The Lost Season 4 thread *for episodes aired in the US/abc.com* *season 3 spoilers and a mid-season cut-off guranteed*

rosslarkin

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Ahh I can't believe I didn't link Ben waking up in Tunisia to the moment after he turned the weel. icon_redface.gif

No idea how that slipped past...

Me too. Also didn't catch the connection between the wheel and the polar bears in the desert.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the moment in Tunisia is the moment after Ben turns the wheel. It's interesting how season 4 has worked, with flashforwards going in reverse (on the whole). It'll be interesting to see how they'll work with the flashforwards/flashbacks, if at all, next season.

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

If you are still watching it now thinking everything going to be sensible and we'll always get answers I suggest you give up now.

icon_smile.gif

Things like the numbers we are never going to find out what they mean. That doesn't make all the times they were on the show any less memorial though (imo)

You're right. I'm looking for something I'm not going to get from the show now. Which is really disappointing because I thought for a while that they had everything planned and it was all going to tie together but it's clearly not.

I'm obviously just looking for something different to most of the people here. I don't mind suspending my disbelief - I can accept Jin's miracle English skills etc. - but it all seems like a huge waste of time when we're saying the writers are basically winging it.

I mean, Jack has been more determined to get off the island than anyone else and yet now he's trying to get people to go back. Is it beyind the writers to try and show us why that volte face may have occurred?

And the thing about revealing who gets off the island right at the start of the series was a terrible idea. When Jack got seriously ill the other week there was no edge to the storyline because we knew he surviced to make it back home.

A lot of people seem happy to have no answers and to be led along, and that's fine. I'll probably crack by the time the next season starts anyway.

HUH?!

Do you not think it will get revealed next season as to why Jack wants to go back? There is a three year period between Jack leaving the island and wanting to go back, which will be duly covered on the show.

It's not at all like they've just made him change his mind in five minutes without reason or rationale, which you seem to be portraying it as.

Originally posted by Ando THFC:

I mean, Jack has been more determined to get off the island than anyone else and yet now he's trying to get people to go back. Is it beyind the writers to try and show us why that volte face may have occurred?

Wasn't this clearly stated in the finale? Locke, as Bentham, came to Jack and explained that terrible things happened on the island after he left, and that his departure (or that of the whole group) was the cause. It's not hard to surmise that given the fact that Jack's life off-island is pretty terrible - separated from Kate, his addiction - he would want to return to the island, a time when he had a purpose.

Originally posted by Ando THFC:

And the thing about revealing who gets off the island right at the start of the series was a terrible idea. When Jack got seriously ill the other week there was no edge to the storyline because we knew he surviced to make it back home.

That sickness was a very odd situation, I thought so at the time too. I didn't get the impression that they were building serious suggestions that Jack would die, it was possibly some kind of plot device. I don't know whether they wanted Jack to be vulnerable for some reason or whether, for example, we'll see in the next series accusations of 'how did you have your appendix removed if you were the only doctor on the island?'

Yeah, I get why Jack feels the need to go back.

What he should have said to Locke/Bentham when he told him bad things had happened on the island is "well fella, before we got there there was a massacre, and whilst we were there numerous people died, so how exactly could it get worse?"

And then taken an overdose.

I think when they pull the wire they break the circuit and "Boom". However the battery being frozen keeps the circuit completed, but the chemical reaction is slowed and so when the signal is sent to start the reaction it takes longer than normal.

Originally posted by Oz:

one thing that bothers me. If they froze the battery so there was no electric charge to the detonators, why couldn't they just freeze it then pull all the detonators out?

It was booby-trapped to blow if that would happen , so pulling them out when frozen would be useless as when the cables eventually defrosted, the C4 would react to the booby trap being triggered.

i think its going to be interesting how they structure the next season. Will the season start from when they get off the island or will it start from Ben meeting Jack in the funeral parlour?

either way it will leave a lot to explained on what happened between these 2 points.

Also will they have episodes which completely focus on the people on the island and others on the Oceanic 6?

Will they still use flashbacks and flashforwards?

im sure i read somewhere that season 5 would concentrate on them trying to get back to the island.

Im thinking off-island they will start from Ben meeting Jack, leading onto them trying to find a way back to the island, while using flashbacks to show what happened since they got off the island,

Not sure about flash forwards tbh. on one hand i thought it was a great idea but on the other, knowing what happens spoils some of the current stroylines, the Jack operation for example were we knew he would survive it

I would have thought it would take the two sides of the Jack et al getting back to the island.

And the people already on the island wondering where they have gone. (as I presume it will be obvious to them they have moved location)

Im sure the on-island characters will presume the oceanic 6 to be dead, along with Jin and Desmond.

