Tick, Tock, Tick, Tick - The End of an Era

sherm

Scotland on Sunday, April 29th, 2001

Time Closes on 'Tick' - The End of an Era

Yesterday saw the end of an era at Easter Road, as playing legend George 'Tick' McCardle ended his 23 year stay at Hibs, bowing out after the clubs 2-1 home defeat of St Johnstone. The 38 year old has shown remarkable loyalty since joining the club as a 15 year old schoolboy in 1978, when he took a monumental step in his career, moving from his native Yorkshire and down to Edinburgh.

It was a step he would consider to be the greatest of his career, as he went on to make over 600 appearances for the club (634 in total), scoring 398 goals. His nickname of 'Tick' came about after he made a point of putting his wrist to his ear when he scored, and it was a name that Hibs fans chanted when the great man scored. It would have been fitting if he had reached 400 goals, but plans to erect a bronze statue outside Easter Road are already underway

His debut came at 17, in a League game against Rangers, with the club bottom of the League. The acne-faced, mullet haired youngster was thrown in from the start and shocked the Ibrox faithful, scoring twice and making a third in a stunning 3-2 upset, which cemented him in the fans hearts. Only twice in the next 12 seasons did he fail to reach 20 goals, in 1985 when he hit 19, and 1988, when he hit 18 before christmas and was then injured for the remainder of the season. Aged 29, he was at his peak, when a tragic accident saw his powers wane for several years. A car crash on the Edinbirgh streets, when a drunken driver smashed into his car and crushed it against a wall, saw McCardle's wife and young son Bobby killed, while the striker was out injured for nigh on three years with shocking injuries. However, his loyalty was rewarded by the club, who stuck by him, and in January 1996, he made his comeback, teary-eyed, to an emotional standing ovation

Fittingly, he came back with a bang, and though he was never quite the same player, the 1998/99 promotion campaign back to the Scottish Premiership was the one final good season he deserved, as he fired in a season best of 31 goals in just 24 games, including four hat-tricks. When he announced his retirement, to go and do his coaching badges, at the start of the season, he knew he wasn't going to play much. Nearing 40, and still suffering with arthritis as a result of the accident, it is still a testament to 'Tick' that he has made 17 appearances (mainly off the bench) and scored 9 goals this term. His team obviously wanted to end well, and finishing as runners-up in the Scottish Cup, a game in which McCardle was allowed to lead the team up the steps, and a fifth placed finish in the League, was a lovely end, as was the twenty five minute standing ovation from the entire capacity of Easter Road in his final game, which started the moment he came on the field, and carried on well after the final whistle

Without doubt, George McCardle is the only Englishman that the Scots have ever loved. It has been a pleasure and a privilege to see him play, and I am delighted to write his final article. 'Tick', I can honestly say, you will never be forgotten.

I still have the article on my wall, framed in a golden picture frame, above my bed. Even after six years, it is still there. I read it every night before I go to bed, almost a good luck charm for me. It sits alongside a picture of my late wife and son, which I kiss every night too. I couldn't live without that. I miss them so much. I am a proud man, and proud to have played for Hibs for so long. They are an amazing bunch down there, and I'm pleased to see them doing well at this moment. I'm 44 now, fully qualified as a coach, and working with my hometown club Doncaster as a striker's coach. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be manager, but Sean O'Driscoll is doing a great job, and though I advise him now and then, I don't envisage it happening.

