FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by ledzepman:

Hi, I am new, so this is my first post. I have always taken a look at this forum anyway but have never managed to provide any input, but that is about to change!

OK, I have just started my 3rd season as United boss, first season was a sham, sold a load of players, brought some young ones in and finished 3rd, won no cups. Second season I won the Premiership and FA Cup but lost out in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League. Have won the Charity Shield and my first Premiership match of the new season.

I have decided, for once, to play the squad game and really give my young players as many chances as I can.

My squad is roughly as follows:

GK - Akinfeev, Foster, Van der Sar

DF - Zuiverloon, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown, O'Shea, Kieran Lee, Johnny Evans, Danny Simpson, Odaja-Ofie (I know that is spelt wrong)

MF - Carrick, Hargreaves, Aguero, Matias Fernandez, Ronaldo, Anderson, Walcott, Nani, Adrien, Ninis, Possebon, Stelvio

FW - Henry, Rooney, Saivet, Teixeira.

I have some exciting youngsters and some of my first team youngens hang out in the reserves for lagre periods as well. I am going to buy another experienced at the end of this season when Henry is 32/33. I am not sure who though, the candidates at the moment are Berbatov and Adriano. Any suggestions?

Saviet would be good enough in your 3rd season to play in your first team. Failing that I would try for someone like Bojan, Michael Owen, David Villa or similar.

You could try Jose Baxter from Everton, or Zeefuick (sp)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by joker2007:

Hi, me noob here. Been gathering info from reading some of the posting here. icon_wink.gif

I had got some questions that I hope you guys here can help me out. Hope I am posting at the right thread.

Current squad.

Goalkeeper :

Ben Foster, Tomasz Kuszczak, Edwin van der Sar

Defender :

Gary Neville, John O Shea, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Gerard Pique, Daniel Alves

Midfielder :

Mathieu Flamini, Owen Hardreaves, Michael Carrick, Nani, Park Ji-Sung, Cristiano Ranaldo, Anderson, Paul Scholes

Strikers :

Sergio Aguero, Rooney, Tevez

Bought In :

Petri Pasanen, Mamadou Sakho, Joe Mattock, Adrien, Aaron Ramsey, Thiago, Kazengu LauLau, Georginio Wijnaldum, Henri Saviet, Mika Aaritalo, Aquino, Simen Rafn ( Yth ), Niklas Barkroth ( Yth ), John Fleck ( Yth ), Jose Baxter ( Yth ).

Need advice on the following :

For oldies like Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes, should I renew their contracts ?

Read that they only would retire after 09/10 seasons. But not sure if its wise to keep them around.

I am currently finishing my second season, I would like advice on who should I sell and buy to make way for a better team.

I am currently using 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

Neville and VDS are good for back up. I find that Scholes fitness lets him down as he is only good for 60 mins. You can put them all in the reserves though to bring the youth through.

I would try for someone like Silva (about 32m) and bring through Saivet.

Yo joker,

VDS has the best mental stats for a GK, bring in a -9 for him to tutor and sell foster later if you wish.

Neville, giggs and scholes are full time tutors in my second season. Superb mental stats as well, your youngsters need them, especially saivet, wijnaldum.

Pasanen will make a good tutor as well, Rio has the "try to play way out of trouble" ppm, which I don't like.

Ok quick reply needed.

I haved just started a new game with Man United on 8.02 with the Weegie Update and Im in June in my first season.

Joao Moutinho of Sporting and Andrea Barzagli of Palermo have both been transfer listed.

I've had a 8.5 million pound bid accepted for Moutinho and 5.5 million for Barzagli.

Question is should I go through with the deals?

I have 26 million left to spend after selling Fletcher.

Hi All..

I am in my first season with 8.02 Patch with my Man U team.. We are 2 points behind chelsea on the boxing day but I think we will catch up since we gonna play home against them and Ronaldo (my top scores) will be back after 3 months injury..

I have a little problem.. For the last 3 months, I started to loss money.. Like 4-6 million pounds a month.. What should I do? I dont want to sell Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, ect.. icon_frown.gif

After much consideration, I decide to sell off the following :

Ben Foster, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Park Ji-Sung.

Either I would get 1 or 2 players in as replacement or will promote those youngsters.

Any suggestions ?

Originally posted by baz1:

Ok quick reply needed.

I haved just started a new game with Man United on 8.02 with the Weegie Update and Im in June in my first season.

Joao Moutinho of Sporting and Andrea Barzagli of Palermo have both been transfer listed.

