FM24: Aston Villa - The top 6 has a new villain

byron4

Aston-Villa-Logo.thumb.png.0eb2fb607d61af6d759f493da0b381aa.png

Recreating Unai Emery's Aston Villa

The game setup:

1. Remove Unai Emery from the pre game editor.

2. Add new manager as Unai - replicating all attributes gathered from the editor to create his profile, including tactics / tendencies.

3. Starting the season with transfers disabled.

4. Using analysis on current tactics with player availability.

Emery tactics and tendencies:

1. Tactical instructions will be selected based on the 1-20 scale.

2. Formations and player roles will be consistent with Unai's profile.

image.thumb.png.a8fab21d625973f8ebc061de774ed3b3.png

image.thumb.png.f87572ed730a3df529667b788cc9bdd6.png

image.thumb.png.c08ccdd1f0602db517d04cf124859170.png

image.png.87a8f989f81d3077568491bf7eb048ac.png

image.thumb.png.cb086bb70cf57311805cf1ef87068629.png

Initial thoughts:

1. Since beta release, Aston Villa have performed brilliantly under Unai in game. Considering it is being replicated in real life, I was keen to see how that works within the game. I understand this may not be completely accurate, but instead of using my interpretation, I wanted to understand the games interpretation.

2. I consider myself a FM veteran, 24 years and counting, an embarrassing amount of playing hours and a long time forum lurker. Controversially, I have never been a fan of the typical 'exploit' tactics I see on YouTube, not only does this take the fun aspect away from the game, but also the sense of satisfaction. 

3. After looking at many recreations, I can confidently say, only one content creator looks into the depth I hope this little test brings to me - @RDF Tactics. Kudos mate, really enjoy you work.

So, whilst I waste (...invest) a large proportion of my day (...weekend) getting this started, please let me know what you think and share your game progress with Aston Villa. Or equally, what would you like to see or suggest tactically for me to consider ?

This year I'm basing my tactical shape on something I saw in one of JoshDaly's videos. The instructions were a little too OP for my liking so I've simplified them massively, it's more fun to tinker and add instructions during games anyway. It's a 4-4-2 that forms a box behind the front 2. LB and LM pushing up in individual player instructions. The Diaby/Bailey role is a False 9 with permission to roam more to try stretch the line or turn up to overload. I think it replicates how Villa are playing in real life pretty well, it just requires some positional training for the LM and RM slots. Kamara's more likely to play on the right side in real life but I think the left side needs more defensive strength ingame.

image.png.a28767feeacd20f5bc00997d5e9a19d6.png

In terms of transfers I'll usually ship out Chambers, Hause, Dendoncker and Traore. Brought in Stuart Dallas (£7m) and Daniel James (£8m) as backups, really liking high work rate, high teamwork players right now. Diego Carlos usually starts with some interest from Real Madrid but he's not their top target, I'd be inclined to sell if they made an offer as his value drops like a rock after 1 season.

started out with villa and finished first season.Great season actually fınıshed 2nd ın the league won carabao and fa cup also conference league :) played 433 most of the season.Only down sıde was no newgens wıth great potentıal and ollıe watkıns was ın bad form all season.Fİrst season sold konsa and kamara for really bıg money also traore barry.Brought ın tammy abraham and manu kone at mıd season and they gelled quıckly.Its goıng nıce a good fırst team ıf you can set up a good tactıc and role combınatıons :)

2 hours ago, dido53 said:

started out with villa and finished first season.Great season actually fınıshed 2nd ın the league won carabao and fa cup also conference league :) played 433 most of the season.Only down sıde was no newgens wıth great potentıal and ollıe watkıns was ın bad form all season.Fİrst season sold konsa and kamara for really bıg money also traore barry.Brought ın tammy abraham and manu kone at mıd season and they gelled quıckly.Its goıng nıce a good fırst team ıf you can set up a good tactıc and role combınatıons :)

What tactic did you play?