Im quite disappointed that Michael only met with a couple of the the other losties before he died. i would have liked to the see the reaction of people such as Jack, Sawyer and Hurley if they met him again

Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

I dont think they will start with the coffin scene either. it will be something incredibly random.

yeah im sure they will start with the first scene being something random like the previous seasons.

After that the previous seasons have basically just picked up where they left off, but that was before there were any flashforwards. We now have 2 time lines where they could start from

I'm almost certain that the end of the next season will have some or all of the Oceanic 6 going back to the island, whether that's in flashback or normal time.

I'm inclined to think that the main bulk of the action will continue to take place on the island, with the off-island story running in parallel - from the rescue of the Oceanic 6 through to the funeral parlour scene towards the end of the series and the return to the island as the finale.

I've been trying to think of hard facts from the later flashforwards that tie down what'll happen on the island in the intervening time. Locke's escape, activity and apparent death are obvious, I can't really think of anything else.

Do you think that it is possible that the writers will switch from the 'present' as the main storyline, to the 'future', with the 'present' storylines becoming auxilliary and shown as flashbacks, at any time?

I'm just interested as to how, at the end, they will bring the past, present and future to a head - I had presumed it would be with everyone getting off the island, but that was blown out of the water this season.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see them do anything with the stories. The familiar formula for Lost has island events progressing chronologically with interspersed, sometimes non-chronological scenes relevant to the main character. I can't really think of how the 'relevance' bit will work in this series, as we have two sections of time that have to be explained that run parallel and don't seem to be related.

If we follow a principal character in each episode, the vast majority won't have a part to play on-island and off-island. I suppose they could continue the flash-forward idea by following the Oceanic 6 off-island whilst showing us glimpses of their return to the island, but what does that leave for series 6?

I'm beginning to wonder whether the finale will have all of the Losties dying (perhaps save a meaningful exception, Walt?) The way Michael died and the possible path towards Locke's death make me wonder whether all of those on the plane had a purpose on the island, the fulfilment of which leads to their death. I'm still obsessed with the two skeletons found in the first series - they must be characters we know. Sun and Jin? Kate and Jack/Sawyer? As long as they aren't those two randoms that were killed off earlier this season, they may well be another two principal characters that die.

Last night on Lost, Ben moved the island—presumably thousands of miles. Could he actually do that, without huge accelerations that would obliterate all structures and kill all the people on the island? The surprising answer, in physics, is yes ... sort of. The trick is that you don't really move the island. Rather, you change its space-time connection to the rest of the Earth.

Space and time in relativity theory are quite flexible. Gravity is one manifestation of that. According to Einstein's discovery, the presence of mass-energy warps space-time; what we perceive as gravity is just the curvature of space-time. That's the Theory of General Relativity, now firmly established by experimental tests. The strange behavior of time and space (the fact that two twins traveling apart can experience different amounts of time, for example) are verified daily in our physics labs, using radioactive particles rather than twins. I've verified this myself.

Here's a simple example of how you can change distances without moving. The distance between the Sun and Alpha-Centauri is about 4.3 light years. If a small black hole passed in between, the gravitational effects on the two stars would be negligible—yet the direct line distance between the two would become infinite. The two stars haven't moved; rather, you have changed the nature of space in the in-between region. The black hole has an infinitely deep space warp surrounding it. Of course, if you want to travel between the two stars, just go around—avoid the black hole.

Perhaps you've read about wormholes, those theoretical objects in current relativity theory. We don't know of any that exist, but they do appear to be possible. Physicists love to play with the concept. They can connect two parallel universes, or two parts of a folded universe. (A folded universe has three special dimensions that are curved in a fourth spatial dimension.)

To make physics sense of the movement of the island in Lost, I assume that the island is actually connected to the South Pacific by a wormhole-like warp in space-time. (It doesn't have to be a simple worm hole; it could be a warren of parallel and intersecting tubes.) Then, to move the island, all you have to do is move the wormhole connection, not the island itself. That's what I think Ben did. He changed the nature of the space-time connection between the island and the rest of the world.

So the island didn't disappear. It didn't even move. Imagine that you are visiting a small town that you used to visit when you were young. You drive for miles, and never come to it. But it turns out the town has not moved. Rather, the highway now goes around it. That's what Ben did—he changed the highway.

If this is right, it explains the role of Daniel Faraday, the physicist. From the references on his blackboard, and his experiments with space-time, it's clear he understands advanced relativity and quantum mechanics. He insists on traveling to and from the island on a precise trajectory of 305 degrees—perhaps to stay in the center of the wormhole, which is sort of like the eye of the needle. Stay within the eye, and you're okay—but any deviation wreaks havoc on your space-time (especially for a complex wormhole), thus accounting for Desmond's strange excursions in space and time.

I'm guessing if you have a real wormhole, it would have a structure like a sponge, and if you wander off and get stuck in that space-time continuum, then all sorts of strange things would happen. What would happen would be unpredictable, just like scientists have a hard time predicting waves in the ocean or a candle flame in the breeze. Those things are just complicated.