I've had a 8.5 million pound bid accepted for Moutinho and 5.5 million for Barzagli.

Sounds like two good deals to me. I would buy them.

Either I would get 1 or 2 players in as replacement or will promote those youngsters.

Any suggestions ?

Depends what year you are in and what the rest of the squad looks like.

Originally posted by Hitchy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baz1:

Ok quick reply needed.

Sounds like two good deals to me. I would buy them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I confirmed Moutinho but Barzagli rejected me and moved to Fiorentina icon_mad.gif

Any suggestions ?

I'd consider selling Rio, almost everyone in the team list him as favored player. No money can buy that relationship.

Hmm ... can anyone verify that if I sell him would the team be not happy with me ?

if not I can sell away Nemanja Vidic to make way for Gerard Pique.

I notice that the newer version mostl of the clubs seems to have lots of money to spent. Real Madrid actually offer me about 100m for Ronaldo. And the transfer sums seems to be like crazy.

Hmm ... can anyone verify that if I sell him would the team be not happy with me ?

if not I can sell away Nemanja Vidic to make way for Gerard Pique.

I notice that the newer version mostl of the clubs seems to have lots of money to spent. Real Madrid actually offer me about 100m for Ronaldo. And the transfer sums seems to be like crazy.

I wouldn't sell Rio. The players love him and so do the fans. I sold him once and I wasn't popular with the OT faithful.

Keep Vidic and let him, Rio and Pique rotate? Unless you've got other DCs?

The team will not be unhappy with you, not for long anyways. Having team mates favor playing with each other will help you win games, especially difficult away games. Think of Barca and Milan away, massive. You will need every edge to win.

Hmm ... cice2, u got a point there.

Currently I have Gerard Pique ( 22 yrs ), Evan ( 21 ) and Sakho ( 19 ).

Some of the youngsters I signed have fast coming up to age, so unless I loan them out for more experience, they would wanna trade out or demand for more first team actions.

Who should I buy as an attacking midfielder and not too expensive? I'm using 4-5-1 tactic right now with two defensive midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders. For attacking midfielders i use Ronaldo, Giggs and Piatti. So any suggestion?

Zizo.. An attacking wide-player or someone who plays through the middle?

Given the players listed im assuming wide-player.

As Jonahno suggested, A.Valencia is a great buy at about £8m. Used him myself.

Otherwise.. J.Menez, H.Ben Arfa, A.Di Maria, S.Carzola are all good.

ok guys im new to this thread as i hadnt seen it before, although thats because i was rarely in the gdg forum. im starting the second season with the reds and so i wont say much about the first, only that i won the treble and the charity shield. yeah great season but very tough, got barca in semis of champions league and chelsea in final and all three mathces involved were quite fortuitous admit except barca home. anyway on to the first update of second season

Pre-season update 08/09

Transfers In: sebastian kehl(free), christian pander (free), julio baptista 8.25 mil, daniel alves (20 mil + 20mil over 24 months), manuel neuer( 20 mil), cani( 7.75 mil), christoph metzelder (10 mil).

Transfers Out: garay (11mil), park ji sung(4mil), steven defour(20 mil) then a couple of releases as contract was finished

Formation: 4-2-2-2

Squad: gk:neuer/vds

rb:dani alves/paulo ferreira( great buy for just 600k)/neville

cds:ferdinand+vidic/ o'shea/metzelder

lb:evra/pander

cm:hargreaves+kehl/carrick/scholes/anderson

rw:ronaldo/nani/cani

lw:cani/nani/giggs

cfs:gomez+rooney/tevez/baptista

Expectations for the season: 1st in prem league, win fa cup, semis of champs league. already won charity shield (4-1 v arsenal) and european super cup (3-2 v lyon)

Pre-season odds:if i remember well(odds news already deleted) were 2/1 favourites

Remaining transfer budget:5.98 mil

Remaining wage budget:1.62 mil wage budget. 136k available

Has anyone ever played with Man Utd long enough to clear their debt, or know if it is even possible.

I'm into the 11/12 season and have been winning at least 2 trophies per season but I'm still in £680m of debt.

Quick update: In 2011/2012 and I signed Balotelli for free. Menez is considering a contract offer and also got Eden Hazard, all for free. The last 2 are not needed so will b loaned out and eventually sold on.

Breno is my outstanding player for the past 2 years. World class defender at 22! Has rating of 8+ in most games. A MUST BUY!!

I've justed finished my 3rd season, I had the best season you can possibly have!

