Use of Tactics Mentality and touchline shout

How do you guys plan for tactical mentality?

I mean, in real life, you don't see managers on the touchline saying, "Let's go for 'positive' or 'attacking'," "cautious" or "defensive." Maybe they do set up the plans before the game and change the mentality, for example, when they are one goal down, drawing, or one goal up in certain minutes or scenarios.

More often, you see a team that is one goal down not making a mentality change. They maintain the same tempo and style and then wait for the right moment to go for the equalizer.

I think managers are more likely to use touchline shouts like "encourage" when they are one goal down or "focus" when the opponent creates clear chances.

Feel free to share your experiences and opinions.

4 hours ago, kayyuenchinup said:

I mean, in real life, you don't see managers on the touchline saying, "Let's go for 'positive' or 'attacking'," "cautious" or "defensive." Maybe they do set up the plans before the game and change the mentality, for example, when they are one goal down, drawing, or one goal up in certain minutes or scenarios.

You see them shouting "go forward" or "stay back", which is the equivalent of "attacking" or "defensive - cautious" mentality I guess. Also many underdogs start with cautious and stay there even if they concede indeed. I do it too in FM if I'm heavy underdog.
Oh and they berate a lot too! :P

Mentality is one of the most influential instructions for your team, as it changes many aspects of how your team plays. Making big changes to the mentally during a match or even during the season can have a very bad impact as you loose a lot of familiarity. Only make changes if really necessary or if there is enough time to develop new familiarity.

I would recommend making individual changes to certain instructions and your formation / roles / duties.

19 hours ago, kayyuenchinup said:

More often, you see a team that is one goal down not making a mentality change. They maintain the same tempo and style and then wait for the right moment to go for the equalizer.

I think managers are more likely to use touchline shouts like "encourage" when they are one goal down or "focus" when the opponent creates clear chances.

In reality, mentality is "how do we approach this game". It acted like a vision, with set of goals, when most are instinctive, unlike in the game. What is expected, for short. It's said before the match starts, probably long before.

In a match, we're no longer controlling players, we UNLEASH them. What we do the next is basically just balancing act (hold them back when they're excessive, pushing them when they're too laid back (not doing or misinterpreting our vision).

If they're expecting winning, a draw score would push them forward instinctively. Unlike in the game, when we have to "tell" the players by moving sliders or pushing buttons. Expecting comfortable winning, we don't have to tell players to keep pushing when they've 1-0. And so on.

Edited by Blancos

4 hours ago, kayyuenchinup said:

@Blancosso do you change the mentality during the match? 

Or you adjust player instructions, team instructions or touchline shout?

Let me be honest: I don't want to. But so far, I did 🤭. Most of the time between Control - Attacking back and forth, and sometimes Balanced. I did it because I feel that my current tactic didn't hit the sweetspot where I can attack safely and defend fruitfully without changing the mentality.

Changing instructions, is a must for me, because there are some instructions that I've never understand completely (sometimes I miss "sliders" era. The instructions were less abstract than they were today). I like hands on approach, and I always play with the longest speed available that's not a full match. I like watching them play, learn how to counter opponent's strengths, or exploit their weaknesses, etc. I don't know, I just don't enjoy "sit back and roll the dice" type of playing 😁.

On 04/12/2023 at 08:10, kayyuenchinup said:

Point finger is really good in the press conference. I know a lot of people don't do them, but it's a good way of developing your managerial attributes and hidden stuff like professionalism. 

That being said, it's not very fun to be professional. Throw the water bottle!

Edited by Cloud9