Games within games: What do you do?

When I play FM I have over the years developed a few games/hobbies within the game to keep me interested longer term and in between big matches. I thought I'd share some of them with you. I'm sure you have the same ones or perhaps others that I could do also:

- Take on a lower league affiliate and help them (by loaning them good players) to win their own top league

- Achieve a team average age of less than 23 and still win the league

- Use a squad of only 16 players to win the league/champions league, etc

- Focus on an individual player with excellent PA and train him to full PA before reaching 24.

- Have all players on contracts expiring 3 or more years from 'today'

- Manage the B team to success in the league with under 18 players. This is a really great tactical challenge this one.

- See if I can keep all my players on contracts worth less than what I earn.

- Reach 7 stars for all coaching areas

- Have knowledge of whole of europe/africa or the world

- Have coaches/scouts/physios to cover every major language

- Tour every nation with a reputation of X and over/under (This is great when you get to the last few and they reject you !!!)

- Achieve a goal difference of X (makes conceding goals when 5-0 up very important and keeps interest in easy games)

- Have a player in my team represeting each of the semi-finalists in the previous/forthcoming world cup

- Unsettling the best player from rival clubs (Not because I want to buy them but just to make them unhappy and play badly for them)

- Make friends with a particular manager

- Make enemies with a particular manager

- Achieve the highest profit on a player (sell price - cost of wages in career - buy price. My best so far is £36M)

That's enough for now, but there are many more. What about yours?

When I play FM I have over the years developed a few games/hobbies within the game to keep me interested longer term and in between big matches. I thought I'd share some of them with you. I'm sure you have the same ones or perhaps others that I could do also:

- Take on a lower league affiliate and help them (by loaning them good players) to win their own top league

- Achieve a team average age of less than 23 and still win the league

- Use a squad of only 16 players to win the league/champions league, etc

- Focus on an individual player with excellent PA and train him to full PA before reaching 24.

- Have all players on contracts expiring 3 or more years from 'today'

- Manage the B team to success in the league with under 18 players. This is a really great tactical challenge this one.

- See if I can keep all my players on contracts worth less than what I earn.

- Reach 7 stars for all coaching areas

- Have knowledge of whole of europe/africa or the world

- Have coaches/scouts/physios to cover every major language

- Tour every nation with a reputation of X and over/under (This is great when you get to the last few and they reject you !!!)

- Achieve a goal difference of X (makes conceding goals when 5-0 up very important and keeps interest in easy games)

- Have a player in my team represeting each of the semi-finalists in the previous/forthcoming world cup

- Unsettling the best player from rival clubs (Not because I want to buy them but just to make them unhappy and play badly for them)

- Make friends with a particular manager

- Make enemies with a particular manager

- Achieve the highest profit on a player (sell price - cost of wages in career - buy price. My best so far is £36M)

That's enough for now, but there are many more. What about yours?

I thought i was the only one lol. I don't THAT many but a few. The one's i do are:

- Help my feeder club -

I'm Burton & now in the Premiership in 2011/12 season & mines Histon. Helped them win Setanta Shield whilst they were still in the Blue Square North, and last season they got promoted to Blue Square Premier icon_smile.gif. Predicted to finish last but they're 16th at the mo. I've noticed all the players i send to them (bout 6, but some of my best youths) that their stats are actually improving at an impressive rate.

- Low average age -

I won consecutive championships from the BSP and am now 6 games into the Premiership season, sitting in 7th. First 3 games wer Man u, Arsenal & Liverpool and lost them all by 1-goal margins so im not doin to bad. All this and my average age has been 24 and below since the start of League 2 icon_smile.gif

- 7 Star Training -

Didn't achieve this until the Championship purely because of finances and reputation but everything was 7 stars for a season, then probably the most difficult one - Set Pieces - my bloody coach's stats dropped so now thats only 6 stars lol. It'll be 7 again though when money is a bit better.

I find doin this just makes the game better instead of just 'playing' it if you get me. You know, just pressing continue and playing the matches and thats it. There's much more to do if you can actually be bothered icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51 Cent:

There's much more to do if you can actually be bothered icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.

A couple of others I found to be quite difficult but fun.

I take on an international manager's job immediately after a World Cup. I then have 4 years to build a team with all my players coming from the country I now manage at international level.

If you want to take this even further (and what I'm doing now in one of my games), you can do this within as many continents as possible. I'm currently managed to win the World Cup with Portugal and Australia and have just been given the Argentina job. This sounds easy, but finding a club team that makes it possible to get 11 Argentinians is quite a challenge - especially since I did't choose Argentina as one of my playable leagues - and I don't want to start a new game now. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

- Manage the B team to success in the league with under 18 players. This is a really great tactical challenge this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought only the Ass. Manager could take control of the games?

I think that is the best one of the lot IMO, helpin your poor feeder club by sending your players to them, your best youths though that need playing time, and giving them a helping hand. Once they establish themselves in a league and get a bit of cash in the coffers, you could go onto the next one

I also attempt to do many of the things you've mentioned while playing long term games, particularly winning the league with a young team.

The one thing I do always try to do though, once whatever club I'm managing eventually becomes all powerful and rich, is to build a first team consisting entirely of English players. The last time I managed to successfully do this was in my FM07 Sunderland save, although I was quite a few years in. My best 13 or 14 players were all English and the world cup winning England starting line-up consisted of 9 players from my club. It also had another 3 of my players on the bench.