Lost Charity Shield

WON League Cup

Won Premier League

Won FA Cup

Won Champions Cup

I think I was really lucky to win the Champions Cup because I was losing 0-1 nil to Real Madrid and ended 2-1 to me in the final and Real had as many chances as I did.

Won FA 3 times in a row now icon_biggrin.gif

successhw7.jpg

By seals

My current squad, think I need a new striker, a central midfielder (play 3 central midfielders) and a new right back to replace Pasanen.

3rdseasonhg5.jpg

By seals

Have started up playing my Utd game again currently just starting season 2011/12.

Have a 100,000 all seater stadium with the club estimated value at £964m but with a debt of £680m.

Weekly wage bill is only £1.5m per week and have a massive transfer budget of £182m. Desparate to get Fabregas but Arsenal having none of it.

Last years Champions League Final vs Chelsea:

Blitzed them with 5 goals in the first 32 mins.

06142008135324rs7.th.jpg

This years Community Shield vs Chelsea, totally destroyed them and Cech ended up with a 10 rating!!

06142008135450fe9.th.jpg

Current squad playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with no wingers.

06142008135705qs5.th.jpg

IN MY THIRD SEASON WITH UNITED...ALREADY IN THE HALL OF FAME

SEASON ONE: I WON THE CHARITY SHIELD, LEAGUE, FA CUP & CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, KNOCKED OUT OF THE LEAGUE CUP IN THE THIRD ROUND :-(

SECOND SEASON: I WON THE LEAGUE, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, LEAGUE CUP, F.A CUP & CHARITY SHIELD

THIRD SEASON SO FAR: EURO CUP WINNERS, SECOND IN THE LEAGUE, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE KNOCKOUT STAGES, QTR FINAL OF F.A CUP

LOST CHARITY SHIELD :-(

CURRENT SQUAD

GK: EDWIN VAN DER SAR, DEAN BOUZANIS, JUAN PABLO CARIZZO

DF: EVRA, VIDIC, FERDINAND, NEVILLE, TAIWO, BROWN, DANELLI.

MF: MATA, NANI, ANDERSON, CARRICK, SCHOLES, PALOMBO, RONALDO, E.GUDJONSEN

ST: TEVEZ, ROONEY, BOJAN, BILLY SHARP.

THINK I'LL COMPLETE 2 MRE SEASONS WITH UNITED AND THEN MANAGE A TEAM IN A FOREIGN LEAGUE (SERIE A OR SPANISH FIRST DIVISION HOPEFULLY)

Finally finishing the " fighting war " on the transfer market.

Transfer Out

Tevez - 70M ( Always reject when asking him to teach youngsters, ****es me off icon_mad.gif )

Vidic - 45M ( make way for youngsters )

Carrick - 30M ( Cant really perform on my team plus make way for youngsters )

Foster - 10.5M plus clause ( make way for youngsters )

Gibson Darron - 7.25M

Transfer In

Bouzanis Dean - 2.9M

Matic Marko - 1.5M

Caelos Saez - Free

San Roman Jose - 20k

Mensah Kevin - 1.1M

Wilshere Jack - 2M

Berno - 35M

Kobi Shemesh - 250k ( 1.1.2011 )

Gerson - 120k ( 1.1.2011 )

Nicolas Millan - 400k ( 1.1.2010 )

( Hopefully getting them in will be good for the future, if not I don't think I will lose much cos getting them cheap icon_wink.gif )

Loan Out

San Roman Jose ( WP issue )

Welbeck Danny

Matic Marko

Fleck John

Mamadou Sakho

Carlos Saez

Pique Garard ( Seems like cant keep him happy, always wanted to be transfer out icon_confused.gif )

After selling some of the senior members off I decide to promote some of the youngsters to first team.

Bouzanis Dean, Breno, Adrien, Georginio Wijnaldum, Henri Saivet, Aquino.

Does anyone know if Rafael ( D/WB R ) is worth keeping in the team ?

Thanks guys for the advice earlier. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by zizo:

Who should I buy as an attacking midfielder and not too expensive? I'm using 4-5-1 tactic right now with two defensive midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders. For attacking midfielders i use Ronaldo, Giggs and Piatti. So any suggestion?

Fernandez is quality. He's at one of the spanish clubs (villerial i think) and you can pick him up for £11m ish.

Originally posted by Ian Garrigan:

Im starting a completely new season with united hav sold fletcher for 6 million and now have a transfer budget of 13 mil after buying some youngter any advice for what positions i need to improve, who to buy, and to who to sell

You don't need many players in the first season, but I always go for Owen and Fernandez.

