[FM24] Bringing Up Birmingham

keeper#1

81841eebdbdf35589484226c23f39844.png

Taking some inspiration from @danielgear and his QPR save, I've taken on a similar project but with a different club....Birmingham.  This save starts on 29 March 2024 so there are just eight matches remaining in the season with Birmingham in 20th place just two points above the drop zone  Why Birmingham?

• The club is struggling to perform in all phases on the pitch - they are averaging barely a goal per match (39 goals in 38 matches), they have allowed the second most goals thus far (55 goals in those 38 matches), and team discipline is awful (60 yellow card and three red cards to date)
  • The club has no sense of budgeting and have pissed away all of the money that they made on the sale of Jude Bellingham to Dortmund.  The club currently sits 9M in the red.  The wage structure is awful.  The club has a turnover of just over 12M but are spending over 19M on wages.  The wage budget has been completely disregarded as Birmingham is spending 4M over the wage budget.  Even the wage budget is an overspend of the club's turnover.
  • The only positive at the club is the club's academy which continues to churn out potential star after potential star.  The two stars that the club is going to need to build around and likely sell for a profit are 17-year old Romelle Donovan and I have my own 15-year old to add into the mix @danielgear and @_Ben_ in right back Mo Farah.

Early Squad Impressions

At first glance, the squad is old and on overpriced contracts.  Taking a deeper look into the contract situation, I've already found some players whose contract expires in June and are no longer producing in line with the wages the club is paying them.

• CF Lukas Jutkiewicz - a 35 year old center forward who has played in just one match for us this season, as a sub, but is pulling 780K in an annual salary
  • GK Neil Etheridge - a 34 year old goalkeeper who has played in seven matches while pulling in 1.092M in salary this season
  • GK John Ruddy - a 37 year old goalkeeper who has been our starter this season while earning 480K in salary
  • CB Marc Roberts - a 33 year old center back who has played in six matches but earns 520k in salary

I'll need to bring in a new goalkeeper so I won't be lopping all of this money off the wage bill but these four players earn 2.872M in salary and only one of them is a starter.

A player whose contract is up in June and I would like to keep but not at his current salary is midfielder Ivan Sunjic.  Sunjic a solid rotational piece for us and is only 27 years old but he makes a whopping 884k this season.  I'd like to negotiate a lower salary for someone is more a rotational option than a player to build the team around.

I have four players who have contracts that expire at the end of the 2024-25 season who aren't playing a lot so I could use the combination of salary relief and transfer fees to help the bank balance.

• DM Callum Connelly - a 26 year old defensive midfielder has played in nine matches this season while making 374k.
  • CF Simone Zaza - a 32 year old center forward who has played in 18 matches all off the bench and makes 311k.
  • CM Greg Docherty - 27 year old midfielder has only seen game action in three matches this season while making 308k.
  • CM Juninho Bacuna - probably the most valuable asset of the four - played in 27 matches scoring four goals and making 520k.

Remaining Schedule

Next post will hopefully be tonight or tomorrow AM.  If not, it won't be coming until after I return from a workcation in Caribbean.

My team! Jukey is a club legend, I don't care about his salary! Give him the final match against Norwich and I guarantee he'll bag a back post header. Chronically misunderstood but can be a real weapon even next season too!

I got bored of my Coventry save so decided to start a new save as Birmingham. 

I managed to Marc Roberts and John Ruddy. 

I also managed to release Craig Gardner & Lukas Jutkiewicz on freebies.

I got a loan offer for Hogan which he will hopefully agree to.

The only player I can't shift is Etheridge. I can't even release him from his contract etc.

Good luck with Birmingham.

Hope you get relegated and those youngsters rot in the Vanarama league! That aside, nice to see the project you’ve taken on; although I can only wish that it was at a better club. 

Looking forward to this. Despite a few flirtations with relegation to the third tier over the years, the thought of Birmingham actually making the drop as an outsider is quite a daunting one. A tricky challenge to overhaul this team ahead.

Thanks for all of the kind words about starting this save.  I was able to finish the season before I left on holiday.  I couldn't get the post done in time before I left though.  Didn't bring the laptop with me since this trip was with the missus and she would not look kindly to me playing FM while cruising through the south eastern Caribbean (St. Kitts, Antigua, Dominica, St. Lucia and Barbados).  She might have left at the airport in Puerto Rico. 

Next step is to get the end of season post up and starting working on improving the club.

On 29/04/2024 at 02:47, karanhsingh said:

And here I thought it was because of Tom Brady! Good luck with this mate

I did go to Michigan at the same time as Tom Brady - I was senior and he was freshman so it's unlikely that our paths would have crossed.

Quick End of Season Update

3f67099aacca97df4011fc9d73e2f844.png

The good news is Birmingham did the job losing just two matches in the final eight as they surged away from the relegation fight.  Park Seung-Ho led the charge with four goals.  The bad news is our defense struggled to keep a clean sheet.  Just one clean sheet in the eight matches and Huddersfield completely blew our doors off in a 4-1 match. 

279d0cf78eff6c91c4e150e8f79cdf50.png

Huddersfield did have a lot to play for when we faced in the second to last match of the season.  It could be argued that their 4-1 victory was what enabled them to stay up in the Championship.  Rotherham, Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall fall into League One.  Leicester and Norwich will automatically go into the Championship while Ipswich, Southampton, Middlesbrough, and Leeds will battle for the final promotion place.  We know Derby and Lincoln will join Birmingham in the Championship from League One next season.  Sheffield United has already been relegated from the Premier League and four teams (West Ham - 16th, Everton - 17th, Bournemouth - 18th, and Luton - 19th) are battling for the last two slots.

aca5b2de22056bbe5e13c3a3a6790b4f.png

I don't expect many of the names on this year's roster on the squad next season so I'm not going to go very in-depth here.

Season 2 Update 1 - Summer Transfer Window

e4966c43b812b42d14f0e9dc6b3e34ec.png

The summer transfer window was a busy window.  We brought in seven new players all on frees.  We completely turned over our goalkeeper room with three brand new goalkeepers.  Koen Casteels will be the number one after spending the last decade playing for Wolfsburg.  The battle will be for his deputy.  Arthur Okonkno, from the Arsenal youth academy, and Bailey Peacock-Farrell, from Burnley, are the combatants.  They could very well split time as the back-up.   With the goalkeeper position situated, we added Mattia Bani.  Bani is a solid ball-playing center back in his prime.  He gives us a great option to bring the ball out of the defense in both a two or three center back defense.  Defensive midfielder Goran Cautic was a free transfer that was arranged before I got to the club.  Cautic is on the older side but still will have some usefulness for us in a rotational role.  We lost left back Emmanuel Longeio to Aberdeen.  In his place, we brought in Souleyman Doumbia who was looking for work and we could offer him the playing time that he was looking for.  Kevin Kelsy, a target man center forward from Shakhtar, comes in on a season-long loan to help shore up our attack.

375a297fd5025921e9736b2070eaf85b.png

Three kids come up from the Birmingham academy.  Mohamed Farah joins the senior team at just 16 years old and will provide the club with a high-ceiling depth option at the position.  Also along the right side of the formation, 17 year old Romelle Donovan will split time with recent academy graduate George Hall at the right wing/forward position.  Godfred Boskye is a good young depth option at the center back and defensive midfielder position.

These 11 players represent almost half of the 2024-25 senior team roster so we have had quite the turnover with the squad over the summer.

2ac24bd9561a8e2011c26d37520f92ab.png

32ab64ae4fdc2cfaafdfccf4e70cdcec.png

Bargain hunting is going to be the name of the game for a couple of seasons.  The sellable assets need time to develop and the club is bleeding almost a million pounds per month somehow even with a reduced wage bill.  Free transfers, loans, and youth academy promotions is the way right now.

2024-25 Season Review

Lack of time to post regular updates led to lump everything about the 2024-25 season in one giant post.  On the field, it was a very good season for Birmingham as we start to put the pieces into place for a solid promotion run.

4c576e180314813f5bb36c702651821a.png

I will not be disappointed with a 6th place finish.  We got into the playoffs which I was not expecting this season - I was expecting a season where we finished somewhere in the middle of the table (12th to 16th place range).  We never had to worry about the threat of relegation.  We flirted with the automatic promotion slots.  We slipped up a little bit toward the end of season and a bit of an injury crisis at the goalkeeper and center forward positions to prevent us from pushing into the top four places.  This was a really solid season for us and one which we can, hopefully, use to as fuel to make a stronger run at the automatic promotion places in the next couple of seasons.

0803276945379e45908ade9fdf91d278.png

We had a solid showing against Hull in the playoff semifinals.  We needed to field out backup goalkeeper and Northern Ireland international Bradley Peacock-Farrell.  Farrell has been a solid deputy for us this season.  He did a great job when Koen Casteels went down with injuries during the season and he was the backbone of our cup replays against both Leicester and Everton.  We drew with Hull 1-1 on our home ground.  Hull came out strong in the first half of the second leg and held a 2-0 lead going into halftime.  We threw everything that we could at the Hull defense but could only muster one goal and fell to Hull 2-1 and 3-2 on aggregate. 

02667323a3adc2a4b0e7d50c42e60867.png

5fa7158eba360461dc6ef2ce9691ffdc.png

We did a great job of spreading the goalscoring around the attacking players but our primary weakness was finding a second center forward behind Jamie Donley.  Donley led the squad with 16 goals in all competitions which is a good number but we had no depth behind him.  Tyler Roberts scored five goals and youngster Bria Bateman scored only one.  Their output was matched by winter signing Alan Sonora who had six goals after signing with the club in January.  When Donley was tired or injured, our offense was in trouble.  We had no focal point for our attack.  We had to hope for something special by one of our wing forwards or central midfielders.  Strengthening the attack is something that I need to focus on in the off-season.

I spent most of the season working on a solution to our "rest defense."   In the first part of the season, we were scoring goals for fun but more often than not allowing just as many goals.  Players were pressing all over the place and, as a result, getting pulled out of position.  I switched things up from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3.  My first run at the 4-3-3 was still leaving us without a solid shape at the back as players still wanted to press or freelance on defense.  As the season wore on, I tweaked the roles just enough to give us a solid shape at the back and our defense vastly improved.  All that said, we need another true center back to solidify things in the middle.  I went with Krystian Bielik as a Libero for most of the season even though he is a natural defensive midfielder. He ranks toward the bottom of the league in tackles won as a center back but the same percentage would rank him as one of the best defensive midfielders in the league.  Mattia Bani and Dion Sanderson are both good options at the other center-back position.  I would like another solid presence back there to move Bielik into the defensive midfield position.  The right side of the back line is set with Ethan Laird and Mo Farah on the right.  The left side could use an upgrade from our current options.

Transfer Wheelings and Dealings

6a2a4adcedc1934864953be5f14293f9.png

What fueled our rise from 18th place last season to sixth place this season?  A solid batch of signings.  All of these signings did exactly what was expected of them throughout the season.  And none of them cost the club a dime in a transfer fees.  The biggest "disappointment" came during the winter when Shakthar recalled Kevin Kelsy from loan.  That made our depth at center forward even more glaring in retrospect.  I thought Roberts and Bateman could do the job but I was proven wrong.  The biggest transfer out of the club was right winger/forward George Hall who left the club for Burnley on 10.75M with the potential to rise to 12.5M transfer fee.  We've already cashed in the games played clause.  Nobody else in the transfers out was a big loss to the first team as they were all youngsters gaining first team experience or senior/reserve team players who are blocking the player pathway for a hot academy prospect.

Class of 2024

Four players made up the Birmingham Academy Class of 2024:

RB Mo Farah (age 16) - future first teamer and should get his first cap for the Somalia National Team next season if England doesn't cap tie him soon

CF Bria Bateman (age 18) - likely rotational option for us going forward

RW/RF Romelle Donovan (age 18) - another future first teamers potentially as soon as the upcoming 2025-26 season.  Already capped to the England U19 squad

CB Godfred Boakye (age 18) - a future rotational piece at either the center back or defensive midfield positions - also capped with the England U19 squad

b7e8ddd8df465b1e320bb842ad1f306b.png