I have a feeling it'll be a long time before I can attempt this with my current Gateshead team.

This is quite a long term challenge ive set myself, but i can see it being quite fun!

the aim of my challenge is to win the top leagues in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland, in the same game. Currently at Rosenborg and have just won the league, so now looking for my way out to the next country! its a good challenge because you have to wait until other managers are sacked then resurrect that team back up to the top!

Sounds fun mate! My intention is usually to start at a low club and gradually work my way up into better jobs, but when your doing well, winning, making a profit and overall, drastically improving the clubs fortunes, why not stay with them and help them succeed. Every game i think this lol

Next game i start, i'm gonna load a few leagues and pick the team with the most rubbish facilities, finances etc and see if i can actually change clubs.

I get too attatched lol

-Play in england only with welsh players.

-Fill wales national squad with my players.

-Play with as many players from my academy as I can.

-Buy nearly always players under 18

-Train players in many roles.

-make always all subs before last 20 minutes

-Pick a lower team and bring it to the top.

-Stay at the same team until chairman sacks me.

I had gone 23 games unbeaten and then came up against Valenciennes in the Champions League group stages ... AND LOST to them.

What I forgot until it was too late was that they are my affiliate project for the season and they have lots of my great players in their team.

Also, just to let you know that I have now won the world cup with:

Scotland

Australia

Argentina

I've now been offered the Japan job so it's looking good for the 'Continental' clean sweep. Anyone else managed to do it with teams from each continent?

p.s. I'm now trying to find a club team that will take 14-15 Japanese players. icon14.gif

I enjoy helping out my affiliates...

Send all my South American / African / Asian starlets who cant get work permits to Westerlo, where they get some good first team action...

But no matter how good they perform, Westerlo never gets into Europe...can any1 explain that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y@$H!:

But no matter how good they perform, Westerlo never gets into Europe...can any1 explain that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to set Belgium as one of your viewable/playable leagues to get much of the benefit of having your players loaned out to them. Do you do that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y@$H!:

But no matter how good they perform, Westerlo never gets into Europe...can any1 explain that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to set Belgium as one of your viewable/playable leagues to get much of the benefit of having your players loaned out to them. Do you do that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope icon_frown.gif Only running EPl and the Championship... thought it wouldn't matter though as some arb clubs always get into the inter-toto cup at the very least, lol...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51 Cent:

All i can think of is their reputation has something to do with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and another weird thing is that absolutely ZERO players come through the academy - my players that are loaned there are the only players!!! (except the grey guys )

In their information screen, do they have a youth academy?

Because when i'm given the option of several feeders, i always chack that and pick the team with best Youth Facilities/Academy.

You've got more chance of youth coming through then. That's how i do it anyway, don't know about anyone else

Because when i'm given the option of several feeders, i always chack that and pick the team with best Youth Facilities/Academy.

You've got more chance of youth coming through then. That's how i do it anyway, don't know about anyone else </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Managing Chelski, so Westerlo was standard at the start..yep they have a academy, i'm sure of it..but clearly not the best...

Wow, i also look for the one with the best academy, had the luck of getting Banik Ostrava in Czech republic, churned out some beauties.. icon_smile.gif

You've got more chance of youth coming through then. That's how i do it anyway, don't know about anyone else </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't matter if they have the best youth academy in the world .... if you don't select their league as viewable or playable, you'll get nothing from them, other than perhaps some players to start the game off with. This is why when you are setting up a game you should always selec the leagues that are around you geographically so that you can watch your players develop because you will tend to be offered teams in your region as affiliates.

So, even if you have no intention of playing or viewing these other leagues, you should select them.

I tried to buid a team of only british players once.

I also tried to sign a scottish 3rd division player and field him every game for rangers whether he did well or not, without ever being harsh to him to see if he would become consistent after a while. but this never really worked and i got kind a bored after about 14 games of him getting 5's and 6's. i sold him. icon_cool.gif

I'm currently trying to turn my Man Utd team into the England 11. I am up to 6 players atm in my fourth season but Owen is playing like poo atm so I may have to buy Defoe who is playing out of his boots... who was bought by Newcastle after I bought Owen. D'oh!

I think I have signed the next Rio Ferdinand so I'll be all set there. ONly trouble is that I signed Baines and he hasnt yet been called up despite playing well icon_frown.gif

I'm trying to get Walsall who are an affiliate back into the Championship and maybe Premiership but none of my players want to go there on loan. They're a mid-table club in League 1 atm.

I'm going to cancel the link and find another feeder club so I can get them up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Take on a lower league affiliate and help them (by loaning them good players) to win their own top league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that in 07 I was Gretna and I loaned most of my players to Oxford, whom I eventually took over after they got promoted.

I had gone 23 games unbeaten and then came up against Valenciennes in the Champions League group stages ... AND LOST to them.

What I forgot until it was too late was that they are my affiliate project for the season and they have lots of my great players in their team.

Also, just to let you know that I have now won the world cup with:

Scotland

Australia

Argentina

I've now been offered the Japan job so it's looking good for the 'Continental' clean sweep. Anyone else managed to do it with teams from each continent?

p.s. I'm now trying to find a club team that will take 14-15 Japanese players. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great. Just won it with Japan now. All I need is an African team and I've done it. This has been really tough though - especially winning with Scotland btw.

Archived