The chairman, John Ryan, is an ambitious man, and he wants the club to progress in the right manner. I agree with him, and their rise from Non-League football to League One is unbelievable. I'm glad to be a part of it, and after three years here, I feel like I'm at my second home. Hibernian and Doncaster - I'd love to manage Hibs you know, really I would. I still keep in touch with people there, and I still keep a check on their results too. I hate when they lose, and I hate when they draw. They have an excellent squad of youngsters and can become a force to be reckoned with. Still, I'm at my hometown club now, and maybe one day, I might see Donny meet the Hibees in European competition - then again, I might have to wait a while for that

---

Authors Notes ; Game played on 8.0.2. Manager has favourite club set as Hibs, and Professional footballer status. Leagues loaded are English up to League 2, Scottish Premier and Division 1, Spanish Primera and Italian Serie A. No set plan for the story, apart from really delving into the non-football issues (dialogue, characters etc)

Cheers Kewell :)

---

I had walked into work on our return from pre-season in a buoyant mood. When I left the ground after the team had clinched survival last term, there had been beer cans and bottles strewn around, streamers and confetti, congratulation banners - now, it looked all so different, almost surreal. The real business now was staying in League One, and pushing on to become a force in the future. The minute I walked in however, I sensed something was wrong - there was no normal cheery greeting, no offer of a cup of tea. Something was amiss. Then I heard a shout from behind me

"Morning Tick"

"Morning John. How's things?"

I never realised how much that question was asking? An ashen faced John Ryan was standing in front of me, comfirming what I had thought a minute before

"Not great. I had a meeting with Sean yesterday. He resigned"

"What? Why?"

"He felt he had done all he can, and wanted to spend time with his family"

"That's ridiculous. Let me go and ring him and sort it..."

As I turned, John grabbed my arm

"No use I'm afraid. He's made his decision"

"Bloody hell. So have you sent the word out that we need a manager?"

"Actually no. Sean suggested we give the job to you - if you want it that is?"

I don't know what I must have looked like, standing there opening and closing my mouth with no words, but I was genuinely speechless. I had no idea what to say. Then it came to me...

"Sure. I'll do it on a temporary basis first, almost a test if you like, and if I'm not up to it you can get somebody else in?"

"No problem Tick. I'll get the contract drawn up. You've really saved my bacon"

I was gobsmacked. I had suddenly gone from being a first team striker coach to the team's new manager - a role I had no experience of. Well, that's not true necessarily, I had managed Hibs' youth side in my last five seasons there, as the club couldn't afford a youth coach, but this was something new - and I have to say, the thought of it made chills go down my spine - half of me was delighted, and half of me was asking one simple question - "What the hell have you just done?"

---

John was, as always, a man of his word, and by midday that afternoon, his secretary Caroline had drawn up a twelve month deal, watched over as I signed in the appropriate places and sent out a press release. That girl really worked hard. The players were always due in a day after the staff, so I felt it would be prudent to sit down with assistant manager Richard O'Kelly (who I got on well with) and discuss the options we had open to us, and possible avenues of signings - however, even with a transfer budget of £250,000, which was generous for this division, the wage budget was less than £50,000, and with that we may struggle to pack the squad full of players. As I pondered my thoughts, Richard walked in, congratulated me on my new job, and sat down opposite me to start our discussion

"Right Rich. I thought we would get started straightaway, and you are better acquainted with the squad than I am - I only know the front-men, so I wanted your opinion on what we have and where we can improve"

"No problem. I'll start with the 'keepers. First choice is obviously Neil Sullivan. With Premiership experience and several international caps, he is a good person to have behind the defenders and even a possible captain. However, at 37, I'd say he has a possible two more seasons, maybe three at a push. We do need a back-up option though, without doubt, as I'm not sure Ben Smith is up to the job. He's only 20, and couldn't have a better teacher than Neil, but his ability is basic at best"

I made notes as Richard spoke, his knowledge of the game and cool head clearly showing through, and I felt I had a terrific right-hand man by my side

"OK. What about the defence? It looks a little short, in terms of numbers, but they have decent ability"