You will probably need someone to replace fletcher though, unless Gibson is up to it. I suggest Veloso - who becomes quality. You will need for of a transfer budget than that though. Maybe sell Saha, Silvestre, Bardsley, Eagles and O'shea. Though lots of people love O'shea.

I would get Sahko as a cheap left back, back up or maybe promote Lee from the reserves.

nik tik get marcelo hes brilliant

my starting 11 is

lloris (gk)

alves(rb)

vidic(cb)

ferdinand(cb)

marcelo/evra (lb

nani(lm)

anderson(cm)

Ronaldo(rm)

Teves(amc

Aguero (fc)

rooney(fc)

any suggestions icon_wink.gif

i also have quality youth talent such as

saivet sakho ibrahim wijnaldom sankhare

i sold hargreaves and pique and got over 60 million between them .

who should i buy im using 8.02 patch icon14.gif

Originally posted by jakecullen:

nik tik get marcelo hes brilliant

my starting 11 is

lloris (gk)

alves(rb)

vidic(cb)

ferdinand(cb)

marcelo/evra (lb

nani(lm)

anderson(cm)

Ronaldo(rm)

Teves(amc

Aguero (fc)

rooney(fc)

any suggestions icon_wink.gif

i also have quality youth talent such as

saivet sakho ibrahim wijnaldom sankhare

i sold hargreaves and pique and got over 60 million between them .

who should i buy im using 8.02 patch icon14.gif

Don't know how much money you have but I always try and get David Silva (from Valencia at the beginning). He's a brilliant player. Might be worth getting David Villa if you want to strengthen your striking lineup.

Just finished the 2014/15 season and won Community Shield, League Cup, FA Cup, Premiership and Champions League.

Won Commuinity Shield 12-11 on pens against Arsenal after a 1-1 draw.

Won the League Cup 2-1 against Chelski.

Won Premiership easily:

premiership1415bm7.jpg

Won FA Cup 4-1 agianst Chelski.

Won Champions League 4-0 agianst Arsenal:

championsleaguefinal201jp7.jpg

End of season squad:

manutdsquad201415ia9.jpg

Any improvements I should make? Any positions need improving? Any players need selling? I'm think of selling Ronaldo due to him being 30 now, is that a good idea? Also thinking of selling Bodmer, he has had a great season but he is 32 now, should I sell him?

Thanks icon_smile.gif.

After my demolition of Liverppol, Chelsea fared no better but Arsenal put up a fight...kind off...

CHELSEA 1 - MAN UTD 4

06162008213804in7.th.jpg

MAN UTD 4 - ARSENAL 3

06162008214046ug4.th.jpg

Just had my biggest league win, guess it will teach the Baggies after scoring a flukey opener icon_biggrin.gif

06162008214253pj4.th.jpg

Still trying to unsettle Fabregas but proving to be very hard.

My new style of attacking football proving to be a hit, 21 games played scoring 82 but have conceded 17 which is way more than normal, guess something has to give.

Originally posted by arron52:

well ive managed to unsettle fabregas , he want to come to OT , does anyone have an idea how much you have to bid for him? ive had a £45 mil bid turned down already

Normally about £60m +, but I've never found him to be worth it. You could try getting some youngsters in instead. Micheal Woods from Chelsea is class.

Just finished the fourth season and I won the league and Champpions League.

I play a 3-4-1-2 with

Foster; Pique, Ferdinand, Milto; Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Anderson, Silva; Aguero; Rooney and Owen

I have saivet and tevez who are scoring for fun as well - especially Saivet who is my supersub. Brought some youth in Woods from Cheslea and Thiago from Real Madrid - Also a quality DC from Spurs (but he is dutch and they brougt him a couple of years back) he is only 20 and is quality, think his name is Hoenkena or something similar.

Originally posted by arron52:

cheers hitchy, i take your point about getting youngsters instead but i think that with the squad i already have it would take a superstar like fabregas or the like to improve it further.

How's Rafinha been playing? I'd be tempted to buy Alves for RB or someone like Vincent Kompany for centre half.

I think with Anderson, Banega, Hargreaves and Veloso you have enough quality midfielders.

You might be better off getting Agureo to play in Anderson's position and moving Anderson into midfield?

Originally posted by BW:

Great results adonis

What tactic?

Kimz tactic v2.1 with v1 layout icon_wink.gif

Arsenal want £150m for Fabregas and he is interested but won't be paying that much. No other clubs are interested in him so makes it harder.

Archived