The Season Four finale also makes reference to the Casimir Effect. This is a well known phenomenon in quantum mechanics, and has been measured experimentally. The Casimir effect is a consequence of the fact that the vacuum contains energy. Some people speculate that one could draw on this vacuum energy for an unlimited supply. I don't think so, but maybe I am wrong, and Ben has figured out a way to do that. I suspect that Ben, too, is a physicist—the one person who has figured out how to understand the connection between quantum theory and relativity, and to manipulate them—at least to some degree, just as he manipulates people. That's why Charles Widmore is so anxious to capture Ben alive. Only Ben really understands the physics.

Link

I think the new season may well see the 'main' action taking place off the Island with flashbacks based on what Locke told the Oceanic 6 when he came to visit them. Either that or we will be shown two parallel story lines.

There is also the possibility that the Island moved in time too, just as Ben seemed to have done when he woke up in the desert (asking the hotel clerk '2005, right?'...

Anyway, the series is setup for the writers to include just about anything and I'm sure whatever theories I come up with, I'll still be completely surprised when Season 5 begins icon_biggrin.gif

don't get why people are saying locke can't be dead and it could be a dummy at all. with the few seasons left they've got 3 years of story upto that point to explain so it's not like he's not going to be in it much. he's going to be the main character for the remaining seasons imo.

Originally posted by The_Fish:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Just as long as the final episode ends with a tracking shot of the inside of a plane passing loads of the characters in the show (losties, others, Dharma, non-island people etc etc) to focus on Jack waking up, looking startled / confused, shaking his head, giving it a big ‘WTF’ look before the plane starts to violently shake – cut to black.

As an alternative ending, have him doing the same, but on the beach, being licked by the dog.

I'm assuming you have seen the Lost: Via Domus ending? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I've no idea what it is even?

Originally posted by knapp...:

don't get why people are saying locke can't be dead and it could be a dummy at all. with the few seasons left they've got 3 years of story upto that point to explain so it's not like he's not going to be in it much. he's going to be the main character for the remaining seasons imo.

Plus, there's the recurring plotline of jack ending up on the Island with a body in a coffin. I think Locke could then be 'used' by the Island following the return of the Oceanic 6 in a similar way to how we've seen Jack's dad this season.

My hope is that season the ‘present’ in season 5 will be the Oceanic 6 back on the island and dealing with whatever the situation is when they arrive…with the flashbacks being how they got back to the island (they will, so there’s no real dramatic reason to make it a question) and showing what’s happened on the island whilst they have been away.

I assume there’s nothing to stop the on island and off island timelines being very different? So, the time they’ve been away could be much shorter for those left on the island?

Does anyone think Jin may have jumped off the boat just in time and survived?

Also when Christian said to Michael 'You can go now' (or something like that) does it mean Michael could die?

With regards to the new series, seeing as the island is the prime location of the TV show, we may see the oceanic six back on the island to begin with, and the flashforwards/backs explain to us how they got there from this season's finale... icon14.gif

As foir the above poster, I did think initially, jin may have jumped as there was a short period of time for him to do so, and especially since he knew the boat was going to blow up.

Faraday is out there in a boat and may pick him up icon14.gif

Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

As for Jin I believe he's dead. He didn't have a flash forward all season.

Neither did anyone outside of the Oceanic 6. Does that mean Rose, Ben, Juliet etc. have to be dead as well?

I'd have thought that a death that isn't conclusive and featured on-screen isn't definitive, but the burial of those two random characters at the beginning of the series disabused me of that. Might still be proved wrong, though.

Originally posted by Nucampe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

As for Jin I believe he's dead. He didn't have a flash forward all season.

Neither did anyone outside of the Oceanic 6. Does that mean Rose, Ben, Juliet etc. have to be dead as well?

I'd have thought that a death that isn't conclusive and featured on-screen isn't definitive, but the burial of those two random characters at the beginning of the series disabused me of that. Might still be proved wrong, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meant to say Bernard there...

Originally posted by pjburrage:

Jin did have a fast forward didn't he?

Saw him with that other Korean chick having a baby

That was actually a flashback.

The episode made us believe it was all a flash forward but only Sun's portion was.

It doesnt matter if he has had one or not, Sawyer never had one and we know he is alive, the events of the flashforwards take palcewhen the likes of Juliet and Sawyer are still on the island, and presumably they remain there for the 3 years.

Originally posted by The_Fish:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goater666:

If Jin would of survived wouldnt he atleast met up with Juliette and Sawyer at some point?

How do you know he didn't? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose we dont. We could however look at how the writers have focused on Sun right at the end of the series, she wants to find the island, maybe she thinks hes not dead?

Archived