On 06.12.2023 at 20:04, JoOSTAR said:

image.png.c98a195c7cc0a220501e5380ed8c553f.pngthis 

On 06.12.2023 at 20:04, JoOSTAR said:

this is my tactic trying to keep ıt sımple.Only change ıs at the roles sometımes ı play kone as dlp or playıng advandced playmaker at cm spot

On 05/12/2023 at 15:13, HHUK said:

This year I'm basing my tactical shape on something I saw in one of JoshDaly's videos. The instructions were a little too OP for my liking so I've simplified them massively, it's more fun to tinker and add instructions during games anyway. It's a 4-4-2 that forms a box behind the front 2. LB and LM pushing up in individual player instructions. The Diaby/Bailey role is a False 9 with permission to roam more to try stretch the line or turn up to overload. I think it replicates how Villa are playing in real life pretty well, it just requires some positional training for the LM and RM slots. Kamara's more likely to play on the right side in real life but I think the left side needs more defensive strength ingame.

image.png.a28767feeacd20f5bc00997d5e9a19d6.png

In terms of transfers I'll usually ship out Chambers, Hause, Dendoncker and Traore. Brought in Stuart Dallas (£7m) and Daniel James (£8m) as backups, really liking high work rate, high teamwork players right now. Diego Carlos usually starts with some interest from Real Madrid but he's not their top target, I'd be inclined to sell if they made an offer as his value drops like a rock after 1 season.

What kind of PIs have you got with this. I've played something very similar with huge success. Villa great fun to manage this year

3 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

What kind of PIs have you got with this. I've played something very similar with huge success. Villa great fun to manage this year

I like to attack on the left so mainly Gets Further Forward on Zaniolo and Moreno. Roam More on Diaby. I think the deep 4-4-2 shape is really strong in this year's match engine with a mid block and high/mid defensive line, you end up with 8 men behind the ball and it's hard for anyone to pass through you. I've seen the AI manage to qualify for the Champions League a few times with Villa, very fun squad this year!

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished my first season down at Villa Park and overacheived slightly

I won the league with 2 games to spare (Beating Man Utd who were second to win the league, then going to Man City the next game as new champions was incredible) and won the Conference league (although as my wage bill was double the next highest I really should have been expected to)

These are the two formations I played the most - although I did flip the 4-4-1-1 from time to time

FM24Formations.thumb.png.3a26412fd3a2ef228a9b7db020dab06a.png

Some of the league stats really show how much we overachieved: Won 28 with a +42 GD, but my xG per game (1.6) and my xG against (1.03) were only the 6th best in the league; with the actual numbers scored (2pg) and conceeded (0.89pg) were the 2nd and 4th best respectivly.

I absolutley bombed out of the 2 domestic cups though, which annoyed a few people

On 09/01/2024 at 23:31, Aesorian said:

Just finished my first season down at Villa Park and overacheived slightly

I won the league with 2 games to spare (Beating Man Utd who were second to win the league, then going to Man City the next game as new champions was incredible) and won the Conference league (although as my wage bill was double the next highest I really should have been expected to)

These are the two formations I played the most - although I did flip the 4-4-1-1 from time to time

FM24Formations.thumb.png.3a26412fd3a2ef228a9b7db020dab06a.png

Some of the league stats really show how much we overachieved: Won 28 with a +42 GD, but my xG per game (1.6) and my xG against (1.03) were only the 6th best in the league; with the actual numbers scored (2pg) and conceeded (0.89pg) were the 2nd and 4th best respectivly.

I absolutley bombed out of the 2 domestic cups though, which annoyed a few people

Great achievement. I'm playing something very similar and won the league 3 years in a row with villas startin xi still my strongest. It almost feels like cheating. 🤣

15 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

Great achievement. I'm playing something very similar and won the league 3 years in a row with villas startin xi still my strongest. It almost feels like cheating. 🤣

Wow!

Can you share/show your tactic(s) in detail?