"Couldn't have summed it up better myself. Sean always disagreed with me, but I think that Gordon Greer is good enough to start. He's a mature young man, excellent in the air and plays sensible on the floor, nothing fancy. He preferred Adam Lockwood though, as he was more of a basic 'hoof it out of trouble' type. But both are just as capable as one another, so we have a nice problem there. We also secured a deal with Man City at the end of last season to take Matthew Mills on loan for the season. He's only 20, but they do rate him up there, and though his body is that of a 20 year old, his mature head is of somebody twice his age. Again though, we need more cover, as Welshman Steve Roberts is injury prone, and though I'm a fan of his, he may be worth moving on due to his injury problems. While the central pairing is more of a choice, the full backs pick themselves - we only have one on each side. Another Welshman takes the left position, and that's Gareth Roberts. He lacks pace, which could mean trouble, but his technical ability are at a level of a Championship player. The right hand side is our strongest, with James O'Connor taking that role. He's a guaranteed starter, and at 22, I think we have a player who can make several appearances in the next few years. Excellent player"

"OK. Now with midfield, I prefer a diamond shape, with a holding player and a man behind the front pair. Can we do that?"

"Should be no problem. The midfield is pretty strong anyway, and for the holding role I'd have to suggest Brian Stock. He's a pretty gruff, tough tackling Welshman, but as far as playing the role, he's perfect. He can pass, tackle, and he takes a mean penalty too. If he gets injured though, we shouldn't worry, as his replacement Mark Wilson is more than adequate for this level of football. Not quite as good as Brian, but still very good. For all our positions in the midfield we have two players capable of playing there, and on the right, it has to be James Coppinger. A skilful winger, who can cross a ball and take a free-kick, a vital cog for the team in my opinion. Especially as his back-up, Jason Price, is injured at the minute. Pricey's getting on a bit now, he's 30, but he's done us some good service over the years and I think he has a couple of years left yet. The left hand side is pretty strong aswell, and it's a close call between the two players. Stuart Elliott is on loan for the season from Hull, another deal Sean tied up last season, and he is a player who has talent that could make it at the top. He hasn't because of his temperament, but he will be a big asset for us. Then there's Martin Woods. Martin is one of those players that relies on confidence, but if he has it then things are great. A sweet left-foot, swings a beautiful ball in, and his passing is sublime. He needs nurturing though, and he is still only 21. Finally, we have the spot behind the strikers. For me, the man here is Richie Wellens. I know Rich from my Blackpool days, and he's a bloody good player, who can create 15 goals a season and chip in with 5 or 6 himself. However, another nice dilemma for you here, as we also have new signing James Hayter"

"Hang on, I thought he was a striker"

"I was just going to say that. He can play there, and is probably better up top, so we might need another attacking midfield player, just to even it up"

"OK. So I'll do the strikers then, seen as I know them a bit. My instinct tells me to go with James and Paul Heffernan as the front two, as they might strike up a good combo. Paul's big and powerful, while James is quick and sharp, which is a potent little pair. However, I also fancy Gareth Taylor as a useful striker. He's like I was, big, strong, and brilliant in the air, and he's perfect foil for James, almost Heskey and Owen like. That leaves us with just one more, Lewis Guy. He's a frustrating player, as he has so much talent. He was at Newcastle for a while, but couldn't get in the side due to his lack of application. I think I can get the best out of him, and I'm confident we have a League One standard strikeforce"

"I agree with you. If we over-achieve, Then top six is possible, otherwise I would say top 10 is plausible without doubt. I've got a list of the pre-season games here too"

Richard brought out another file, this time a much smaller one, and I opened it up to find a very interesting mix of games - I wasn't overly happy with them either but still, fitness can be gained against anybody. Six games, all away from home, against opposition no better than ourselves. We wouldn't get much windfall, but I felt the lads could all get some good practice in.

---

It was just past three when Richard left the meeting, which I felt had been highly productive, and given me a great insight into the squad. The players were probably aware of the news, but I felt it would be prudent to explain to them tomorrow, when they came in for training. I sat back at my desk and picked up the photo of Laura and Bobby - I had paid for the original to be copied, meaning I could have one on my desk at work too - and smiled

"You'd have been so proud of me baby. You said you hated football, it was like an affair I had - of course, you were joking, another thing I loved about you. Your sense of humour. I do love football, but I could never love anything or anyone more than I did you. I miss you so much"

I had learnt to quell the tears, some sort of macho image we have to have, but I am not ashamed to say that I pine for her every day. I have a box full of her stuff at home, I couldn't part with that, not for anything. As for the drunken driver - I don't hate him for what he did, I just feel sadness. Sadness that he probably never experienced the love I shared with Laura, which is why he turned to drink. I went to see him in jail once, and he was full of remorse. Everything about him, his eyes, his body language, said sorry. He got 15 years for manslaughter - I think he's out now, but I didn't really care what his sentence was - it won't ever bring her back to me.

Cheers stoe, glad you're enjoying it

---

Obviously, transfers wouldn't be easy to come by, as we had very little money, so I was ready to scour the loan list, and the out of contract players, to see if any of them were at a level we needed - however, I was also keen to build a young side too, I felt that a mix of youth and experience would be essential for us to progress. I had all my scouts (all two of them) and coaches keeping a look out for players, and I was hoping for some success in the transfer market. However, I had the players we had contracted to look after first, and when they arrived for their first training session, many of them were talking about Sean O'Driscoll's departure. Before the session started, I sat them down and explained what I knew

"Right then lads, if I can have your attention"

20 odd faces turned to me, eager to learn what I had to say. It made me nervous, and my mouth had suddenly become dryer than Gandhi's sandal

"You all know that Sean left a few days ago, and many of you know I've taken charge. If you have worries that you won't be in my plans, I assure you, everybody will get an opportunity under me. Yes Stuart?"

Our loan signing from Hull had shot his hand up, and he seemed eager to ask a question

"I was just wondering if I'll be staying on loan. I know that myself and Matty were brought in by Sean and we both wanted to be sure we were in your plans?"

"Absolutely. Nobody will be sold lightly, nobody will be sent back to their clubs. Now, in terms of what I play, it's a 4-4-2, but the midfield is a diamond shape, with a holding player and a man behind the strikers. I like to see goals going in, but we attack from the back - everybody defends too. Got that?"

A sea of nods, and everybody got to their feet, seemingly eager to train - not something I ever enjoyed, but hey, maybe the modern game is different. It was a decent session too, everybody keen to impress, and after an hour of fitness work, then 45 minutes of ball work, I set the goals up for a game of five-a-side, and we had three different games going. After the players had finished, I sat in my office on my laptop, until I was interrupted by a knock on my door. Standing there was Richard O'Kelly, with a lopsided grin on his face

"Alright Rich, what can I do for you?"

"Got a couple of frees for you, I think we should go ahead and bring them in"

"Fire away, what have we got?"

"Well first one's a 'keeper, which we need desperately, but we'd have to move quick, lots of clubs are interested"

"Who is it?"

"Latvian international, Aleksandrs Kolinko. He's 32, but still good enough for their international side, and I think he would be brilliant in this league. Second one is a centre back, Danny Cullip. He's got bags of experience at this level so I think we should go and get both of them"

"I agree. Offer both of them contracts, we need to get them in as soon as we can"

As Richard bounded off, I started to go to work on tactical aspects that I felt needed improving. I was always thorough as a coach, and knew I needed to be even more so as a manager, but I hadn't realised just how much work there was to be done. Still, I was enjoying the challenge thus far, despite it being just 3 days old. I had my head buried in files, and my thoughts wandering away, so much so that I hadn't noticed the time - it was nearly seven when I left, and after a mentally draining and exhausting day, I fell asleep on the sofa

I still think about it now, wonder if I could have done anything to stop it. It damn near killed me, cost me three years - I lost the two people who meant more to me than anything too. I sometimes wonder if I was driving badly, or going too fast. I've always been told it was the other drivers fault, but the doubts are always there you know? I remember up to the moment it hit us - pulling out of a junction, it hit Laura's side. My head smacked the window, and then I blacked out - I woke up in hospital, I think it was about four hours later, to see her mum by my bed, crying - I just knew from that moment that she'd gone. We stayed there for what seemed an eternity, hugging. When Bobby died hours later, I was in shock - it seemed that my life had been torn apart within a day. I toyed with the idea of quitting there and then, but I had a conversation with a complete stranger that changed my mind completely - he was supportive, telling me to carry on for her memory, for my sons memory - and looking back I'm glad I did

I was sat reminiscing, looking at the photo, when my fax machine buzzed - a fax coming through from my scout, sounding out a possible loan signing. Two of them actually. I found his number in my desk drawer, and rang him on the spot

"Simon, what have you got for me?"

"Alright boss. Yeah two players I've seen, their clubs want them to get some experience and are willing to let them go on loan"

"Sounds good. Who are they?"

"Left back from Reading, Scott Golbourne. Definately one to look at, got everything a full back needs. Second guys a defender too, but believe me, if we pull it off, we've got a star. Havard Nordtveit, Arsenal. He's a monster on the field, can play at the back or in the holding role, and you should see the size of him"

"Really? Get the bids in Simon, season long loans. Nice work too"

It sounded like Simon had really done well with his two options, and I was looking forward to possibly working with the two players. Talking of new players, I was glad to welcome in Danny Cullip, who had taken no time at all to sign on the dotted line, and his experience and nouse would prove useful in our backline. Kolinko had also quickly agreed terms, but the formalities of awaiting a work-permit were in order - I was in no doubt he would get one, due to his international caps, but you never know. Danny soon made his mark in his first training session, cruching Gareth Taylor within ten minutes, but both men got up and got on with it, and I knew it was a good decision to bring him in

The following day would see our first friendly game, away at Stevenage, so we had decided to travel that night, making the side get used to a night away before an away trip. If we had ambitions to be a top side, we had to act like one. That was my philosophy. That night, I allowed myself a quick drink, a decent meal, and was tucked in bed by ten. With nothing on t.v, I allowed myself a treat - I watch the two movies that inspire me more than anything, Sister Act 1 and 2. I know, I know, it's sad, but they do. Plus, the singing is great. Still, I have got a job to do tomorrow haven't I?

Cheers lads. Gav, his stats are wicked for a 17 year old kid. And 10-3, delving into the character isn't something I'm used to doing, so I'm hoping I can make it work :D

---

I didn't travel with the players to their first pre-season game, which saw us play Stevenage down there. I stayed back at the ground, in an empty ground with only me in it, and listened to the live feed on local radio. I wanted to tie up the loose ends of the two loan signings, Nordtveit and Golbourne, and I also had a meeting with former Brighton man Bas Savage too, to discuss terms on his free transfer move to the club. Richard O'Kelly was under instructions from myself to field a decent side, and with James Hayter up-front alongside Lewis Guy, we had the ability to score loads of goals

The players weren't all that fit at this particular moment, so I expected wholesale changes during the match. We seemed to have better fitness levels than the non-league side though, and within the opening ten minutes, we had tested their 'keeper twice, thanks to an effort from little Lewis Guy, and a powerful header from Gordon Greer, but both attempts were foiled. However, it was Guy's strike partner James Hayter who opened the scoring, as he combined well with Stuart Elliott, who played a lovely ball through for James to slide underneath the 'keeper. Once we were ahead, I was fully confident we would never relinquish the lead, although to only be going in ahead 1-0, after several chances were wasted was a big blow, and something that needed addressing

The second half saw a very similar story to the first 45 minutes. As a player, we were always taught to win games - personally, I took it a half at a time. If you win both halves, you win the game. You win one half, then you generally win the game. It's simple really, and a philosophy that I always relay back to players. Richard made six changes at half time, including replacing Hayter with Paul Heffernan, and it was the substitute who doubled the advantage, capitalising on a mistake in the Stevenage defence and firing home a drive from the edge of the area. That sealed the game, I knew it would, but it would have been nice to go on and score a few more. I was also pleased that new signing Danny Cullip played well in the half hour he came on, settling alongside Greer at the back and proving he still had ability. Probably the worst chance that was missed was by midfielder Brian Stock, who fired over from six yards with two minutes left, but the 2-0 win was comfortable and gave us a little momentum

---

With the team travelling back almost straightaway from the game, I was tucked away in my office with Bas Savage, who seemed keen to move to the club, and I was also pleased he travelled without an agent -I hate agents, always have.

"You have what I need Bas. Pace, you can cross, pass. I need a player of your ability in the team"

"I want to play for Doncaster. I'm only 25, and I feel I can give some good years. Ideally though, I want three years on my contract"

"Hmm. I was looking for two to be honest. Wages aren't that great and budget's not heaving with money"

"Alright that's fine - as long as the option for a third year is a clause in the contract?"

"I can live with that Bas, absolutely. Help yourself to a coffee, and I'll go and get the details drawn up now"

I was pleased with the negotiations, they went fairly smoothly, and half an hour later, Savage had signed a two year, £600 a week deal, and I was pleased that he had joined. His pace and trickery could prove useful, and he would be a very able back-up to starting winger James Coppinger. After he left, I leant back in my chair and reflected on my days work (another habit I've always had). Then I closed my eyes and drifted into another world...

Welcome to Tynecastle for the final Edinburgh derby of the season, where fourth placed Hearts entertain struggling Hibs, who have improved enough to stay in the division after a terrible start. I'm here with Jocky Scott and Duncan Farrah, and we are all ready to go...

I remember that game - my first Edinburgh derby, and in the week leading up to the match, I was bombarded by Hibs (and Hearts) fans who told me how much the game meant to them. I was 18 at the time, still very much a kid, and this was my first ever encounter with a game of this magnitude. I had made my debut earlier that season against Rangers, and that season I burst onto the scene, scoring in my first 7 games, and before this game, I think I had 14 goals in 20 or so games

Hibs starting well, and looking to attack, with Johnstone down the flank. He turns back, squaring it to McCardle. The youngster has made a real impact this term, and he plays a lovely ball through...Good take by the 'keeper, did well there...

That was about the only thing I did in the first hour, I just couldn't get a decent momentum going. No-one could if I remember, the pitch was awful - muddy, bobbly, not conjunctive to playing football on. Eventually, with the game deadlocked at 0-0, I knew we needed something special to win, so I stepped up - not vain at all eh?

13 minutes left here, and a scrappy game is deadlocked. McCardle picks the ball up for Allan's pass, and he's past one. Still McCardle, and he's beaten two men, three men - what a run this is from the youngster, almost 50 yards, five men. He shoots...what a fabulous goal from McCardle, his fifteenth of the season, and it could well be the goal that wins this Edinburgh derby for Hibs

The feeling when I scored was incredible, especially such a monumental goal, and that was a satisfying three points - I never scored a goal like that again, but I think the occasion hyped me up, and the fact I was 18, young and eager led to it. I didn't make 50 yard runs often, I was very much a jack-in-the-box - but I scored goals, that's the key thing eh? I always think I must be up there as one of the best pound for pound signings - 398 goals for £20,000 - bargain I'd say

Cheers lads - SCIAG, Savage is indeed 25 - although judging from his history, he would have begun his career at 16ish?

Spav, thanks a lot :)

---

With just 48 hours until the team faced their second pre-season game, I sat down and went over my current signings so far. Danny Cullip had come in on a free, adding experience to the backline and though he wouldn't play 46 games, he would see some amount of playing time. Another player who came without a fee was Bas Savage, who was more than adequate for this level of football, and I was pleased to have him in our squad. Arsenal's Norwegian defender Havard Nordtveit had joined on a season long loan, along with Reading full back Scott Golbourne, and both players looked like future stars. Havard was immense, belying his 17 years with a mature head, aswell as the fact he looked about 24, his sheer size intimidating to anybody. Scott was more of a skilful full back, keen on bombing forward, and I really was delighted to have them both in our ranks.

That day's training had been a good session, the ball work going well, but I had noticed that some of the players seemed to be frustrated with something. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I wanted to get to the bottom of it, so as the players walked off, I grabbed club captain Neil Sullivan and asked if he knew the problem

"Sully, I noticed a little discontent out there today. What's the problem?"

"Well you haven't heard it from me but the team are frustrated with Lewis"

"Lewis? Lewis Guy? Why would they be frustrated with him?"

"They don't think his temperament is good. We know he has the ability but he doesn't seem willing to put the effort in"

"Alright cheers Neil, I'll have a word and see what I can do"

Richard O'Kelly had warned me about this with Lewis, but I prided myself on my people and personnel skills, and felt I could fix the issues. I didn't want to push it though, I just left it be for the time-being

---

The second pre-season game we had to negotiate was against League 2 side Notts County, which I felt would be a good test for the players. I was also pleased, and a little surprised, to learn that we had sold a decent amount of tickets, 6,765, which was more than a third of what the capacity was.

Again, I took a back seat for the game and sat in the stands, allowing Richard to take control of proceedings, but I had picked the starting eleven and spoken to the players before the match. We started well, using our pace down the wings and spreading the ball wide to Elliott and Savage, and it took just six minutes for the breakthrough to come, Richie Wellens feeding the ball through to James Hayter, who squared the ball across for Stu Elliott to pass into the open goal. It was nice to see such a move, and when any side played decent flowing football it worked well, and we continued in that vain for the next 20 minutes or more, testing the visitors' 'keeper three times, through Savage, Stock and O'Connor, who's 30 yard rasper smacked off the bar, but on second glance had forced the goalkeeper to tip it onto the bar. Our second goal did finally come, and it did so with ten minutes of the half left, this time it was Brian Stock's pass finding Gareth Taylor, who was tackled, and the ball fell for Richie Wellens, who curled home from the edge of the 'D' and give us a 2-0 cushion.

I would have taken a 2-0 lead at half time, and when we came out for the second half I'd have been happy, but I came out for the second 45 minutes ecstatic, thanks to James Hayter's 39th minute header, which gave the side a 3-0 difference to work on. Again, Richard rang the changes, this time making five at the interval, and whether this disrupted the flow or anything, I'll never know, but I am inclined to think so, as we were very poor in the second half, conceding a 51st minute goal to Jarvis, after a shocking bit of defending from Adam Lockwood, who lost his man. Eight minutes later, we made it 4-1, Elliott's second of the game, and what a good goal it was too, as he curled home a free-kick from 20 yards, and that was the final score. Sullivan was tested three times before the final whistle, but our former Scottish international was more than equal to the efforts, and he managed to keep a blank for the remainder of the game.

"It's critical nurse, very critical. Get me a hundred mils of adrenaline, we need to keep it going"

My eyes were fluttering open and closed, but I was strong enough to know what was going on.

"Wha...what's wrong?"

"Mr McCardle, you need to get your rest"

"Laura...where is she?"

"Mr McCardle, please..."

"I need to know...Laura, how..."

Then I realised, I just knew - Laura was gone, forever. I would miss her over the coming years, although at that time I didn't know how much. She meant everything to me, and without a doubt, was the first woman I had ever loved. The only woman I have ever loved.

---

I couldn't help but think of her, I really couldn't. Or Bobby. Nothing will ever bring them back, I know that, but I just have the memories of her to live with for the rest of my life. I remember when I first met her, back in 1980. I was 17, and had just broken into the Hibs team full time, when we went out for a function (I think it was a player's birthday) At the time, I didn't drink, but still went along, and after three hours, we ended up in a club, By The Riverside. I was stood by the bar when a gorgeous girl caught my attention. She had beautiful, flowing auburn hair, and her figure was just incredible. I kept watching her all night, until I was eventually persuaded to go and 'have a dabble' by my older team-mates

Having never chatted up a girl before, I had no clue what I was doing, and within five minutes, she confirmed my worst fears - she was taken, and had no interest in a 17 year old footballer. I was told to persist, and over the weeks, I kept seeing her - in the chip shop, in the supermarket, the pub - I smiled to her, said hello, and one night, after I fancied a quiet pint alone, we got talking. Three hours later, she had relented, given me her number, and was given a promise that I would call her to arrange a date. That was that, our first date went smoothly, and we married after four years together in November 1985. She was two years older than me, and was so sensible I still don't know what possessed her to agree to a date. Bobby was born in 1989, and we were both overjoyed. I look at the picture of them both, which was taken a month before the accident, and even now, I well up. It's just so so hard. I miss her so much...

