiser, still we tried to keep things as low key and in house as possible. As romantic as it sounded, straight after sex I HAD to talk to my mates, her husband, on MSN. I had to pretend I'd been away for a minute, the usual excuse was I was getting a sandwich, poor excuse had started to run a bit thin. It was time for the new one....

MSN

Hazza: Were r u Ally layd?

Hazza: Allllllyyyyyy???

Jim "THE MAN" House: mon Ally getting a bit boring waiting!

Simpo: Force Continue?

Ally(*): HERE!

Jim "THE MAN" House: Bout time!

Ally(*): Had to unleash something nasty from my bowels!

Jim "THE MAN" House: Not needed!

Simpo: Eeeew!

Samwise Gamgee: God Sake Al man!

The screen continued as the debate on MSN continued, Sam, Simpo, Jim, Charlie and Gareth all told crude jokes about toilets and then conjectured that I was probably terrible in bed and had a tiny penis. The typical "lad" culture jokes, I was immune to them as Suzie was nibbling on my ear telling me to come back to bed. I couldn't she knew it, she was always a tease, I needed to play for a while to appease the guys, it was getting late though and we wouldn't have much time together. 00:45, no play for 15 minutes, more distressingly no word from Hazza since he asked where the hell I was.

MSN

Ally(*): Hazza?

A lot of responses, but none from Hazza, unusual. I brought it to everyones attention and we found out we where actually waiting for him to continue as well.

MSN

Ally(*): Hazza you here? Shall we force continue?

Simpo: I'll do it....

We force continued, we force continued again at 01:00, Suzie left, she didn't say much, we shared a kiss. 01:30, I don't think we realised the time as we started to worry about Hazza. I tried to ring him no answer. Suddenly at 01:38 it was announced that "Hazza is typing a message".

MSN

Hazza: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21

Charlie: What the hell? We wait about 2 hours for that!

Simpo: It's Fibonacci...

Jim "THE MAN" House: What the hell is Fibonacci?

Simpo: Number sequence.

Ally(*): This ain't right at all, Hazza knowing something to do with a guy with a name like Fibonacci!

HAZZA HAS LEFT THE CONVERSATION

Next day, cops found him, sat in his chair. He had been strangled, ligature marks around his neck made that clear. Not much sign of a struggle though suggested he knew his killer. Time of death put it around 00:25, that meant either his corpse had left a strange MSN message post death, or his killer had sent a strange message to us all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived