Targetman Tactic

Hi, i would like to play with a Targetman in Front. 

Unfortunately, I can't find a good tactic for this. Does the Targetman role not work properly in FM24? Should you perhaps use a different setting instead of the Targetman one?

I would also like to feed the penalty area with crosses, but the players either play the ball flat or try to dribble into the penalty area. Or the ball just doesn't arrive

Any help would be appreciated

PS:Sry for my bad english i hope you can understand all :)

Having spent a lot of time on this: trying to play really directly on FM24 basically doesn't work.

The best you can hope for is the occasional cross from deep and having your goalkeeper aim for the target man. You will never persuade your team to use him as their primary way of getting the ball up the pitch. Do something else. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb ceefax the cat:

Having spent a lot of time on this: trying to play really directly on FM24 basically doesn't work.

The best you can hope for is the occasional cross from deep and having your goalkeeper aim for the target man. You will never persuade your team to use him as their primary way of getting the ball up the pitch. Do something else. 

Thx for you answer. What do you think is the best Position for a Targetman? Poacher?

WTM are fun. Good for floated crosses to the far post. They don't really do what they're supposed to but I use them quite a lot. 

To make the most of one, try something like a mezzala to get close to him, a wingback overlapping on the outside to take a defender away and someone on the opposite side with good winger skills. And get your keeper to aim for him because he'll likely dominate his fullback in the air.

Maybe build up on his side in order to give the opposite winger space to cross when the ball is switched. An overlap on the opposite side wouldn't hurt either. Whatever it takes to get that floated cross in

Edited by ceefax the cat

I've not managed to get a Targetman tactic going as such, in the sense of hitting crosses to the TM to get knockdowns etc. However, I am having a lot of success with targetman-like strikers. Duvan Zapata is currently scoring a goal a game for me at Roma. The team isn't specifically set up for a TM, though we are playing quite fast and direct. Crossing, physical attributes and set pieces are all very strong in FM24, so it's a good time to be a big lad who's strong in the air!

:onmehead:

On 18/01/2024 at 02:04, Helldragon said:

Unfortunately, I can't find a good tactic for this. Does the Targetman role not work properly in FM24? Should you perhaps use a different setting instead of the Targetman one?

I would also like to feed the penalty area with crosses, but the players either play the ball flat or try to dribble into the penalty area. Or the ball just doesn't arrive

A 4-4-2 can offer a supportive structure for a TM. A strike partner who can benefit from his hold up play + add some pace to your frontline will be key. 

I'm using a 4-4-1-1 tactic with a TF on support as a lone striker and it's working well for me, halfway through the 2nd season I'm sitting 2nd in SPL with Kilmarnock in a point-to-point battle with the Glasgow teams. The regular starter is the team's best scorer and has scored 13 goals in 22 games in all competitions (8 coming off the bench), and his two back-ups respectively 6 goals in 9(5) appearances and 3 goals in 3(7) games.

Crosses (both from the byline and deep) to the far post are the main source with which I trigger them

Edited by Fox-7-

Am 21.1.2024 um 01:07 schrieb Fox-7-:

I'm using a 4-4-1-1 tactic with a TF on support as a lone striker and it's working well for me, halfway through the 2nd season I'm sitting 2nd in SPL with Kilmarnock in a point-to-point battle with the Glasgow teams. The regular starter is the team's best scorer and has scored 13 goals in 22 games in all competitions (8 coming off the bench), and his two back-ups respectively 6 goals in 9(5) appearances and 3 goals in 3(7) games.

Crosses (both from the byline and deep) to the far post are the main source with which I trigger them

Can you pls show me your Tactic? It look like that what i want. 

13 ore fa, Helldragon ha scritto:

Can you pls show me your Tactic? It look like that what i want. 

I'm not at PC atm and I'm not sure when the next time I'll be able to open FM will be, but I can tell you the tactic with my eyes closed :D

Is a 4411 DM with the AMC positioned in the AMCR spot. This is my default tactic, tweaks happen based on the opposition

From right to left

GKd

IWBs

CBd

CBd

WBa

Wa

DLPs

VOLa

WMs

AMs

TFs

Balanced mentality, Play for set pieces, Counter, Distribute to CBs, Mid block, Higher DL, Press more often, Trap Outside, Invite Crosses.

PIs: WBa and Wa aim crosses at TF, WMs sit narrower and cross less often, VOLa and AMs take more risks, AMs get further forward

On 18/01/2024 at 10:04, Helldragon said:

If you have someone tall, aggressive, brave with good strength and heading then tell your team to hit early crosses. If he's playing centrally then tell the wide players to cross centrally or cross to target forward through PI's. You can tell your goalkeeper to distribute to him as well. 

Edited by silentwars

Update: These are my two tactics that I currently use that deploy a TF

IMG_20240201_100809.png.0c252119e3d7dd1f65abe5ae93bf7d38.png

IMG_20240201_100726.png.5685571655002c32343d3af0c7067734.png

The first is the one I use against most teams, that are at my level or lower, while the second is the one I use against tougher opponents. Small adjustments are made here and there based on the opponent and the moments of the match. With these tactics here are the performances of my three TFs in the squad (Hornby is obviously the starter, Diabatè and Coulibaly alternated as reserves)

Hornby.png.19af4a7e0634abb27859535d06172700.png

Coulibaly.png.384aa7e700d2745456dd2718c55fd01b.png

Diabate.png.fcdfbd16ee4745dbf4fd2672eb45f238.png

2 hours ago, Fox-7- said:

Update: These are my two tactics that I currently use that deploy a TF

IMG_20240201_100809.png.0c252119e3d7dd1f65abe5ae93bf7d38.png

IMG_20240201_100726.png.5685571655002c32343d3af0c7067734.png

The first is the one I use against most teams, that are at my level or lower, while the second is the one I use against tougher opponents. Small adjustments are made here and there based on the opponent and the moments of the match. With these tactics here are the performances of my three TFs in the squad (Hornby is obviously the starter, Diabatè and Coulibaly alternated as reserves)

Hornby.png.19af4a7e0634abb27859535d06172700.png

Coulibaly.png.384aa7e700d2745456dd2718c55fd01b.png

Diabate.png.fcdfbd16ee4745dbf4fd2672eb45f238.png

Interesting tactics. I can see what you’re trying to do with the movement. Good defensive shape then pour forward on the counter. Nice work.

I love Diabaté’s stats. Great hulking lump with the turning circle and acceleration of an oil tanker, but will run and fight all day. A nightmare to defend against!

I have used a TM/A in a flat 4-4-2. I reckon a gegenpress style works better than the traditional long ball style, though. You can start with the gegenpress preset and use a front pairing of DLF/S + TM/A for example.

1 ora fa, NineCloudNine ha scritto:

Interesting tactics. I can see what you’re trying to do with the movement. Good defensive shape then pour forward on the counter. Nice work.

I love Diabaté’s stats. Great hulking lump with the turning circle and acceleration of an oil tanker, but will run and fight all day. A nightmare to defend against!

Yeah, it's a 4-4-1-1 a little more modern than the classic kick & rush. In possession I try to get the 2-3-5 or 3-2-5 shape, even if WM on the left despite having hold position and sit narrower doesn't line up exactly with DM/IWB or DLP and he is still wider and more roaming than I wish it in order to free up VOL and WB/FB, but it's currently the best option I've found.

Basically I'm trying to build over the years a tough and annoying team to beat, looking for aggression, bravery, strength, tackling, work rate, determination, jumping reach (as well as height) as main characteristics (dirty behavioral traits are welcomed) and play on these as main weapons, with a strong defense and a clinical attack.

Edited by Fox-7-

10 hours ago, kingjericho said:

I have used a TM/A in a flat 4-4-2. I reckon a gegenpress style works better than the traditional long ball style, though. You can start with the gegenpress preset and use a front pairing of DLF/S + TM/A for example.

Gegenpress works better at all times, with all systems. It's the 'win' button.

I can't see a target man making much difference to the way the game pans out with it 

14 hours ago, kingjericho said:

One thing I've liked to do is to play a TF profile player as a PF(s), this keeps the aerial approach option open without funneling too much of the play through him route 1 style. You do need a slightly more mobile player than just sheer height, but I've used this frequently in my own setups. 

On 01/02/2024 at 22:44, ceefax the cat said:

Gegenpress works better at all times, with all systems. It's the 'win' button.

I can't see a target man making much difference to the way the game pans out with it 

I notice that teammates cross a lot more to the TM

I used a 4-4-2 most of the time in my rebuilding Man United save, with Lorenzo Lucca scoring for fun as a target man, so it can be done.

I’m in season 5 now and Lorenzo has moved on so sadly I can’t share in detail how I did it. However, it was a solid variation of the 4-4-2 wing play in built tactic.

In trickier games I abandoned the 4-4-2 though for an extra centre mid, away to top sides for example. So don’t use it constantly. Mix and match, mix and match.