I was in no fit state to control the side for their third pre-season game, my emotions running wild, so while Richard O'Kelly took charge of the match (including a newly permitted Aleksandrs Kolinko), I visited the cemetery. I spent hours there, just talking, being with her. Maybe I do need to get over things, I don't know...I think im entitled to a moment or two with my late wife and son. I was completely unaware of the side's result until I returned to the ground, and I discovered that the team had destroyed Barnet 4-0, with all the goals coming in the second half, from Paul Heffernan, Martin Woods, James Hayter and Lewis Guy, but if I'm honest, it didn't mean that much to me

Cheers Eles :)

---

"You wanted to see me boss?"

Lewis Guy had popped his head into the door with an inquisitive but puzzled look on his face

"Lewis, come in. How are you?"

"Not bad really. What's up?"

"I've been noticing a bit of unrest around the team in training, and when I asked, it was regarding you - so what's up?"

"Nothing. I mean, I...."

"I'm not an ogre Lewis. Talk to me"

"OK. Well it's my girlfriend. Or ex, as may be the case"

"Right - and...?

"She left me, for someone else. I've not been the same, and sometimes I just don't feel like it. Do you understand?"

I did. Perfectly. Having lost somebody myself, I knew that Lewis was suffering, but I also knew that he needed help - and I could give it to him

"Lewis, I do. I lost someone once, and I know what you're going through. You can't let it affect your work though"

"It's just hard sometimes though boss"

"Tell you what. Come round to mine tonight, we'll have a beer, watch a film, and I'll sort out your problems OK?"

As it happened, Lewis did come round, and we sorted out his problems. He left with a smile on his face, and I could see that smile in training the next day - I felt a deep sense of satisfaction, and I was immensely looking forward to getting down to business

---

After 6 months, I nearly lost Laura before we had even begun to get serious. This was down to my stupidity, and male pride. She lived with her friend at the time, and I went round one night to surprise her - only to find a half naked male answer the door. I didn't think, I just saw red - My fists found his face time after time, and it wasn't until Laura questioned me that I realised I'd made a mess - she didn't speak to me for two weeks, and it was only a fair bit of grovelling that did my case good. The rest, as they say, is history.

I had also brought in another free transfer, yet another experienced defender at our level of football, as John Curtis joined on a 12 month deal. I had explained to John that he wouldn't be a regular, but he would play an important part with helping the youngsters, and I was sure he, like Danny Cullip, would help our younger players through their time at the club

John sat with me in the stands as we watched the penultimate pre-season game, which saw York make the visit to the Keepmoat Stadium. For the third successive game, we managed four goals, although we were made to work for them this time. Alex Kolinko was tested twice in the opening ten minutes, but we managed to get back into it, testing the 'keeper at the other end with just as much. The first 45 minutes was an entertaining half, with 8 shots on target from both teams, five for us, three for the visitors, but at half time, 0-0 remained the score. We had to wait until the 64th minute to open the scoring, having wasted two more chances before then, and it was Paul Heffernan who headed home the opening goal. From then on in, it became a riot, with Coppinger providing Hayter's fourth in as many games, and the striker soon made in five with a deft little chip over the on-rushing 'keeper. That was met with a nof of approval from John Curtis, and that turned into a smile when Heffernan slid home the sides fourth goal from Woods' cross, and we were picking up some serious momentum, running out 4-0 winners for the third time running - I was actually beginning to enjoy myself now

• 2 weeks later...

Archived